Wireless Mouse Connection [resolved]

Started by Missy, June 26, 2016, 12:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missy

So I've started to have an issue recently with my wireless mouse coming disconnected seemingly at random. I've already tried changing the battery and there has been no change in the problem as a result of this. Essentially the mouse quits transmitting/receiving (I assume in the absence of any other more plausible explanation within my very limited knowledge) and well the natural happens. Sometime my mouse will sit still on my PC screen while I move the device in my hand in circles or back and forth for a few seconds, sometimes I'm playing a game and I come out of my sniper scope view even though I'm still holding the right mouse button.

It's a bit of a frustrating problem for which i have no experience or expertise, does anyone know anything which might serve to be useful at all???

Cycle

Is your driver up to date?  Is it one of those that requires an opaque surface?  I had one of those mice die on me simply because it was cheap and past its warranty period.

The Dark Raven

Also, if your keyboard is also wireless, sometimes their connections get mixed up and the keyboard always wins (no clue why).  This is why I have either both wired or the mouse gets wired first because it's a ditz. :/

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Oniya

Quote from: The Dark Raven on June 26, 2016, 12:50:31 PM
Also, if your keyboard is also wireless, sometimes their connections get mixed up and the keyboard always wins (no clue why).  This is why I have either both wired or the mouse gets wired first because it's a ditz. :/

Keyboard interrupt always wins because in the case of a conflict, keyboard commands can be vital in solving the problem. (editing configs and the like)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Missy

my keyboard is wired.

How would I check on drivers?

Cycle

Try something like this:  go to Control Panel, look for Mouse, click and then go to the Hardware tab.  Look for Properties and click that.  It should give you an option for Driver.

Missy

Found it, it just has an option titled "driver details", clicking it just opens up a listing of file folders I guess where the software is stored.

There's also an option titled "update driver", but its ghosted.

Cycle

Hmm.  That suggests your drivers are up to date.  Is there another tab for the maker of your mouse?  Maybe google that make/model and see if there is a download option for an updated driver?

Beguile's Mistress

Try giving the optics a clean with a cotton swab or a skewer/toothpick with a bit of cotton wrapped round the tip.  Get into the edges of the opening.  This worked for me once.

Missy

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on June 26, 2016, 11:26:13 PM
Try giving the optics a clean with a cotton swab or a skewer/toothpick with a bit of cotton wrapped round the tip.  Get into the edges of the opening.  This worked for me once.
Thanks, but no luck.

Beguile's Mistress

Darn!  I was so hoping that would work for you.

I have another suggestion.  I have an issue with my own wireless mouse.  It keeps on working but the touch pad that I had disabled was randomly turning on again.  I'd have to go into the Control Panel and disable it again.  This has been happening for years and I thought it was the computer randomly activating it for some bizarre reason.  Just the other day I heard the goony little chime noise the laptop makes when a USB device is removed and looked at the touch pad and sure enough the tiny LED light was gone.  Seems I've been bumping the plug in gizmo without realizing it all this time.  This may be what is causing your problem.  I put a piece of tape over mine to hold it in place to see if that keeps me from accidentally disconnecting it.  The tape wraps around the edge of the laptop from top to bottom over the plug in gizmo.

Missy

Quote from: Cycle on June 26, 2016, 08:57:06 PM
Hmm.  That suggests your drivers are up to date.  Is there another tab for the maker of your mouse?  Maybe google that make/model and see if there is a download option for an updated driver?

Looking over it all again it says the driver was made in 2006, a bit odd since I haven't had the PC for that long. I can;t find anything in the software menus other than to say it's a microsoft mouse. It does have numbers on the bottom of the mouse itself though that lead me here and here

Missy

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on July 02, 2016, 11:21:08 AM
Darn!  I was so hoping that would work for you.

I have another suggestion.  I have an issue with my own wireless mouse.  It keeps on working but the touch pad that I had disabled was randomly turning on again.  I'd have to go into the Control Panel and disable it again.  This has been happening for years and I thought it was the computer randomly activating it for some bizarre reason.  Just the other day I heard the goony little chime noise the laptop makes when a USB device is removed and looked at the touch pad and sure enough the tiny LED light was gone.  Seems I've been bumping the plug in gizmo without realizing it all this time.  This may be what is causing your problem.  I put a piece of tape over mine to hold it in place to see if that keeps me from accidentally disconnecting it.  The tape wraps around the edge of the laptop from top to bottom over the plug in gizmo.

Thankyou again, but it's not a laptop and I've never used a touchpad on it. All the other mouses I've ever used with it have been plug in mice so I don't think anything else is connected. I don't see any list of multiple items in the control panel/settings menus either. Thankyou for trying anyway :)

Beguile's Mistress

I'm out of ideas.  I hope find a fix and I'll ask around to see if anyone I know has a suggestion.  Good luck, Missy. 

Leroco

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on July 02, 2016, 11:48:39 AM
I'm out of ideas.  I hope find a fix and I'll ask around to see if anyone I know has a suggestion.  Good luck, Missy.

I had a weird issues with mouse randomly not working, or being randomly very sluggish.  Turns out it was an issue with interference with devices inside the computer.  I was able to fix it by getting a USB extender and moving the receiver away from the laptop I was using.

As well, you may just have to move the USB port, or look for other nearby devices that cause issues.  Routers, for example, or microwaves.

Geraint

I have similar problems from time to time with my Logitech wireless mice (using Windows 7) and one or the other of two solutions has always worked for me.  If the mouse pointer has simply slowed down or become erratic, it's usually dust and simply blowing air into the little optics hole to dislodge the dust works for me.  If the pointer is not moving at all, I unplug the wireless receiver from the USB port it's plugged into on the computer, and wait until Windows makes the sound it generally makes when USB peripherals are disconnected.  Then I plug it back in, the computer reloads the mouse driver, making another sound, and the mouse works again.

Neither of those may work for your situation, but they're easy to do and may be worth a try.   

Missy

So thanks everyone for your help, I ended up buying a new one and it's working fine now so I think that mouse had just seen its day and was ready to retired.