The Spark (5e, furry friendly, MtG inspired, noob friendly)

Started by TheSithChicken, January 18, 2018, 10:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: TheSithChicken on January 22, 2018, 12:30:12 AM
@Zaer - I like that idea. Remind me of that when I create the official Game Info/Character Creation thread.

Ok, will do :).

Sain

PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Hexed

Chulanowa

I'm gonna go with the unicorn idea, personally; as neat as the sphinx is, it strikes me that maybe having thumbs is kinda paramount in a game that might end up with cool artifacts and whatnot  ;D

Zaer Darkwail

Plus casually flashing nudist sorceress is always plus for party mood.

Lockepick

My history is, admittedly, short. I wasn't sure if we were starting as Planeswalker, or what sort of 'dynamic event' creates/causes us to become a Planeswalker.

Also, any details on how character creation will be done? I know that nobody is officially accepted yet, but just to muse over creation.

Character
Name: Fumino
Race: Anthro-Fox (stats to come)
Class: Warlock (Ashen Wolf Patron; Pact of the Blade)
Plane of Origin: Zendikar - A dangerous plane of high risk and reward, with nature taking back where the old empires fell.
Description: Fumino stand shorter than most at 5'6", one of the smaller canines that are seen out adventuring. His body is slim and lithe, and always seems tense and at the ready. His fur is a dark, smokey grey, with a bright red that tinges the tips of his fur, as well as the tuft of hair atop his head, between pointed and alert ears. When in public places, he favors loose clothing that hide his silhouette and make him seem larger than he is, but when alone, he's more content in less clothing. Either way, he's always seen unarmed and unarmored, but ready for action.
History: Fumino came from a small tribe that lived in the jungles of Zendikar. Like many of the tribes there, they mostly thrived around hunting and trade with other tribes, of which Fumino was originally not very good at either. He tagged along with small packs as they went on hunts, mostly offering support, caring for weapons and armor, and carrying their supplies. During an especially dangerous hunt, he was backed into a corner, where the Ashen Wolf saw his potential and offered to give him the strength to truly join the hunt. With the Ashen Wolf's gift, he quickly brought home trophy after trophy, eventually going off on his own to take down prey that the rest of the village would have needed a pack for.

He eventually outgrew the area where his tribe lived, and decided to venture off to bring himself and the tribe more glory. Zendikar was littered with trap-filled ruins, protected by beasts and filled with prizes for the taking. He's been traveling alone across Zendikar, honing his skills and gathering trophies, always looking for a greater challenge and a greater hunt.

Player
Expectations: I love when there are NPC factions or groups -- it gives PCs a real reason to interact with NPCs beyond buying stuff or getting a room at the inn.
Fears: Pacing is always hard to control, but is the main reason games die.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

sullivanthedreadlord

How many spots are available? I was thinking of playing a gruff on the exterior Dwarf. He got drunk and stumbled through a portal and here he is.
I walk in the light for ever bathed in its glory, and yet my heart yearns to be consumed by the darkness hidden with in my soul

My O/O Page

Chulanowa

So, I wanted to check in with ya Sith, about building my own. Looking over the Monstrous Races take on the unicorn, it's... pretty lame. i mean it's good if you want to run around spearing people with your head, it's great for that actually... But doesn't really seem to work for a half-unicorn, half-eladrin biped that... doesn't do that  ;D

So what do you think about...

Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 2, and either your strength or wisdom increase by 1
Size. Tall and often "built," but not outside the range of a human or eladrin; your size is medium
Fleet of Foot. Thanks to hooves and long legs, your speed increased to 35 feet, but only when unarmored or unencumbered.
Darkvision. Accustomed to twilit forests and the night sky, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60' of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You cannot discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Heart senses. You have proficiency in the Insight skill
Innate magic. You know either the druidcraft or minor illusion cantrip.
Fey Step. As a bonus action, you can magically teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space you can see. Once you use this trait, you can’t do so again until you finish a short or long rest.
Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws against being Charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep
Immaculate resilience. You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have Resistance against poison damage.

It's basically just an Eladrin, with poison resistance, a conditional +5 speed, and Insight instead of Perception, way less "flex" on the cantrips, and fixed half-elf stat boosts instead of standard Elf / Eladrin ones.

TheSithChicken

And I return from the land of terrible migraines! Yay! My health is shite!

@silentwalrus - How does this sound?

Anthro Griffin Race
+2 St, +1 Cha
Medium size
30ft, 40ft flying

Flight: You cannot fly while wearing medium or heavy armor or anything heavier than a medium load.

Natural Weapons: You are proficient with your unarmed strikes, which deal 1d6 + modifier slashing damage on a hit.

Keen Sight: You have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks pertaining to sight.

@Lockepick - We will be starting as Planeswalkers but how long ago that was is up to you. And I did promise you some better Anthro fox stats than the book gives didn't I? Feel free to remind me of things when I start to lose track. Are you wanting to go the Kitsune mystical route or be more of a Disney's Robin Hood kind of anthro fox?

@sullivanthedreadlord - We still have a couple of open spots (not sure how many as I haven't counted). So you are welcome to throw an idea together. However "getting drunk and stumbling through a portal" doesn't work here. All the characters are Planeswalkers. They have the Spark. Magic that lets them cross between planes and it always manifests itself first in the midst of a dire situation. A comedic scene doesn't work for the tone of that moment.

@Chulanowa - Looks good to me.

sullivanthedreadlord

If that's the case well I am planning on building a Barbarian that goes with the animal aspects as they gain levels. Could be in the middle of an intense combat when a demonic bear attacked his family his magic activated and transported him there.
I walk in the light for ever bathed in its glory, and yet my heart yearns to be consumed by the darkness hidden with in my soul

My O/O Page

Chulanowa

Well, maybe that's how dwarf planeswalking works. He didn't specify a magic portal, so any portal should do. Get blasted and stumble through a door and now you're in Innstrad!

Bibliophilia

Sith, wuld 'in the midst of battle' count as a dire situation?  And, that said, are they initially like fauns trying to learn to walk, so one could potentially pass from their plane to another, only to find themselves without the control and skill needed to find their way back?

TheSithChicken

Quote from: Bibliophilia on January 24, 2018, 11:46:57 PM
Sith, wuld 'in the midst of battle' count as a dire situation?  And, that said, are they initially like fauns trying to learn to walk, so one could potentially pass from their plane to another, only to find themselves without the control and skill needed to find their way back?

Yes and yes.

Bibliophilia

-nods.-  Perfect.  I'll update N'mah's history with a little bit about her first time crossing planes.

silentwalrus227

That looks great to me, Sith! Regarding flight, I was planning to have him be a medium armored, more mobile knight anyway so that’s perfect.

sullivanthedreadlord

Name: Davar Hammerforge
Race: Dwarf
Class: Barbarian
Plane of Origin: Forgotten Realms
Description: Stands at a tall 5 foot for a dwarf. He keeps his heads nice and shaved but as dwarven tradition dictates he keeps a nice and well trimmed beard. He is not as hairy as most dwarfs. From all his days of fighting he is well built. He keeps in shape and is never prone to being lazy.

History:

From the moment he was able to lift a hammer he was fighting. There was nothing more worthy of his attention than looking for the next fight. It was because of this eagerness to prove himself that he joined his clans army as soon as he was able to. He spent a good 50 years fighting along the borders and doing his best for clan and family. Not to say that he didn't give his trust to outsiders. He only gave his real trust to people who had his back in combat. After he did his mandatory term on the borders on his homeland he could continually volunteer for duty.

It was his ferocity and strength of spirit that led to many calling him a hero. He would stand where other dwarfs would fall. He was known for putting himself between his friends and danger. It was because of this that he was promoted to the rank of captain. During one particularly tough battle with what looked like a demonic bear his spark activated. Just as the bear looked like it was going to land a killing blow on him he was transported to a distant land. With no knowledge of where he was or how to get back, he is going to have to make the best of the situation and learn how to get back home.

Player
Expectations: A good story, lots of new friends and to be challenged.
Fears: No teamwork and lack of story

My O/O Page

Lockepick

Can you go into some detail on how one becomes a Planeswalker? Is it like... a sudden transformation, or is it just a title one achieves for being especially bad ass?

As for the race -- I'm thinking more Mystical/Trickster Kitsune would fit the character more than a 'Robin Hood/Fox' type. Honestly -- using High Elf as a base could work. Switch the attributes to +2 Cha, +1 Dex -- Then it's just about swapping out Trance and Elf Weapon Training for something else.

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

TheSithChicken

@sullivanthedreadlord - Looks fine to me.

@Lockepick - The Spark is ignited under extreme stress. Brink of death, being buried alive, losing a loved one, etc. Something best described as a "great ordeal". When it awakens it has a tendency to send you flying off to another plane. Often in a mildly confused state as you are no longer in said ordeal or world.

I have a Kitsune race and - with mild modifications because one of the abilities is insane in it's base form - would be a good base. How does this work?

Kitsune
+2 Cha, +1 Dex
Size Medium
Speed 30ft

Darkvision

Keen Senses: Advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks based around hearing

Tail Casting - You can perform the somatic gestures for spells with your tails. If a spell requires a somatic component, the kitsune must have free use of their tail or at least one hand to perform the gestures.

Foxfire - You know the produce flame cantrip. For you this counts as an illusion spell. The fire is blue in color and fey in nature. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for this spell. If you gain any other fire spell with your class that fire is also blue and of a fey nature.

Guise of the Fox - You can cast disguise self once per long rest using your Charisma as your spellcasting ability.

sullivanthedreadlord

My O/O Page

TheSithChicken

After I get off my ass and put all that up. No strict time schedule though - and not just because I'll never adhere to a schedule.

Bibliophilia

Lockepick

@GM: About the Kitsune Race...

- I get the vibe and I'd normally love the idea, but the whole 'fire becomes blue' sort of goes against my current image with the Ashen Wolf.
- I'm not entirely sure I understand how Produce Flame works as an illusion, since it's an attack spell?

Can I offer a counter offer:
Fox (Trickster)

+2 Cha, +1 Dex
Size Medium
Speed 30ft
- Darkvision 60'
- Keen Senses: Proficiency in the Perception Skill.
- Tail Casting: You can perform the somatic gestures for spells with your tail. If a spell requires a somatic component, the Trickster must have free use of their tail or at least one hand to perform the gestures.
- Fata Morgana: Gain the 'Minor Illusion' Cantrip.
- Guise of the Fox: You can cast Disguise Self (Using Charisma as spellcasting ability), once per long rest.

TheSithChicken

Illusion spells can do damage. It's mostly a flavor thing going back to the old myths of kitsune. Your counter offer is acceptable.

TheSithChicken

sullivanthedreadlord

My O/O Page