On the rising plague of right-wing violence.

Started by Vekseid, May 02, 2017, 11:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Floyd

My husband and I woke up on that fateful November morning 2016, and the first thing we did was check the news to see that Trump had won.  We made our cups of coffee and sat on the porch stunned. He says to me, “I haven’t felt this way since 9/11.”  I said to him, “I was thinking the exact same thing.”

My transgender son had recently finished Navy bootcamp under the Obama era policy change to accept transgender people into the military.  Now, the new Commander and Chief had gotten in bed with the fundamentalist Christians.  My son was treated very poorly and forced to live as a woman for the entirety of his time in the Navy.

Come to find out, my whole extended family voted for Trump, even though they knew my son was already having to deal with Texas Republicans and some Democrats trying to ban transgender people from public spaces by drafting unreasonable and dangerous bathroom bills.

In my opinion, women, over 50% of the population, have been the biggest losers in this fight against the extreme right-wing and fundamentalist Christians.  Women went from having the first President to call himself a feminist, to the first President who claimed to grab women by their genitals.  Someone mentioned that domestic violence went up and why wouldn’t it when the President had physically and sexually abused his own ex-wife.  They want women to make their babies while cutting their insurance and closing down the only women’s healthcare facilities available to many women who are poor.  Women all over the country who have been sexually abused were retraumatized by the over 60 million Americans who either listened to the Russian propaganda or listened to their fundy (fundamentalist), filthy rich, televised preachers. There aren’t enough therapists for the substantial increase in mental health problems. Do I even have to mention what they did to Roe v Wade? The clock was set decades back, and women are now farther away from equality than they were before.

Fundamentalism doesn’t come only from Christians.  All three Abrahamic fundamentalist religions have crushed women for thousands of years.  The idea of a church state horrifies me.  I also have a daughter and fear for her safety.  It was already unsafe before, for women and for all minority groups.  Talk to anyone who isn’t brainwashed by this wave and they can tell you how something got worse for them.  One major way is the division it has caused inside families.

I can’t believe I’m posting about politics lol.  Ya’ll won’t see me in this section often because I’d rather escape from it in a site like this.

Azy

And worst of all, the January 6th riot.  Liberal people in this country were not happy when Trump was declared the winner in 2016, but we didn't act that way.  Yeah, there was talk of a stolen election, but I think that was mostly in reference to Russian interference.  The capitol building was not stormed in an effort to overturn the results.  Yeah, we wanted him out, but Democrats were looking at things like the 25th Amendment, aka legal ways of removing him. 

It went from your woman lost, get over it and fuck your feelings, to fuck the Constitution.  We want what we want and nothing is going to stand in our way.   

gaggedLouise

Just wanted to point out that this landmark film on the topic can be watched for free on Youtube (at least for now - no idea how long it will remain up). Gregory Peck's performance as Atticus Finch is one of the high points of his career, and the film as a whole is both poetic, exciting and intensely revealing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS_nqbtborc

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Vekseid

Well this has happened.

I wonder how many innocent people will get murdered before radicalization is actually tackled as a problem.