Welcome to erato

Started by Vekseid, August 19, 2013, 10:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Erato is the name of the server. I decided to name the Chicago servers after goddesses related to the Greek muses. The slave server is named Mnemosyne. She remembers all that you post, and exchanges backups with the remote backup server (Skadi in Florida.

The AJAX Chat is open for business. This is entirely experimental - we'll see how well the server handles it.

I set the DNS cache to a rather large number for Elliquiy, because we use a premium DNS provider and they charge a fee per ten million queries - something we could in theory exhaust. Though I changed it to five minutes some hours ago, people are probably still stuck with the old IP address, and others have edited their hosts file to point to the old IP address.

In the former case, opening up a command prompt and (in Windows) running
ipconfig /flushdns
and restarting your browser may help.

In the latter case, you will need to set your hosts file to the new ip address:
208.117.11.90           elliquiy.com

On a related note (people editing the hosts file to get around dns-based censorship), depending on how AJAX chat handles things, I am wondering what people may think of globally forcing ssl on site-wide ( https://elliquiy.com ) - this ends up circumventing the vast majority of cases of censorship and snooping, and having a new IP address gives us a good opportunity to do this.

People will need to be sure they can get to the https version of the site, however.

Majere Dreavan

I love you, You're awesome. you should get a nice long hard rest.:D

desert ashes

Thank you so much, Vekseid! <3  (And so loving the Greek muses!)
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Kye

Yay! Thank you for all your hard work, Veks.

Falanor

shooter6806

Thanks, Veks.  You are appreciated more than you know. 
Youth, exuberance, and enthusiasm are no match for age, experience, and treachery.

Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms.  Should be a convenience store, not a federal agency.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Crash

Thanks Veks.  Great job!

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Ember Star

funky dunk! We're back! Thankies, Veks!
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Galactic Druid

Feels good to be back! Thanks for all your hard work Veks!
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

MolotovXsugaR

Thanks for all the hard work Vek! 

♥ It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything - Tyler Durden ♥

Leyarite

Good news everyone !  :P

The names of the servers are cool and well chosen. Thanks for the hard work Vekseid.

Cycle

Thank you, Veks!  That was an impressive piece of work.

Gavlois

We are all ever grateful for the server admin stuff you have to do Veks.
O/O

Serephino

It's good to finally have everything back.

Nico

AidenWhite

My Request Thread + info about me!
My O/O's ~ AidenWhite O/Os - UPDATED: 08/01/2024 (dd/mm/yyyy)
My availability for One on One's (Solos): Available! PM at your own risk.

ReijiTabibito

I'm kinda guessing full functionality is not up on the site, yet?  I'm posting this and I don't see any of the usual text modification options...plus, my normal links to the site are still bringing me to the Troll page...

ObscureObscenities

Thanks for all the hard work!

Observing Trifles

Thanks for all that you do, Vekseid.
|| the hunt ||

my, my, those eyes like fire;
i'm a winged insect, you're a funeral pyre.
come now, bite through these wires;
i'm a waking hell and the gods grow tired.

Josietta

That was quicker than expected!  Thanks for the hard work Veks! Should I send over the girls now or later? ;)

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Blitzy

Wooooooooo!

Thank you, Veks! I am sooo happy it is all back up! And that the shoutbox is back!
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Vekseid

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on August 19, 2013, 11:31:54 PM
I'm kinda guessing full functionality is not up on the site, yet?  I'm posting this and I don't see any of the usual text modification options...plus, my normal links to the site are still bringing me to the Troll page...

Everything should be working, but your browser could be in a 'half-doesn't-get it' state - try the DNS suggestions mentioned above.

BAMF

Yay! Thank you so much, Veks! You are awesome!

»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Hera

Hooray!

*sets down suitcases*  Looks good over here!

Thank you for all you do, and for spending all day getting things up and running.   

Ariel

*lols at the Time Warp gif above ^*

Vek, you need sleep. And rest. Now. Please. You've done so much. You more than deserve a break or five.
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Yukina

TheHangedOne

Woot!

Quote from: Ariel on August 19, 2013, 11:51:37 PM
*lols at the Time Warp gif above ^*

Vek, you need sleep. And rest. Now. Please. You've done so much. You more than deserve a break or five.
This.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

RedFangedWerehawk

You rock Vekseid! Thank you for all that you do for E, both in the spotlight and in the shadows!

*Busts out party top hat and monacle*

This joint is about to become quite smashing! Indeed!

ReijiTabibito

Weird.  Now everything works again.  I had originally deleted all of my links and bookmarks that were on Firefox to E, and then when the site came back up (HTTPS now, instead of HTTP), everything worked.  Then it all went wonky and threw me back to the troll page again.

Veks, how do I do this 'host file' thing?  For the record, I already did the IPconfig thing.  Closed the browser, ran the DNS flush, and then restarted my machine...

Nessy

Thank you Veks. Looks great.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

MabFaerie

Thanks Veks! You're awesome~
The mind is it's own place; and can make a heaven of hell; and a hell of heaven.

Damnedangel

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum - If You Seek Peace Prepare For War.
We all have multiple personalities. The Average is three, but some people have more.
There's the face you wear for your friends and family, the one you let the outside world see.
Then there's the face you see everytime you look in the mirror.

Sarena

Thank you, Veks!

On a side note, I was getting the troll page myself (after getting to read the first page of this thread) and panicked because I didn't know how to do the ipconfig and DNS thingys.  I use Google Chrome, so after sending out a tweet to Veks for assistance, I went through and deleted my browser's history, cookies and cache.  That seemed to have done the trick.  So far, at least. *grins*
I can go from southern belle to ghetto thug faster than you can say "Bless your heart".

ornito

Veks, many thanks. You're awesome and deserve every bit of appreciation!
BACK AFTER A VERY LONG ABSENCE
-------------------------------------------------------
I am back to E but very slowly after being absent since Aug.29 2017. Forgive me if I take time to reach you out again, dear writing partners. Send me a message if you feel like writing something and lets talk about it for sure.  (Dated Dec 23 2018)
-------------------------------------------------------
MY ONS|OFFS
https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=38257

Lady Aura

Thank you for the ipconfig thing that you put up on that warning troll. without it, I think I might be lost to E forever!

That would never be good.

Thanks Veks!!

Current RP Status: Not taking any more RP's

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Sarena on August 20, 2013, 01:03:44 AM
Thank you, Veks!

On a side note, I was getting the troll page myself (after getting to read the first page of this thread) and panicked because I didn't know how to do the ipconfig and DNS thingys.  I use Google Chrome, so after sending out a tweet to Veks for assistance, I went through and deleted my browser's history, cookies and cache.  That seemed to have done the trick.  So far, at least. *grins*

Yeah, seems like the switchover is forcing a lot of folks to do more than one thing.  I cleared the DNS cache, my E cookies, and reset the host file thanks to the Windows FixIt article provided, and that seems to be working.  I could never delete my browser history, though.  I use it for way too much.

NicciKotor

Now my evil plans for world domination through the use of Canadian Ninjas can commence once more! MUYWHAHAHAAAA!
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

rahatngt

Rather insightful name I must say.
And congratulations on the successful migration :)

Zelric Miras

Thanks Veks. I like the names ^^

I usually feel better with the ssl in place X D

AurelieCatena

Well done! And congratulation for the geeky server names.

LunarSage

....aaaaand the move is complete.

This house is cleansed.

;D

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Stella

Lionura7

Raziel

Kendra

Came back from vacation and yesterday was my first chance to pop on E, so you can imagine the wee heart attack I had at coming face to face with the troll on my phone. lol
Had the utmost faith in you of course Veks and knew I wasn't due to actually get back on to E until today at any rate, so I totally didn't panic ;)

You did a fantastic job with the move, or the moves in fact.
You're awesome and thank you, for absolutely everything that you do.

Loving the server names by the way.

<3

jouzinka

Thanks for guiding us safely to this new safe haven, Veks. :-* You're our hero (well, you've been for some time already). :-)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Peripherie

I was hunkered down waiting for days of downtime and then it took you less than one day!?! Amazing! Thank you so much Veks!
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

Formless

Excellent work Vekseid.

Nothing I can say will measure up to the effort you put in.

But thank you very much.

PrettyxPoisonxApple

I'm just going to add to the wall of thank yous. But make mine purple!

Thank you ever so much Vek!

AngelicFaith

How do I know if everything went alright for me? With the IP changes and all? I don't know a thing about IT...

And the new server name... do we see it somewhere?

Told you... I don't know a thing about IT stuff... So I'm most likely asking dumb questions right now...

Interested in writing with me? Check my Ons and Offs and Request thread (Or my special  Werewolf/ Shifter request thread here)

Apologies and Absences: Update 03-10

Come and enter The Breeding House of Vinicus. We ensure the fulfillment of all your breeding wishes

Wolf O Donnel

three cheers for Vekseid's successful movement of Elliquiy
HIP HIP, HOORAY
HIP HIP, HOORAY
HIP HIP, HOORAY

Psi

Quote from: AngelicFaith on August 20, 2013, 04:45:53 AM
How do I know if everything went alright for me? With the IP changes and all? I don't know a thing about IT...

And the new server name... do we see it somewhere?

Told you... I don't know a thing about IT stuff... So I'm most likely asking dumb questions right now...

If your here, your posting, and everything seems to be ok, then don't worry :)

Haibane

Thank you Veks!

BTW, please let us know when the https: version is working as that is the only one I can access at work.

Psi

Quote from: Haibane on August 20, 2013, 05:52:28 AM

Thank you Veks!

BTW, please let us know when the https: version is working as that is the only one I can access at work.

* Psi gives Hai a hug..

It is working, I am using it at the moment.

I think what Vek's was talking about was enforcing https:// rather than letting us choose http:// or https://
Most likely via a redirect from http:// to https://

despickable

Thank you, Veks! You are a force of nature to be reckoned with. All looks great and your work is really appreciated

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=133839.0]
[/url][/url]Despickable's Ons and Offs

Dovel

Everything seems to be running great. Pages opening quickly.

Thank you Veks!
Now we live, tomorrow not
Enjoy your pleasures, lest they rot
Let not them pass this very day
For on the morrow regret may with you stay

pleaseteaseme

Awesome!

Thanks for all your hard work and efforts.  :-)

Dez

*does a happy dance*

Thank you, Veks!!!!

YOU are awesome!!!!!

Napanee

Thanks for all your stellar efforts Veks. I hope you read all these messages in a day or so after a monster sleep !

N

Kuroneko

*slow clap*

Thanks Veks!  I can't believe you got it all done in a day.  You're amazing!
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Wolfie

Yeah, great job and all the related. Somebody give Veks a cookie! Woof!

elvenslave

What you did  is amazing, Veks, thanks a lot for all the effort! (Plus you made me learn a new thing about my computer: updating the hosts file! ;) )
O/O & F-list       My ideas
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
~Gandalf~
David ~Your pseudonym here~: “They’re right about you. You’re a bloody psychopath.”
Sherlock ~Me~: “High functioning sociopath. With your number.”

Athena

I can't get over how lightning-quickly the pages load! Thank you so much for all your hard work! :D
Things you should know before diving in (O&Os + Kink List)

Be the change you wish to see.

ambrosial

Thanks for all your hard work, Veks!

It's highly, highly appreciated.  :-)
We'll make the honeysuckle jealous.

Ambrosial's Wine Tasting - Original and Fandom Plots (Updated May 2014)
Ons and Offs and Current RP - Updated Sept. 12, 2014
Avatars- For a visual sampler (Updated June 2, 2013!)
Absences - Semi-Absent Through 01/20/15. Please read!

yobo

Great job, Vekseid. :-)

PreciousPetra

Thank you for moving everything swiftly. If it had been left to me there would be many boxes missing!

Good to be back and able to post, read and enjoy E again.

*Blows a kiss from England*

MomoPeach

Vekseid you're amazing! Keep up your amazing work.

Vampdrake19

Good to be back on E.  My hat's off to you, Vek.
Unavailable for New Threads.  See links below if interested.  RP on Forums ONLY.
Bloodscale Manor (Updated with O/O's and Character Pods)
Thread Parlor
Times Away (A/A's)
Fair warning to those who are partners with me, recently or previously: posts will come slow, so patience is required.  Also: I don't reply to E-mails and I don't do Discord.  PMs are for discussions only.

Adamska James

We're just so darn lucky to have such a hard working Master coming home to us!
Elliquiy is most assuredly in good hands with Veks :D
Capable, strong hands... Mmmm.
That demon in the mirror is you. Make a deal, let it in, and you become more whole than you ever imagined possible. Evil is only a point of view, after all.

BCdan

~I enjoy random PM's~

AmberStarfire

You did a great job, Vekseid. It's good to be back too. I noticed some weirdness in the formatting when I tried out https this morning, but it's showing up the same as the regular site now.

Madriv

Great news and great work! Thank you Veks!!

realisticwordweaver

I tried the commands, but search still not working for me.

Is this the same for everyone?

Good job by the way.

Reno

Thanks for all the hard work, Veks. I know what kind of a PITA moves like this can be! Go ahead and take some recovery, and have a drink on me! :)

Madriv

Quote from: Vekseid on August 19, 2013, 10:43:07 PMI set the DNS cache to a rather large number for Elliquiy, because we use a premium DNS provider and they charge a fee per ten million queries - something we could in theory exhaust. Though I changed it to five minutes some hours ago, people are probably still stuck with the old IP address, and others have edited their hosts file to point to the old IP address.

Could this have anything to do with the people on phones timing out, even after they reset?

Reno

Quote from: Madmartigan on August 20, 2013, 12:17:09 PM
Quote from: Vekseid on August 19, 2013, 10:43:07 PMI set the DNS cache to a rather large number for Elliquiy, because we use a premium DNS provider and they charge a fee per ten million queries - something we could in theory exhaust. Though I changed it to five minutes some hours ago, people are probably still stuck with the old IP address, and others have edited their hosts file to point to the old IP address.

Could this have anything to do with the people on phones timing out, even after they reset?

That could be a big part of it, if the "rather large number" hasn't elapsed yet. Resetting the phone before the DNS server refreshes likely won't help, since the phone is going to be asking the same DNS server as it was before the reset, which will probably (depending on it's configuration) give the same answer until the lifetime elapses and the phone carrier's DNS server asks E's DNS server for the address again, at which point it will get the new answer.

Whether or not you can change the DNS server on a phone is probably phone/carrier dependent (Google's open DNS servers at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are returning the new addresses, apparently, judging by the fact that I'm able to get here. :)). If it's a smartphone, you might also be able to get on by connecting to wifi instead of over 3/4G. Might have the same problem if the wifi network's DNS server is still using the old cache, but that's probably easier to change than the one on the phone.

I hope that helps.

Blythe

I'm kind of curious--is the hosts file fix for us PC users something phone users can do as well?

Reno

Quote from: Blythe on August 20, 2013, 01:09:46 PM
I'm kind of curious--is the hosts file fix for us PC users something phone users can do as well?

Depends on the phone, and how much of a power-user you are. I know for a fact that you can do it on a rooted Android phone, for example.

Theta Sigma

Took some time, but I'm back, on my laptop at least. Thanks for all the hard work put in, Veks! This place feels nice and speedy.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Kanrya

Way to go Veks! way rocking! glad to be back and playing!

EverUndine

Thanks for all your hard work!! You deserve a drink!

TheDarkMiko

Awesome!! Thanks for everything!
[tr][td]
TDM's O/O's [/td]
[td]TDM's A/A's[/td]
[/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]

Indyo

Thanks Veks! The effort is felt all around :)
<3
~But girl I can't feel my face, what am I smoking anyway?
She says don't let the high go to waste,
Can you taste?
A little taste?~

You love it, really.M.M

Ephiral

I've been seeing a fair number of reports of issues after flushing - in fact, I had the same issue and I don't have a cache - so, if you see this, Veks, it might be helpful to note on the troll page that your DNS servers will have to get the new IP as well. Google Public DNS seems to be fine, but the servers I'm on still haven't updated, and the mobile phone thing seems to be pretty widespread.

RedEve

Thanks for the hard work Veks!

BTW, is it at all possible that I have a noticeable increase in my page-loading speeds?  :-)
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Kendra

I flushed my dns cache today because all I got was troll ;) but still nothing, wiped history of Firefox clean just in case but still nothing so then shut down and reboot the computer entirely but still nothing.
It was only an hour later that the new site came up for me.

I tried popping back in again just a while ago and Firefox brought me right back to the Troll again, so I did every thing as before, flushed, clear todays history, rebooted computer but again nothing.
So I started up Opera and voile, there was the new site. I took the http address from there and posted it into Firefox and it works grand now but am just hoping that I won't get Troll features ... cute as they are when I log in again tomorrow.  :-\

already told you what a great job you did Veks ;)

Frost

Thank you Vekseid for all your hard work!! I bet you must be frazzled after that major job!!

Vekseid

Quote from: Blythe on August 20, 2013, 01:09:46 PM

Every OS with Internet capability has something like a hosts file somewhere. Just a matter of whether you can access it.

Quote from: RedEve on August 20, 2013, 02:47:18 PM
Thanks for the hard work Veks!

BTW, is it at all possible that I have a noticeable increase in my page-loading speeds?  :-)

You should. Old host had crazy amounts of dropped packets and the new server is much more powerful (2x ssds for database, 32 gigs of ram versus 12, the processor is twice as fast, etc.)

TexasWarren

Glad the transition went well. So much can go wrong with them. Looking forward to a smooth experience here.

TexasDM
Current Muse Score (0 - 10): 8.5
I am A Dark Writer!

Formless

Quote from: Kendra on August 20, 2013, 03:43:26 PM
I flushed my dns cache today because all I got was troll ;) but still nothing, wiped history of Firefox clean just in case but still nothing so then shut down and reboot the computer entirely but still nothing.
It was only an hour later that the new site came up for me.

I tried popping back in again just a while ago and Firefox brought me right back to the Troll again, so I did every thing as before, flushed, clear todays history, rebooted computer but again nothing.
So I started up Opera and voile, there was the new site. I took the http address from there and posted it into Firefox and it works grand now but am just hoping that I won't get Troll features ... cute as they are when I log in again tomorrow.  :-\

already told you what a great job you did Veks ;)

I got the same but I have no idea what i did and it worked fine. I figured if I accepted the troll's dinner invite he'd leave me be. ::)

No seriously all I did was use the HTTPS address name ...

The Lioness

Way to go Veks! Now that I have my chromebook up to speed again, I can already feel a difference!

Have a cupcake for your hard work!

♥ Poems ♥ Story Ideas ( Updated 3/20/24) ♥ Ons/Offs ♥ F-List♥ A/A (Updated 1/23/2024)♥ Art ♥ My Kingdom ♥

♥Posts owed: 1/1 ♥ Posts completed: 0/1 ♥ Pending: 0 ♥
♥Status: Open ♥

ThePrince

Hello Erato, nice to meet you!

Its polite to acknowledge a person when they greet you.

Well then, maybe you'll be polite to my bat!

Seriously, thank you Vekseid.
RP Request Thread
O/O's
I am what I am. I am my own special creation.
So come take a look, Give me the hook or the ovation.
It's my world that I want to have a little pride in.
It's my world and it's not a place I have to hide in.
Life ain't worth a dam till you can say I am what I am.

RedPhoenix

Oh Veks, I can't properly express my gratitude while maintaining a PG rating. If I ever have some $ to spare I will donate again. :)
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

MadPanda

(opens door, looks around, nods solemnly)

"This must be the place!"  (turns to yell over shoulder)  "Okay, chibi, back it on up."

(dodges as his Inner Child backs a dump truck full of the usual baggage, random dungeon furnishings, and mad science gear out onto the floor)

"Moving Day is always a trial!  Okay, chibi, now go take this six pack of bamboo biscotti and double-shot hazelnut mochas to Vekseid, stat, while your big sis and I get all this junk sorted out and set up again.  There's a good boy."

;D
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Violetstiele

Many thank yous from me too! :D

TheShii

It took me a day an a half, even after doing everything listed for the browser to stop giving me the troll site, but all things considered, even with my brief withdrawal period, everything went smoothly in the speed things were transferred.

Great work on getting anything through!

My Anti-AA's, My Randy OO's

Commission Me
"All your boners are belong to me >w>" ~Dim Hon

Mithlomwen

Thank you so much Veks.  There aren't enough words for gratitude.  You are awesome. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Avis habilis

Heroic work, Veks. Thank you!

Chrystal

Many thanks, Veks.

My only gripe is that you did it on a Monday, which is my day off work and thus the day I do most of my posting. Everyone is now getting at me to reply to their posts.... *sigh* They'll just have to wait a few more days!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Moraline

Quote from: Vekseid on August 19, 2013, 10:43:07 PM
On a related note (people editing the hosts file to get around dns-based censorship), depending on how AJAX chat handles things, I am wondering what people may think of globally forcing ssl on site-wide ( https://elliquiy.com ) - this ends up circumventing the vast majority of cases of censorship and snooping, and having a new IP address gives us a good opportunity to do this.

People will need to be sure they can get to the https version of the site, however.
I've been using HTTPS version of the site and all good.

Except one thing - I can't see embedded YouTube videos.

What I get with https on is a gap where the video would be and I get the hyper link that's normally located under the video.

I turn off https and I can see the videos again.

I'm using:  Firefox 23.0.1

rustytiger

Thank you Veks! I'm so happy everything is back up and working great so far on my end.
I'm slowly coming back after years long hiatus. Still going through all the new rules and updates so I'm sorry if I mess up.

Ons & Offs
Absences
Idea Thread

Athos

Thanks Vekseid! Awesome job!

Current roleplay status:  Looking for new stories.

"Weep," said Athos, "Weep, heart full of love, youth and life! Alas, I would I could weep like you!"

AurelieCatena

Quote from: Chrystal on August 21, 2013, 05:26:52 PM
My only gripe is that you did it on a Monday, which is my day off work and thus the day I do most of my posting. Everyone is now getting at me to reply to their posts.... *sigh* They'll just have to wait a few more days!

Ah, this explains a lot of things!

As for me, I'm used to write my posts in a Google Doc first, which I copy-paste to Elliquiy once done. Thus, during that day off, I kept writing and posted it all on Tuesday morning.

Vekseid

Given I'm planning on moving the whole site to https, I've disabled aeva and put up a simpler youtube parser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ZNtOcY_1A

That loads the iframe from Youtube's https site.

Unfortunately this breaks most of the old Aeva links at the moment, and only a ~half-dozen video sites have https over iframes enabled. I can turn these on individually.

Quote from: Chrystal on August 21, 2013, 05:26:52 PM
Many thanks, Veks.

Monday is our least busy day : /