Is Discord screen reader accessible yet?

Started by Blinkin, July 04, 2018, 08:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

I can't seem to find anything more recent than the middle of last year, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if Discord has finally broken down and fixed the window desktop issue with screen readers, or is it still unaccessible. I get a lot of request from potential partners to discuss story concepts on discord and few of them understand why I don't have discord; that when I last checked, it had no screen reader support. This really bothers me as I seem to lose more potentials over this, but what can I do? If the issue has been resolved, I would love to know about it.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Nymphadora

Sadly and ridiculously, I can't find anything that indicates Discord has done more towards making this a thing. I use Better Discord that has a lot of plugins and such but even they don't seem to have anything. I am just finding more requests for them to try a plugin of a screen reader.

No real timeline from Discord that I can find either. Maybe someone else with better Google-Fu will be able to see more details.
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Blinkin

Sadly, my own google-fu is still in the gold belt area. If I look hard enough, I can usually stumble across what I need in a couple of hours, but... Just call me Grasshoppa

But if you tell me to take a pebble from your hand, lol

Anyway, thanks for trying and I guess that I'll stay with Skype for now, which isn't all that friendly toward screen readers either... which is why I rarely use it either.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Mirrah

I'm not sure about Discord being screen reader accessible, but the closest thing I can think of to that at the moment, is the "/tts" or "text-to-speech" command that can be activated. It will read what you've posted to everyone in the channel or chat room (if they have it activated). I'm not certain if the default setting has it turned on, but it is in the User Settings, under Text & Images, and is the option all the way at the bottom.

Also, if you turn on Text-To-Speech Notifications for all channels, if someone sends a message (that is text), the voice will also read everything they post to you and/or that channel you're in (this is under Notifications).

The only problem is that I think it may be a one time reading of the text that has been inputted, and am not certain if there's a way to get it to replay it.
"Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be." - Margulis
Status: Closed. Semi Hiatus. | Have you taken care of yourself today?