An Intro to Pathfinding (Tick and TK)

Started by Blue Leah, April 16, 2011, 11:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Leah

OOC

Real quick plot point: The "Broken Shield" that I reference in this post is a holy artifact belonging to a dead god, who was famed as the first god of Mankind and also one of only two mortals to ascend to godhood unaided.The god's name is Aroden, and while most of his followers now turn to Iomedae, his strength and importance are both remembered and highly valued by many.

Now, when the masters told you that the man who'd stolen the Broken Shield from your temple had delusions of grandeur, you had thought that he simply fancied himself to be slightly more important than he actually is. However, standing outside of a cave that has been magically sculpted to look like a skull, complete with glowing red eyes, you're not entirely sure what the man thinks he is. Still, it's hard to complain when someone practically sets an "I'M HEEEERE!!" sign up for you... makes the process of tracking a lot easier.

From your vantage point, hidden in a copse of trees on a nearby hill, you can see two possible modes of entry into the man's dungeon. Obviously, the gaping maw of the skull is an option... but that route is guarded by two goblins, clad in mismatched armor and scanning the area lazily. Or, from what you can see, you might be able to loop behind the hill and sneak into a nearby strand of woods, which leads almost directly to the skull, and try to jump from a branch into one of the eyes....

Tick

As Nevar approaches the skull he rolled his eyes at the exaggerated entrance. Taking the time to look around noticed the two options, knowing full well that this could easily get him killed choosing the wrong one. But he wasn't a thief or an assassin, his ability to sneak around was limited and he was more likely to make noise and get himself in deeper trouble by trying to take a exaggerated route. And he didn't like the odds of doing a jump kick from a tree limb. He would be done if he broke his foot. He almost wished he had worn a shirt, at least then he could have thrown it at one of the goblins to blind them for a second, but he would just have to take another option.

He knelt down to get a better look at his two opponents, almost happy he got the chance to remove them rather then work around, he didn't like the idea of leaving anyone who violated a temple he was trying to protect alive. Taking a look around he tried to find a good pathway to sneak up behind one of them and get a good strike in before they noticed him, at least then if he was caught midway he would be on solid ground.

Blue Leah

The same tree line that would have allowed you to attempt to climb into the skull will provide you with cover to flank the goblins. It looks deep enough and dense enough that you should be able to remain hidden until you are near enough to strike.

Tick

The Monk tries to sneak up to the waiting guards through the brush, doing his best to move quietly until in range. Not wanting to rush it and make any mistakes, he carefully moves to flank the two goblins.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Take 20 on stealth role

Blue Leah

You move slowly, being extra-careful to mask your approach as you near the entrance of the cave. Luckily, your effort pays off, and soon enough you are crouched just a few yards away from one of the guards, completely covered in the brush.

Now that you're closer, you get a good look at the goblins. Nasty creatures, really... their heads are squashed, and seem to be about 80% mouth, and their clothes are dingy and dirty. They seem to be carrying spears made from discarded scrap metal, and their leather armor looks like it came from a child's ball. Still, they seem to be capable enough, and they scan their surroundings confidently.

OOC
Think the movie Gremlins, with spears and armor. :P

Tick

Nevar slips  behind the nearest one to him as silently as possible, bringing one arm back brings down his elbow towards the goblins head, quickly followed by a knee to his side.

OOC
I assume this is just suppose to be letting me get used to teh game so I am not putting a whole lot of detail, also, never seen Gremlins.

Alright, he has Flurry of blows so I get two attacks right? +2 to hit from strength and -1 for flurry of blows? so a modifier of +1 right?

I got d20+1 as what I thought I was rolling for each blow.

and I got a 14 and 18

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2985841/

And for damage its 1d4 per because of unarmed strike so

3 and 4
http://www.dndsheets.net/sheet.php

Blue Leah

Unfortunately, your elbow's arc isn't quite timed right, and your arm pivots backwards and connects only with the air. Your knee, though, strikes true, and the creature cries out in pain as your strike connects.

Snarling, the creature turns on you and brandishes his spear, thrusting wildly. For a second, his wild thrust looks like it will connect... and then your arm snaps up to block, and the rotted wood that makes up his spear's shaft snaps in two, leaving him unarmed. ((The monster rolled a natural 1 on his attack, which is considered a catastrophic / critical failure.))

His companion wastes no time, though, and charges in with his spear waving wildly. Luckily for you, though, his fear and surprise at seeing you come charging from the trees seems to have made his attacks more wild than effective, and his strike hits only air.

Tick

Taking another chance, the monk aims an open palm strike at the goblins torso and follows it up with a kick.

Blue Leah

This time, the goblin is better prepared for your assault, and dances away from your combo, cackling madly. Rather than discarding his broken spear, he charges in again, working in tandem with his companion in attempt to stab you with the jagged spike of wood. He's not too prepared for the loss of reach, though, and his first stab falls well short of where he thought it would.

His companion continues to thrust wildly at you with his spear, and this time one of his frenzied jabs connects. Pain shoots through you as the jagged scrap of metal scores a shallow gash beneath your ribs (-2 HP).

Tick

As the spear pierces his side Nevar, winces and does his best to slap the weapon away from him as he gets ready for a third combination. Taking one step back with a growl, Nevar does a hard spin kick to the first goblin again, followed by a second kick with a quick heel kick.

OOC

16 and 8(forgot to apply the +1 to hit in the roll so I did it manually.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2987238/

4 and 2 for damage
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2987242/

Blue Leah

You hear a grinding crunch as your kick snaps the goblin's neck, and he crumples to the ground in front of you. One down...

And one to go, as the surviving goblin lunges in, and drives the point of his spear into your thigh. The wound isn't very deep, but another lancet of pain shoots through you, and the goblin's grin is pure bloodlust as he pulls his scrap-metal blade free of your skin (-1 HP).

Tick

Nevar was about to smile at the sight of his goblin friend falling when he had the delight of being shanked again. The monk was beginning to get annoyed with the constant poking, taking a step forward drove his elbow upwards to the goblins neck quickly followed by a knee towards the chest.

Blue Leah

The goblin is frantic as he attempts to parry your strikes, but he does manage to keep you at bay for the moment. For a split second, you leave an opening... and the jagged scrap metal flashes out again, scoring a shallow hit across your stomach (-1 HP).

Tick

This was starting to get humliating. A goblin was doing a better job kicking his ass then he was doing with it. With a mutter as he pushed his hand against the wound in his stomach, trying to tell how deep it was, he released a spin kick at the goblins side before bringing his elbow down towards the goblin's head.

OOC

I like how goblins have better accuracy then me <.<

7 and 16
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2987349/

4 and 3
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2987351/

Blue Leah

OOC
You trade accuracy for an extra attack per round, but it's mostly just bad luck right now. It gets better as you move forward.

The goblin manages to duck your kick, and straightens up with a taunting grin... only to have your elbow bury itself in his head, sending the little bugger reeling. Cursing at you in his guttural language, the little creature jabs his spear at your stomach, only to have it stopped by a textbook block on your part.

Tick

With a small smirk as he stops the attack upon him to counter with a uppercut then a punch to the chest.

Blue Leah

Again, the goblin frantically parries, and lunges in for a counterattack... and then he, too, finds himself struck with disaster. A well timed block from you sends him tumbling backward, and his weapon goes skittering away across the ground... (natural 1).

Tick

Taking a moment to revel in the sight of his opponent disarmed, he took a step forward and treated the goblin to an axe kick and turn back kick, falling on his favoritism for kicks.

Blue Leah

Your combination effectively breaks the goblin beneath your feet, leaving you free to enter the dungeons unhindered. If you search the two guards, you find about 10 copper pieces between the two of them.

As you enter the dungeon, you notice that the strange red light from the skull's eyes seems to run along the ceiling, giving you plenty of light to work with. You follow the stone hallway for a bit... until you reach a fork in the path. The question for you now is left, or right?

Tick

The young monk was possibly too pleased with himself as the final goblin fell to his death. Picking up the gold he wasted no time beginning the raid of the skull. Moving through the hallway to the fork, with a roll of his eyes he tried looking down the hallways, listening for any signs of more goblins.
OOC
I really have bad luck
Perception Check = 12
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2989950/

Blue Leah

The hallways, it seems, are empty... you hear nothing, except your own breathing, and see nothing except cold stone, bathed in that strange red glow from the ceiling.

Tick

With little discussion or thought, he turned to the left and began walking forwards, pulling a cloth from his belt and tying it around his chest and stomach as best as possible to hold the wounds.

Blue Leah

The hallway twists and turns, but ends abruptly in a small round room. At first, the room seems empty... until you recognize a fragment of the Shield, floating in midair. A quick scan and listen reveals that you are, in fact, alone...

Tick

Takes one more quick look around before reaching up to grab the fragment if deemed safe.

Blue Leah

Again, your search of the area reveals nothing... you are completely alone. The only sound is a faint hum of power coming from the the air around the shield fragment.

So, deeming it safe, you walk up and reach out to reclaim the piece of shield. However, no sooner do your fingers touch it than you realize that something is wrong... there is a sensation of heat, and a feeling like a soundless thunderclap rolls through the room. Almost immediately, you hear a scraping, and a slam as the entrance to this room is walled off by a chunk of wall slamming inward. The piece of shield in your hand starts to vibrate, as well. Only slightly at first, but more and more insistent until you finally turn your attention to look... and are hit with a blast of searing white light.

OOC

Alright, could you give me a fortitude save vs. the light?