News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Unknown Armies (always recruiting)

Started by Kythia, August 06, 2013, 08:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kythia

Awesome, thanks.

Worked myself into the ground at the moment (took a second job in the run up to Christmas) and its taken me a bit to find my rhythm with the new routine. Gonna do a colossal catch up on Saturday and then, god willing, be back into the swing of writing.

Long story short, reply will come not before Saturday (though not after either.  Saturday.)

Kythia

Wiki page is all but written on my hard drive, but still got bits and bobs to do.  Hey, a propos a conversation I had with Remiel - did you all know external hard drives were a thing?  We spent ten minutes talking at cross purposes "Don't store things on your laptop, that's what hard drives are for" "I do store it on the hard drive, where else would I store it"

Twenty xp for the first person to agree that no one could have reasonably been expected to have heard of them.

And speaking of xp, hasn't the football been depressing recently.  Out of the cup and lost to the Mackams.  Thank god for wins against Chelsea and Tottenham.  I figure you all need 3 xp to cheer you up.  And by "you all" I mean Riveda, Blythe and Remiel - no IC posts from the other two since last xp given out.  Are you guys still here? 

Rook Seidhr

Aw thanks Kythia. Lost to Sunderland, yeah, that could put a fellow right out of sorts if he didn't have some xp to cheer him up. :D

You said Bran heard a ping of email from his phone, but didn't say what he found when he checked it. Or was that ping from Patveer's phone and I misunderstood?

Kythia

Bollocks, no, I'm just a shitty GM.  Overlooked your comment about checking, rectifying now.  Thanks.

Blythe

Yikes--sorry for such a long delay getting a reply up--I'm working on one now! I didn't mean to vanish like that.  :o

Kythia

No worries.  RL takes precedence and the game shouldn't be a chore.  I've been busy all day anyway - exciting day for me for reasons too irrelevant to anyone else to share.  Plus, we beat Norwich, so maybe you staying away is my new lucky charm - my pants seem increasingly hit and miss these days

Demigod1945

Alrighty, sorry for falling off the face of the earth there :-\ So, anyone have tips on how I should post back in? Cause I'm a bit lost on how to?

Rook Seidhr

Kythia

Demigod1945

Ok, that'll work, I'll make an attempt on that part.

Kythia

Yeah, "Norm" is an asshole.  You're just roleplaying.  That's the story we agreed on, right?

Kythia

Just a few quick points:

1) If you guys want to collaborate on a conversation post via PM then that's fine with me.  I know some people like to do that, some don't.  I'm easy.

2) Feel free to ask for rolls (or even make them yourselves - I can always ignore the inappropriate ones).  By this I mean if you're wondering if you know something, if you can put 2 and 2 together or whatever then feel free to make a roll that seems appropriate/ask me to make you a roll.  It's a fine line between what to roll and what not to and I don't want to veer too far into making you roll Mind for every thought your character has.  In short, I'm prepared to be pretty chilled about even a low Mind character having good ideas.  However, there are obviously some things you don't know about the game world that its possible your characters would.  In those cases (I'm thinking here of e.g. accounting practices for Norm and Miyo) then just shout me and I'll let you know what and if to roll.

3) Bran's friend Katy:  UA is set in the real world and I have no objection to you guys knowing people.  The limit - and for the avoidance of doubt Riveda is on the correct side of it - is their usefulness.  All of your friends, colleagues, relations etc. are useless.  None of them have skills or abilities to distinguish them greatly from the herd.  If you want a friend who is a genius, a politician or incredibly wealthy then that is done through the skills system.  For example, imagine Katy wasn't simply Bran's classmate but was a professional call girl.  In that case, Riveda would need to buy a Soul skill called "Knows a Call Girl"  or something similar.  Calling in a favour from her would be a roll.  Hope that makes sense, shout if it doesn't.

Remiel

Actually, would the Register of Companies mean anything to Norm or Miyo?

Kythia

Pretty shitty accountants if it didn't.

Which raises another point.  As you know, I've been crazy busy these last few weeks, Wiki is something that's happening.  One change that will come before that though is that I'm giving you all a new skill at 35%

Norm, Miyo - Accountant
Bran - Schoolboy
Chris - PI

This is my brother's suggestion, actually, so blame him.  This skill gives you all the generic knowledge of your trade.  Norm and Miyo would roll against it to analyse financial reports, Bran to know somebody in to roleplaying or to have a teacher who can set up a webpage, Chris to trace a phone call or know minor points of the law.

This is basically just an attempt to mechanise backgrounds.  Let me know what you think.

Rook Seidhr

Kythia

Yeah, sorry.  Toyed with making yours Soul but I'd sooner keep them all under the same category.

Blythe

Quote from: Kythia on December 04, 2013, 09:29:13 PM
One change that will come before that though is that I'm giving you all a new skill at 35%

Norm, Miyo - Accountant

This skill gives you all the generic knowledge of your trade.  Norm and Miyo would roll against it to analyse financial reports

This is basically just an attempt to mechanise backgrounds.  Let me know what you think.

So basically, if I'm either unsure of something Miyo knows as an accountant or need her to do some wizarding with numbers, she'd just roll under this skill? I'm cool with this ability; it's an interesting way to try to mechanize backgrounds.

Kythia

Basically, yeah.  Some stuff you'll just know because the skill is over 15%, more complex stuff you'll be rolling for.

Kythia

That would be an independent transaction between yourself and your imaginary friend (there are, incidentally, so many mean comments I could make here).  Kythia takes no responsibility for any damage or loss incurred.

Kythia

Riveda - gimme rolls on Self and Isolation (6 and 4, not that it matters) - I'll end my reply in time for you to give your response to the potential failures but it'll affect precisely how I write this.

Rook Seidhr

Self 6: At 2013-12-08 17:28:47, Riveda (uid: 39199) rolls: 1d100 Result: 45
Success, I pick up a hardened notch.

Isolation 4: At 2013-12-08 17:29:29, Riveda (uid: 39199) rolls: 1d100 Result: 97
Failure, I pick up a failed notch.

For complex rules reasons I really would rather it had been the other way around but oh well.