What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

I honestly don't mind if the quality is consistent. A long and quality campaign is always preferable, but I really don't mind if it's short.

Oniya

Quote from: msa24680 on November 12, 2010, 07:38:09 AM
Hmm... I enjoyed MW2's campaign... and the multi-player.  I tend to play more single-player games, but have definitely put my share of hours online with COD games and Halo.  HOWEVER, if you noticed that I posted YESTERDAY that I had just started playing The Force Unleashed 2... yeah, well... I finished it last night.  Granted, I've been off work on vacation, so I've played more, but still...  NO game should be able to be finished in 5 hours.  The ONLY silver lining in this is that I rented it and didn't buy it.

(Isn't going to say how fast she replayed FF1 just the other weekend)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

msa24680

Ooh.. .a Final Fantasy girl...  i'm in love already!

Wolfy

:D Just finished Portal for the second time...This time, I did it Legitimately with no cheats. :P

Brandon

Actually as I mentioned when the game came out, the story of MW2 was crap as well. It relied on making the Russians in No Russian look like fools both during the airport massacre and after reviewing the evidence afterwards. Then there was the fact that the Russians seemed to easily invade without the US having any chance to stop them, Im sorry but that just wouldnt happen. They would have to fight tooth and nail just to gain a foothold on American soil, let alone roll through state after state. Then there is the general who would have found himself at best relieved of command the second he shot a friendly and at worst, beaten to an inch of his life by the soldiers who were present
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hemingway

Brandon, I don't know, but maybe you missed the fact America had no early warning to the Russian invasion. I've heard people talk about the supposed civilian resistance the Russians would encounter, which I find implausible at best. Come on. Suburbanites who happen to own weapons against highly trained and well-equipped Russian paratroopers? Give me a break.

That said, I find the Modern Warfare games had brilliant stories, precisely because they're believable, but still slightly incredible. Sort of like conspiracy theories.

Inkidu

Watch Red Dawn, Brandon. That's the long-standing theory (I'm not joking) of how Russia would invade the U.S. because to take the U.S. you have to cut it right down the middle.

Still anyway, yeah I hear the argument. I'd rather have five hours of awesome make-me-soil-my-unmentionables game play. Than fifteen of boring game play. That's great if you don't have to pay fifty bucks a game. I agree with Brandon. It can be the best food on the planet but I'm still not paying fifty bucks for five ounces. I want my money's worth.

I've pretty much voiced my opinions on the CoD franchise. While it's good. The lack of single player customization on any level, a one-sided focus on multiplayer that doesn't work as well as it should, and your main character being a lifeless golem pretty much make the game only change in regards to what you're shooting and when.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Aiden

In the PSP- Yugioh dual force 5 or something

In the DS- Advance Wars Dual Strike

PC- Dynastsy Warriors Online Open Beta

Xbox- The new CoD

iphone- Zuma

And I am like no where in all of them since I don't actually turn them on to play. >.<

Sabby

You forget about the EMP, which is fast becoming gamings new Laser Cannon >.< Hitting the states with a massive black out, and then throwing your whole military at them... yeah, that's guna roll right over them until they get their shit together. That would be when the stalemates happen, and we're not at that point yet.

As for the Russians being fools, yes, I agree with you here. Nazi's have been overdone, and gaming is looking for a new common enemy, and with Islamic terrorists still being a bit risky to portray, and North Korea being mentally unstable, Russia seems the logical choice.

And for the rest of the storyline? I'm mixed. The first game was brilliant, not too unbelievable, but still with that tense war film feeling to it. The second was a huge shift in mood, that took a lot of liberties and asked the player to forgive a lot more, while trying to make things a bit more exciting and Jame's Bondish. If your the kind of person who reads deep into everything, as I'm thinking you are Brandon, then I honestly don't blame you for feeling this way. Hell, I could see the stories holes while I was playing, but I forgave it, because it was so tense and exciting, and at least the underlying motivations were understandable.

Modern Warfare is a finely made series of shooters with a good story line, and I can't wait for Modern Warfare 3.

Speaking of Modern Warfare... I'm playing Bad Company 2 :) Which is pretty much just MW with the Three Stooges.

I'm a little confused over it though, as it seems to drop some serious sci-fi vibes into it, but never makes much use of them... current level, I'm riding an ATV around a bleached white desert, with WW2 era cargo ships half buried in the sand, looking for a part of a Japanese super weapon.

If that's not something out of X-Files, or Lost... but it just drops it all :/ tries to keep it a light hearted war story with hilarious bickering, and the main objective being saving apple pie and the Dallas Cowboy's Cheerleaders, while going fishing.

Brandon

The single player of Bad company 2 is designed to be light hearted and funny first and foremost and it accomplishes it very well. Especially for one of the more realistic shooters out there. Then again going by realism both games have their problems but I can forgive bad company 2 because its a more X-files-esque story and X-files was one of my favorite shows of all time. Modern warfare 2 I have a much harder time forgiving because I was a soldier and I dislike anyone portraying soldiers of any kind as incompetant

Although, I do wish they would get away from russians and terrorists as antagonists. One thing they could do, assuming they wanted do something more politicaly meaningful, is make Mexico and US tensions increase over illegal immigration. Both sides troops are on the border and a small group of one side, or both sides, or a third party wants to escalate things. Thats just one idea
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on November 12, 2010, 10:11:26 PM
You forget about the EMP, which is fast becoming gamings new Laser Cannon >.< Hitting the states with a massive black out, and then throwing your whole military at them... yeah, that's guna roll right over them until they get their shit together. That would be when the stalemates happen, and we're not at that point yet.

The EMP wasn't the Russians, that was Price. Get your facts straight, Sabby!

Sabby

Oh shit, sorry, I'm getting BC2 and MW2 confused x.x my bad.

Hemingway

Anyway. I've been playing Black Ops multiplayer for close to 30 hours now, and ... well, I'm starting to look forward to BFBC2: Vietnam. Don't get me wrong. Black Ops is fantastic. It's a step up from MW2, for sure. But Battlefield, for all its flaws ( and they are numerous ), does have one thing that Call of Duty doesn't: game modes that aren't all about killing as many enemies as possible. I cannot overstate how much I prefer Rush in Battlefield, to the grindest in Call of Duty. The feeling that there's some goal to what you're doing other than racking up kills, does so much for the long-term playability of a game. There's a reason I've played MW2 for 64 hours on steam, and Battlefield almost twice as long, 117 hours.

Battlefield has fewer unlocks and less exciting weapons - which sucks. It gets weapon physics all wrong - which sucks. It won't let me put optics on the M14, which doesn't even make sense, as the version of the rifle in the game is one specifically designed for that purpose. It won't let me go prone or lean. But, damn, getting to sit back and mark enemies and provide cover fire for my brother while he plants explosives, there's something to be said for that.

Oh, and did I mention the Vietnam addon while have a Vietnam setting? With music? Oh, hell yeah.

Brandon

Agreed, one reason I like battlefield so much more is because Im not very good at the shooting aspect in FPS games which is also why I usually play them so little. Its odd because I would always get top scores on the range when I was in the army but apparantly being able to drill someone between the eyes at 500 yards with no scope doesnt translate well into video games. Anyway in battlefield I can do other things and still rack up a ton of points. As a medic I keep people alive or revive them while laying down cover fire. As an assault I hand out ammo and provide concealment with my smoke grenades. As an engineer I keep the vehicles running and blow enemy vehicles up (when im not sneaking into the enemy base and stealing them as Recon that is). Then as Recon I set C4 traps, deforest enemy approach lanes to make it a killing field, and if an assault is nice enough to give me an ammo box Ill block out the sun with motion balls. Yes, no one can dispute the power of my balls! :P

What Im saying is, even with my lack of skill in K/D my points per minute tend to be through the roof because Im doing everything else that isnt shooting infantry. Its common for me to get in the top 3 high scorers of the game and only have a handful of kills

That is one of the many reasons I love battlefield: bad company 2 and it is my multiplayer game of choice. Im not sure how I will feel about Vietnam but I'll give it a look

Hemingway

Well, like I said, games get it all wrong.

Heh, smoke grenades, yeah. You'd be surprised how many people don't understand how they work. Or maybe you wouldn't.

I was playing MW2 once, and some guy was complaining about campers. I suggested he try smoke grenades, and he asked, "why would I smoke grenades when flash/stun grenades are so much better?" It was a very facepalm moment. Until I found the camper, threw a smoke grenade in front of him, got up to him and wasted his ass. I felt very smug about that.

Anyway. MW2, Black Ops and BC2 seem to be all people talk about. Which is a bit unfair, because easily the best game of the whole CoD franchise, is CoD4: MW. I actually found the DVD, and I'm gonna try it and see if multiplayer in that game is still alive. Unfortunately, I only have the DVD here so I'll have to get my CD key tomorrow. We'll see then if the way I remember it, with multiplayer matches that basically revolved around choke points and two teams trying to kill the other team still holds true. I mean, I remember what it was like, but it remains to be seen whether the change to random deathmatch games without any teamplay is a result of a change in the game's mechanics, or in the players.

Oniya

Quote from: Hemingway on November 13, 2010, 09:53:03 AM
Oh, and did I mention the Vietnam addon while have a Vietnam setting? With music? Oh, hell yeah.

When you say a soundtrack, would that be a soundtrack of Vietnam ambiance, or a soundtrack culled from the movies/music of the time? (Both have their plus points, in my opinion, but I'm envisioning something like the background music in Apocalypse Now or Good Morning Vietnam.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Hemingway

Quote from: Oniya on November 13, 2010, 11:24:44 AM
When you say a soundtrack, would that be a soundtrack of Vietnam ambiance, or a soundtrack culled from the movies/music of the time? (Both have their plus points, in my opinion, but I'm envisioning something like the background music in Apocalypse Now or Good Morning Vietnam.)

Well, Battlefield: Vietnam, which I assume this will essentially be a remake of, had contemporary music playing in vehicles. You can find the full soundtrack in the wikipedia article. It's amazing.

They've also said it's going to have other sound effects from that time, though, radio chatter and whatnot, I guess, since DICE really seem to be getting good at making the sound part of their games amazing.

Inkidu

I would really like to see WWI done in a game. Can you imagine it. The combat in WWI is so brutal, it's visceral. Using rifles pistols, raiding trenches with trench spikes (a.k.a. trench knives). That would make for good game material. I would like to see a person raiding a trench who uses a knife or pistol have a one-up on someone dumb enough to try and stick to his rifle but that's not going to happen. FPS's are lame when it comes to that kind of thing. Oh, well. Though I typically don't play historical war games especially FPSes. I like Modern Warfare for that.

I don't think it's really all that cool to make WWI and WWII, Vietnam into a game. Despite how original I said a WWI game would be that's all I think it would be original for the market.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on November 13, 2010, 05:34:05 PM
I would really like to see WWI done in a game. Can you imagine it. The combat in WWI is so brutal, it's visceral. Using rifles pistols, raiding trenches with trench spikes (a.k.a. trench knives). That would make for good game material. I would like to see a person raiding a trench who uses a knife or pistol have a one-up on someone dumb enough to try and stick to his rifle but that's not going to happen. FPS's are lame when it comes to that kind of thing. Oh, well. Though I typically don't play historical war games especially FPSes. I like Modern Warfare for that.

I don't think it's really all that cool to make WWI and WWII, Vietnam into a game. Despite how original I said a WWI game would be that's all I think it would be original for the market.

We need more games that are set in futuristic war times..>_>

Oniya

Nah, let's go back a few.  Conquer the Mediterranean a la Alexander the Great!

Wolfy

Quote from: Oniya on November 13, 2010, 07:06:05 PM
Nah, let's go back a few.  Conquer the Mediterranean a la Alexander the Great!

*points Oniya to the Civilization games* Ahem.

Hemingway

As a setting for games, I love WW2. Unfortunately, it's been done so many times, there really isn't a market for it right now. The original Call of Duty was mind-blowingly awesome when it came out, but there's been about a bazillion WW2 games since then. My hope is that, in a few years, we'll get something that's as fresh and awesome as Modern Warfare was when it first came out. Something that's both excellent gameplay-wise, but also has a story beyond reenacting history. I would absolutely love to see a sequel to Enemy Territory.

Vietnam hasn't really been overdone in the same way, so BFBC2: Vietnam is going to be a welcome change of scenery. And technology.

I'm all for exploring other settings, but it'd be really hard to pull off. The four most common settings: WW2, Vietnam/Cold War, Modern and futuristic really lend themselves to that type of game. Go further back, and the tactics don't really allow for fast-paced action games.

Oh, and futuristic/sci-fi, all too often ends up being silly, because it's basically the same as modern warfare, but with cartoonish guns. I don't know why assault rifles in the future are all really bulky and have ridiculous names. OH YEAH IT'S THE XZ88-564 "RAPTOR" ASSAULT RIFLE. Good god. If anything, shouldn't the weapons look less bulky and more practical than nowadays? And what about mechs? Does nobody realize how impractical they'd be - at least the bipedal ones you usually see?

Sabby

Don't encourage them >.< there's too many shooters as it is. If we're specifically targeting wars here, let's go back a bit, to before they had guns, or when guns were just starting to be the cool new thing. I'd love to see something like The Battle of Troy, in the same "Your just one man inside of a huge war/your a single soldier and hardly even important" fashion as some Call of Duty's.

Brandon

They could do a war game revolving around the American revolution or civil war. Both had guns that sucked

Wolfy

Quote from: Brandon on November 13, 2010, 09:55:52 PM
They could do a war game revolving around the American revolution or civil war. Both had guns that sucked

They already did one about the Civil War...it sucked. :P