The Fate of Castle Berubiam [DnD 5e] [Horror] [Apocalyptic] [Closed]

Started by Caitlin, October 19, 2017, 11:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caitlin

I've gone through all the classes and calculated the value of their starting equipment + 25 GP for background gear. I've rounded these values up or down closest to 0 or 5 at the end, whichever one was applicable.

The bard received a little nerf with starting gold, but every other class received a big boost with starting gold to buy equipment. Especially the Fighter class gained a ton of money, but Paladins also don't have a lot to complain (in fact, they have the most starting money now).

Updated values:
Barbarian: 85 GP
Bard: 120 GP
Cleric: 155 GP
Druid: 90 GP
Fighter: 225 GP
Monk: 55 GP
Paladin: 230 GP
Ranger: 145 GP
Rogue: 125 GP
Sorcerer: 80 GP
Warlock: 145 GP
Wizard: 130 GP

These values are also updated in the original post. DeviantMunster, thanks for posting your character already. Be sure to check if you want to update your equipment based on the new information above.  :-)

Also thanks for giving me that heads up, I definitely didn't intend to shortcut any classes on their starting equipment. :D

Chulanowa

I'm feeling spellcaster-y. I'm not 100% what flavor just yet. Kinda feeling warlock, Cleric, or Druid. Hmmm.

Caitlin

Spell casters are definitely welcome. Although it's not mandatory, it would be nice to see a class spread in the group and a lot of interest was in the melee classes so far, so yeah, if you decide on a caster type then it'd be a nice addition. I haven't seen druid getting mentioned at all so far, but like I also said before; I don't mind taking a double class either if it comes down to that, although we'd have to look into different domains or sub classes if people end up picking the exact same thing.

Also a minor DM note; people are getting a lot of start gold now, feel free to spend it all on adventuring gear you think may be useful for the upcoming adventure. If you end up with more gear than the sheet can handle, then please add the rest of it in the 'Other Notes' section on the myth-weavers sheet. That section can handle a lot more information.

DeviantMunster

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to bring it up, or to make things change really. I was thinking of picking starting gear/background equipment if allowed. Even with the generous 135 Gp for Pallies (5d4x10) normally,  so 135 is above the average, I think? It turned out that with heavy armor as it is, and the cost of certain martial melee weapons. On top of the Noble background gear... That 'rolling for moneys' was actually a terrible idea! 50 gold for a greatsword, 75 for chainmail. Or in my case, 15 for a long sword, 10 for a shield, 75 for the chainmail. That gobbles up the moneys! Surprisingly quickly.

Gasp! 200 almost seems like way too much, but thank you!

Chulanowa

Quote from: Caitlin on October 22, 2017, 03:21:51 PM
Spell casters are definitely welcome. Although it's not mandatory, it would be nice to see a class spread in the group and a lot of interest was in the melee classes so far, so yeah, if you decide on a caster type then it'd be a nice addition. I haven't seen druid getting mentioned at all so far, but like I also said before; I don't mind taking a double class either if it comes down to that, although we'd have to look into different domains or sub classes if people end up picking the exact same thing.

Oh, I'm all for it. Like i said, I usually end up playing the halfling or gnome rogue, SOMETIMES I play a bard or barbarian. So whipping out someone who is No Mere Conjurer of Cheap Tricks sounds truly awesome. Now to decide on gender.

Caitlin

Quote from: DeviantMunster on October 22, 2017, 03:29:20 PM
Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to bring it up, or to make things change really. I was thinking of picking starting gear/background equipment if allowed. Even with the generous 135 Gp for Pallies (5d4x10) normally,  so 135 is above the average, I think? It turned out that with heavy armor as it is, and the cost of certain martial melee weapons. On top of the Noble background gear... That 'rolling for moneys' was actually a terrible idea! 50 gold for a greatsword, 75 for chainmail. Or in my case, 15 for a long sword, 10 for a shield, 75 for the chainmail. That gobbles up the moneys! Surprisingly quickly.

Gasp! 200 almost seems like way too much, but thank you!
*Grins*

Generally as a player I usually have an agreement with the DM that I get to buy the most expensive gear allowed with the starting gear on a class and then melt it all down to gold so I can buy my own equipment. I've used a similar system with the new numbers and gave the players a little more leeway than you generally see. I think the numbers are fair though and with the storylines I have in mind, well... you're probably going to need it. ;)

I hope this gives you more options with buying the gear you're after though. Oh, and really don't worry about the changes, I want things fair to the players and you helped me bring that along, so if anything, you have my gratitude for bringing it up. :D

Quote from: Chulanowa on October 22, 2017, 03:36:44 PM
Oh, I'm all for it. Like i said, I usually end up playing the halfling or gnome rogue, SOMETIMES I play a bard or barbarian. So whipping out someone who is No Mere Conjurer of Cheap Tricks sounds truly awesome. Now to decide on gender.
I'm looking forward to it. ^_^

DeviantMunster

I have a lot of fun playing sorcery classes - specifically bard. Melee can be kind of... dull... But then! The inclusion of those UA feats was really nice, and the allowance of picking your skills as you wish - gives more options to us, Woo.

I can maybe swap out to cleric or something else if we really have too many melee. I just like Paladins! T-the proper kind. Curse you 4E!

Revelation

I liked 4e paladins.  :'(

Is unearthed arcana content allowed? I'm eyeing Kensei monk.

Caitlin

Quote from: DeviantMunster on October 22, 2017, 03:54:44 PM
I have a lot of fun playing sorcery classes - specifically bard. Melee can be kind of... dull... But then! The inclusion of those UA feats was really nice, and the allowance of picking your skills as you wish - gives more options to us, Woo.

I can maybe swap out to cleric or something else if we really have too many melee. I just like Paladins! T-the proper kind. Curse you 4E!
Yeah, and you get to allocate your stat points from the racial at will as well, which also allows you to pick any of the races while you're still able to build an optimal character stat-wise. ^_^

Quote from: Changingsaint on October 22, 2017, 08:05:46 PM
Is unearthed arcana content allowed? I'm eyeing Kensei monk.
I'm allowing UA feats and the UA ranger since the default ranger class is pretty weak, but no other UA content. It's just too much tracking and reading up to on my end if I allowed everything else. I've checked each of the UA feats before though and I've read up a lot on the ranger class in the past, which made it easier for me to allow those since I found both balanced after running my own math on it, but since that process takes days (or even weeks to check it all out in detail) on my end I figured I'd leave it at that.

DeviantMunster

4E is, by what I've heard. Fun. Incredibly so. But part of the charm of the paladin was that... No matter what god you served. Be it Helm, god of protection. Ilmater, god of mercy. Sune, goddess of passion. Red Knight, goddess of strategy. Jergal, god of death... Etc! Every paladin shared the same code. No matter their religion, they each were recognizable across DnD as just. Lawful. Etc! Clerics were worshipers and followers of their god (and capable of gaining smite through a domain). There were also the prestige, Champion classes. But pallys were amazing for them not actually being 'holy warriors', but something more!

*gasps!*

Totally n-nerdy, I know. But I really liked that theme, despite the restrictions. 4E just... ruined that. And 5E... Loosened it. Not terribly much, but yush!

AndyZ

The good and bad of 4e was its heavy work on the system and grindy bits.  It was more or less designed to let you freeform out the RP aspects and gave you a game with insane amounts of combat grind.  That's great if you don't mind handling non-combat stuff as heavily freeform, but when people have groups that consider RP as a boring side trek to going out and getting some action in, it doesn't work as well.

For example, 5e crafting rules are basically, "If you have a proficiency, you can do 5gp per day of work, and expend materials costing half that."  In 4e, it was more or less a roleplaying choice with no mechanical benefits or rules on how to play it.  But most games aren't going to focus on crafting anyway.

I recommend 4e for people who love freeform and are cool with the idea of switching between barely using a system to using a complex system whenever combat begins or ends.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

TheHangedOne

Hey everybody. Unless Warlock is already spoken for (I know someone was leaning heavily towards spellcasting), I'd actually like to pick up that class for this go around. That, or I might go Monk.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Caitlin

Hi THM! ;D

Feel free to make a warlock sheet if that has your first preference. I'm interested to see what you come up with. :)

So far no characters are approved yet and if somebody else comes with a warlock too, then I could very well end up taking both in the game. I'm not against taking a double of a class as long as the characters themselves are different enough.

[edit]
General announcement: if you have a character concept, then please fill a sheet. I have a week off work this week and I hope to get the game going later this week. I've worked out a lot of the details on my side (my work file is 20 pages already), and I'm ready to start the story. ;D

Rhadiance

I am really interested in this story, and have been trying to make a druid character for it.

Are you using the encumbrance variant rule? (5x Str = lightly encumbered)

Caitlin

I was planning on using the regular rule, but I'll allow small creatures to carry the same amount as medium creatures. The way I read the PHB (page 176), it's only when your size is tiny that your carrying capacity gets cut in half.

For medium/ small size this means that your carrying capacity is your strength score x 15 before being encumbered. Unlike the variant rule, your armor weight does count with the weight you carry though. However, I think that overall you'll be able to carry more equipment with you then when you use the variant rule. Keep in mind that the party also receives a cart and a donkey to carry their gear.

I'm looking forward to seeing your character! :-)

towerhouse

One final quick question on the character creation.  Is it OK if my character was a refugee from the recent battle at Shroudhallow, but is originally from one of the five villages? 

Also, do you have a particular image preference in mind?  (Cosplay photo, art, etc.?)
-TH

On/Offs

Revelation

Quote from: Caitlin on October 23, 2017, 12:45:08 AM
Yeah, and you get to allocate your stat points from the racial at will as well, which also allows you to pick any of the races while you're still able to build an optimal character stat-wise. ^_^
I'm allowing UA feats and the UA ranger since the default ranger class is pretty weak, but no other UA content. It's just too much tracking and reading up to on my end if I allowed everything else. I've checked each of the UA feats before though and I've read up a lot on the ranger class in the past, which made it easier for me to allow those since I found both balanced after running my own math on it, but since that process takes days (or even weeks to check it all out in detail) on my end I figured I'd leave it at that.

Alas! Though understandable. Are Variant humans allowed? You did say 'every race' in the OP, but I had to make sure. Probably gonna go ahead and make a barbarian - unless Tower was making one. In which case, UA ranger instead! Just gotta work out the details.

towerhouse

Indeed, I am making a barbarian.  Here is my tentative sheet.  Although 2 barbarians ain't bad.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1371481

Still waiting for answers to questions before finishing bio. 

Also, I believe Variant Human is allowed.
-TH

On/Offs

Revelation

I'll make a UA ranger then since we could use ranged support instead!

avarus

Oooh this looks awesome. I'll try to whip up a charry before tomorrow :D @Deviantmunster: Did you claim bard yet or do you mind if I make one? Otherwise I'll go Rogue. We'll need someone to pry open chests and doors after all :P

DeviantMunster

I made a paladin! It was just an off-hand. Bard's open as far as I know!

Feats are allowed and Cait specifically linked them. So Variant Human is a-okay.

Caitlin

Quote from: towerhouse on October 23, 2017, 06:10:57 PM
One final quick question on the character creation.  Is it OK if my character was a refugee from the recent battle at Shroudhallow, but is originally from one of the five villages? 

Also, do you have a particular image preference in mind?  (Cosplay photo, art, etc.?)
No, the character may have been born originally in Shroudhallow, but it can't be a refugee and must come from one of the five villages. Those people are too traumatized to be of any use in combat and the ones who could fight already stayed behind to aid the defense of the village. If one of those fled first only to return later then it wouldn't end well for that character. You may also have relatives living in Shroudhallow, but you must have at least 1 direct living relative in one of the other five villages too.

As far as art though; anything but anime works. I'm a big fan of the art you see in the PHB, so that style would be awesome, but cosplay/ real images are also fine. I have a dislike of anime images in general though, they pull you too much out of the suspension of disbelief.

Quote from: Changingsaint on October 23, 2017, 07:05:42 PM
Alas! Though understandable. Are Variant humans allowed? You did say 'every race' in the OP, but I had to make sure. Probably gonna go ahead and make a barbarian - unless Tower was making one. In which case, UA ranger instead! Just gotta work out the details.
I'm a big fan of Human (Variant) when I play a character myself, so yes, they're allowed. ;)
They're one of the PHB races so I don't see a reason why I shouldn't allow them.

Quote from: avarus on October 23, 2017, 07:30:38 PM
Oooh this looks awesome. I'll try to whip up a charry before tomorrow :D @Deviantmunster: Did you claim bard yet or do you mind if I make one? Otherwise I'll go Rogue. We'll need someone to pry open chests and doors after all :P
It'd be nice to see either a Bard or a Wizard in the party, so far nobody created a character sheet yet for either. AngelicFaith is working on a Rogue.

Quote from: Changingsaint on October 23, 2017, 07:12:46 PM
I'll make a UA ranger then since we could use ranged support instead!
Ranger is still open too, nobody took that one yet. :-)

Caitlin

DM Announcement: I forgot to add this in the OP (I'll fix that in a minute), but the myth-weavers.com sheet doesn't feature any place to put your Hit Dice in. Can you all please add this to the last row of the Weapons/ Attack section of your sheet, below your weapons? I found this to be the best spot to put them.
You can type 'Hit dice' in the column Weapon (Type/Range) and put your Hit Dice in column Attack in the format 1d10/1d10. If you use a Hit Die, then please update this to 0d10/1d10 (this is assuming you have a hit dice of a d10, use the hit dice your class supplies you with).

eBadger

Looks very interesting, will get something up in the next day.  Any particular class I should make?  Have a few concepts, nothing concrete yet. 

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.