News:

Main Menu

World Cup 2018

Started by Remiel, June 18, 2018, 09:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nico

Looking forward to todays games. I hope they will be as dynamic and fast-paced as the ones yesterday had been!

mia h

I know I predicted Portugal to win yesterday, but is it wrong that I'm happy about them losing?
It was always going to be close and Portugal have had a knack of squeaking through games they probably should have lost in the past so I figured history would repeat.
But the look on Ronaldo's face at the end of the match....priceless.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

mia h

OK so Russian are through ???
But how was that not a penalty for grappling inside the area during extra time?

The Green One

OMG... I lost my voice...

Not available for new stories

Deamonbane

I still think the ref should have at least reviewed it, but the way that the Brazilian Commentators explained it was that both players were grabbing and pushing so it constitutes a legal dispute over positioning. I don't particularly agree.

I can't say I'm surprised though. The Spanish team has been struggling with technically gifted players but lacking in inspiration. They were passing the ball a lot, but no penetration was attempted. They miss the likes of Puyol desperately.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Remiel

Quote from: Remiel on June 29, 2018, 09:36:06 AM
My wildly inaccurate prediction is that Spain knocks out Croatia in a surprise upset and goes on to defeat England and then France to take it all.

Meanwhile, Brazil defeats England for Third Place.

So...yeah...about that...

*cough cough*

I have to give the Russians credit.  They had a plan--play a defensive game, deny Spain opportunities, and take their chances with set plays and penalty kicks--and they stuck to it.  Not a great game to watch, but you really can't argue with the result.

Quote from: mia h on July 01, 2018, 11:43:11 AM
OK so Russian are through ???
But how was that not a penalty for grappling inside the area during extra time?

It wasn't a penalty.  There was a bit of pushing and shoving, but nothing that would've impacted a potential goal.

mia h

It was more than just a bit of pushing and shoving, not as bad as what happened in the first England game but at least as bad as the 2 penalties Panama gave away.

The Lovely Tsaritsa

Formless

Croatia VS Denmark was on-the-edge-of-your-seat level of exciting.

This is what World Cup is all about. ;D

And from the look of it, Croatia’s victory against Russia is more probable.

Remiel

Quote from: Formless on July 01, 2018, 04:11:59 PM
And from the look of it, Croatia’s victory against Russia is more probable.

Like Spain's victory against Russia?  :D

This World Cup is cray-cray.

Formless

Quote from: Remiel on July 01, 2018, 05:43:13 PM
Like Spain's victory against Russia?  :D

This World Cup is cray-cray.

While I expect Russia to play the same way they did with Spain, against Croatia, The Croatians have a tendency to break through the opposition's defenses.

Deamonbane

*dances*

Layún, you will not be missed.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

mia h

Japan 2 : Belgium 0, 40 minutes to go. WTF!!

Formless

And now its 2 - 2  8-)

Amelita

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Formless

The chocolatiers bested the samurais.

It was a fantastic second half!

Amelita

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

mia h

Belgium were so lucky with their first goal, that stays out I not sure Belgium get their act together for the next two goals.

Life in Color

Japan vs Belgium - oof.

Cheka Man

The Japanese and Belgians behaved so well, with very few fouls, no cards that I saw and no stupid play acting and rolling around in fake agony or diving in the penalty box.

LostInTheMist

I'm rooting for England (from los Estados Unidos, but I've always liked England) though I doubt they'll be able to win. If they can beat Columbia (who play in EXACTLY the wrong way for England to have success) they will probably make it to the Semis, and suddenly there's no Spain looming.

As for Neymar not getting that call (page 1).... The guy takes dives ALL THE TIME. He's well known for it, and he's been carded for it before. He drew a penalty against Croatia in the 2014 World Cup when he fell down in the penalty box and there was no VAR at the time. Brazil probably won that game WITHOUT the cheating, but still.... Germany gave me joy that tournament. It's the boy who cried wolf situation. When you fake getting fouled several times a game, the times you actually ARE fouled may not be called. Ronaldo does the same thing, taking dives, faking injuries, occasionally getting carded for it. This is why to me, Messi is the best player in the world currently. He doesn't take dives or fake injuries. When he goes down, you KNOW he was fouled. (As an England fan, I am NOT a fan of Argentina, but you gotta tip your cap to Messi.)

I expect Brazil will probably win the tournament, but I want someone else to do it.
My Apologies and Absences  Updated March 24, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: Unusually long bout of insomnia is slowing my posting rate.

mia h

England is an odd one, I want them to win for sporting reasons but politically the far-right would jump on it for various reason. So England to win..... in four years time please.

Nico

And today.

England.

Go Harry!

Remiel

Yeah, I like Neymar, but man, that guy really has to stop the flagrant diving.

And you really have to give Japan credit.  They played well and made Belgium work for it.  Good game, Japan.

Nico

Agreed! Japan was a big surprise.