Ten Weirdest New Animals

Started by WyldRanger, December 08, 2010, 09:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyldRanger

Saerrael

Oh my god, that purple octopus is adorable <3

DarklingAlice

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Salamander

My personal favourite is the squidworm, but they're all pretty amazing.

Thanks for sharing.  :D

Oniya

Quote from: Salamander on December 09, 2010, 09:38:52 AM
My personal favourite is the squidworm, but they're all pretty amazing.

Thanks for sharing.  :D

Is it a squid?  Is it a worm?  To hell with it - we're calling it a squidworm!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Shjade

Quote from: Oniya on December 09, 2010, 12:01:54 PM
Is it a squid?  Is it a worm?
Is it an animal designed for "recreational activities?" >.>;
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Schrödinger

Quote from: Shjade on December 13, 2010, 07:29:12 PM
Is it an animal designed for "recreational activities?" >.>;

At those depths, I sincerely doubt it.

The fact that we still discover terrestrial creatures, nevermind aquatic species, has me giddy about biology and science altogether.

Pity we have to have a few of these critters on our dinner platters first before recognizing them as new species.

[li]
Schrödinger's O/O[/li]
[li]Plot ideas![/li][/list]

AtlasEros

great pics, very interesting stuff.  I've only seen pics of a few of those before.
O/O

jorick

I like the squidworm, it's a delightfully silly name.  And it looks pretty cool too.

That monkey looks like it's dying though.. :|

Fleetingsanity

The Yeti Crab is pretty weird looking though that one is a bit old now of the pictures there I would have to say the purple octopus is pretty boss looking.

Darkness

I like the purple octopus as well .But they are all pretty interesting. Nice find ^_^

Akujo

I'm a fan of that squid worm ... the Pink Handfish looks a little bit too much like somebody I already know.. though...... XD

Brandon

Think I have to throw my vote in for the chibiesque purple octopus. Just something about it makes it look cute

All of them are pretty interesting, seeing stuff like this always makes me wonder how much more there is to discover in our world. Let alone beyond it
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Dino

Now THIS is my kind of thread.

When I saw the wood eating catfish, I was like BAHAHAHAHA! until they said it was an underwater photo.  That would have been a brilliant hoax.  I was kind of surprised that they suggested that the scientists couldn't tell a polychaete from a mollusk - those "bristles" as they call them are quite obviously not squidish, but many polychaetes have them.  Its where the name comes from: many hairs.  Actually, I was so indignant that I looked up the story HERE which says they perhaps thought it was a worm eating a squid.  In any event, that is a sexy beast.

And NOW, for your viewing pleasure, I give you THIS.  I stumbled on this a few weeks ago and fell in love.  Particularly awesome (besides anglerfish/frogfish/batfish/blopfish):  Watusi cattle, tarsier O.O, barreleye fish, and soft-shelled turtle.  I'm really in love with all of the fish and cephalopods... :)  Anywho, the pics change, so keep checking back.

Enjoy!

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Fae Brin

No one else has mentioned the self-cloning lizard? @.@

It blew my mind.
The idea hovered and shivered delicately, like a soap bubble, and she dared not even look at it directly in case it burst. 
But she was familiar with the way of ideas, and she let it
shimmer, looking away, thinking about something else.
and a subtle fear [capture d] my  h  e  a  r  t.
already [wet] and we're gonna go s w i m ming

Dino

Quote from: Oniya on March 03, 2011, 03:48:57 PM
I stumbled on this photo series while re-checking the 'wood eating catfish' story.  Isn't this guy cute?

I LOVE blob fish.  I love all fish, really.

Quote from: Fae Brin on March 03, 2011, 08:30:00 PM
No one else has mentioned the self-cloning lizard? @.@
It blew my mind.

I saw that.  :)  I learned about it in Evo bio last year though, so I wasn't "shocked" by it.  STILL - very cool.  Its the only vertebrate we know of that uses asexual reproduction, right?

Revolverman

Looks like some bastard threw this poor guy out of a plane!

Shadax

Hehe, I like the poisonous sea slug... it looks like a prop from the original star trek...

The top prize for weird looking critters has to go to the video of the worm colonies in the North Carolina sewers. They way they respond to the light and heat from the cameras is horror film freakish!
"The level of subtlety in their relationship is comparable to the level of subtlety possessed by a herd of rainbow unicorns."

Saerrael

Net-casting Spider is not amused by having his picture taken.
Not long after it, the photographer mysteriously vanished...

Shjade

Those are some friggin' big eyes for a spider. Damn.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Wolfy

Everyone say it with me.

D'AWWW....

gaggedLouise

Voting for the ninja slug. ;) The purple octopus is very cool too.

This one is amazing too, though it's no longer around - the fossilized bones were found two years ago:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livyatan_melvillei

The biggest true teeth ever! And I love it how they named the genus Leviathan - after the Biblical monster - and when it turned out the name had already been used for another extinct animal, a naming that was no longer in use though, they settled for using the original Hebrew spelling instead. And melvillei pointing to the author of Moby Dick, of course. Perfect for this megashark-like monster.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Hemingway

Pink handfish. That sounds like a silly internet meme. xD

Also, self-cloning lizards and armored fish? We're screwed.

Skye

Quote from: Wolfy on May 11, 2011, 02:29:08 AM

Everyone say it with me.

D'AWWW....

D'AWWW! I'm not a fan of tentacles. But this is adORABLE!
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]