News:

Main Menu

Hapless people

Started by Vekseid, May 17, 2007, 08:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Owie...

Some people have all the bad luck. Whether you call them accident-prone, or just unfortunate, there's a group of people who really do have more mishaps than others.

Everyone seems to know a comic or tragic figure who tends to get into scrapes, but until now it has been hard to show whether they are genuinely more accident-prone than others. To answer this question, Ellen Visser and colleagues at the University Medical Center Groningen in the Netherlands analysed the results of 79 studies which examined how prone people are to having accidents. In all, the studies recorded the mishaps suffered by 147,000 people, drawn from the general population in 15 countries.

Strikingly, it appears that there is a discrete group of people who suffer the most accidents: 1 in 29 people have a 50 per cent higher chance of having an accident than the rest of the population (Accident Analysis and Prevention, DOI: 10.1016/j.aap.2006.09.012).

Visser says the study doesn't reveal which people in particular are most at risk, but it does show that a band of hapless people exists. Previous research suggests that children and people who work on oil rigs or as combat pilots, for instance, tend to have more accidents. But Visser suspects that the hapless have certain personality traits that predispose them to accidents.

HairyHeretic

I would believe that. I'm convinced my wife could trip over her own shadow. The first time she came to visit me she sprained her ankle and spent the first day or two in bed with her foot up, unable to do anything.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Elvi

*raises eyebrow*
Her foot up what?

I have always found that there is a reason for a persons clumsiness.
The most clumsy people I have found, are left handers. Poor buggers live on the opposite side of the rest of the world, it's got to knock them off balance.

It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

HairyHeretic

Her foot propped up on cushions :p

And shes right handed.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

MagicalPen

The thing about Children and people who work on Oil Rigs...well, Children are curious. Of course they're going to have more accidents since they dont know any better and always get into trouble. And Oil Rigs are dangerous places to work! I think even the most accident-immune person would have an accident on an oil rig.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Elvi

Children are growing all the time.
They put on a growth spurt and then their body has to adapt to it as well as their minds.
How many children bang their heads on something that they could walk under last week, or get stuck somewhere that they fit through before.....
And of course you are right Silvestine, we learn by mistakes, after all, until you fall off that wall the first time, there are only silly adults to tell us we will get hurt.

sindyloo

Hmmm Sorry Elvi...But not all of us adults learn from our mistakes. we keep repeating them at times even when we know better.

Like how many of us have closed the car door on our legs? Or grabbed that hot pan out of the oven without a mit or hot pad? :o

Myself couple of weeks ago banged my head getting in car hurt like hell and as BF was trying to not laugh then......closed the door on my leg! :'( ;D
cant stand them green eggs or green hams or Silly Spam!!

Love everything but Scat,Golden Showers or Zoo stuff!  Whip me! Spank me! Tie me up!!

Elvi

Keep banging your head do you Sindy?
Well that accounts for a lot.....*grins*