What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

Ah I see now.  I wasn't sure... the guy looked like a rather creepy stalker to me.   :P

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Wolfy

I like this one better, though:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Sabby

An interesting few days for my gaming...

Firstly, Witcher 2, for Xbox. Wasn't quite sure sure what to expect here. People get very personal with this one, and its either the most cinematic gaming experience in history or pretty and overrated bland grimdark. Other then that, I know nothing about it... Wasn't even sure how it played.

I haven't gotten far, but I seem to be falling in the middle. The graphics aren't THAT mind blowing... There's polish, but a lot of the character models are kind of jaggy. The combat is mixed as well. I LOVE the flow of attacks, very Arkham Asylum, but he doesn't always connect. Whether he closes a gap seems to be entirely up to chance, so there's a lot of times you end up standing in place vulnerable, not helped by the useless roll.

As for the grimdark setting... I'm not seeing it xD this doesn't seem like Dragon Age, with pointless racism and gore to show how DARK and GRITTY it is, it actually seems pretty conservative. Ill admit, I'm no historian, but the world see.s to suck authentically. Gotta give praise to Geralts design as well. Hooboy...

Next was X-Men Destiny. Uhm... Aside from the fact Xavier is killed off screen, and mentioned in passing as 'killed by a time travelling robot' (comics are hard enough to follow in one format -.-) the racism undertones are the complete opposite of Witcher 2. Its so forced its absurd.

Remember in First Class, Beast says 'you didn't ask, I didn't tell?' I saw Spoonys review before the movie, so I actually did yell SYMBOLISM in the cinema, but that's pretty damn subtle compared to this game.

So... The economy sucks, education is falling, natural disasters all over, and its all those dirty Muties fault! Yep, Mutants invented earthquakes, they're tekken er jewrbs, and they're making our kids gay! I even heard someone yell 'evolution is an evolutionary dead end'.... What? Are they trying at all?

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on April 25, 2012, 03:01:56 PM
An interesting few days for my gaming...

Firstly, Witcher 2, for Xbox. Wasn't quite sure sure what to expect here. People get very personal with this one, and its either the most cinematic gaming experience in history or pretty and overrated bland grimdark. Other then that, I know nothing about it... Wasn't even sure how it played.

I haven't gotten far, but I seem to be falling in the middle. The graphics aren't THAT mind blowing... There's polish, but a lot of the character models are kind of jaggy. The combat is mixed as well. I LOVE the flow of attacks, very Arkham Asylum, but he doesn't always connect. Whether he closes a gap seems to be entirely up to chance, so there's a lot of times you end up standing in place vulnerable, not helped by the useless roll.

As for the grimdark setting... I'm not seeing it xD this doesn't seem like Dragon Age, with pointless racism and gore to show how DARK and GRITTY it is, it actually seems pretty conservative. Ill admit, I'm no historian, but the world see.s to suck authentically. Gotta give praise to Geralts design as well. Hooboy...

Next was X-Men Destiny. Uhm... Aside from the fact Xavier is killed off screen, and mentioned in passing as 'killed by a time travelling robot' (comics are hard enough to follow in one format -.-) the racism undertones are the complete opposite of Witcher 2. Its so forced its absurd.

Remember in First Class, Beast says 'you didn't ask, I didn't tell?' I saw Spoonys review before the movie, so I actually did yell SYMBOLISM in the cinema, but that's pretty damn subtle compared to this game.

So... The economy sucks, education is falling, natural disasters all over, and its all those dirty Muties fault! Yep, Mutants invented earthquakes, they're tekken er jewrbs, and they're making our kids gay! I even heard someone yell 'evolution is an evolutionary dead end'.... What? Are they trying at all?

Well technically, Some Mutants can create earthquakes, some mutants ARE suited more for certain jobs than normal people (I mean, hello, someone who can control fire as a firefighter? Yes please.) and well..I'm sure there's a mutant that can change your sexuality..and probably your sex too.

Sooooo..it's not ENTIRELY unfounded..<_<>_>

Heaven Sent Blossom

I had high hopes for Destiny, which was my first mistake really when you consider that I had high hopes for Too Human as well and we all know how that turned out.
All in all it's probably at least better than Too Human if only because it doesn't fail to explain any complexity that it's combat system possesses. However on the hand the combat system has zero complexity, so there really wasn't anything to explain there.
Story was certainly an absolute travesty.

I just finished Prototype 2, I like the first one more for a lot of reasons but this is certainly an improved product. It's just that they removed a lot of the complexity that you can discover in Prototype if you're willing to dig for it.

I guess now I'm going to head back to Witcher 2 and handle business there without feeling like I have a pressing engagement punching Alex Mercer in the face.

Bayushi

Logged into WoW today on my Protection Paladin alt character.

Got invited to a semi-guild Dragon Soul 10-man raid.

Got the first boss down, but some of the PuG DPS were pretty apathetic towards their job, and we wiped a bunch on the next two bosses.

But I got some new bracers! Wheeee!

Brandon

Well I finally finished legend of Grimrock just a few minutes ago. It was interesting. I was never big into the old tile based dungeon crawling maps when I was a kid but this one had a charm to it. Its nice seeing some new or rather old variety coming back into gaming

Although I wish it had a kind of epilogue to tell us what happened after we defeated the thing in the dungeon. For the characters I can imagine their own escape and then lives afterwards but I do wonder what happens to the dungeon from that point. Does it keep getting used as an execution grounds? Does the thing at the bottom remain "dead"? Its just that the dungeon itself was a character so Im curious what happens to it now

So now, I think Im gonna download the newest patch for xenonauts and see what kind of things have changed for the game

Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Life in Color

Hemingway

Well, for a while, I've been playing SWTOR. I gave it up for a few months, then started again. I discovered something amazing: PvP in that game is actually enjoyable. Made no less enjoyable by the fact that I usually play with one of my friends, and often one or two other people we know. When our group makes up half the team, we cannot be stopped.

Inkidu

Playing the Witcher 2: AoK, EE. I had to start over because in the first game you could learn a formula and sell back the scroll to get a partial refund on the absurd prices they made you pay for them. In this game... you can't do that. You somehow lose the ability to make it even though the info is in Geralt's journal. Also, I sell it for four orens and they get 100+ orens on buyback. So, I took what I knew and made normal from the tutorial this time. Easy was too easy anyway.

Also, are the  Blue Strip coat and the mage's trouser's enhanced edition content because it seems really weird to start off a game with an epic piece of gear that's not taken away. :(
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on April 29, 2012, 09:43:05 AM
Also, are the  Blue Strip coat and the mage's trouser's enhanced edition content because it seems really weird to start off a game with an epic piece of gear that's not taken away. :(

Not Enhanced Edition, I don't think. I don't think they were in the game on release, though, leading me to suspect they were added in the update that added Dark Mode to the PC version. And, well, on Dark Mode, I'm quite happy to have them.

I should probably do some witcher's work again. I'd probably want to start over, though, and ... well, even the intro chapters are tough as nails on Dark Mode.

Brandon

Alright so Xenonaughts is still pretty buggy, which is to be expected for an alpha, but I like a lot of the changes. Some others seem odd (like having to research MiGs) but I can deal with it. Overall there isnt anything Im unhappy with as far as changes go.

So I went back to play some Tribes tonight and Im at that point where I can buy another class again. Last time I grabbed Doombringer because I needed a defensive class so I think this time Ill be picking up the raider. Generally if I need to take out base defenses I just mortar them with the jugg but I can see the raider being more useful for anti-vehicle combat since theyre a medium class and move faster. My only other choices would be sentinal and brute but thats either a sniper class (something Im really bad at) or a heavy version of the soldier. Neither sounds very appealing to me
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Inkidu

Actually, since a MiG is the term given to experimental Russian aircraft, research would make sense. Though, it is terran by design, so it doesn't exactly make sense in terms of an XCOM-like.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Brandon

Quote from: Inkidu on April 30, 2012, 07:01:06 AM
Actually, since a MiG is the term given to experimental Russian aircraft, research would make sense. Though, it is terran by design, so it doesn't exactly make sense in terms of an XCOM-like.

Well for thebackground it kind of makes sense. Its the 1980's and there's a lot of conflict between the US and Russia. We first learned about the aliens when a vessel entered the atmosphere and then we basicly nuked the ship out of the sky. Then we had ajoint ground operation that was a massive failure.

The xenonaughts were a joint NATO organization between the USA and USSR after the iceland incident (that I mention above). In 1979 the aliens came back and most countries were pretty much blackmailed into giving them money if they wanted the xenonaughts to save them from annihilation. Granted shortly before they returned the organization was cut down to its barest bones but I still find it odd that hey wouldnt have access to any kind of equipment from any country at the start of the game.

I understand why its there in game terms but its fits less well with the story is all

Sabby

Replaying Rage. I love jumping away from a Ghosts lunge and putting three pistol shots in his chest as he wheels around. He rolled right over the railings xD

Didn't use the Sentry Bot much the first time... Its pretty useful if your pinned down. It can scale cover, and if you strafe out and take them from two angles, they're usually pretty easy to flysh out and cut down.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Rage is such a good game mechanically, the shooting has glorious weight to it almost all of the time which is really nice. It's just a shame they screwed up the PC release so biblically.

Sabby

I hear that a lot... But I don't get it :/ is it just the texture pop in people whine about? Because the controls and performance are perfect

SinXAzgard21

Played FireFall beta a little today, finally they beefed up the creatures and they attack now so you cannot just run around like a crazy person shooting random crap... You can get your ass stomped on in a quick hurry if you don't know what you are doing.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Inkidu

I gave up on Rage, it's good and all, but it's not that good and it really shows how far behind the curve id has gotten.

Inkidu

I picked up Space Marine through rental. I have never thought something was so bad-ass and mercilessly laughed at it at the same time.

They're orcs, in space. Medieval, typical orcs IN SPACE! They have rocky little space ships! I can't make this up! XD

Geeklet

Sabby

All of WH40K can be summed up as such.

Hmmm... Not sure if stupidly awesome... Or just stupid.

Hemingway

I think it's both, generally. It's like Manowar. The band.

Inkidu

It's Absurdist science-fiction at its best I suppose.

Brandon

Im playing some Kingdoms of Amalur. I remember playing it for just an hour or so at a friends house when it first came out but I didnt touch it after that. So far, its pretty immersive and definitely written by RA Salvatore

Anyway, I made a Dokkalfar and focusing on persuasion, stealth, and daggers