Shadows of the Sword Coast (Forgotten Realms 3.5)

Started by Nicolae, October 19, 2013, 10:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicolae

Shadows of the Sword Coast

I'm planning on running a favorite campaign I've made in the Forgotten Realms, heavy on roleplaying and both character development and character interaction. Ultimately, I want interesting characters with hopes, dreams, fears, flaws, and if you want, even a fetish or two (you can feel free to use the Book of Erotic Fantasy or the Book of Unlawful Carnal Knowledge for inspiration). That will keep the game fresh and alive and keep us coming back for more.

As for the details of the game:

Where? Waterdeep, the largest port city on the Sword Coast. We won't stay there permanently, and the characters will have the ability and necessity (at times) to visit other cities, but we will start in Waterdeep.

When? 1368 DR, ten years after the Time of Troubles, in the Year of the Banner, so your character will remember the Time of Troubles.

Playable Races? Human, half elf, gold elf, moon elf, tiefling, and aasimar.

Character Ages? Bear in mind the time it takes to become level 8 (or ECL 8) and to gain that amount of experience. Humans should be in their early 20s at minimum, and other races should be at equivalent ages. If your character is Middle Aged or older, don't forget to alter their stats accordingly. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#tableAgingEffects

Sourcebooks allowed? PHB, DMG, Heroes of Horror, Libris Mortis, and any Forgotten Realms 3.5 sourcebook. Anything else, run it by me first and as long as it's reasonable and not game-breaking, I'll probably allow it. Any build is subject to veto at DM's discretion, but I'd only do that for powergaming or something game-breaking.

Sourcebooks not allowed? Tome of Battle, Unearthed Arcana (except for flaws, of which you may take a maximum of 2).

Starting level? 8th level (or an ECL of 8 if your race needs an ECL adjustment). That would put your characters at far enough advanced to have become comfortable in your skillsets, but just beginning to appear on important people's radar.

Ability Scores? We'll be using the point buy system with 34 points, as well as the extra point you get at level 4 and the one at level 8.

Hit Points? You get full hit points + CON for first level and then half of your hit dice + 1 + CON bonus for each level after that.

Starting gold? 36,000gp. Spend it wisely, with no more than half of it (18,000gp) on any one item.

Alignments? Any non-evil alignment is allowed. You guys are the good guys. It's possible to have someone of evil alignment fighting on the side of the good guys, but I would need extremely good reasons to allow an evil character for this.

Psionics? At the moment, no. Sorry if you really like them.

House Rules? Read them! They may be important for how you design your character build.
"Find them here."
1. When resting overnight, you recover (1+Con modifier)hp per level or 1hp per level, whichever is larger, if you have been damaged, up to your full hp. (Normally, the DnD 3.5 rules say that you get 1hp per night, or 2 for a full day's bed rest, but that penalizes those with high Constitution scores since they have more hitpoints to heal to get to their maximum. Those with higher Constitution scores should be faster healers, not slower healers. I think this makes things more fair, especially at lower levels when healing magic may be hard to come by.)

2. Short swords deal slashing damage or piercing, whichever is necessary to overcome the opponent's damage reduction. This is because the sword is light and easily maneuverable and able to be stabbed outward for piercing damage like a rapier or swung like a longsword for slashing damage.

3. Characters that are capable of turning undead may choose the effect they want to use, whether it is to repel them or to damage them, and may use either the rules from the Player's Handbook or Complete Divine, respectively, depending on which effect they would like to have. They may choose either effect each time they attempt to turn undead.

4. A natural 20 on an Attack Roll is a critical hit. There's no need for a critical threat roll on a natural 20. If the weapon has a larger range, such as 19-20, any d20 roll less than 20 does require a critical threat roll.

5. Some piercing or slashing weapons may be used to deal bludgeoning damage when used with a different technique than the conventional one, but at a -4 penalty on the Attack Roll (as an improvised weapon, since the weapon was not designed with inflicting that type of damage as its primary function). The damage of a slashing or piercing weapon used to inflict bashing damage (such as when a fighter uses the pommel of his longsword to bash in the skull of a zombie) is equivalent to a club of one size category smaller than the weapon used (so a longsword's pommel would deal the same damage as a small club, 1d4).

6. The damage from multiple sources of the celestial brilliance spell do not stack.

Flaws and Traits? You may take a maximum of 2 flaws and a maximum of 1 trait, and they must affect your character and be roleplayed accordingly.

Regional/Background Bonus Feats? You may take ONE regional or background bonus feat in addition to any other feats you have.

Character Backgrounds? They need to be somewhat consistent with your character class. For instance, a cleric or paladin should have a background that includes his or her training in the religious rituals and the church of his or her deity. A wizard should have a background that includes who taught him, where he learned the Art, and how he felt about studying ancient tomes for weeks on end. A rogue could have a background as a tavern-dancer (clothed or unclothed), cut-purse, lady-of-the-evening, or any of the myriad tasks a rogue can perform for money. I think we all get the point. Furthermore, at 8th level, your character has had some adventures, may have run with a guild related to their profession (which may not necessarily be their character class; you could easily have a fighter who worked as a bouncer, plumber, mason, carpenter, a shipwright, or a city guard when he needed a steady income or a wizard who worked as a librarian, bookbinder, historian, herbalist, magic item store clerk, etc.), may have run with an adventuring party (with potential plot hooks, romantic liasons between adventurers with potential torches carried for former lovers or romantic liasons that resulted in relationships that are still alive and may have led to your character starting a family!), or may have lived and worked at a temple for their entire lives (and would have made friendships, enemies, and perhaps romantic liasons among the others at the temple or frequent visitors.). Your backstory should take into consideration that you're making a level 8 (or ECL 8) character with a lot of experience.

Sexual Backgrounds/Preferences? You don't have to share it on the character sheet if you don't want to, but at least let me know via PM what your character's sexual orientation or preference is (It's DnD, so race as well as gender preference; does he like female elves? Does she have a thing for dwarves? Etc.), whether they have been intimate with another person in the past (your character would interact differently in some situations depending on whether he or she is a virgin, moderately sexually experienced, or very sexually experienced), any fetishes they may have (the Book of Erotic Fantasy and Book of Unlawful Carnal Knowledge have some decent ideas), and anything else you think may be relevant, especially if it is relevant to how your character would act around NPCs (Example: Your male elf ranger has a thing for large breasted, brunette, human females and is revived after a hunt turned deadly by a large breasted, brunette, human female druid). Does your character have a regular romantic partner or partners? Has your character ever had children, and with whom? If your character is female, does she use nararoot (a form of herbal female birth control that lasts between 1 and 2 weeks per dose, with one dose costing about 2sp)? If your character is male, does he use cassil (a form of male herbal birth control that makes a man infertile, though not impotent, for about a week per dose, but is more expensive than nararoot at 1gp per dose)? Does he or she use magical forms of birth control, such as a spell that renders someone infertile for a specific period of time (there are some in BoEF and BoUCK) and if so, how does he or she have access to this magic? Does your character have other sexual kinks? Is he or she an exhibitionist or a voyeur?

Deities? In the Forgotten Realms, the gods exist and there's no doubt about it. They can exert control over the elements, weather, biology, luck, and virtually every aspect of mortal or immortal life if properly encouraged. Nearly every character will have a patron deity that they feel either drawn to or feel that they can relate to the most. Clerics and paladins would feel this even more intensely, having been personally "called" by a deity into service, almost always at a young age. It's moderately well-known that those with no patron deities will be plastered into Kelemvor's Wall of the Faithless when their soul reaches his city after death, and that the only way to avoid this is to have a patron deity that the individual remains on reasonably good terms with. Consider the type of deity your character would follow, and his or her deity may have varying levels of influence on the backstory of the character. Consider how the same spells granted by different deities may appear different stylistically (a magic missile granted to a cleric of Bane may appear as a glowing, gauntleted fist hurtling toward your enemies, while the same spell granted to a cleric of Tymora may look like large, golden coins pelting the target, and the same spell granted to a cleric of Nobanion may appear as lions' heads hurtling toward the enemy and biting down when they strike. The damage wouldn't change, but there's no reason the flavor text can't make things more interesting.

Now, what do you need to know about the story to make characters? I don't want to give too much away, obviously, but I can tell you that your characters need to be proficient in battling the undead, both corporeal and incorporeal, but also in battling living opponents as well. Additionally, they will be hired by the City Watch (as sort of private contractors), so it would help if they have had positive interactions with someone on the City Watch so that their skills make them the ideal choices for the job the City Watch has for them. I'd rather tell you all of that ahead of time and give just a sliver of the story away than have you make a character that is not built with battling the undead in mind and create the potential for players to become frustrated and leave. Additionally, your character can be from virtually anywhere in Faerun as long as they have a reason for being in Waterdeep and have been there before to establish a reputation there for themselves.

If I've forgotten anything, please feel free to ask about it. So is anyone interested?
O/O   Ideas

Nicolae

Divine Healing? I am a lover of flavor text to make otherwise routine actions more interesting for the other players. When making a character capable of divine healing, how might they go about that differently for the different gods and goddesses? A priest or druid of Chauntea might provide divine healing by rubbing soil on the wound as well as praying and casting the spell. A priestess of Loviatar may ask for her goddess to heal someone's wounds by whipping a willing volunteer (nonlethal damage) and then healing the equivalent amount of damage that the volunteer received. A priestess of Sharess may heal through or during sex acts. The healing a priest of Mystra provides may look like engulfing the wound in harmless blue fire which dissipates, leaving the wound healed once it's gone. Be creative with your flavor text, and if you'd like a suggestion for potential flavor text for your character or you think your idea may be going overboard, ask me! I'd be happy to make suggestions. (Of course, those don't apply to divine healing during a battle, which would be done quickly, but the flavor text there could be written after the battle, when the cleric could perform the sacrament that he or she uses to thank the deity for the magic that he or she was granted for healing.)

Moral Shortcomings? Although there are no stats for these, unless your character is entirely selfless they will have a limit to their moral uprightness, assuming they are Good rather than Neutral. Consider (and let me know via PM!) what your character would be willing to do to achieve their goals, protect their loved ones, gain more power, etc. What vices do they have (gambling, booze, prostitutes, etc.)? What would tempt them to turn their back on their party, on their families, or on their deity? For many of those, your character may never be tempted to those depths, but let your answer reflect (among other things), your character's personality and alignment. This will help to make your character feel more real and much more interesting.

Hopes, Dreams, Wishes, and Fears? Via a PM (not publicly), tell me what your character's hopes, dreams, wishes, and their fears are, and what YOUR hopes, dreams, and wishes for your character are, since they may not be the same. Concerning fears, take into consideration any family they may have, potential loneliness of the adventuring life (is your character afraid they'll never find a soul mate?), and any traumatic experiences they may have had that still haunt their nightmares.

A Skillpoint Variant You May Want To Use: At character creation, the player may select up to two cross-class skills from his or her original class (the character class before multiclassing) and make them class-skills, as long as he or she selects the same number of class-skills from the original class to make cross-class skills. Essentially, if you want to change the flavor of your class, you can take two skills that would be cross-class and make them class (for the purposes of spending skill points) as long as you turn two class skills into cross-class. The only penalty is that those skills that you made cross-class cannot be made class skills again unless you multiclass into a class where they are cross-class. Make sure you mention this in your character sheet to prevent confusion.

Should I Choose A Class That's Already Been Chosen? Absolutely! Nobody has 'dibs' on any class, first of all, and I'd be happy to have a party with more than one character of the same class! I want quality characters above all else. If someone else has chosen the class you wanted to use, use it anyway. You won't be bumping them out of their spot in the party or making me choose between you. If you are having fun with the character class you wanted to use, then you are more likely to stay and continue to have fun here and less likely to get burned out.

Clerics and Paladins: Remember that gods and goddesses have specific times of the day when they expect their clerics to pray for their spells. I'll let you know when your deity expects you to pray depending on which deity you choose to follow. Some also include rituals and religious holidays that you are expected to know and participate in as a cleric, and I'll let you know about those as well, or if you have Faiths and Pantheons, you can read about them yourself.

Reserved for the list of COMPLETE character sheets submitted:
Countdown0 with Voloke
Blinkin with Wren
EroticFantasyAuthor with Sim Keen-Ear
Muse with Serge Renard
Zaer Darkwail with Adrian Scarlet
Re Z L with Elle "L" Ravalynn
Landshark with Cornelius Harpell
Ixy with Alyx Sosti
Batman4560 with Ryan Shimmerstar
Ghostwheel with ______________
O/O   Ideas

EroticFantasyAuthor

Any possibility of Changelings being added to the list of races? I know they are not normally a part of Forgotten Realms.

Florence

I've been seriously craving Forgotten Realms so count me as interested!

I might be a bit rusty, though. I'm so used to Pathfinder, so DnD 3.5 might take some getting used to.

Is half-drow a possibility? (since its sort of a sub-race of half-elf)

If not, I've got other ideas.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Nicolae

I'd rather leave changelings and half-drow out for now. They wouldn't be common on the surface, and a half-drow may not have a great time on the streets of Waterdeep. When the City Watch are considering people to call on for help, their prejudice may prevent them from calling on a half-drow regardless of his or her skills.

@Finn: What other ideas are you considering?
O/O   Ideas

Phaia

i have been doing pathfinder for a while now so have to go review my 3.5 stuff

i always have  had a soft spot for D&D

hmmmm
*wisps of smoke raise from her blonde head as she ponders*

phaia

Florence

Well, my initial idea was my half-drow bard Meredith, who's a long-running character of mine who I originally made for a Neverwinter Nights 2 server, but apart from that, I had  few other ideas bouncing around in my head.

I was thinking... a human female paladin, but given that undead are going to be a major enemy, paladin seems like the obvious easy route.

I've never made a druid before and have been craving that, so maybe a female elven druid?

I could also use my exiled kunoichi xD Another character I made for that NWN2 server, a female ninja (classwise, she could simply be a rogue) from the Kara-Tur nation of Wa.

I've been toying around with the idea for a human barbarian... but for some reason I always seem to wind up playing a woman. xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Nicolae

@Finn: I like the idea of the human female paladin, absolutely, although the druid and ninja (Complete Adventurer is fine) are good ideas too. The paladin would be able to deal with the undead more effectively than the others, certainly, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do as far as character development, whichever idea you use.

@Phaia: If you have any ideas you'd like to bounce off me, I'd love to hear them.
O/O   Ideas

Countdown0

Soooooooooooooo in for this.

I'm gonna start working on a character right naow! :D
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Phaia

calrond let me review things and its late here for me

but if no one ekse plays a paladin i have an idea for one...one that had fallen far [drained of many levels during the time of troubles] but has begun to reemerge again

phaia

Florence

Quote from: Phaia on October 20, 2013, 12:46:07 AM
calrond let me review things and its late here for me

but if no one ekse plays a paladin i have an idea for one...one that had fallen far [drained of many levels during the time of troubles] but has begun to reemerge again

phaia

If you'd like to be a Paladin, I'll go with my druid or ninja ideas :>

EroticFantasyAuthor

Would it be okay if I submitted a changeling character for approval rather than just approving the race as a whole? It is a character I've created for another campaign but sadly never had a chance to play.

Nicolae

@Phaia: By all means, review as much as you like. There's no hurry in getting this started, and I'd rather take time up front to make excellent, fascinating characters that keep all of us (including me) coming back for more and keeping the creative juices flowing than rush into the campaign and risk some of us getting burned out. Interesting idea for a paladin, by the way! A redeemed, formerly-fallen paladin? Very interesting! I can imagine that he or she would be a little more merciful and less harsh than before, having known forgiveness. Or maybe to continue in the good graces of his or her deity, he or she is a firebrand and martinet, even more passionate and harsher than before!

@EroticFantasyAuthor: That would be fine.

@Countdown: Any ideas you want to bounce off me?
O/O   Ideas

Orange Marmalade

I haven't done a full on game in a play by post setting before. Is combat handled round by round? How do you keep a battle from taking months in a setting like this?

I'm pretty interested but wary of my muse dying off in die rolls in a PBP game :)

EroticFantasyAuthor

Thank you!  ;)

Sim Keen-Ear

Sim's Favored Form (Voluptuous Nudes, NSFW)

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Sim grew up in the city of Waterdeep, daughter to a rather successful pair of private investigators. Her mother is a wizard of considerable skill, favoring divination, illusion and transmutation spells. While her father is a charming rogue who uses his natural charisma and dexterity to great effect. They're known simply as the Keen-Ears, information and secrets are their business. As a child, she was their eager assistant, sent on safe and easy errands at first. However as she grew older, she began begging them to allow her to tackle more difficult tasks.

When she wasn't assisting her parents with investigations, she was training with them, playing with other children or experimenting by herself. Her father was quick to begin teaching her the roguish skills that had served him so well, he found that she had a natural talent for most of them and was a quick study. At an early age, she was fascinated by the magic her mother wielded with such skill. Her mother did everything she could to encourage this interest, bit by bit teaching her daughter more and more about the arcane. When asked whether she wanted to be a rogue or a wizard, it wasn't really a surprise when she responded with "Why not both?" Her parents embraced this idea, her father continuing her rogue training, ensuring a solid foundation for her wizardly skills to be built upon. Once that foundation was complete, her mother began her wizardly training in earnest.

As a child she always leaned more towards female forms, she found them easier to adopt, more enjoyable to play, and they just felt more natural to her. However, male forms were always a fun challenge. It seemed her body could not decide on a gender, manifesting a bit late in adolescence as female. Her parents each had a favored form, and so would she. Her father preferred a tall handsome human male with black hair light facial hair, and warm brown eyes. Her mother favored the form of a curvaceous elven female with long dark red hair that appeared almost black in certain lighting, accompanied by deep golden eyes.

Her own favored form developed over time, evolving into her opinion of perfection. She blended aspects from her parents' formed forms, choosing half-elf as the race. Her eyes were the same as her mother's an intense golden, but with a hint of warm brown flecks to honor her father. Her hair was a mixture, the first half of each strand was black, while the second half ended in dark red. She decided to stand an inch taller than her mother, but two inches shorter than her father. Just like her mother's, her form is curvaceous and voluptuous.

Their favored forms are used at home, around the office, and when meeting clients. Her parents have mostly retired from the adventurous side of the private investigating business. So she usually works solo on cases. Not that she minds, as they almost always prove to be fun challenges. She definitely enjoys the work, some cases may be similar, they're never the same.

She is a becomer, like both of her parents. Always experimenting with new faces, new personas. She has a thirst for adventure, enjoys a good challenge and is a bit addicted to the adrenaline rush from the more risky parts of her job. She is more of a lover rather than a fighter and always attempts to avoid violence. But that doesn't mean she is a coward, or unskilled with a weapon, she can hold her own in a fight if need be. When not working, she is often found indulging in the many pleasures life has to offer, from good food to good entertainment. Carnal delights are easily her favorite pleasure, and her favorite way of getting information.

Batman4560

Nicolae

@Finn: If you want to play a paladin, I'd be more than happy to have two paladins in the same party, even serving the same deity.

@Orange Marmalade: That's a very good question. I expect this game to be more roleplaying-oriented than combat-oriented, but when combat arises I'll handle it by setting a time limit for each round. I've seen some DMs on PbPs give 24 hours for players to post their actions for a round, and if anyone hasn't posted by then they lose their actions or get NPC'd.

@Batman: Absolutely!
O/O   Ideas

Batman4560

Nicolae

@EroticFantasyAuthor: I like your character idea, honestly. I'll approve the use of the changeling for your case only (I don't want a party of Changelings), and we should switch the fine-tuning of the character over to PMs. Send me an updated sheet when you make it, and I'll be happy to give you the big thumbs up after we hash things out some more.

@Batman: Post it here first. I'll give you instructions/criticism after that.
O/O   Ideas

Nicolae

By the way, I want to emphasize that along with quality characters, I want quality writing. By that I mean not only writing that is easy to read and free from excessive spelling errors (web browsers have spell-checkers now that let you know when something is spelled wrong) and grammatical errors, but posts that are a solid paragraph or two in length at minimum. There are exceptions where shorter posts could be made, such as in dialog, but those are the exception and not the rule. Let's make this something that we all enjoy and love enough to keep coming back.
O/O   Ideas

Florence

I'll do what I can with post length, but I like to think even my shorter posts are still a good read :>

Also, I'm not partial to any one of those ideas, if we have another paladin, I'm more than happy to go with my druid or ninja. Or maybe even a mage... we'll see what I come up with.

I might try playing a bit more of a... milfy character xD I don't know why but I've got one of two urges for a character... and that's either to play an older woman (30's-40's in human years) or to play a younger girl who's into older chicks xD there's a battle into my mind as to which idea I wanna go for more.

Nicolae

@Finn: Sounds good to me! Let me know which direction you want to take with it when you figure it out. :D
O/O   Ideas

Florence

Would it make sense for a druid to perhaps sign up with all this to help right some unbalance in the natural order?

Nicolae

@Finn: Absolutely. Think of Elanee in Neverwinter Nights 2. If she's well-known to one of the higher-ranking guards (maybe a former traveling companion?), then he'd seek her out. Otherwise, she could volunteer her services to restore the natural order, which she would sense becoming out of whack.
O/O   Ideas

Countdown0

Alrighty, here is a character sheet: http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=12930

Read on if you dare! Muhahahaha.... nah, just read on:

"Voloke"
Voloke was born in a small town in the North named Bellside. The name came from the old metalworking shop whose owner was particularly skilled at crafting large bells that bigger towns would use. The town is on the edge of Lurkwood Forest, far enough away forom any major cities that it needs to still have its own militia to protect it from orc or goblin raids. Unfortunately, fourteen years ago, one such raid, a very large one, swept into town, led by an orc chief called Dudremk, and wiped out all of the men of the town. Children, Voloke among them, were taken as prisoners, to be used as slaves for Dudremk. The women suffered worse fates, which the young girls who were taken would inevitably share. Voloke was trapped with the life of a slave for three years before Dudremk and his orcs abandoned their rather large encampment when a battalion of soldiers from Neverwinter came along to kick down to door to avenge the death of the son of a prominent Neverwinter nobleman. Voloke, like the other child slaves, was taken back to Neverwinter and, like most orphans, taken into the care of one temple or another.

It was the priesthood of Tyr in Neverwinter that took in Voloke, and they had planned on raising him as a priest. However, Voloke, upon coming of age, joined the Grey Cloaks of Neverwinter briefly. Years of being in forced slavery, followed by even more years of cleaning and helping the priests in the temple. It wasn't that Voloke disliked anything about the priesthood of Tyr, so much as he felt that the life of a Priest wasn't for him. Three years of being a slave to the bastard that had murdered his family had instilled in Voloke a thirst for revenge that still to this day has not been satisfied. He has vowed that one day, he will find Dudremk and end him. Voloke had hoped that the Grey Cloaks would make an effort to do just that, but Dudremk is still at large in the North, his small army of orcs pillaging, raping, murdering, plundering, and sacking small towns whenever the chance arises.

Voloke left the Grey Cloaks after a little more than a year. He has been acting as a mercenary since then, and jumps at the opportunity to take any job that involves dealing with orcs, always hoping that it will lead him to Dudremk, so that he can finally take revenge.

When he's not doing mercenary work, Voloke usually likes to spend time alone. He does enjoy arts, and likes to listen to bards play and sing, or even see a performance at a theatre. He has no natural talent for such things himself, but he loves to experience it anyway. While Voloke certainly does enjoy fighting his enemies, to an extent at least, he doesn't go into taverns to start brawls or anything of the sort. He would prefer to be left alone to his ale. He's been told that he has a nice smile and might even be handsome, but Voloke doesn't, by his own estimation at least, smile often enough to tell.

He's more selective than most mercenaries, never wanting to take jobs that involve theft or outright assassination, though there's always someone willing to pay for a caravan guard or to have a band of goblins run back into the mountains and away from more civilized lands.

Voloke's last job, escorting a rather wealthy merchant named Reldmin from Luskan south to Waterdeep, has just been finished, and he's looking for work elsewhere.

I hope he fits :D
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's