D&D for EVIL Characters/Party

Started by OldSchoolGamer, October 19, 2008, 05:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Eden on December 07, 2008, 06:39:18 PM
Hey there! I have a character I'd like to join in with.

Name: Corr Makario
Race: Human
Class: Thief 1st level
Height: 5'6"
Brief physical description: Corr is lithe and tautly muscled, olive skinned with collar-length black hair. She has a few shallow scars in various stages of fading, mostly on her right forearm. She is ambidextrous in most of her work, but has a stronger left hand. Her eyes are green-amber.

Quirks:

Strong-willed.  Years of rough-and-tumble life have made Corr just a little tougher mentally than she otherwise would be.  +2 to saving throws versus charm and sleep-based spells, +1 to save versus illusions.

Evader.  In her short life, Corr has learned that the foolproof way to avoid taking damage is not to be there when it's dished out.  +1 to Dexterity when calculating AC in combat.

GrinningHound

Am I too late?  I have my character mostly statted out now, and the background, while not fantastic, is pretty solid in my opinion.

The exact numbers I decided on are on my other computer, along with the book, but this is pretty close.

Gorin Murricane

N Human Fighter
str 18/30  +1 hit, +3 dam 135 weight 280 max press OD 12 BBLG20%
dex  10  No mods
con  12  80% SS 85% revive
int  8  1 bonus langs
wis  13 No mods
cha  10 4 Henchmen

HP 10
AC 8 w/ leather, 7 w/ shield
Thac0 20

Attack: 
Bastard Sword +2 to hit  3/2 attacks  1d8+5 one handed, 2d4+5 two handed
Handaxe: -1 to hit (-2 throwing) 1d6+3 damage

Saves:
Poison or Death Magic 14
Rod, Staff, Wand 16
Petrification, Polymorph  15
Breath Weapon 17
Spell 17

Weapon Profs: 
2 Spec Bastard Sword
2 Spec Longbow

Nonweapon:
1 Hunting
2 Endurance

Equipment:
Bastard Sword, leather armor, medium shield, 4 throwing axes, dagger, backpack, belt w/ 2 pouches, 50 ft. hemp rope w/ grappling hook, sack, winter blanket, 2 torches, flint and steel, flask of lamp oil, misc. stuff I don't care to list.

GP:  6 (I estimated)

Background:

His father was an abusive drunk who, with his mother, traveled with his uncle and his wife, a family of simple caravan traders.  Gorin traveled with them and their family friend and caravan guard Thremm, from whom he learned the barest basics of the warrior trade.  As he got old enough to understand more of the family business, he learned of the high taxes and unscrupulous policies of the powerful merchants his parents worked for, which kept them in near constant poverty.

One day his caravan was waylaid by highwaymen.  Gorin was helping to fend them off, being a rather strapping lad at this point.  Thremm was killed by a large orc, and his mother was shot in shoulder by a crossbow.  The orc, having been disarmed, leapt onto Gorin and brought him to the ground, as his two flunkies closed on them.  Gorin's father, thinking him dead for sure, ran off with the caravan to protect his wife and himself.

Gorin managed to wrestle the large orc off of himself, and flung him into one of the other attackers, tripping them both up.  The final struck him with the crossbow in the thigh, and the large orc regained his footing and weapon.  Rather than kill Gorin, he knocked him unconscious, and kept him, fascinated by his great strength.

Gorin then lived with the highwaymen, a sordid crew of assorted rogues, conmen, and thugs.  Having no lost love for his abusive father, he grew to rather appreciate their lifestyle, as rather than bow to the shady businessmen and abide by the petty laws of civilization, they took what they wanted and lived the good life.

Eventually, of course, the band was wiped out by a band of motley heroes come to claim the head of Grogg, the large orc warrior who led them.  Gorin, being no fool, took the opportunity to save his own life as it became obvious that they were outmatched and his companions were being slaughtered.

Him and Grogg fled, and Gorin took the opportunity to murder Grogg by crushing his neck in his hands, a sort of revenge for killing his friend Thremm.  Carrying the body out of the woods, back into the massacre, he dropped it at the feet of the heroic group, claiming that he had just so happened to be stalking the band as they came along.  They traveled for a bit together, but Gorin didn't get along with Reiner, the team's fervently moral leader.  They parted ways in Oldsted...

Ouria

Finally finished with my Wild Child

Name:   Khalla                     
Race:   Human                     
Class:   Ranger                     
Height:   5'6"   Weight:   119               
Appearance:
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp228/Maibh/Khalla/Khalla.jpg

Min Stats:   STR: 13   DEX: 13   CON: 14   WIS: 14            
Stat:   Value   Cost   Point Total: 75      Remaining: 0         
STR:   13   13   Hit: +0, Dmg: +0, Weight: 45, Max Press: 140 Open Doors: 7 Bend Bars: 4%               
DEX:   16   18   Reaction Adj: +1, Missile Att: +1, Def Adj: -2               
CON:   14   14   Adj: 0, Shock: 88%, Survival: 92%, Save: 0 Regen: Nil               
INT:   8   8   Languages: 1               
WIS:   14   14   Mag Def Adj: 0, Bonus Spells: 1st, Spell Fail: 0%               
CHA:   8   8   Max # Henchmen: 3, Loyalty: -1, Reaction: 0               
Align:   Lawful Evilish (Which to me, means an Evil person with a code of honor, and a respect for heirarchy…until you are potent enough to overthrow the heirarchy)                     

Weapons:      Weight   DAM   Factor   Short   Medium   Long   ROF   Cost   
Long Swords (2)      8   1d8   5   n/a   n/a   n/a   n/a   30   
Dagger         1   1d4   2   10   20   30   2 for 1   2   
Composite Long Bow   3   ammo   7   ammo   ammo   ammo   2 for 1   100   
12 Flight Arrows   n/a   1d6   n/a   60   120   210   n/a   0.3   
12 Sheaf Arrows      n/a   1d8   n/a   40   80   170   n/a   0.6   
Knife         0.5   1d3   2   10   20   30   2 for 1   0.5   
Armor:            Base AC                     
Studded Leather      25   7                  20   
Gear:                           
Soft Boots, Belt, Breeches, Cloak (Cloth), Brooch, Gloves, Tunic, Beltpouch (3 Large), Backpack, Flint and Steel, 3 Large Sacks, Silk Rope (50ft), Quiver, Whetstone, winter blanket, waterskin                              
Total Gear Cost:      31.32    gp
Total Gear Weight:   19.5   pounds                  
Proficiencies:                              
WP   4                           
NWP   3   Tracking (Free), Hunting, Swimming, Survival (forest)                        

Platinum   0   Electrum   0   Copper   18               
Gold   14   Silver   11                     

Total Weight:   57 pounds                     

Perk:
Quirk:
Flaw:

Background (warning, it is long):                        
A Child of the wilds, Khalla grew up in harsh circumstances.  Her mother died in childbirth, her father…she has no memory of.  She can only assume that he was not around (at least during a time she had memory of).  The wilds are unforgiving to those who have a weakness, and as such, she has few.  A lack of education in general has left her intellect undeveloped, a seed that was never planted.  Her lack of sentient company has left her poor company.  Indeed, she talks to herself...often more than to others.  In her early adulthood, she was captured by orc slavers, and sold.  Her first Master had quite a time of it, trying to get her to adapt to civilized slavelife, and to speak a human tongue.  He was the one who named her, and he eventually succeeded.  By a combination of threats (which he demonstrated on other slaves) and enticements (again,, other slaves were shown benefiting from their obedience), he convinced her to give her word to be a good slave, provided she got the opportunity to buy her way free.  She became an admirable pitfighter, quickly picking up the nuances of twin longblades.  Indeed, in the wilds, she hunted often with rudimentary spears, and later bows with stone-tipped arrows, and woulf often use two sharpened bones as 'blades'.  The had seen some other humans hunt and imitated them.  He did not long reap the benefits of her obedience, as he was an old man, and expired not long after.  Her second master was a greedy man, inheritor of her first's estate.  He was an indifferent master, and had little impact, changing nothing of the arrangements in the slave areas.  She won him money in the pits and arenas, as well as outside, as he began to sell other services of hers.  She is, after all, good looking...if not very personable.  His gambling habits became his downfall, and he expired in a back alley in some city.  Khalla was sold to a far off town to pay for his debts.  Her third master broke the deal.  He took her money, all that she had earned, and all that she earned in his service.  She took this to mean that the deal was off, and she was no longer required to be a good slave.  As such, she killed him.  Sadly for Khalla, he was a supporter (a very wealthy supporter) of one of the old men on the Council.  His heir was not.  The Council Member demanded she be tortured to death, but...as one might expect, he had a rival.  This rival benefitted from this shift in power and saw a potential in her.  After all, new game pieces were always so exciting!  So, he spoke against his rival, and bought Khalla.  She was immediately freed.  In her mind, this created a debt (him saving her life, that is).  Wild though she was, she has a strong internal sense of honor (one should not confuse this for a sense of justice, or any other such good or noble thing).  To repay this debt, she swore an oath of service to him, until his death, and now has a small place in his retinue.  It was he who outfitted her, for he has appearances to maintain.  Thus came she to the city of Oldsted.

The Great Triangle

Hmm... Want to have any link between your character and mine, Ouria?

I think it would provide a great dynamic if your character happened to be the retainer of my character's estranged father, possibly sent to "keep an eye on" my character, although with no explanation for why.  (with a subtle implication that if the charismatic young priest threatens the established order of Oldsted, to go and dispose of him.)

What do you think?
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Mnemaxa

You do have a thing for plots and counterplots, don't you oh Triangular one....

Not that this is a bad thing.  *hides stack of papers that are being transcribed for his offline tabletop game*

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

The Great Triangle

The more focused everyone's background is, the less time we have to waste sitting uncomfortably trying to engage in small talk, and the more time we can spend plotting to take over the world.  :)

Ons and Offs

Ouria

An interesting thought, and one that promotes a bit of inter-party conflict/tension.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but...a thing to keep in mind is that my character lacks political subtlety.  If, indeed, your father is this council-member in my background, that offers possibilities.  I was vague on the council-member's identity intentionally.  The implication, however, would likely be largely lost on her, though, and she would probably assume that her task is to keep an eye on him, watch him and protect him.  If this is not a problem...

The Great Triangle

That works for me.  :) 

Of course, when your character realizes that my character is doing everything in his power to undermine her benefactor...

Yet what if he romanced her first?

*giggles at the possibilities*

Ons and Offs

Mnemaxa

Fighter, ranger, thief, illusionist, wizard, cleric.....a frighteningly well rounded party to say the least.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

GrinningHound

Hmm....are my doot's stats decent?  He doesn't seem like he has great survivability for a front line guy.  No HP bonus and no dex bonus to AC, though I would prefer HP.

I don't want to knock off the mental stats too much though.  ???

Suggestions?

The Great Triangle

Be a strong idiot.  We've already got people to do your thinking for you.  :)

Ons and Offs

GrinningHound

The Great Triangle

Well then be a big strong mysterious loner who doesn't need to hold extended conversations.  *grins*

Ons and Offs

GrinningHound

But then my character will get manipulated by certain other characters, and I do not heart that.

The Great Triangle

Well, you've got to suck at something.  Notice how dysfunctional Achillies was?  How Alexander screwed the pooch repeatedly on his tactics?  To be a great warrior, you need a great weakness.  (and probably a small one too.  Alex's was drinking.)

Ons and Offs

GrinningHound

Yeah, but having someone else play my character is not my idea of a good time.  Thus, I want to be able to resist certain charismatic individuals.

Not that that's possible in this rules system.  One Reaction roll and suddenly you have to be 'very friendly' or whatever.  Lame.

The Great Triangle

*sighs*  You know that isn't how the rules work between PCs.  Planning kingdoms and ruling the world is a pretty good occupation for a fighter, but you have to choose between being Hercules or Alexander.  You can't be both.  If you're going to avoid the influence of others, I sure as hell hope you've got a plan for your life.  Being smart with nothing to do isn't particularly worthwhile.  :)

Ons and Offs

GrinningHound

Hrmm.  I guess.

Is Wisdom really useful when it's not high enough for the save resistances?  There are some nice Non weapon profs that use it, but is it worth the extra few points that could be spent having enough hit points so that a couple ogres don't take me down with a lucky crit?

I suppose that goes for Cha as well.  Though I usually don't like to use it as a dump stat, it's not really helping me sucking points away from something useful.  A 10 is no reaction bonus or anything, so why not just go a little lower?  Besides, people don't usually like big scary murderers. :P

Mnemaxa

Quote from: GrinningHound on December 10, 2008, 03:04:12 AM
Hrmm.  I guess.

Is Wisdom really useful when it's not high enough for the save resistances?  There are some nice Non weapon profs that use it, but is it worth the extra few points that could be spent having enough hit points so that a couple ogres don't take me down with a lucky crit?

I suppose that goes for Cha as well.  Though I usually don't like to use it as a dump stat, it's not really helping me sucking points away from something useful.  A 10 is no reaction bonus or anything, so why not just go a little lower?  Besides, people don't usually like big scary murderers. :P

That is correct, but then again, it's impossible to raise stats in this game without wishes or magic items of great power.  A lower stat remains lower almost forever, and the boost items  - by DM's fiat - give a set stat level rather than a bonus to your stat.  so you have to consider those options.  and also, he's stated that ALL stats are important in some way or another, so don't presume that a lower stat won't hurt you.  On the other hand, a id level stat doesn't necessarily help either, you're right.

Beautiful Lie

Fighting classes generally get the shaft when it comes to dealing with the Int/Wis/Cha. in the games i've played. Of course generally being able to smash things without even trying prevents people from mocking said fighters too much >.>;;
The following sentence is True. The previous sentence is a Lie.

The Great Triangle

Because of my character's low intelligence, he'll need an adviser to plot the big picture stuff while he engages in the more public evil overlording.  Given the handy Balseraph illusionist, and the odd wizard he met, he certainly won't have much trouble finding someone.  Now it's just a matter of figuring out who to place his trust in...

Ons and Offs

Beautiful Lie

The following sentence is True. The previous sentence is a Lie.

GrinningHound

Quote from: Beautiful Lie on December 10, 2008, 07:05:04 AM
Fighting classes generally get the shaft when it comes to dealing with the Int/Wis/Cha. in the games i've played. Of course generally being able to smash things without even trying prevents people from mocking said fighters too much >.>;;

Spellcasters can smash things without even trying.  We have enough of them though.  :P

Mnemaxa

Quote from: The Great Triangle on December 10, 2008, 08:42:21 AM
Because of my character's low intelligence, he'll need an adviser to plot the big picture stuff while he engages in the more public evil overlording.  Given the handy Balseraph illusionist, and the odd wizard he met, he certainly won't have much trouble finding someone.  Now it's just a matter of figuring out who to place his trust in...

That is of course presuming he gets the illusionist and not her sister the thief. ^_^  It might be awkward if he gets conflicting suggestions from the same person all the time....

Ouria

More important than having the perfectly honed character is having a character you will have fun with.  So, pick what allows you to have fun and go with it.  Suck up the stat problems and rationalize it.  The PHB does say that even though you have a low Int does not mean you are rock stupid.  It might mean a lesser capacity for critical thinking, a lesser amount of education, etc.

Take my character.  She is not stupid, but she is highly inexperienced in 'civilized' intellectual pursuits.  More advanced math, politics...not things she excels at.  History?  I voluntarily fail those sorts of checks.  Charisma.  She is not charismatic.  Not even in the slightest.  She probably smells off because she believes in using natural scents (she does bathe, but only because it is asked of her, otherwise, when she swims or it rains would do).  She is NOT eloquent.  Again, language is a second language for her.  Not educated.  Remember, most of the people in this time period had crap for education.  Low Wisdom might indicate impulsiveness, not being a damn fool.