Game Protagonists at War: The Second Frontier (Seeking 2 new players)

Started by BruceTheCat, January 31, 2024, 04:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceTheCat

Hi everyone and welcome to our recruitment thread. See the main board here!

We are aiming to soft reboot our game and add 2-3 new players. If interested, please continue reading!
The Story

Nearly a century has passed since the terrifying organization known as The Legion began to systematically invade, and conquer the major Video Game home worlds. The first assault decimated the world of Hyrule, the once ancient castle twisted and morphed into the seat of power for the Council of Villains and their armies. Since then the dark armies spider webbed out, lead by powerful enemies to bring every world under their control. Video Game heroes, or Protagonists soon realized that they were no match for the combined might of not only a unfamiliar enemy, but more than a single Boss Villain.

Protagonists attempted several counter attacks, but to no success. With each conquered world, The Legion acquired countless rare and powerful artifacts that allowed them a significant edge in battle. The Council of Villains also seemed to never use what could be considered 'familiar' enemies to take one home world. The greatest examples of this strategy being when Diablo conquered Mario World in a single day with the use of his monstrous demons. Or how Master Chief was forced into retreat after nearly a solid year against the combined might of both Bowser and Dark Samus.

In more recent years teams of Protagonists have begun to fight back. However their resistance is just that, a resistance to what seems to be an inevitable defeat. Can the Protagonists, the good guys, turn the tide of battle and defeat the Legion and their armies?

The Game

Hello everyone! Game Protagonists at war is one of the Big Game Status games here on E that has been around for several years. The premise is that all player characters are video game characters who are part of the Protagonist Alliance. A military organization which represents the resistance of the protagonists against the villains. The overall idea is that the players will band together and systematically take back home worlds while exposing the larger plot of The Legion and the Council of Villains. I really like this concept primarily because it allows us to have fight scenes, and character interaction between people from vastly different video game canons. I feel confident that we can have a equal mixture of action/adventure.

The group is working to get some momentum back into the game, so with that in mind we've decided to launch a soft reboot. Our game will begin on the Cyberpunk Home World, where our Protagonist heroes have been placed in a maximum security prison within Night City. Their captors are the villains from the Wolfenstein Home World, Nazi soldiers with oil-punk weaponry and machines of war - as well as their superior Boss Villain, Mecha-Hitler.

We are looking to recruit 2-3 new players who would join our game of 7(ish) veterans who have been around mostly since the game's conception.

The Heroes and Villains

You can pick any character you want to. The option is even open for you to pick semi-well known characters or even your own creation! The only requirement when making your own creation is that we may be a bit more specific on particular traits that are made up. They also still have to come from a particular video game world - if you do decide to create your own OC. Other than that, there are particular characters that you can't play, but if you state which character you're interested in before rolling a sheet, we will let you know if it's available. As for picking an already established character from a video game, you can also fudge bits and pieces of their backstory to make them make sense for this plot. The world is your oyster! Feel free to be creative and have fun!

You can play villains in stories, you're just going to have to describe how they left the Legion (that's the alliance will all the villains) and decided to join the protagonists (the good guys)!

The Powers

There are a few important notes to keep in mind. First, all video game characters are immortal age and looks wise. They are basically frozen physically in the state of their initial creation. On top of this they are extremely hard to kill. Link could take a sword through the chest, and though he'd be down for a fair deal of time, eventually it would heal. The only things that can destroy a video game character would be decapitation, or instantaneous destruction. Protagonist bodies are extremely resilient though, so you can imagine how hard this would be to pull off. Hence why so many of them are still alive. If you choose to play a video game character that is fundamentally immortal, or cannot be decapitated (Kirby) we can discuss some weakness through PM.

You are also welcome to play a monster-type character, and choose for them to appear human. All Protagonists and Villain's share certain powers. One of these powers is the ability to turn into a humanoid version of their character. That way you can travel more easily, and converse or have sex without it being crazy weird.

Understand that every video game character is concerned to be roughly at the same strength level of all others. Meaning if you decide to play Dante from Devil May Cry, you could get your ass beat by Dr. Robotnik or The Reapers in a fight.

Lastly, each video game character (Protagonist or Villain) have the essence of their home world inside of them. At no detriment to themselves, they can transfer part of this essence into others. In doing so, that person is able to freely travel to and from that world. This is how you guys as players will be able to liberate major worlds.

The Combat and System
For combat we don't use a dice system of any sort, it is totally freeform but with some hard rules. The cycle goes like this - GM makes post with a villain doing something, they may or may not have that something deal damage to the player. Then the players write their post, reacting to the GM post and indicating what they do in response, while making a special point not to indicate the result of their maneuver. The GM will read the post, determine for themselves the result based on several factors (power level, ingenuity, etc.), and include the result in their response post. Around and around we go until the fight ends!

We do have a progression system in the game. It works like this - When characters kill a Boss Villain, or Sub-Boss, they will have two options at their disposal:
  • They may absorb one of the villains powers. If Princess Peach beats Pyramid Head the player for Princess Peach could choose to get Pyramid Head's cleaver, which could have some cool powers. Note, the players get to design them! They just have to seek GM approval
  • The player may choose instead to use the power to "upgrade" one of their existing powers. What form that upgrade takes is up to the player! They just need to seek GM approval

The road so far..
You might be wondering, what has happened in the game in the nearly 10 years since it started? Well quite a lot. Fortunately we are going to account for that with new players and everyone will work to bring you up to speed. Seriously, you would have a hard time finding a group as kind and helpful as this RP group.

The summary of it is that the characters went on the offensive against the Legion. We've battled in the Forbidden Prison, we sailed the sky seas of Arcadia to defeat the mechanical army of Shodan, we defended New York in the real world from a Legion assault. Our existing canon, while awesome as fuck, won't negatively impact any new player who is joining fresh. Anything you don't know we can tell you.

The Sex

We embrace relationships and smut scenes! The only thing is - we do not have threads dedicated to smut. Since we're already Big Game Status, we don't really stress about the amount of posts we're putting in the thread. To be respectable, please make threads that are not in the Game Protagonist Board with your solo romantic/smut scenes with other players.

The Rules

First off - don't God Mod. Second off - if you're going to be gone from a Main Story Thread, please notify us so we're not waiting on you. You can post as much as you like otherwise. If you leave without giving us any information - you are also allowing the GMs to do what we want with your character. We do not have a posting order because I don't want those available to be waiting on posts from those not available.

There are also a few links you may familiarize yourself with:

Code of Conduct
Rules

The Character Sheets

A lot of this will be self-explanatory if you choose a more famous video game character. What I am primarily interested in is what your character has been doing since the invasion of The Legion. I am going to allow everyone to determine what happened to their own world. Whether it was conquered or not yet, occupied or completely destroyed. In rare circumstances will I intervene if I have something planned for that specific character's world. I will be playing in this game as well, but will hold off on picking a character.

Feel free to post your character sheets in this thread.

CodeSelect Expand

[center][size=12pt][b]Name Here[b][/size][/center]

[float=right][img padding=10]Character Image Here, Duh[/img][/float]

[float=right][img padding=10]Human appearance if monster[/img][/float] *Not required*

[b]Current Occupation:[/b] [Your character's current day job. Nothing that pays too well, remember they're not supposed to start out rich.]

[b]Home World Information:[/b]

[b]Appearance/Style Description:[/b] *You can make your appearance more modern, or completely different from the game character. Also, feel free to add something changing how they look to make them more physically attractive.

[b]Sexuality[/b]: (List your O&O if there is something specific)

[b]Personality:[/b] [The most important part. Try to make it interesting and believable.]

[b]History:[/b]

[b]Current Situation:[/b]

[b]Weapon:[/b] You may have a weapon that is not in your canon, just explain it in your backstory. Maybe you picked it up while helping to defend another home world. For instance of Mario wanted to have a Covenant Plasma Sword. Go nuts.

[img]Flavor image[/img]

[b]Stats[/b] - We have 5 different stats in the game. We do not roll for hitting, or use it to track health. The purpose of these stats is [i]only[/i] to help the GMs during the free-form fights. We have a better gauge of how strong you are, versus how strong another character is. And vice versa. New characters will start with 4 points to spend. Strength, Agility, Stamina, and Power will all start at 1. Reputation starts at 0. If you have an issue - please contact any of the GMs or post in one of our OOC threads - and one of our players will help you out!

[i]Strength[/i] - How hard you hit, critical hit, bench, etc. "Strength" is a relative term. If you are a projectile user, your bullets or arrow damage would be tied to your Strength. Think of this as the Strength of your basic attacks
[i]Agility[/i] - Your dexterity, maneuverability, and fighting prowess
[i]Stamina[/i] - How well you take damage, and how long you can go without being knocked unconscious or killed
[i]Power[/i] - How strong your non-physical powers are, and how long before they grow weak during a fight. Magic, Ki, Energy, all non-Strength related resources would factor into this stat. Think of this as the strength of your special attacks.
[i]Reputation[/i] - How well you are known in the Protagonist, and Legion organization. The higher your reputation, the greater your influence and chance of side scenes occurring for you that are story related. If you believe that your character has been involved in the fight against the Legion for a fair deal of time, and would be known about for their battles and deeds during this war, then this is that stat which reflects that renown. Please note, this stat has nothing to do with how famous, or popular your character is in video game history.

[b]Special Powers:[/b] You may feel free to invent a appropriate amount of custom powers for your character, that fit with their theme and game. I would not pick more than 3.

[b]Strengths:[/b] This can be anything, related or not related to your character's fighting abilities. My recommendation would be to pick 2 things that make you a badass Protagonist, and 2 things that are not related to combat.

[b]Weaknesses:[/b] This can also be anything, but note that [b]you must[/b] have at least 1 combat weakness. Try to shy away from just having personality related weaknesses, these need to be actual limitations of your character that can be used in the story. If you would like to PM me for discussion on this, because you want it to be a story element that's fine! Or potentially something related to your artifact weapon or home world.
“Also I've seen that movie, if they're any similar to it, then those guns do not fuck around, please take cover“
- scribus1000

Kadigan

I'm quite interested, I believe I was in a short lived villains version of this a while back. May I ask if there's an up to date taken character list? 

BruceTheCat

Best point of reference would be this thread

It's not 100% accurate. If you see a taken character that you like, feel free to ask - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=211209.0
“Also I've seen that movie, if they're any similar to it, then those guns do not fuck around, please take cover“
- scribus1000

MightyMaiden

I would be interested in playing Harley Quinn (Injustice), which I see was retired but not reclaimed. If that is accurate?

BruceTheCat

- scribus1000

MightyMaiden

BruceTheCat

Updating post to reflect that we are only seeking 2 new players
- scribus1000

Callie Del Noire

I’d like to play my female V character. A Corpo combat hacker with monowire. 

MightyMaiden

Harley Quinn

Current Occupation: Budget Therapist/Psychiatrist trying to reform and make up for her former evil ways, but despite being an excellent doctor, she struggles with bedside manner and telling people what they should hear rather than that which will help them.

Home World Information: Currently residing in Gotham after the invasion of Brainiac, she settled there after recovering from her injuries sustained during the battle for the world. The world is rebuilding after the invasion, and trust of supers is sketchy after the long and involved history of abuse by powered individuals that has plagued the world, leaving both Gotham and Metropolis in particular in ruins.

Appearance/Style Description: With a pale white face, dark eye shadow and crimson lips, she wears her blonde hair in matching pig-tails with the ends dipped in one red, one blue dye. Her athletic frame sports a red and black leather outfit featuring a jacket, gloves, corset and distinctively tight pants with calf-height motorcycle-style boots. A belt hangs from her hips carrying ammo and is connected to thigh strap holsters for her guns. She often wears a pair of old motorcycle goggles in her hair.

Sexuality: Bi-sexual, having married both Joker and Ivy at different times.

Personality: A woman who is more in need of her services than any of her patients. Harley has had a tumultuous past and struggled with which side of the team she is on, while dealing with the vast psychological damage caused by her former relationship with Mistah J. While she is doing her best to be the hero many believe she can be, much of her former wildness still exists ever so close to, if not peeking above the surface. She is prone to speak her mind regardless of appropriateness and will give her opinion whenever she sees fit. She is a masochist, and bordering on a sadist, but often doesn't see her opponents as human enough to experience pain and anguish. She wants to be good, she never wants to see Mistah J again, but she also won't put up with people sullying his memory. She may hate him, but he's hers to hate, nobody else's.
While some people can calm her down, she is prone to rash and uncontrolled behaviour if triggered not unlike a berserker rage.

History: Graduating from Gotham's University with a degree in Psychology she was given the chance to work on Joker in Arkham Asylum. Once upon a time, she was a rather stable woman, but the fascination with Joker infected her brain. Trying to find the trick to healing Joker's insanity made her drive directly in the same path of insanity. The woman spent many years trying to either lure Batman out of hiding, trying to sneak in to visit Joker while he was in Arkham Asylum and try and help him escape. She too herself has been the subject of trying to escape out of Arkham Asylum. She stayed a loyal companion to Joker's side for many years and did anything that Mista J ever asked of her. After the Joker was killed by Superman her life became vastly more complex, bouncing between both sides of things until she landed, more or less on the heroic side.

Current Situation: She's living in Metropolis, donning a costume at night and trying to be a hero alongside others, occasionally venturing to Gotham, but she struggles there with the memories of the Joker and the emotions it brings out. She hasn't found a new Mista J, but she's joined a rag-tag group of heroes fighting for the good. It's just what she wants to do to get back at Mista J and she wants to show off that she can be a strong woman without him.

Weapon:
Heavy solid wooden bat with distinctive red and black grip tape,
- A replacement for the one given to her by Mista J, this wooden bat is wielded with vengeance and almost certainly has something other than wood in its core. When not in use the bat straps to the back of her jacket.
Dual Pistols
- A pair of matched semi-automatic .357 handguns with additional ammo in her belt.
Concussive Confectionery
- She will occasionally bring out icing-topped cupcakes which are explosive grenades with a fuse.

Stats -

Strength - 2
Agility - 3
Stamina - 2
Power - 1
Reputation - 0

Special Powers:
Go Night Night - Harley Pulls a giant comically huge mallet out of pocket space which she uses to smash upon opponents for a brief time before the weapon vanishes. Can only be summoned once per boss fight.

Strengths:
Very Limber
- Her body is slender, flexible, and has a lot of bounce. She is commonly considered a world-class Gymnast.

Problem Solver
- Harley is great at last minute coming up with a solution to any situation and pivoting on a dime. This comes from the need to constantly improvise along side the madness that is Mista J.

High Pain Tolerance
- Masochism was sort of a requirement for being Mista J's squeeze and the woman can handle quite a bit of pain. Not a lot brings her down and it's clear that she actually enjoys it and it fuels her strength.

Weaknesses:
Mental Instability
-She can get distracted and sometimes this doesn't work in her favour. Classic ADHD attention span and might very well walk over to check out a nice set of shoes in the middle of a fight.

Easily Influenced
-Lacks a backbone. If she looks up to someone - she worships them and will do anything that they request for her.

Once a badgirl, Always a badgirl
-People don't trust her. Even if she is trying her best to be a better person. People are always going to be (probably rightly)suspicious of her and hesitate before giving her responsibility

BruceTheCat

You accidentally shorted yourself points! Those top stats start at 1 before you start adding your points 
- scribus1000

MightyMaiden

OOh, I thought you got 4 points and 1 each was all you got! 

Fixed

BruceTheCat

I think you could get away with making her Powers a bit stronger. Maybe make the mallet permanent, or add another power?
- scribus1000

BruceTheCat

We've got two character sheets now in the pipe for approval. Closing the recruitment thread
- scribus1000