Wiki Updates (Announcement)

Started by Vandren, March 17, 2009, 07:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

This probably belongs in "Rules and Announcements", but I can't start threads there, so . . .

Howdy all,

As of last night, a wiki navigation system was set up.  This is something we've been planning since September, but were only recently able to implement.  The idea is to make the wiki easier to browse, navigate (duh), and otherwise easier to use so that, hopefully, it will get more use.

For those who already have pages on the wiki, please check the category listing to be sure that all appropriate categories are attached to your page.

This has included adding the [[Category:Members]] tag to User pages, as well as [[Category:Goddesses]] (and Sirens, IRC Ops, Wikimins, and Mentors), in order to make those pages easier for the average user to find.

Any questions, comments, suggestions, or complaints can be directed to myself.  (Or Moondazed, although I'd rather not volunteer her for that. ;) ).

-Van
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Bliss

What's the proper syntax for IRC Ops - does it include a space?

[[Category:IRC Ops]] or [[Category:IRCOps]]?
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Vandren

"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Duchess

This has included adding the [[Category:Members]] tag to User pages, as well as [[Category:Goddesses]] (and Sirens, IRC Ops, Wikimins, and Mentors), in order to make those pages easier for the average user to find.

???

Vandren

Is this a question?  An annoyance?  What?  I can "read" emoticons to some extent, but the telepathy's on the fritz.   :-)

Duchess

*giggles*    ::)

lol..ok that was a question but i figur it out already.... ;)

Xillen

Quote from: Bliss on March 17, 2009, 01:03:44 PM
What's the proper syntax for IRC Ops - does it include a space?

[[Category:IRC Ops]] or [[Category:IRCOps]]?

We have our own category? :o

Bliss

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Vandren

Yep.  It was decided (I can't recall by whom, since the discussion took place back in September) that we'd set up categories for all levels of Elliquiy administration in order to make people easier to find on the wiki.

Vandren

Just a few things to update:

1) When you create a User page, please remember to insert the [[Category:Members]] tag at the bottom.

2) The same goes for game pages (with appropriate [[Category:Games]] and descriptor categories).

3) A big thanks to Bliss for taking it upon herself to categorize the images on the wiki.  To make that easier (and I know I've been part of the problem too, working on that), please categorize any images uploaded to the wiki, using the system she's devised.  If you can't find an appropriate category, feel free to PM me to suggest one.

Thanks all, for using the wiki.  We've more or less doubled the number of User pages, at least, in the last three months.   ;D

Bliss

Glad to help!

Please note, anybody interested in creating a wiki User page, there is a template you can work from, which is linked on the front page of the wiki - and I'm always glad to help people work through the code (wiki has its own code, different from both HTML and BBcode) to make things work the way you want. In the event that neither I nor Vandren are available for assistance, there's really useful pages with editing and formatting code to be found at:

1. Mediawiki
2. Wikipedia
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Vandren

Hi all,

Another update . . . actually a call for assistance.

I'm trying to assist with the image categorization on the wiki.  Unfortunately, there are roughly 1400 uncategorized images on the site.  So . . .

Please check any image you've uploaded to the wiki and be sure it is placed in an appropriate category.  Second, if the image is not really necessary (say it's a copy, an early unused version, or part of the two complete hentai series uploaded), please remove it using the delete tab at the top of the image's page.

Thanks,
-Van

Trieste

How can we check and make sure it's categorized correctly?

I'm trying to cooperate with the wiki but 1) I dislike wikis. I just do. And 2) I'm completely unfamiliar with the code. :)

Vandren

Wiki Images Page

The page above has a number of categories (avatars, characters, renders, drawings, settings, memberpics, etc.), just use whatever you think is appropriate. 

The code's pretty simple, just [[Category:_____]] (fill in the blank).  The code can go anywhere on any page.

If you're not sure what the exact spelling or whatnot on a category is, just click on the category and it should show up on the top of the page, ex. underscores replacing spaces and whatnot.

Trieste

Okay, so if I have an image I uploaded for the photo album, I feel it belongs under the memberpics category. Its link only has Image:Filename on it ... should the link be https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Memberpics:Filename instead?

And is the memberpics section private, or is it publicly accessible unless there is Private: in front of the section name?

And should I split this series of questions off into its own thread? :)

Vandren

Quote from: Trieste on May 19, 2009, 08:03:38 PMOkay, so if I have an image I uploaded for the photo album, I feel it belongs under the memberpics category. Its link only has Image:Filename on it ... should the link be https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Memberpics:Filename instead?

Nope.  The category won't change the URL of the file.  The category just creates a table of contents, of sorts.

QuoteAnd is the memberpics section private, or is it publicly accessible unless there is Private: in front of the section name?

I think all the Categories are automatically set to private.  I seem to have misplaced the PM from Veks regarding that.  Either way, there are no "Private" tags in Categories.  To the best of my knowledge (admittedly somewhat limited) the code [[Category:Private:____]] would be meaningless.

QuoteAnd should I split this series of questions off into its own thread? :)

I'm fine with questions here.  :)  For the time being at least.

Trieste

Woo! Okay, I got it. I didn't realize you had to edit the page on the image to add the [[Category]] code. I thought it had to be placed in the URL somehow. >.>

Thank you, Vandren.

Vandren

No problem.

Side note, we're down to 816 uncategorized files.

If new categories are needed, please run them by myself or Bliss first, to be sure a new one is actually necessary.

Vekseid

Image: and Category: will both be private.

Make a sig image category? >_>

Caeli

I thought there was already a sig image category?
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Vandren

There's a separate page for sig images, but it's not a category.  I'll have to check with Bliss to see why that's the case.

Bliss

No reason; I just haven't made one yet.

I'll go through the Sig Images gallery today and assign them all to [[Category:SigImages]]
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Vandren

Ok, I won't send a PM then, even if it was just about ready to send . . .  ;)

Vandren

A Warning of Sorts

In the process of categorizing files, I've discovered that the wiki really hates the ampersand - & - in page and file titles.  The system refuses to acknowledge anything once an ampersand comes into the title.  Thus "Lost & Found" becomes simply "Lost ".

So, please just spell out "and" in file/page titles (or skip it entirely).  If you can access an ampersand page, please move it to a non-ampersand title.

I can assist with the latter, if necessary.

Thanks,
-Van

(Only 514 uncategorized files now)

Vandren

There have been some questions regarding deleting files on the wiki (specifically finding the delete tab), so, here's a screen shot:

Vekseid

Only 'wiki administrators' - Gods, Goddesses and people with the specific assignment (currently only Vandren) can actually -delete- pages or files. You will need to ask one of us to do so.

I am also willing to give a couple more people wiki administration access if they want to help Vandren out for such things : )

Vandren

My apologies, I was unaware of that limitation.

Skye

-Sniffles- It doesn't look like that on my end I have
user page | discussion | edit | history | move | watch

wiki hates me. -snarls.-

edits: back read...that makes more sense.
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Caeli

Quote from: Reign on June 19, 2009, 04:06:29 PM
-Sniffles- It doesn't look like that on my end I have
user page | discussion | edit | history | move | watch

wiki hates me. -snarls.-

Only Wiki admins can delete images. :-)

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Skye

Thank you Caeli-and Vandren! <3
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Haibane

Quote from: Vandren on May 19, 2009, 07:36:40 PM
Wiki Images Page

The page above has a number of categories (avatars, characters, renders, drawings, settings, memberpics, etc.), just use whatever you think is appropriate. 

The code's pretty simple, just [[Category:_____]] (fill in the blank).  The code can go anywhere on any page.

If you're not sure what the exact spelling or whatnot on a category is, just click on the category and it should show up on the top of the page, ex. underscores replacing spaces and whatnot.
Using very short words so a bear of very little brain can understand could you please tell me exactly how I categorize an image please? Both during the upload process (coz it ain't at all intuitive or obvious) and once an image is up but needs categorizing. Thanks.

In addition I have one game that is played in words and images, the images are manga/doujin panels. Those images are all up on the Wiki somewhere but I can't find which category they are in. I think we need a category for 'game images' something like that. If I can find the'd be happy to move them.

Vekseid

Just enter the text like a wiki link.

[[Category:Name]] puts the image in the Name category.

Haibane

I don't understand that instruction. Where do I write this? And what is a Wiki link? I've never edited or worked on a Wiki.

Yep, there's people out there totally clueless about Wikis.

EDIT: A thought struck me. Why do we need to add the images to the Wiki anyway? What value does that have? Its just an extra hoop to jump through for us people who know nothing about Wikis. I just want to upload an image, link to it in a game I'm playing and after that it's location and how it is referenced is not relevant at all. I'm sure most of my images are of no interest to anyone else.

So... why can't E just have a members file repository? I'm sure lots of members use it like that anyway.

Vandren

Quote from: Haibane on June 27, 2009, 02:17:42 PMI don't understand that instruction. Where do I write this? And what is a Wiki link? I've never edited or worked on a Wiki.

A wiki link is exactly what Veks typed below, double brackets around text.

QuoteEDIT: A thought struck me. Why do we need to add the images to the Wiki anyway? What value does that have? Its just an extra hoop to jump through for us people who know nothing about Wikis. I just want to upload an image, link to it in a game I'm playing and after that it's location and how it is referenced is not relevant at all.

I'll leave that one to Veks, since it deals with the behind the scenes coding.

QuoteI'm sure most of my images are of no interest to anyone else.

Speaking for myself, I've downloaded a couple of those and I'm sure other people have too.

QuoteIn addition I have one game that is played in words and images, the images are manga/doujin panels. Those images are all up on the Wiki somewhere but I can't find which category they are in. I think we need a category for 'game images' something like that. If I can find the'd be happy to move them.

Actually, we don't.  We've created categories for various things from renders to drawings, characters to settings.  Virtually any image fits into the categories already in place.  For those that don't, more can be made.  To discover what category an image is in is really quite simple . . . look at the bottom of the image's page, all categories the file is in are listed there.  Those in question have been categorized under "Hentai strip".

QuoteSo... why can't E just have a members file repository? I'm sure lots of members use it like that anyway.

Usage and "Linked to" stats show otherwise, actually.  But, I'll also leave that to Veks since it's behind the scenes coding stuff.

Categorizing While Uploading

Categorizing Post-Uploading

(Both images and numerous others are located in the Tutorial category under Images on the wiki.)

Vekseid

Quote from: Haibane on June 27, 2009, 02:17:42 PM
EDIT: A thought struck me. Why do we need to add the images to the Wiki anyway? What value does that have? Its just an extra hoop to jump through for us people who know nothing about Wikis. I just want to upload an image, link to it in a game I'm playing and after that it's location and how it is referenced is not relevant at all. I'm sure most of my images are of no interest to anyone else.

It functions as powerful file gallery software - you can add descriptions and thoroughly categorize your image. If you are having difficulty, just upload it and hit someone up in a chat to help you with that - it can easily be edited later.

The reason things should be uploaded to Elliquiy is it ensures that the shoutbox will load in threads, because javascript (which the sb depends on) gets called only after all images are loaded.

Caeli

Of course, nobody is forcing you to upload to the Wiki if you don't want to. As a note, though, a lot of free image hosts will not host images that contain nudity, and it is bad practice to hotlink images.

Uploading on the Wiki puts all of your images in one easy-to-find location (you can actually look through your contribution history to find images that you have uploaded in the past), and you can search for your images in the characters gallery or clothing gallery, depending on what it was categorized as. This is actually why we recommend that you name your images something relevant to the image itself, rather than leaving it a string of numbers. :P Makes it easier to find, later.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Haibane

Thanks for your help everyone, I should be able to find my way around now. 'Hentai strip' eh? LOL I guess those images can stay there, it doesn't much matter to me if they are under a category I would not have used, I just couldn't find them the other day so had to go back to the game thread and check the image properties to find it's path on the server ;)

Vandren

Quote from: Haibane on June 28, 2009, 04:30:46 AMI just couldn't find them the other day so had to go back to the game thread and check the image properties to find it's path on the server ;)

Category shouldn't matter in that regard, except that they should be easier to find after being categorized (in the case of those images, I decided on "Hentai strip" because I wasn't sure how they were being used; this, incidentally, is why I've asked people to put categories in files themselves, because often a category isn't immediately obvious).  The wiki categories don't change URLs or where they file exists electronically.  As far as which categories things are in, every file (and game page, etc.) can have multiple categories attached to it.

Lord of Shadows

Hmmm stupid question... well it has to be there somewhere. Since my public name is not the same as my user name how do I link these two names together into the same wiki page? As people has no way of knowing my user name.

Caeli

You can create a User:NewDisplayName page, and simply not update the one that links to your old username.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Vandren

Or you could make the two usernames the same, which would be easier on other users and the admins.   ;D

Haibane

I have this different usernames issue, but that was because within 24 hours or so of me registering here I decided NOT to use the original username because I've used it on other sites and wouldn't want people to track me down from there.

Thing is my wiki stuff always shows up with that original name. Is there any way to get that name changed to Haibane?

Dakota

yesh, the staff can do it if you ask them nicely

Vandren

Yep, I think that'd be Vekseid's realm, to change usernames on the wiki.  For older users, that's probably a relic from the old system that Lilac had set up.  I'm not sure how it happens with newer users, since I was under the impression that an Elliquiy account was necessary and they'd use the same info.  Apparently that is not in fact the case.

Dakota

Vandren as the wiki and the forum are hogtied together, surely changing the name from the users settings on the forum profiles, the ones that only staff can see, will effect the wiki as well

Caeli

Whether that's possible, doable, or whatnot, it's probably a question best posed privately of Veks.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Vandren

Quote from: Boian on August 02, 2009, 12:45:54 PMVandren as the wiki and the forum are hogtied together, surely changing the name from the users settings on the forum profiles, the ones that only staff can see, will effect the wiki as well

Possibly, but that's not in my realm of knowledge or balliwick, as it were.  That's behind the scenes programming that falls into Vekseid's realm.  I'm not sure how Elliquiy and the wiki are connected in terms of coding and such (they started out separate, until fairly recently).

Dakota

I think I know exactly how, I've seen the mod that combines the two and I'm sure that if you change the users main login name on the forum it should carry onto the wiki, but best to clarify it with Vek

Caeli

It's not really a question of whether it's doable (because I'm sure it is), Boian - but more like, if we change it for one person, how many other members are going to come clamoring to staff to change their usernames because they didn't think about how that name would reflect them in a writing community, and they simply must change it for them, because didn't we change it for Member2054?

Thus, the question is best posed to Veks (who is the only person who has permissions to change that sort of information). Privately. :P

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Caeli

If you would like to delete a file that you've previously uploaded onto the Elluiki, you have two options:

1. PM any staff member. Please include the link to the file in the PM.
2. Edit the file's description to add it to the Delete category. I prune the category regularly. :-) This is the wikicode that you should copy/paste into the description box:

[[Category:Delete]]

That's all. :-)

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Vekseid

Quote from: Derrian on August 02, 2009, 01:49:20 PM
I think I know exactly how, I've seen the mod that combines the two and I'm sure that if you change the users main login name on the forum it should carry onto the wiki, but best to clarify it with Vek

The wiki has no knowledge of your display name. Authentication is entirely based on username - if I change your username, you effectively become a new user as far as the wiki is concerned.

Caeli

Tutorials about how to categorize images have been created. :-) Please read and utilize if/when you upload images to the wiki in the future.

If you have questions, you're welcome to send me a PM.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Zinder

Hello all,

I would like to make one suggestion. I am planning to publish some more poems in my Wiki in future and I was wondering if you could add an extention for poems to ease the formatting. I am talking about this one:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Poem

Once installed it will add the possibility to use : <poem> tag which will help a lot I think. I am not sure if the Wiki is the right place for poems however. Should we publish such content there or should we request a blog for this ?

Caeli

If you wish to post your poetry in the forums, you can do so in the Storytelling Forum or in a blog. :-)

If you wish to do it in the wiki with the poetry extension, well, that's up to Veks. ^_^

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Zinder

Okay, should I request blog or should I just open a new thread there ?

Is https://elliquiy.com/forums/blogs.php and https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=412.0 the same somehow ?

Cecilia

The nature of the poetry makes a difference.   Blogs are visible to the public.  If your poems are of a sexual nature, you will want to post them within the adult content portion of the site or on your wiki.   AltErnately, you can make a thread here to share it.   Please feel free to pm Vekseid with your request,  he may or may not see your post here.

Zinder

Thank you, Cecilia. This is what I wanted to know.

Oreo

Quote from: Caeli on October 12, 2009, 06:33:23 PM
Tutorials about how to categorize images have been created. :-) Please read and utilize if/when you upload images to the wiki in the future.

If you have questions, you're welcome to send me a PM.

I'm not sure who was responsible for creating the 'How To' page, but it is wonderful. Many thanks for the pictures showing exactly what goes where. I was completely lost and had given up on trying to load a picture to Wiki. *kisses and hugs*

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Caeli

Quote from: Oreo on November 13, 2009, 06:05:01 AM
I'm not sure who was responsible for creating the 'How To' page, but it is wonderful. Many thanks for the pictures showing exactly what goes where. I was completely lost and had given up on trying to load a picture to Wiki. *kisses and hugs*

Thank you. :-) *hugs* I'm glad that it helped.
If you feel that any other tutorials (pictures included or not) are needed or would be helpful, please let me know!

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Snow Cherry

I couldn't find a more suitable place to ask this question so please forgive me if this is in the wrong thread and please direct me to the correct thread.

I have went over the MediaWiki Help Formatting page and I see no codes for font colors. Does such a thing exist for our Wiki pages? I am assuming no, because I do not see color on anyones pages.   :'(

Caeli

I believe you use the HTML <span> tag in order to do colors.

<span style="color:#000000">Text here</span>

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Snow Cherry

Wow Caeli, you're awesome. Thanks!

Vandren

Just for note, thanks to Sanai, we've discovered that the plus sign ( + ) doesn't work in file names on the wiki.  The symbol is ignored by the wiki, therefore it says the file doesn't exist.

So . . .

Do not use the ampersand ( & ) or plus sign ( + ) in uploaded file names on the wiki, please.

Saria

Hi there, I've been using my spare time on E to fix up some of the broken categories in files uploaded to Elluiki - I've done over 250 so far, all things like changing "[[Category:Avatar]]" to "[[Category:Avatars]]" or "[[Category:Signature Images]]" to "[[Category:SigImages]]"  - but I've noticed a couple of problems I'm not sure how to fix. Mostly the problems surround "[[Category:Delete]]".

Now, I know that you're supposed to put "[[Category:Delete]]" on anything you want deleted, but I've encountered several cases where it seems like people want something deleted, but have messed up the tag. I've seen everything from "[[Category:Detele]]" to "[[Catagory:Delete]]" to "[Category:Delete]" and so on. And then there are a bunch of pages that it seems like people want them deleted, but what they've done is just delete all content and leave them blank.

Thing is, I'm not sure if I should fix these tags, because that's more or less tantamount to deleting someone else's stuff. So what should I do? Go ahead and fix the tags? And tag the blank pages? Give someone in charge the list of problematic stuff? Or should I create a new category called something like "Things that need administrator attention", and put anything fishy in that category so the admins can figure it out at their leisure?

Also, who are the people in charge of the wiki who are still active? I see the list of wiki admins, but in some cases it looks like it hasn't been updated since 2009, and I don't want to spam messages to people who are long gone or on hiatus, etc.

Oh, and incidentally:

Quote from: Zinder on November 11, 2009, 06:50:02 AM
Hello all,

I would like to make one suggestion. I am planning to publish some more poems in my Wiki in future and I was wondering if you could add an extention for poems to ease the formatting. I am talking about this one:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Poem

Once installed it will add the possibility to use : <poem> tag which will help a lot I think. I am not sure if the Wiki is the right place for poems however. Should we publish such content there or should we request a blog for this ?
I don't know if there is still any more interest in this, but I created a {{poem}} template that more or less does the job without the need for an extension.

For example:

{{poem|
Had I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
}}

Or for multiple stanzas:

{{poem|
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
}}

They produce the expected results.

The template works via some CSS trickery, rather than {{#replace}}, to spare the server some work, but if there are problems, we can experiment with the {{#replace}} solution - just leave any comments on the template's talk page.
Saria is no longer on Elliquiy, and no longer available for games

Oniya

Proper procedure for editing the Elluiki is to first PM the person whose page you want to modify, to ensure that they are apprised of the changes.  Unlike other wikis, individuals are responsible for the construction of their personal pages.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vandren

Send problematic tag stuff or questionable things to Trieste.

As for the extension, that's an issue for Veks to decide on.

Saria

Quote from: Vandren on July 31, 2012, 01:21:53 PM
Send problematic tag stuff or questionable things to Trieste.
Cool, thank you!

Quote from: Oniya on July 31, 2012, 08:36:27 AM
Proper procedure for editing the Elluiki is to first PM the person whose page you want to modify, to ensure that they are apprised of the changes.  Unlike other wikis, individuals are responsible for the construction of their personal pages.
Oh dear, I've been fixing broken category tags for a couple weeks now. >,< I've changed over 200 already. I mean, I haven't been changing any of the content, or adding/removing anything, just changing obvious typos like "Category:Avatar" to "Category:Avatars", or things like "Category:Signature Images" (which is a category that has been deleted) to "Category:SigImages".

Was that wrong? Should I stop doing that?

Vandren

Quote from: Saria on July 31, 2012, 10:32:01 PMOh dear, I've been fixing broken category tags for a couple weeks now. >,< I've changed over 200 already. I mean, I haven't been changing any of the content, or adding/removing anything, just changing obvious typos like "Category:Avatar" to "Category:Avatars", or things like "Category:Signature Images" (which is a category that has been deleted) to "Category:SigImages".

Was that wrong? Should I stop doing that?

So long as no content is changed, that shouldn't be an issue.

Trieste

Quote from: Vandren on July 31, 2012, 10:58:27 PM
So long as no content is changed, that shouldn't be an issue.

Actually, it's sort of a personal space issue, which is why Oniya posted what she did.

Unless you're specifically tasked with taking care of a section (e.g. the various GMs around the board, the wikimins, the IRC ops), you really should speak to the person whose work you're altering before you alter it. Period.

Saria

Ah, okay. I'll stop making any more changes then.

Sorry if I've overstepped my bounds already, though. >,<

Trieste

The staff has been discussing how best to handle it since you brought it up, because categorizing stuff correctly helps keep the wiki from becoming a madhouse and it's not necessarily very feasible to PM every single wiki contributor.

The discussion is still ongoing, but since Vandren had posted an answer diametrically opposed to the answer Oniya posted, I wanted to make sure there wasn't confusion.

Please don't think we don't realize that you have been dedicating a lot of time and effort to helping keep the wiki an organized place, Saria. :)

Nadir

Maybe add a blanket permission to the upload section, along the lines of 'uploading to the wiki means you give permission for the image to be relocated to the correct category should it be mislabelled'?

Vandren

Quote from: Trieste on July 31, 2012, 11:02:39 PM
Actually, it's sort of a personal space issue,

Just, honestly, out of curiosity, how so?

We're talking about changing [Category:SigImages] to [[Category:SigImages]] or fixing other Category tag typos (ex. Catagory to Category), not changing the page's content (i.e. personally created info) or moving the file to a different Category.  It's basically copyediting.

Trieste

Quote from: Vandren on August 01, 2012, 06:17:09 AM
Just, honestly, out of curiosity, how so?

We're talking about changing [Category:SigImages] to [[Category:SigImages]] or fixing other Category tag typos (ex. Catagory to Category), not changing the page's content (i.e. personally created info) or moving the file to a different Category.  It's basically copyediting.

Which you may be fine with but others may not - thus the mention of asking people first.

Quote from: Dim Hon on August 01, 2012, 01:23:36 AM
Maybe add a blanket permission to the upload section, along the lines of 'uploading to the wiki means you give permission for the image to be relocated to the correct category should it be mislabelled'?

Possibly. It goes for pages and whatnot, too, though - it's pretty much an issue of scope.

Vandren

Quote from: Trieste on August 01, 2012, 12:48:49 PMWhich you may be fine with but others may not - thus the mention of asking people first.

Which doesn't answer my question, e.g. "How is this (fixing tag formatting or Category names--which are both standardized, public content--but not touching content--which is personal) a personal space issue?"

Kye

Quote from: Vandren on August 01, 2012, 02:15:01 PM
Which doesn't answer my question, e.g. "How is this (fixing tag formatting or Category names--which are both standardized, public content--but not touching content--which is personal) a personal space issue?"

Since it obviously wouldn't be an issue for you it's not exactly easy to explain.  If someone edited a post of mine because of a spelling error I wouldn't appreciate it. Tell me it's there and I'll edit it myself.  I would think it's the same kind of thing with the wiki. Boundaries are different for everyone.

Vandren

Quote from: Kyrsa on August 01, 2012, 02:18:03 PM
Since it obviously wouldn't be an issue for you it's not exactly easy to explain.  If someone edited a post of mine because of a spelling error I wouldn't appreciate it. Tell me it's there and I'll edit it myself.  I would think it's the same kind of thing with the wiki. Boundaries are different for everyone.

But, it's not a spelling error as such.  It's a system formatting error (e.g. public content). 

We're not talking about going in and changing personal info like: "he writes non-fiction on the prfessinal level with some dabbling in fiction." to "he writes non-fiction on the professional level with some dabbling in fiction."  (Personal content, which I would have issues with someone changing)

We're talking fixing a minor system, "code", error like [[Category:Member Pics] to [[Category:MemberPics]].  (Public system content, which is not personal in any way, shape, or form; e.g. basic system maintenance to keep things functioning properly)

Just for note, I'm not trying to be argumentative or asinine, I'm trying to understand.

Trieste

Because, in my experience, it's not seen as "just a systematic alteration", it's seen as "altering my page that I spent hours formatting". In this case, that feeling is compounded by the sense of 'just another user' coming along and doing it instead of an official wikimin.

It may not always make sense to everyone, but it takes all kinds to form a community, and all that.

Valerian

Also, on a purely practical level, informing people of such formatting errors -- politely, of course -- rather than just going in and fixing them yourself might be a more efficient way of handling them in the long run.  If one particular person is making lots of the same type of formatting mistakes, for instance, you're better off making sure that person knows how to do things correctly in the future.  If the mistakes are simple typos, then a gentle word might help them remember to type a little more slowly in future when working on code-related things, where typing isn't so intuitive.  Otherwise you could find yourself spending hours correcting the same sorts of mistakes over and over, made by the same people.  Better to share the knowledge, etc.  :)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Wistful Dream

A question. I have been making more pages linked to story pages as purely supplement material. I was wondering where it would make sense to tag a supplement category, Elliquiy category or genre or something else.. neither quiet seems to fit but I can't tag some of my pages really as anything other then 'supplementary material' or something similar.

Pages contain things like character quick lists, setting info, etc.

Michael Corvus

How often are images marked to be deleted purged from the wiki?
My O/O's | My A/A's | My Characters
The Oath of The Drake
*Currently Only Seeking Group Games*

Oreo

They aren't, unless they violate E rules for images, or exceed 3 personal pictures of yourself.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Neroon

Images that are in category: delete are purged roughly every two weeks depending on wikimin availability.  Indeed, category: delete has just been purged today.

Other images are only deleted if they break the rules Oreo described.  Occasionally, they may be moved from one category to another, if they have been miscategorized, the most common reason for which being mistyping.

Hope that's clearer.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

Sasha

I got lost ..... imagine that . Smiles ..

So do we have to move an existing wiki catagory ? Or are all current ones linked to E transferred over ? Please explain if I need to do something . Well ...Secretwritter needs to do something for me . Lets be real ...I only know enough to update a character sheet .

Too bad you can't tag people in the forum .

Sasha

DonnaSalmer

I can't find the link to click for my Wiki with the new look? It used to be in the upper right corner?

Revelation

Quote from: DonnaSalmer on October 27, 2023, 11:03:41 AMI can't find the link to click for my Wiki with the new look? It used to be in the upper right corner?
https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Welcome_to_Elluiki

Does that link work for you?

DonnaSalmer

Yes it does thank you. Is there a toggle or button somewhere on the home page to get to it?