Wiki Updates (Announcement)

Started by Vandren, March 17, 2009, 07:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Quote from: Derrian on August 02, 2009, 01:49:20 PM
I think I know exactly how, I've seen the mod that combines the two and I'm sure that if you change the users main login name on the forum it should carry onto the wiki, but best to clarify it with Vek

The wiki has no knowledge of your display name. Authentication is entirely based on username - if I change your username, you effectively become a new user as far as the wiki is concerned.

Caeli

Tutorials about how to categorize images have been created. :-) Please read and utilize if/when you upload images to the wiki in the future.

If you have questions, you're welcome to send me a PM.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Zinder

Hello all,

I would like to make one suggestion. I am planning to publish some more poems in my Wiki in future and I was wondering if you could add an extention for poems to ease the formatting. I am talking about this one:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Poem

Once installed it will add the possibility to use : <poem> tag which will help a lot I think. I am not sure if the Wiki is the right place for poems however. Should we publish such content there or should we request a blog for this ?

Caeli

If you wish to post your poetry in the forums, you can do so in the Storytelling Forum or in a blog. :-)

If you wish to do it in the wiki with the poetry extension, well, that's up to Veks. ^_^

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Zinder

Okay, should I request blog or should I just open a new thread there ?

Is https://elliquiy.com/forums/blogs.php and https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=412.0 the same somehow ?

Cecilia

The nature of the poetry makes a difference.   Blogs are visible to the public.  If your poems are of a sexual nature, you will want to post them within the adult content portion of the site or on your wiki.   AltErnately, you can make a thread here to share it.   Please feel free to pm Vekseid with your request,  he may or may not see your post here.

Zinder

Thank you, Cecilia. This is what I wanted to know.

Oreo

Quote from: Caeli on October 12, 2009, 06:33:23 PM
Tutorials about how to categorize images have been created. :-) Please read and utilize if/when you upload images to the wiki in the future.

If you have questions, you're welcome to send me a PM.

I'm not sure who was responsible for creating the 'How To' page, but it is wonderful. Many thanks for the pictures showing exactly what goes where. I was completely lost and had given up on trying to load a picture to Wiki. *kisses and hugs*

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Caeli

Quote from: Oreo on November 13, 2009, 06:05:01 AM
I'm not sure who was responsible for creating the 'How To' page, but it is wonderful. Many thanks for the pictures showing exactly what goes where. I was completely lost and had given up on trying to load a picture to Wiki. *kisses and hugs*

Thank you. :-) *hugs* I'm glad that it helped.
If you feel that any other tutorials (pictures included or not) are needed or would be helpful, please let me know!

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Snow Cherry

I couldn't find a more suitable place to ask this question so please forgive me if this is in the wrong thread and please direct me to the correct thread.

I have went over the MediaWiki Help Formatting page and I see no codes for font colors. Does such a thing exist for our Wiki pages? I am assuming no, because I do not see color on anyones pages.   :'(

Caeli

I believe you use the HTML <span> tag in order to do colors.

<span style="color:#000000">Text here</span>

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Snow Cherry

Wow Caeli, you're awesome. Thanks!

Vandren

Just for note, thanks to Sanai, we've discovered that the plus sign ( + ) doesn't work in file names on the wiki.  The symbol is ignored by the wiki, therefore it says the file doesn't exist.

So . . .

Do not use the ampersand ( & ) or plus sign ( + ) in uploaded file names on the wiki, please.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Saria

Hi there, I've been using my spare time on E to fix up some of the broken categories in files uploaded to Elluiki - I've done over 250 so far, all things like changing "[[Category:Avatar]]" to "[[Category:Avatars]]" or "[[Category:Signature Images]]" to "[[Category:SigImages]]"  - but I've noticed a couple of problems I'm not sure how to fix. Mostly the problems surround "[[Category:Delete]]".

Now, I know that you're supposed to put "[[Category:Delete]]" on anything you want deleted, but I've encountered several cases where it seems like people want something deleted, but have messed up the tag. I've seen everything from "[[Category:Detele]]" to "[[Catagory:Delete]]" to "[Category:Delete]" and so on. And then there are a bunch of pages that it seems like people want them deleted, but what they've done is just delete all content and leave them blank.

Thing is, I'm not sure if I should fix these tags, because that's more or less tantamount to deleting someone else's stuff. So what should I do? Go ahead and fix the tags? And tag the blank pages? Give someone in charge the list of problematic stuff? Or should I create a new category called something like "Things that need administrator attention", and put anything fishy in that category so the admins can figure it out at their leisure?

Also, who are the people in charge of the wiki who are still active? I see the list of wiki admins, but in some cases it looks like it hasn't been updated since 2009, and I don't want to spam messages to people who are long gone or on hiatus, etc.

Oh, and incidentally:

Quote from: Zinder on November 11, 2009, 06:50:02 AM
Hello all,

I would like to make one suggestion. I am planning to publish some more poems in my Wiki in future and I was wondering if you could add an extention for poems to ease the formatting. I am talking about this one:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Poem

Once installed it will add the possibility to use : <poem> tag which will help a lot I think. I am not sure if the Wiki is the right place for poems however. Should we publish such content there or should we request a blog for this ?
I don't know if there is still any more interest in this, but I created a {{poem}} template that more or less does the job without the need for an extension.

For example:

{{poem|
Had I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
}}

Or for multiple stanzas:

{{poem|
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
}}

They produce the expected results.

The template works via some CSS trickery, rather than {{#replace}}, to spare the server some work, but if there are problems, we can experiment with the {{#replace}} solution - just leave any comments on the template's talk page.
Saria is no longer on Elliquiy, and no longer available for games

Oniya

Proper procedure for editing the Elluiki is to first PM the person whose page you want to modify, to ensure that they are apprised of the changes.  Unlike other wikis, individuals are responsible for the construction of their personal pages.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vandren

Send problematic tag stuff or questionable things to Trieste.

As for the extension, that's an issue for Veks to decide on.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Saria

Quote from: Vandren on July 31, 2012, 01:21:53 PM
Send problematic tag stuff or questionable things to Trieste.
Cool, thank you!

Quote from: Oniya on July 31, 2012, 08:36:27 AM
Proper procedure for editing the Elluiki is to first PM the person whose page you want to modify, to ensure that they are apprised of the changes.  Unlike other wikis, individuals are responsible for the construction of their personal pages.
Oh dear, I've been fixing broken category tags for a couple weeks now. >,< I've changed over 200 already. I mean, I haven't been changing any of the content, or adding/removing anything, just changing obvious typos like "Category:Avatar" to "Category:Avatars", or things like "Category:Signature Images" (which is a category that has been deleted) to "Category:SigImages".

Was that wrong? Should I stop doing that?

Vandren

Quote from: Saria on July 31, 2012, 10:32:01 PMOh dear, I've been fixing broken category tags for a couple weeks now. >,< I've changed over 200 already. I mean, I haven't been changing any of the content, or adding/removing anything, just changing obvious typos like "Category:Avatar" to "Category:Avatars", or things like "Category:Signature Images" (which is a category that has been deleted) to "Category:SigImages".

Was that wrong? Should I stop doing that?

So long as no content is changed, that shouldn't be an issue.

Trieste

Quote from: Vandren on July 31, 2012, 10:58:27 PM
So long as no content is changed, that shouldn't be an issue.

Actually, it's sort of a personal space issue, which is why Oniya posted what she did.

Unless you're specifically tasked with taking care of a section (e.g. the various GMs around the board, the wikimins, the IRC ops), you really should speak to the person whose work you're altering before you alter it. Period.

Saria

Ah, okay. I'll stop making any more changes then.

Sorry if I've overstepped my bounds already, though. >,<

Trieste

The staff has been discussing how best to handle it since you brought it up, because categorizing stuff correctly helps keep the wiki from becoming a madhouse and it's not necessarily very feasible to PM every single wiki contributor.

The discussion is still ongoing, but since Vandren had posted an answer diametrically opposed to the answer Oniya posted, I wanted to make sure there wasn't confusion.

Please don't think we don't realize that you have been dedicating a lot of time and effort to helping keep the wiki an organized place, Saria. :)

Nadir

Maybe add a blanket permission to the upload section, along the lines of 'uploading to the wiki means you give permission for the image to be relocated to the correct category should it be mislabelled'?

Vandren

Quote from: Trieste on July 31, 2012, 11:02:39 PM
Actually, it's sort of a personal space issue,

Just, honestly, out of curiosity, how so?

We're talking about changing [Category:SigImages] to [[Category:SigImages]] or fixing other Category tag typos (ex. Catagory to Category), not changing the page's content (i.e. personally created info) or moving the file to a different Category.  It's basically copyediting.

Trieste

Quote from: Vandren on August 01, 2012, 06:17:09 AM
Just, honestly, out of curiosity, how so?

We're talking about changing [Category:SigImages] to [[Category:SigImages]] or fixing other Category tag typos (ex. Catagory to Category), not changing the page's content (i.e. personally created info) or moving the file to a different Category.  It's basically copyediting.

Which you may be fine with but others may not - thus the mention of asking people first.

Quote from: Dim Hon on August 01, 2012, 01:23:36 AM
Maybe add a blanket permission to the upload section, along the lines of 'uploading to the wiki means you give permission for the image to be relocated to the correct category should it be mislabelled'?

Possibly. It goes for pages and whatnot, too, though - it's pretty much an issue of scope.

Vandren

Quote from: Trieste on August 01, 2012, 12:48:49 PMWhich you may be fine with but others may not - thus the mention of asking people first.

Which doesn't answer my question, e.g. "How is this (fixing tag formatting or Category names--which are both standardized, public content--but not touching content--which is personal) a personal space issue?"