Wreck it Ralph, a new movie from Disney...

Started by Wolfy, June 06, 2012, 10:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Wreck It Ralph Official Trailer [HD]: John C. Reilly Travels Through Video Games As A Hero

....as a Gamer, I must say....seeing Bowser, Zangief, Robotnik, a pacman ghost, and several others, all sitting in a room together?

Made me squee.

Granted, they most likely won't be more than cameo appearances and won't really do anything with the story, buuuuuut...it's still nice to see.

Galactic Druid

Saw a poster of this tonight, when i finally got around to seeing the avengers. I'm totally on board with this movie.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Vodka

Alright, this is genius. Absolutely genius.

And the use of "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads makes it even better.

*squee*
ON+OFF
IDEAS+ROLES

just let me fall out of the window with confetti in my hair

Chris Brady

Lessee, a robot which could be from any number of games, and likely is (Hey, it's easy to get work, kinda like a zombie), but I'm thinking Vectorman (looks familiar to me), Kano from Mortal Kombat, there's M.Bison AKA Vega from Streetfighter 2 as well as Zang, the Demon Lord from the Dungeon Keeper series, and a Beholder from the D&D games.  The two I can't place are elf looking girl and the rhino guy beside her, although he looks vaguely familiar.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Shjade

Quote from: Chris Brady on June 12, 2012, 12:09:06 PM
Lessee, a robot which could be from any number of games, and likely is (Hey, it's easy to get work, kinda like a zombie), but I'm thinking Vectorman (looks familiar to me), Kano from Mortal Kombat, there's M.Bison AKA Vega from Streetfighter 2 as well as Zang, the Demon Lord from the Dungeon Keeper series, and a Beholder from the D&D games.  The two I can't place are elf looking girl and the rhino guy beside her, although he looks vaguely familiar.

Misread.

The rhino is from Altered Beast.

Some quick Googling around suggests the robot, like the green tentacle-eyed monster, might not be an existing villain, just something they made up to fill out the roster of meeting members.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

bubby

That....is AWESOMSAUCE....the originality is great.

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Vodka on June 12, 2012, 12:00:39 PM
Alright, this is genius. Absolutely genius.

And the use of "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads makes it even better.

*squee*

Thank you! *runs off to iTunes* I was wondering what that song was.

Tumult

The gamer in me just had an orgasm. And OMG, I haven't thought about Altered Beast is FOREVER. I loved that game as a kid.

Shjade

*listens to Once in a Lifetime*

...hunh. I don't think I've ever heard that song in full before. It's odd.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Envious

Chris Brady

Quote from: Shjade on June 12, 2012, 01:07:04 PM
Misread.

The rhino is from Altered Beast.

Some quick Googling around suggests the robot, like the green tentacle-eyed monster, might not be an existing villain, just something they made up to fill out the roster of meeting members.
AHA!  I know the rhino dood was familiar.

The Green Tentacled Monster is a D&D monster known as a Beholder.  Which showed up in a couple of console games based on the license.  The Elf Chick and Robot are the only two I can't place.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

Haven't seen so many licensed characters since roger rabbit

Sabby

I'm just worried they'll try to shoehorn in some backwards message about game violence... that whole "When did games get so scary?!" line sent a few warning bells blaring.

Chris Brady

Then Wizards of The Coast can legally sue Disney.  Because that art is CLEARLY a Beholder, and WoTC has the VISUAL rights to that monster.  It's clearly a Beholder (Large Central eye, various eyes on the 'eye stalks') and that's IP infringement.

Galactic Druid

I'm not entirely positive about this, but I think every other game developer has a better chance with this one.

Chris Brady

Said can.  Not will.  Two different things.

Kendra

OMG! *fangirl squeees!*
that just looks frickin' awesome and will introduce a whole new generation to some really great old games - if they haven't been already lol

I'm sure the children who will be watching it won't care who they can and cannot recognise, they'll just be too busy laughing it up  ;)

Galactic Druid

Yeah, there's definitely a LOT of stuff for us old folks in this one. I really wonder if Disney had to pay much in royalties, or if these companies were happy to let their old games get some notice from a new generation...

Tumult

I would wonder if some of the royalties still count, given a lot of those games a more than twenty years old.

LaOnomatopoeia

QuoteHaven't seen so many licensed characters since roger rabbit

My thought too!

If you take a look at the IMDB page of the movie, they give the proper names to some of the characters (some = two), so they clearly made an effort to get permission.

Interesting fact, I see - they got the sexy voice of Gerald C Rivers doing M Bison. I wonder if he came with the rights to use his likeness?  ;)

Occident

This is going to lead to so many crossover fanfics and RPs.

Inkidu

Quote from: Tumult on June 18, 2012, 12:21:05 AM
I would wonder if some of the royalties still count, given a lot of those games a more than twenty years old.
You'd bet your bottom dollar they do. Companies don't tie up royalties and rights in one character. They don't get paid because it's Mario, they get paid because it's the Mario franchise, but unless it's totally obscure, it's safe to assume that someone is paying someone to use it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Occident

Quote from: Inkidu on June 19, 2012, 08:12:31 AM
You'd bet your bottom dollar they do. Companies don't tie up royalties and rights in one character. They don't get paid because it's Mario, they get paid because it's the Mario franchise, but unless it's totally obscure, it's safe to assume that someone is paying someone to use it.
Merchandising is also a big thing. They didn't used to think it was big, but now... Any of yo heard about how the Beatles manager gave away 90% of The Beatles merchandising rights for nearly nothing? May be a bit off topic, but just an example for how things have changed. Heck, if it weren't for royalties they would have made the original Donkey Kong game into one for Popeye!

CmdrRenegade

The green tentacled monster might be a Beholder, but my first reaction is that it's a Marlboro from Final Fantasy. 

"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.