Dragon Academy (Eden and Tad)

Started by Tad, February 14, 2009, 11:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nadir

Fabian pushed his hair back, his lips twisting down in distraction. "You know how, back before your ancestor tamed the first dragon, how powerful wizards were? How they could open doors to different world, how they could command the elements and all sorts of stuff that sounds insane now? Well, they could. And they did it by using dragons. Grimsword, when the Empire was new and the Empress favoured him - Grimsword made it so killing dragons was an act of treason. And there went the wizard's source of power. We still use dragons - parts of the dead ones - but all the old families remember how much more power there is in the live dragons."

The youth stopped and looked up at Audrey, having looked away, ashamed of the ugly past of his chosen profession. "You'd of heard it tonight if I hadn't told you now. I'd understand if you don't want..." He trailed off and shrugged again unhappily. 

Tad

For a moment Audrey just stares.  These mystical mages that she had always thought so powerful, they used the dragons to do it?  Dragons like Samson? And even now, if he dies in his mourning....  She shudders at the thought.  But looking at the blonde boy and his obvious shame, she can't be mad at him.  With a slight smile on the edge of her lips, she places a hand on his shoulder.

"Well... as long as you don't use the live ones I think we can still manage.  Just no coming after mine....  So come on... show me the wonders of the wizarding halls...."
In the process of moving, so posts may be slow
Need an idea?        Ons and Offs

Nadir

Fabian relaxed when she touched his shoulder and he offered her a weak smile. "No, no live ones. If we had to do that, I wouldn't..." he stopped and shook his head. "I really love dragons. They're just... free. You know what I mean. I just wish I could be in your shoes. Oh, to ride one..." The look in his eyes became dreamy and he led her through to the mage's side of the dinning hall.

It was the same size, thought the tables were newer, and the decoration was quite different - there were strange looking symbols and runes over the walls, painted and glimmering with gold gilt. The tables were of a pale wood, and there were dark, burnt in inscriptions down the straight legs. "I think we have bare walls because of the third years - they get over excited when they first learn fire charms." He didn't sound too thrilled at the prospect of learning magic, the wistful tone in his voice a lingering effect from thinking about 'Jack's luck.   

Tad

Audrey looks around in wonder a the strange symbols lining the walls.  "Wow... do all those symbols mean something?  They look so... powerful."  Stepping over to one of the tables, she runs her fingers across the dark burns.  There is something intriguing about each of the marks, and she finds herself wishing she'd get to understand them.  Then an idea strikes her.

"Hey... maybe we could work together a bit.  I mean, I won't get a dragon for a while, but I'll get to see them.  Maybe I can sneak you in there... and then maybe you can tell me some of this... what they mean and stuff."  She looks hopefully at the blonde boy beside her, praying he'd find that idea as interesting as she does.  Well, and that they wouldn't get killed or something for trying to learn about the other group's lessons.  That could be a problem too.

Nadir

The Welsh lad pointed to one mark, an inverted J framed by two crescents. "Well, I know that is part of a silence charm. And... that one," his pointed finger swung to a trio of squirming lines, "is to keep water from rising. I think they are meant to curb power. Just so we can eat without worrying about stray hexes." He gave her a lopsided grin that wavered a moment later. "They give us a set of rings, too, that we have to wear if we leave academe grounds. I tried them on - it made my head feel like it was full of bees." He grimaced at the memory.

At her suggestion, he grinned widely. "Really? I'd love it! Most magi who come here hardly ever see them-" he stopped suddenly, his expression freezing. A moment later, Audrey heard it too, several voices rising and falling in conversation, coming closer from the doorway to the main building. Fabian's eyes grew wide, but before they could act, four students came into the hall. One was young, as young as Fabian, but the others were older, like 'Jack's mentor.

"-wouldn't have been able to pull it off without... ah, Fabian. I was wondering where you'd gotten to." The speaker was tall and narrow, his face angular and his voice accented with an odd mix of Southern England and French. His hair was black and caught behind his head, and his eyes were a light blue. They flicked between Fabian and Audrey. His lips curved in a slight smile. "Another first-y, I see. You know you two shouldn't be wandering about without a mentor. Who knows where you might end up." 

Tad

From Fabian's wide eyes she can tell that their being seen isn't a good thing.  She'd just grabbed his arm and started moving towards the exit they'd come through when the four boys intercepted them.  Knowing that running through a building she's unfamiliar with could be even worse than anything the boys could do, she decides to stand her ground and ride it out.  Hopefully the students of magic aren't quite as into fist fights as the squires seem to be.

Standing there silently, she tries to remember what she'd been taught about fighting.  Make fists with your thumbs outside or you'll break them. Keep your hands up to protect your head and face.  Don't let them get on top of you.  And of course... protect your friend.

Doing her best to keep all that in mind, Audrey starts to pull at Fabian's arm again.  Under her breath she hisses "Come on..."  Doing her best to move the blonde boy around the taller bunch, she has a hope that maybe, just maybe they can get away without anything bad happening.

Nadir

Fabian glanced at Audrey, moving with her, trying to circle around the higher years. He looked back at the speaker, and smiled at him as if he was a friend he hadn't seen in years. "Hello Edward, Spencer, Jarred. You're right Edward. We'd better go and find our mentor. I just wanted to make sure he knew where the dinning hall was..."

"So he wouldn't get lost in the cellars in his first night here, like you?" sneered one of the other boys.

Fabian's bright smile didn't waver as they laughed. "See you all at dinner," he murmured with a slight bow. They were close to the door now, so close to escape!

But it wasn't to be. Edward sidestepped in front of them, his smile widening so his teeth glinted through. "Now now, no need to rush, cousin. I'm beginning to think you don't like me, always scurrying away from me. If that wasn't bad manners enough, you neglect to introduce us to your little friend."

The quietest of the older trio spoke up, his voice low and rasping. "Whoever it is, he has a Grim look to him."

The silence that followed that loomed over Aubrey and Fabian. The four stared at 'Jack', as if they could read her heritage as easily as they could read a book.

Edward waved his hand casually through the air, a theatrically dismissive gesture that made Fabian tense and edge back. "Don't be ridiculous, Spencer. He's not a Grimsword. Are you?"   

Tad

Audrey realized she was trapped as soon as the words left the older boy's mouth.  She couldn't... wouldn't... deny her heritage.  But if she acknowledged it the larger boys would know not only that she was a squire, but one of the lead family as well.  It was unlikely that knowledge will make them more respectful, considering how they treat Fabian even with his lineage.  They would probably just take it as even more of an excuse to pummel the pair.

With either answer leading to larger issues, she decided to stay quiet.  Still, she couldn't quite hide the anger she felt at how dismissively they said her family name.  Thinking of her brother and father, her fists tightened and she had to bite her lip to keep from saying something she'd later regret.  As long as she kept silent, they couldn't prove anything about her.  Then all she needed to do is get back to the squire's side and they won't be able to follow her. Not without risking a beating of their own.

Keeping her eyes on Edward, Audrey stepped slightly in front of Fabian.  She was certain she'd had more training in combat than he, despites the limits of her own experience in it.  Plus, she would rather protect her friend than let them both get beaten to a pulp.

Nadir

Edward waited for her reply, but as the silence stretched his eyebrow rose in an arrogant arch. "So silent. No one who you should be mingling with Fabian, would do less than slap my cheek and demand satisfaction for such a slur." His attention returned to Audrey, and gave her a mockingly deep bow. "Offspring of the Mage-Bane, what an honour it is! We have heard so much about your kinsmen. Such a sturdy, resourceful breed." It was said with a mild disgust and his lip twisted as if he had smelled something foul. "Wasn't it Grimsword in the broardsheets a few weeks ago - lost a good half of the bloodline in one little misadventure... Lord Jack, isn't it? Pity you didn't die along with them."

"Wasn't it a deer in the road, or a cow? They should knight it for national service" chimed in another. They had spread out in a half circle, penning Fabian and Audrey in.

Fabian had shrank back, cowed by the older boys and his kinsman - and then he panicked and bolted, dodging between the youngest of their tormentors and the one called Spencer.

Edward looked furious as Fabian dashed away, half torn between giving pursuit and staying with 'Jack'.

Tad

That glance away was all that Aubrey needed.  To have such insults thrown at her departed family was too much.  While it may have been uncertain how she would have responded when she was still the girl of the family, the freedom of being Jack kept her from having to worry about appearances.  With rage she had never felt before, she threw herself at Edward, not even noticing as Fabian fled behind her.  The older boy's temporary distraction allowed her to strike him unawares, and she drives a fist into his jaw with all the force she can muster.  Though the strike was off center and not strong enough to knock him out, the force behind it was enough to knock him backwards and allow Audrey to force him to the ground under her.

The lessons she'd had in fighting had helped, no doubt, but this was the first blow she'd ever struck in anger.  Even as her body readied another blow, a small portion of her mind noted the pain in her knuckles where the skin had split slightly.  It will certainly be sore once the adrenaline and rage wear off, but for now the slightly oozing scratches are just an interesting thing to note.

Slamming her fist into Edward's nose this time, she grinned as it starts to bleed immediately.  The fierce expression twisted her face into a mask of hatred, but at that moment she didn't care.  All she could think about was hurting this bastard who dared to insult her family.  Of making him beg to take back his words.

Nadir

Edward grunted and jerked back in surprise and pain when 'Jack' punched him, then staggered when she punched his face again. He backed away, one hand going to his face, his expression stunned that she had struck. The other to upper years, Spencer and Jarred, grabbed Audrey's upper arms and clouted her a few times around the head, open-fisted but rough, dizzying blows that wouldn't leave marks.

"Strike me, would you?" hissed Edward with a gleeful venom in his tone. "Little country runt, you'll never regret doing anything so much in your life!" His hands moved and his lips twitched, and the air before him wavered and distorted like a heat mirage - but before anything more could happen, one of the boys holding her leg go with a breathless curse and slashed his own hand with a snarled phrase that sounded complex and exotic. The spell Edward had been weaving rushed outwards and all five of them swayed at the sudden push of air. Edward glared at the other boy with the same boiling rage, but Jarred - or was it Spencer? - spoke fast.

"Don't throw away your life to teach a bonebrained squire manners, Teddy. You know how strict they are about that."

There was a heavy silence and Edward rolled his shoulders and jerked his chin and agreement. "Let him go. Come, Grimrunt, let's have at it your way!" Edward lifted his fists before him like a ring boxer, his confidence not diminished even by the sluggish crawl of blood that was running from one nostril.   

Tad

After the blows, Audrey was dazed but could still feel the anger boiling inside.  But as Edward waved his hands an additional sensation of energy begins to stretch around the 'boys', it seemed to clear her head just enough for rationality to reassert itself.  Not only was she outnumbered, but these opponents had a power that she couldn't possibly match.  Her struggles lessened slightly as fear began to grip her, her eyes watching widely as the energy grows stronger and stronger.  Then the other seems to break it, and her whole body feels relief at its passing.

She was still disoriented from the blows and the almost completed magic when she was released and shoved towards Edward.  With no time for preparation, she stumbled forward and only narrowly avoided running directly into the older boy.  Dodging to the side, she raised her own fists in defense.  But without the rage and its drive, she hung back and waited for her foe to make the first move.

Nadir

Edward's venous glare promised pain. His two friends had backed off a little and watched silently. The younger boy was watching with wide eyes and gaping mouth.

When nothing happened for a few moments, one of the boys said in his nasal tones, "Come on, Eddy. Show the little toerag!"

The apprentice bared his teeth in an ugly snarl and went for 'Jack', his fist lashing out in a jab to her face - missed - and swung at her again, clipping her jaw. He was obviously unused to this sort of fighting. One of the older boys, the one who had cut off Edward's spell, broke away to stand by the door, acting look out. The other and the first year stayed, calling encouragement and suggestions to Edward.

Tad

The blow to her jaw stunned Audrey, making her head swim.  She stumbled backwards, blinking as her eyes started to water.  When he swung at her again, she took the opportunity and swung back.  His attack barely connects, and she is able to thrust her small fist forward as well.  It connected with the side of his head, just in front of his ear.  The impact shot pain up her arm as a small crack sounds.  The fiery ache was like nothing she had ever felt before and she instinctively knew that one of the bones in her hand had snapped.

Biting her lip, Audrey attempted to shift her stance to bring up her other hand.  There was no way she could hit again with the damaged hand, and her ability with her left hand was much less.  The fight was already over... it was just a question of when the other boys would realize it.