If I anted to write a blog . . .

Started by Missy, June 26, 2018, 02:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missy

I'm looking for a place to put a website.

I'm considering Squarespace, and I heard of wordpress or blogspot or other thigns, but I was wondering if anyone had any specific experience and could give me their thoughts.

Thanks!

Lilias

I've been on Wordpress for 10 years and not moving unless I'm forced out. Even their free platform is extremely customisable, their media storage allowance is generous, and generally it can meet any casual blogger's needs. (A cheap upgrade offers an even bigger toolbox to play with.) Avoid Blogger; it keeps getting clunkier with every Google update.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

AmberStarfire

I'd definitely recommend Wordpress too. There are the sites they host or you can host it yourself (one's .com, and one is .org, and I can never remember which is which). I used to have a site hosted by them and when I moved to self-hosting, I exported it from there and imported it with my hosting company, and it worked surprisingly well. They have lots of things like free themes, plugins, widgets etc. It gives you the basics but also the ability to expand on your site with relative ease without needing to code or buy things (unless you want to). I have a number of Wordpress sites now, and it's what I'd use.

Missy

Quote from: AmberStarfire on June 26, 2018, 03:50:07 PM
I'd definitely recommend Wordpress too. There are the sites they host or you can host it yourself (one's .com, and one is .org, and I can never remember which is which). I used to have a site hosted by them and when I moved to self-hosting, I exported it from there and imported it with my hosting company, and it worked surprisingly well. They have lots of things like free themes, plugins, widgets etc. It gives you the basics but also the ability to expand on your site with relative ease without needing to code or buy things (unless you want to). I have a number of Wordpress sites now, and it's what I'd use.

I think it's the .org that's good from what I read, .com is crummey from what I've read.