Wiki Updates (Announcement)

Started by Vandren, March 17, 2009, 07:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Only 'wiki administrators' - Gods, Goddesses and people with the specific assignment (currently only Vandren) can actually -delete- pages or files. You will need to ask one of us to do so.

I am also willing to give a couple more people wiki administration access if they want to help Vandren out for such things : )

Vandren

My apologies, I was unaware of that limitation.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Skye

-Sniffles- It doesn't look like that on my end I have
user page | discussion | edit | history | move | watch

wiki hates me. -snarls.-

edits: back read...that makes more sense.
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Caeli

Quote from: Reign on June 19, 2009, 04:06:29 PM
-Sniffles- It doesn't look like that on my end I have
user page | discussion | edit | history | move | watch

wiki hates me. -snarls.-

Only Wiki admins can delete images. :-)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Skye

Thank you Caeli-and Vandren! <3
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Haibane

Quote from: Vandren on May 19, 2009, 07:36:40 PM
Wiki Images Page

The page above has a number of categories (avatars, characters, renders, drawings, settings, memberpics, etc.), just use whatever you think is appropriate. 

The code's pretty simple, just [[Category:_____]] (fill in the blank).  The code can go anywhere on any page.

If you're not sure what the exact spelling or whatnot on a category is, just click on the category and it should show up on the top of the page, ex. underscores replacing spaces and whatnot.
Using very short words so a bear of very little brain can understand could you please tell me exactly how I categorize an image please? Both during the upload process (coz it ain't at all intuitive or obvious) and once an image is up but needs categorizing. Thanks.

In addition I have one game that is played in words and images, the images are manga/doujin panels. Those images are all up on the Wiki somewhere but I can't find which category they are in. I think we need a category for 'game images' something like that. If I can find the'd be happy to move them.

Vekseid

Just enter the text like a wiki link.

[[Category:Name]] puts the image in the Name category.

Haibane

I don't understand that instruction. Where do I write this? And what is a Wiki link? I've never edited or worked on a Wiki.

Yep, there's people out there totally clueless about Wikis.

EDIT: A thought struck me. Why do we need to add the images to the Wiki anyway? What value does that have? Its just an extra hoop to jump through for us people who know nothing about Wikis. I just want to upload an image, link to it in a game I'm playing and after that it's location and how it is referenced is not relevant at all. I'm sure most of my images are of no interest to anyone else.

So... why can't E just have a members file repository? I'm sure lots of members use it like that anyway.

Vandren

Quote from: Haibane on June 27, 2009, 02:17:42 PMI don't understand that instruction. Where do I write this? And what is a Wiki link? I've never edited or worked on a Wiki.

A wiki link is exactly what Veks typed below, double brackets around text.

QuoteEDIT: A thought struck me. Why do we need to add the images to the Wiki anyway? What value does that have? Its just an extra hoop to jump through for us people who know nothing about Wikis. I just want to upload an image, link to it in a game I'm playing and after that it's location and how it is referenced is not relevant at all.

I'll leave that one to Veks, since it deals with the behind the scenes coding.

QuoteI'm sure most of my images are of no interest to anyone else.

Speaking for myself, I've downloaded a couple of those and I'm sure other people have too.

QuoteIn addition I have one game that is played in words and images, the images are manga/doujin panels. Those images are all up on the Wiki somewhere but I can't find which category they are in. I think we need a category for 'game images' something like that. If I can find the'd be happy to move them.

Actually, we don't.  We've created categories for various things from renders to drawings, characters to settings.  Virtually any image fits into the categories already in place.  For those that don't, more can be made.  To discover what category an image is in is really quite simple . . . look at the bottom of the image's page, all categories the file is in are listed there.  Those in question have been categorized under "Hentai strip".

QuoteSo... why can't E just have a members file repository? I'm sure lots of members use it like that anyway.

Usage and "Linked to" stats show otherwise, actually.  But, I'll also leave that to Veks since it's behind the scenes coding stuff.

Categorizing While Uploading

Categorizing Post-Uploading

(Both images and numerous others are located in the Tutorial category under Images on the wiki.)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Vekseid

Quote from: Haibane on June 27, 2009, 02:17:42 PM
EDIT: A thought struck me. Why do we need to add the images to the Wiki anyway? What value does that have? Its just an extra hoop to jump through for us people who know nothing about Wikis. I just want to upload an image, link to it in a game I'm playing and after that it's location and how it is referenced is not relevant at all. I'm sure most of my images are of no interest to anyone else.

It functions as powerful file gallery software - you can add descriptions and thoroughly categorize your image. If you are having difficulty, just upload it and hit someone up in a chat to help you with that - it can easily be edited later.

The reason things should be uploaded to Elliquiy is it ensures that the shoutbox will load in threads, because javascript (which the sb depends on) gets called only after all images are loaded.

Caeli

Of course, nobody is forcing you to upload to the Wiki if you don't want to. As a note, though, a lot of free image hosts will not host images that contain nudity, and it is bad practice to hotlink images.

Uploading on the Wiki puts all of your images in one easy-to-find location (you can actually look through your contribution history to find images that you have uploaded in the past), and you can search for your images in the characters gallery or clothing gallery, depending on what it was categorized as. This is actually why we recommend that you name your images something relevant to the image itself, rather than leaving it a string of numbers. :P Makes it easier to find, later.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Haibane

Thanks for your help everyone, I should be able to find my way around now. 'Hentai strip' eh? LOL I guess those images can stay there, it doesn't much matter to me if they are under a category I would not have used, I just couldn't find them the other day so had to go back to the game thread and check the image properties to find it's path on the server ;)

Vandren

Quote from: Haibane on June 28, 2009, 04:30:46 AMI just couldn't find them the other day so had to go back to the game thread and check the image properties to find it's path on the server ;)

Category shouldn't matter in that regard, except that they should be easier to find after being categorized (in the case of those images, I decided on "Hentai strip" because I wasn't sure how they were being used; this, incidentally, is why I've asked people to put categories in files themselves, because often a category isn't immediately obvious).  The wiki categories don't change URLs or where they file exists electronically.  As far as which categories things are in, every file (and game page, etc.) can have multiple categories attached to it.

Lord of Shadows

Hmmm stupid question... well it has to be there somewhere. Since my public name is not the same as my user name how do I link these two names together into the same wiki page? As people has no way of knowing my user name.

Caeli

You can create a User:NewDisplayName page, and simply not update the one that links to your old username.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Vandren

Or you could make the two usernames the same, which would be easier on other users and the admins.   ;D

Haibane

I have this different usernames issue, but that was because within 24 hours or so of me registering here I decided NOT to use the original username because I've used it on other sites and wouldn't want people to track me down from there.

Thing is my wiki stuff always shows up with that original name. Is there any way to get that name changed to Haibane?

Dakota

yesh, the staff can do it if you ask them nicely

Vandren

Yep, I think that'd be Vekseid's realm, to change usernames on the wiki.  For older users, that's probably a relic from the old system that Lilac had set up.  I'm not sure how it happens with newer users, since I was under the impression that an Elliquiy account was necessary and they'd use the same info.  Apparently that is not in fact the case.

Dakota

Vandren as the wiki and the forum are hogtied together, surely changing the name from the users settings on the forum profiles, the ones that only staff can see, will effect the wiki as well

Caeli

Whether that's possible, doable, or whatnot, it's probably a question best posed privately of Veks.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Vandren

Quote from: Boian on August 02, 2009, 12:45:54 PMVandren as the wiki and the forum are hogtied together, surely changing the name from the users settings on the forum profiles, the ones that only staff can see, will effect the wiki as well

Possibly, but that's not in my realm of knowledge or balliwick, as it were.  That's behind the scenes programming that falls into Vekseid's realm.  I'm not sure how Elliquiy and the wiki are connected in terms of coding and such (they started out separate, until fairly recently).

Dakota

I think I know exactly how, I've seen the mod that combines the two and I'm sure that if you change the users main login name on the forum it should carry onto the wiki, but best to clarify it with Vek

Caeli

It's not really a question of whether it's doable (because I'm sure it is), Boian - but more like, if we change it for one person, how many other members are going to come clamoring to staff to change their usernames because they didn't think about how that name would reflect them in a writing community, and they simply must change it for them, because didn't we change it for Member2054?

Thus, the question is best posed to Veks (who is the only person who has permissions to change that sort of information). Privately. :P

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Caeli

If you would like to delete a file that you've previously uploaded onto the Elluiki, you have two options:

1. PM any staff member. Please include the link to the file in the PM.
2. Edit the file's description to add it to the Delete category. I prune the category regularly. :-) This is the wikicode that you should copy/paste into the description box:

[[Category:Delete]]

That's all. :-)

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ