News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Same-Sex Marriage allowed in California

Started by Elandra, May 15, 2008, 01:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elandra

About twenty minutes ago the California Supreme Court struck down the same-sex marriage ban, making California the second state in the United States, behind Massachusetts to all for same-sex marriage.....FINALLY.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/05/15/BAGAVNC5K.DTL

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/15/same.sex.marriage/index.html
~~~ ONs & OFFs ~~~ Requests ~~~

Cherri Tart

So, now the only question is, can i carry off white for a wedding dress, or should i go with hot pink instead? *giggles*
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Celestial Goblin

Celestial Goblin

How exactly will it affect conservatives? For them nothing changes.
Unless you equate conservatives with homophobes, which isn't so.

Celestial Goblin

Huh, so you are against gay marriage or not then?

Hades69

My two gay buddies get to be married now, hooray...but do I get to be the best man or maid of honor? ???
I stole your heart, love.

Sabby

Hmmm... now I just need to drug Tom and tie him to the back of bus headed for Californy.

Trieste

How's about we discuss the news portion over here (like how people think it'll affect California or whatever) and bring the general same-sex marriage debate over there to politics and religion? Thread is here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=15192.0

<3

MadPanda

Kudos to California for doing the right thing, if not the popular thing.

(I have a co-worker who has been with his partner for over eighteen years, through good times and bad.  I look forward to the day when my state will permit them to have their lifetime commitment honored in the same fashion as mine.  It'll probably be a long, long wait...)
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

National Acrobat

Quote from: elandra on May 15, 2008, 01:15:36 PM
About twenty minutes ago the California Supreme Court struck down the same-sex marriage ban, making California the second state in the United States, behind Massachusetts to all for same-sex marriage.....FINALLY.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/05/15/BAGAVNC5K.DTL

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/15/same.sex.marriage/index.html

Isn't there going to be a referendum though that will be binding, so this could be temporary, correct?

MadPanda

Unfortunately yes, mostly spearheaded by people who haven't read the decision and understood the point the majority was making.

The referendum may or may not pass, and the Governator is already on record as being non-supportive of same.

In Memory of Bishrook

National Acrobat

That's what I thought. Seems to be the easiest way in most states to get the ban back on is to hold a plebescite. Worked extremely well here in Virginia. It passed overwhelmingly, although we already had a law on the books banning it anyway, it was more to reinforce the point.

MadPanda

Ahh, yes, the tyranny of the majority...  ::)  The reason why we have judicial review in the first place!

In Memory of Bishrook

Hunter

And...this'll end up at the Supreme Court.

Bets on winner?  Will it be the uptight conversatives or the whiny liberals?

Place your bets now!   :P

Cherri Tart

Quote from: Hunter on May 16, 2008, 12:08:33 PM
And...this'll end up at the Supreme Court.

Bets on winner?  Will it be the uptight conversatives or the whiny liberals?

Place your bets now!   :P

it better me the married couples or i'm succeeding from the union and moving to Canada! :P

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Swedish Steel

Quote from: Joseph911 on May 16, 2008, 12:24:26 PM
My money's on the whiny liberals, seeing as California is chock full of them.

Oh, I see we are going to be the bestest of palls.
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

MadPanda

Actually, Hunter me ol' chum, conservatives doing a lot of whining these days...and most of the liberals I know are kind of uptight.

In any case, it isn't really a 'lib' versus 'con' argument except for those who use the word 'activist' to mean 'a judicial decision I don't like'.

And speaking of those who cry 'activist' when the law does not go their way...

Joe, go read the decision.  Three of the four justices in the majority were appointed by a Republican governor, and they wrote a fairly tight opinion.  But hey, why let inconvenient facts get in the way of your opinions?

In Memory of Bishrook

Cherri Tart

lol - i love you too, Joeseph - you DO know i get a vote in whether or not your approved, don't you? *grins*

love,
the whiney californian liberal :)

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Cherri Tart

*smiles* actually, i was sort of pleased about being whiney, rather then uptight, so i'm not really all THAT put out ;D  and thanks for reminding me of who started all that whiney talk *Tags Hunter's rock with love and peace slogans*

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Elandra

Quote from: Joseph911 on May 16, 2008, 12:24:26 PM
My money's on the whiny liberals, seeing as California is chock full of them.

In case you were unaware of it Joseph, it was the majority of Californians that enacted the law to begin with, it was amendment placed on the ballot and won with a majority, after four thousand couples were married at San Francisco City Hall step, several years ago. Generally California is a conservative state, with a heart of liberals centering around the SF bay area.
~~~ ONs & OFFs ~~~ Requests ~~~

Elvi

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080516/ten-uk-degeneres-marriage-baa80c0.html

Ellen DeGeneres to wed after gay marriage ruling

Reuters - Friday, May 16 06:24 pmLOS ANGELES (Reuters)

Comedian and talk show host Ellen DeGeneres plans to marry her long-time partner, actress Portia de Rossi, after a California court ruling allowing gay marriage.

"I am announcing I am getting married," DeGeneres, 50, told the audience during the taping of her "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" on Thursday. The show was due to be broadcast on Friday.

Well, lets hope she gets in quick then.....*smiles*

(And no Joseph, we the people, can object too....*rubs hands together and cackles*)
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

ShrowdedPoet

Congradulations to all and to all a good day, get married quick then watch Cally throw it away. . .
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

MadPanda

Go read the decision, Joe.  Not the media buzz--the actual decision.  It's online.  Grab a dictionary if you need one (most folks will).

READ it.  Carefully.  Pay attention to the logic followed by the court.  Try not to kneejerk--it'll be hard, but it's possible.

Then acquaint yourself with a few textbooks on civics.  Pay attention to concepts like judicial review and especially the notion of stare decisis.

After all that, consider what possible rights you think you have that you might be willing to surrender, without benefit of court oversight, should the majority decide that you belong to a group that doesn't deserve them.

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

My tenure doesn't enter into it.

If I'm a touch condescending, it's for the simple reason that you made a very bad impression a couple of nights ago.  A VERY bad impression. You may wish to avoid posting when you're sleep deprived.  :)  You do not come across as a reasonable and thoughtful person when you are sleep-deprived.

You're entitled to a different opinion.  Your right in this regard is well-established and thoroughly understood.  That's not why I'm growling at you.

That I suspect your opinion is based on a mere repetition of talking points from the media rather than a reading of the decision, now, that's another matter.

Is this distinction clear?

In Memory of Bishrook