Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssss... (Pratchett fans read)

Started by Callie Del Noire, March 18, 2011, 04:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Terry Pratchett's Going Postal (Sky One Trailer) [New Extended]

My friend twisted the blade by pointing out he kept is UK region dvd drive.. BASTARD!! <shakes first!>

Callie Del Noire

And.. somoene made the entire movie into 15 minute segments on youtube..starting here..

Terry Pratchett's Going Postal Part 1

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Remiel on March 31, 2011, 12:22:24 PM
You, sir, are a saint for finding this.

Repayment will be accepted in you doing a game. :D

Remiel

You know, I just realized something.  It seems like all of the Terry Pratchett fans I know (with the possible exception of Oniya) are male.  I wonder why this is?

Oniya

I'd say I'm a definite exception.  ;)

I think it might be something about the style of humor.  For some reason, I find that the demographic on this side of the pond that appreciates Pratchett (and Monty Python, for that matter) is more heavily male than female.  It's not completely exclusive - the other ladies in my old gaming group were also fans of both - but it's similar to the science fiction 'male-heavy' demographic.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Remiel on March 31, 2011, 04:10:16 PM
You know, I just realized something.  It seems like all of the Terry Pratchett fans I know (with the possible exception of Oniya) are male.  I wonder why this is?

I know of a few. Sadly all are in committed relationships or criminally too young for me. I took all the books out of the base library they were shutting down and 'salted'  the squadron book stacks.  Got three female aircrewmen addicted. But that was years ago

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Remiel on March 31, 2011, 11:13:12 PM
Remiel thoroughly approves of this action.

Callie has done this with Honor Harrington books, Nightside books, Discworld, and Hellblazer comics.

Remiel

After having watched Going Postal, I was decently pleased.  They had to radically alter the story in order to adapt it for film, but considering that Pratchett signed off on it (and even had a cameo at the very end) it wasn't too terrible.

I thought Moist Von Lipwig was a little bit too hammy, but the actress who played Adora Belle was exactly how I'd pictured her, and Lord Vetinari was perfect.

Callie Del Noire

Another Random Quote

QuoteIn fact, the mere act of opening the box will determine the state of the cat, although in this case there were three determinate states the cat could be in: these being Alive, Dead, and Bloody Furious.
-- Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

Aside from an obvious sequel to Going Postal (Making Money) what else could they do in a live action format?

Remiel

I've always wanted to see one based on the witches.  Wyrd Sisters, perhaps, or Carpe Jugulum.   I imagine that there are no shortage of potential candidates for Granny Weatherwax, but I have no idea who in the world they'd get to be Nanny Ogg.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Remiel on April 11, 2011, 10:50:25 AM
I've always wanted to see one based on the witches.  Wyrd Sisters, perhaps, or Carpe Jugulum.   I imagine that there are no shortage of potential candidates for Granny Weatherwax, but I have no idea who in the world they'd get to be Nanny Ogg.

The mind boggles..there are DOZENS of excellent actresses who could do Granny.. but not anyone I could think of for Nanny (Visually). After seeing her at Roasts on Comedy Central, Betty White could do the earthy attitude but she's too old. (But not the accent.. I see Nanny with a thick welsh or yorkshire accent)

Callie Del Noire

I stand corrected..

Miriam Margolyes
Tell me that look isn't the 'I've been left alone in a kitchen.. oh Lawes.." that you picture her having in Maskerade.

Remiel

*cackles*  I'd have to see her in action, but she's certainly got the Look.

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 11, 2011, 01:28:09 PM
Antonio Banderas as the transformed Greebo  ;D

Maybe..

He could do that 'sexual assault by walking in the room' vibe.

I recall Miriam Margolyes from a show I saw on BBC American..shes' got the humor and randiness. (Graham something another show)

Thing is..who to get to do Granny.. the actress that played in Red (and the other choice would be the lady that did McGonnygal in Harry Potter)

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 11, 2011, 01:35:56 PM
I recall Miriam Margolyes from a show I saw on BBC American..shes' got the humor and randiness. (Graham something another show)

Don't know about that, but she was in the infamous 'Beer' episode of Blackadder as 'Lady Whiteadder'

QuoteLady Whiteadder: Chairs! You have chairs in your house?
Blackadder: Yes, well...
[she slaps him twice]
Lady Whiteadder: Wicked child! Chairs are the work of Beelzebub! At our house Nathaniel sits on a spike!
Blackadder: And yourself?
Lady Whiteadder: I sit on Nathaniel! Two spikes would be an extravagance.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 11, 2011, 01:35:56 PM
and the other choice would be the lady that did McGonnygal in Harry Potter

That's who I would think instinctively off for the role.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Callie Del Noire

Ah... Rowan Atkinson

How many characters in a Pratchett novel could he pull off?

Remiel

One of the wizards, definitely, or CMOT Dibbler.

I've got one for you: Nobby Nobbs.

Remiel

Scratch that, for Atkinson.  He'd have to be the Bursar. Definitely the Bursar.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Remiel on April 11, 2011, 02:40:05 PM
Scratch that, for Atkinson.  He'd have to be the Bursar. Definitely the Bursar.

He could do Busar.. few others could. but....

he could also pull off..

CMOT Dibbler
Rincewind
Nobby
Gaspode (the voice)
and countless others.

how about.. Leonardo De Quirm?

Major Major

Well, I saw Going Postal over Easter Weekend. And you know something?

It was.... not what I was expecting.

Don't get me wrong, Charles Dance and Richard Coyle were wonderfully cast as the Patrician and Moist von Lipwig; but some of the changes to the storyline seemed out of step with the setting, such as the way that Adora Belle Dearheart acted in such a spiteful and petty way after Moist confessed to her; or the way that Moist was recieving visions of his past wrong-doings. And the way that David Suchet played Reacher Gilt was far too over the top and pantomime...

Callie Del Noire

Terry Pratchett: Shaking Hands with Death

Sir Terry is a definitely got an outlook on this.

Note: I also have a personal interest in this as my great aunt Dot had Alzheimer's and my grandmother MIGHT have started to suffering if she hadn't died to stroke related issues. I know my great uncle Buck was very stoic man who never complained over the years of care he undertook on her behalf.

I gave as much as I could to the Alzheimer's research societies over the years and it's sad to see someone like my great aunt or grandmother who helped shaped me into the person I am. I recall fondly more than one weekend afternoon shucking beans while asking questions and listening to things that made me consider things and how my role as a person was in society. My grandmother as much as Robert Heinlen shaped my belief that a citizen's first responsibility is to vote.

And because you need a bit of humor with life... I offer.. Sir Terry telling a dirty joke!
Terry Pratchett tells a dirty joke