Interest Check! BTVS meets Amber diceless system

Started by Rydia, February 18, 2008, 04:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rydia

OK, I have a very, very loose idea in the back of my mind for a game that would be set in the universe of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  The game mechanic would be run based on a modified, Amber-lite system of four stats that would be compared against that of others to determine success or failure.

Like I said, this game is still in the design stages.  I need to see how many players would be interested to a slow paced, multiperson game, what sorts of characters (non canon) they would bring to the table, and where and how they would like to see the game progress.  Also to be discussed is the nature and type of game this would be, ig, featuring adult content or no.

Thank you for your time and attention.
Check it out.

What are you doing just reading this profile?  Say hello to the friendly Rydia.

Jefepato

I'd be up for a BtVS-setting game (as long as the characters are, as you say, non-canon).  I don't dislike the Amber-ish rules, but I'm not entirely sure why you'd use them for BtVS of all things...

MadPanda

Ooooooo...were I not looking down the barrel of a three-week-minimum outage in the near future due to RL concerns, I'd jump at this!  And even so, if an appropriately Giles-like role could be assigned so that a prolonged absence would have even less effect...  ;D
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Rydia

Quote from: Jefepato on February 18, 2008, 04:54:32 PM
I'd be up for a BtVS-setting game (as long as the characters are, as you say, non-canon).  I don't dislike the Amber-ish rules, but I'm not entirely sure why you'd use them for BtVS of all things...

Chiefly, it's because I would want to have a bare-bones system in place to cover any disputes between PCs and PCs and NPCs that didn't involve Elliquiy's wonderful dice system.

If it's a deal breaker, however, I can be persuaded to go free form.

Oh, and Panda...this wouldn't even come close to starting until after midterms in a couple of weeks.
Check it out.

Jefepato

I can work with it.  (Or at least I assume I can -- I haven't seen how you intend to modify the system yet.)

MadPanda

Oh, of course I understood that this'll take a bit  :)  No worries there.  I just don't know the precise when of my absence!   ::) ;)

In Memory of Bishrook

Rydia

Of course...the evil junior minion recruiting...
Check it out.

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

We had a short run game with the Buffy / Angel unisystem ruleset that unfortunately had to end when our GM moved back to the States. My character was an unwilling hero, a small time thief who stole a sword that just happened to be home to a somewhat deranged demon, and he ended up timesharing his body with it. If he didn't go out and actively fight evil monsters, he'd end up being possessed by it, and forced into even more dangerous situations. It was a lot of fun to play, especially since the other characters didn't know the large green demon with the sword was a good guy  ;D
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

VandalSavage

The setting and game system interest me greatly.

I would hope for adult content, and the system proposed; the Amber rules.  What character types did you have in mind?

I will watch this thread with anticipation.

MadPanda

Ahhhh, yes, the Unisystem approach!  I have a copy of the (unrevised) core book around somewhere...

In Memory of Bishrook

forlorn1

I would be interested in a BTVS game set before the events of the seventh season.  I have often thought that playing through an alternate season 7 with the canon characters would be fun, but since you're talking non-canon...
Basically, I liked the series formula before they made every girl a potential slayer, and the comic book of the eighth season, while fun suffers for it IMHO.

I have played Unisystem BTVS, and lots of rules light story/narrative games, but haven't had the chance to play Amber yet, so anything along those systems would be fine.

As for a character, I am definitely not slayerific, but more scooby like.  Perhaps a mage of some kind, or if needed I could do a watcher type character.  But definitely human, possibly with powers. 

I'll try to watch the thread, but ping me when things get going.

Rydia

Quote from: VandalSavage on February 20, 2008, 06:51:20 PM
I would hope for adult content, and the system proposed; the Amber rules.  What character types did you have in mind?

*dusts herself off after one more midterm*  OK, I'll disclose a bit of the plot since there are some people discussing time settings and character types.

Broadly speaking, any type of character will do, but bear in mind that very quickly after games get started, things go to hell.  Literally.

Remember Glory, the Big Bad from season 5?  Her backstory in a nutshell; a demon god that ruled over a hell dimension with two others in a triumverate back in the day.  The two other hellgods feared Glory so much that they joined together to battle her; she was bound to mortal flesh, conceived of a plan to return home, etc. etc. etc.  Buffy et al. manage to defeat Glory, at the cost of Buffy's life, who makes the ultimate sacrifice in order to seal the portal opened to Glory's dimension. 

Here's where the noncanon starts.  What if the other two Hellgods, sensing Glory's imminent return when the portal opened, flew into the mortal realm to fight Glory in a last ditch effort to stop her from returning home.  What if, when Buffy sealed the gate, the two Hellgods were trapped on Earth in their full power and bad black naughtiness?

As a last aside, since discussion has been mixed on Amber system, and I came to realize how difficult it would make things if certain events occurred (e.g. becoming vampires/werewolves) I've decided to go systemless.
Check it out.