Chinese Mystical Martial Arts Mayhem!! Recruiting Closed

Started by Red Offerings, January 21, 2014, 04:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Offerings

This will be a role play with revolving plots. Once one plot has been fulfilled, another will be introduced. The same will be with smaller plots and events determined by percentile dice rolls.

Revolving Plotline I:

There are two kingdoms which rule over our version of ancient China. During an age before gunpowder and technology, when the wiliest warrior could manipulate chi and borrow power from the elements to assist him or her in defeating their foes. Monks could banish demons back to the nether realm and there still were demons that plodded the soil.

The Kingdom of Xiao rules over the lusher lands of the East. Theirs was a kingdom of insight, philosophy, and fortitude. Because of Xiao's richer lands, it provides roughly 83% of the food consumed by the entire nation. This includes fish and all agricultural production. Because of this, Xiao's people are largely well fed. They are a people who appear to have an easier life and therefore their focus is not so much on physical strength. They tend to wield powerful chi magic more than elemental. Xiao has been ruled by four powerful clans who have rotated its rule between one another through marriage or birth for the last three hundred years.

The Kingdom of Song rules over the cruel, beautiful lands of the West. The rugged terrain, dry, hot climate and vast distances between water have made the kingdom one of steadfastness, stamina, and brawn. Song is no poor wasteland though, its tenacious peoples cultivate iron, copper, gemstones and spices that the eastern kingdom covets. Song's people do not starve, they carve a life from slaying creatures of the desert lands or through trade with the East. Because of the physically demanding elements of life in the Song Kingdom, their focus is primarily physical strength. They tend to wield powerful elemental magi more than chi. Song's rulers have long been a string of militant generals with armies to back their leadership up.

These two kingdoms have had a civil, but uneasy alliance. Each kingdom provides one another with comforts that the other wants and needs. There have been several instances throughout the existence of these dual realms where war has broken out between them, though the end result has always been the resumption of the alliance. There has not been outright conflict between Xiao and Song in 95 years.

This is what happened as most within the Xiao Empire know.

The four ruling clans of the Xiao Empire were Xiao, Zhou, Wu, and Lo. Ten years ago, the Xiao Clan had been ruling for 87 years consistently. Their reign had just been sealed for another generation by the birth of a son to Emperor Xiao Liu. The Emperor already had a nine year old daughter, but Xiao had not allowed an Empress to rule for one hundred and fifty years. The Houses of Zhou and Lo had grown some ambitious men, mean who enjoyed power and wanted their chance to rule the kingdom. But now with the birth of Xiao Liu's son, this would likely not happen in their lifetime.

It had to have been Lord Lo Huang that was the lasting rumor because he was said to have been the most power thirsty. But no one could know for sure. Two weeks prior, the crown princess had been sent off to visit her mother's sister, Lady Chin Ziyi. One of the Lo general's was sent down with her along with a contingent of men for her protection. But back home, one night, the two houses stormed the palace with the full force of their armies and murdered the entire royal family, including the newborn crown prince who was cast down on the stone steps leading from the palace. Citizens only had a vague idea of what was happening because they heard the pained, shrill cries of the empress, as she plead for the life of her son. In the southern lands, the general and his contingent drowned the princess and the members of her house, including the great Lady Chin Ziyi.

War between the four houses lasted nearly three years, resulting in the virtual annihilation of the four great clans. Peace did not occur even then as the smaller clans eventually began to fight over which should take over rule of the lands. It wasn't merely the clans that were impacted by the fighting, many civilians lost their lives and there was a large exodus from the grand city. Over the last few years, the Xiao kingdom has slipped further and further into disarray and lawlessness.

It has been ten years since the great houses fell and only recently has the Song Kingdom heard the first rumors of what has trespassed. The Xiao kingdom is an open door to whatever ruler is powerful enough to step up to the throne.

Profile Skeleton to be submitted to moi via PM ONLY.

[color=colorofchoice][b]name:[/b][/color] (character name)
[color=colorofchoice][b]age:[/b][/color]
[color=colorofchoice][b]gender:[/b][/color]
[color=colorofchoice][b]kingdom:[/b][/color]
[color=colorofchoice][b]societal rank or occupation:[/b][/color] (Are you the Militant General or a Traveling Monk?)
[color=colorofchoice][b]weaponry:[/b][/color] (list all, notate if it is mystical, if so you will need to describe what it is supposed to do)
[color=colorofchoice][b]abilities:[/b][/color] (Describe these in depth, do you use Chi or Elemental power?)
[color=colorofchoice][b]special attacks:[/b][/color] (You will need to be detailed here. You may have up to three.)
[color=colorofchoice][b]fighting style:[/b][/color] (What style of wushu do you use, if any? Are you a Master, novice, veteran? Please note that masters should be no younger than 28)
[color=colorofchoice][b]mirror, mirror on the wall:[/b][/color] (physical description here, may use picture along with description but it must be linked, not embedded)
[color=colorofchoice][b]in my heart of hearts:[/b][/color] (personality description, 2 paragraphs minimum, 4 max)
[color=colorofchoice][b]my dark past:[/b][/color] (character history, 2 paragraphs minimum, 5 max)
[color=colorofchoice][b]plot line:[/b][/color] (Is your character directly participating in the main plot? Yes or No.)
[color=colorofchoice][b]theme song!:[/b][/color] (Heavy Metal or Rock, links only please)
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Pumpkin Seeds

Red Offerings

What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

HairyHeretic

I do enjoy my wu xia, and I know one or two others who might as well.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Red Offerings

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 21, 2014, 06:16:56 PM
I do enjoy my wu xia, and I know one or two others who might as well.

Sweet! I was hoping I'd get some interest!

MzHyde

Ironwolf85

count me in, I've designed a couple settings if you'd like to pitch them.
I loved Man with the Iron Fists, Dinasty Warriors, and Kung Fu Hussle.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Batman4560

This has Jade Empire written all over it. Count me interested.

Isengrad

Haha, This looks great. A Perfect opportunity to use The Unbreakable Jianji. I think you had me Hooked the moment I saw the image form Kung Fu hustle.

original artwork by karabiner

Red Offerings

Quote from: MzHyde on January 21, 2014, 07:56:58 PM
I'm all about RotTk.

I think I may try to work something up that is very close to that.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on January 21, 2014, 08:09:38 PM
count me in, I've designed a couple settings if you'd like to pitch them.
I loved Man with the Iron Fists, Dinasty Warriors, and Kung Fu Hussle.

PM them to me! Maybe we can integrate them all together or something.

Quote from: Batman4560 on January 21, 2014, 09:53:13 PM

Sweet!

Quote from: Isengrad on January 22, 2014, 09:55:55 AM
Haha, This looks great. A Perfect opportunity to use The Unbreakable Jianji. I think you had me Hooked the moment I saw the image form Kung Fu hustle.

Yeah, one of my favs!

Red Offerings

Romance of the Three Kingdoms seems to be the favorable choice then? But do we want the same old stuff based off of the video game and literature or should we come up with something different within that setting? I am entertaining an idea at the moment that would allow for intrigue and conflict for the kingdoms. What do you think?

Red Offerings

Okay, I have added part of a possible plot line to the bottom of the original post. I am still working on a broad/larger plot, but I haven't decided just yet. The larger plot will be the general driving force above everything else, but it will often be eclipsed by smaller sub plots between groups. Let me know what you all think of what I have so far. Keep in mind this is just an idea.

Tsunami

To boldly go where no one wants too!!!!

Red Offerings

Florence

Oh fuck me. I'm behind in an rp or two but... ugh. This appeals to my interests.

... okay, lets see, if I can sort out what I'm backed up on and get my schedule straightened out, this game has my definite interest. :I

I just finished playing Choice of Kung-Fu on my phone xD

http://www.choiceofgames.com/category/our-games/

So... yeah. I've been dreaming up a character to play in this sort of rp xD

Quote from: Batman4560 on January 21, 2014, 09:53:13 PM

Fuck yes, Jade Empire <3
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 22, 2014, 07:42:37 PM
Oh fuck me. I'm behind in an rp or two but... ugh. This appeals to my interests.

... okay, lets see, if I can sort out what I'm backed up on and get my schedule straightened out, this game has my definite interest. :I

Fuck yes, Jade Empire <3

Haha, sounds good. You've got a couple days since I'm still eking things out anyways. We might get rolling by this weekend depending how long people take to create their characters after I finish.

Florence

I'm curious about the fantasy elements btw. When you say chi magic, are we talking like... Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, or straight up throwing fireballs and stuff? :o

Also, I see the mention of demons, are player characters strictly human, or would it be possible to play non-human characters like demons and spirits. Not the ghost-type spirits mind you, but more like huli jing for instance.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

kckolbe

RoTK and Jade Empire are two loves of mine.  I can't say "I'm in" since I don't have a concept, but will be eagerly following.  I like the idea of factions as well.  My standard question: will this involve a system or will each side just roll a d20?

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 22, 2014, 07:42:37 PM

Fuck yes, Jade Empire <3

This made me laugh, Finn, and I know this feeling well.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Carlissa

I'm a little backed up on my RPs as well, but I'll throw my interest in as well. Although I have little idea what most of these franchises you guys keep talking about are...

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 22, 2014, 07:42:37 PMhttp://www.choiceofgames.com/category/our-games/

Hey, I remember this site. I used to go here when the only story available was the dragon one. Seemed they've added quite a few more stories since I last visited. Too bad you need to pay for the Kung fu one...
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Ironwolf85

I had the image of other creatures from Chinese/japanese myth too.
I'll try and compile a list of interesting creatures
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Florence

Quote from: Carlissa on January 22, 2014, 11:19:41 PM
I'm a little backed up on my RPs as well, but I'll throw my interest in as well. Although I have little idea what most of these franchises you guys keep talking about are...

Hey, I remember this site. I used to go here when the only story available was the dragon one. Seemed they've added quite a few more stories since I last visited. Too bad you need to pay for the Kung fu one...

Aye, but on the bright side, they're really cheap. They're about $3-4. I've bought Heroes Rise and Choice of Kung Fu so far xD

And it is clear they put a lot of effort into these, so its not like they don't deserve the money.

But I digress, this topic is about an awesome rp idea :3

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 22, 2014, 08:32:40 PM
I'm curious about the fantasy elements btw. When you say chi magic, are we talking like... Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, or straight up throwing fireballs and stuff? :o

Also, I see the mention of demons, are player characters strictly human, or would it be possible to play non-human characters like demons and spirits. Not the ghost-type spirits mind you, but more like huli jing for instance.

Chi is more like the use of life energy. Think of it for this instance kind of like the Force in Star Wars. Chi users can use their chi, depending on how powerful they are to make force attacks, shock waves, and other manipulations. Fireballs and the like would be considered more into elemental magic. The movie The Sorcerer and the White Snake is a great example of chi magic.

Depending how much interest this cultivates, I may allow people to play nonhuman characters, though initially I would want to focus on getting some members of these two kingdoms.

Isengrad

What about body manipulation, like brass body in man with the iron fists, is that still more elemental then chi based?

original artwork by karabiner

Mnemaxa

Quote from: Isengrad on January 23, 2014, 07:29:01 AM
What about body manipulation, like brass body in man with the iron fists, is that still more elemental then chi based?
Traditionally, Chin-Na/Atemi (Grasping Arts) is more of an internal style, using the oppoenent's chi instead of your own.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.