What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

I'm not opposed to having areas that are inaccessible due to high-level enemies, but ... come on, I'm at a complete loss here. I can't do the main story, because then I'm going to get my ass kicked not long into it because I'm too weak. I can't really just walk around and do my own thing either because my party members keep pestering me, and I keep running into things I can't kill. Yet people complain about leveling enemies and equipment. This is the alternative, people. Endless frustration!

I really should l2 AD&D, though. This system is incomprehensible to me. I know enough to play the game, but ... come on. Character creation is a nightmare! It's also silly. I get that this is based on the pen and paper RPG, but is it really necessary to have a system where I roll to determine my stats? Why would I ever accept anything less than the maximum number of points I can get ... and anything other than 18/00 strength or WHATEVER. GOD.

I feel like a failure. A nerd who doesn't know his D&D. ._.

Lirliel

Alright. Where are you right now?

Because normally, if you start a BG game you start with something 'easy', so a Fighter.

You go through the tutorial, do EVERYTHING, you'll need the stuff. Then head outside with Gorion, watch cut-scene cry manly tears.

Then take Immy and head to the FAA (No not that FAA), collect Jaheira & Khalid, buy a Stone to Flesh scroll, (You'll need it for your cleric, who doesn't have a side-quest!)

Then go Bandit hunting, use tactics, so place Fighters, Khalid/Yourself, up from, Jaheira to Heal/Buff/Fight as well. And equip Immy with a Bow, stealth her, have her tag one of the bandits. Lure him back. Kill him, rinse & repeat. Level up to.. about 4/5, then go south. If you recruit Minsc, make sure you're strong enough for the Gnoll keep because it's hella hard if your not strong enough yet. Even so, same tactic, hit & lure back.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Hemingway

I actually did the gnoll keep at level 1.

Anyway, I'm going to try that. I never went bandit hunting, much less leveled up that far before going south. Mainly because Jaheira keeps pestering me. Be quiet! You were much more pleasant in BG2. Which is saying a lot!

... yeah, BG2 was a lot easier. Maybe it's because you start at a much higher level, but ... all the same.

Lirliel

And very much yes, well unless you take the Tactics mod for BG2 then everything get ramped up to "Omg why did I install this mod again"-mode.

Also, Mages in BG= Party death Mages in BG2= Everyone dead.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Geeklet

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Lirliel on March 31, 2011, 11:03:42 AM
And very much yes, well unless you take the Tactics mod for BG2 then everything get ramped up to "Omg why did I install this mod again"-mode.

Also, Mages in BG= Party death Mages in BG2= Everyone dead.

I noticed. My Wild Mage, when he wasn't accidentally turning himself into a woman, was pretty good at taking care of things. I fondly remember the time I got into a duel, cast disintegrate and got the double strength thing. Twice as instantly dead!

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on March 31, 2011, 03:13:34 PM
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/

Made me think of Wolfy and I don't know why. ^u^

Hey, I love my 3DS. :/

Sure, I only have ONE 3DS game that I was interested in, Super Street Fighter IV 3D, but still...I love it! :D I can plays pokemans and Okami-den on it...and that's enough until Zelda comes out.

Also...

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=300

Made me think of Inki for some reason. I don't know why.

Maybe because he's a genius at marketing?

Wolfy

Tonalberry

Been playing Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2: Retribution, as the Tyranid campaign.  Swarming across the map, consuming delicious biomass.

Brandon

I think you were spot on Inkidu, thats very much like wolfy  ;D

Since there havnt been any recent games Ive been interested in since DOW2 Retribution Ive gone old school again, pulled out the PS2, and put in the epic God of war. Its such an awesome game, I just wish its sequels were never made
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hemingway

I just bought the Arrival for ME2.

I hear it's short, but ... fuck it. It's Mass Effect. It is the greatest game of all time!

Edit: Well, that was short, and as much as people have complained about the AI in ME, being on your own sucks a lot. It wasn't nearly as good as Lair of the Shadow Broker ( which isn't surprising, as that was probably the best DLC I've played for any game ). That said, it does bridge the gap, it does put into perspective the urgency of the Reaper threat, and anyone who claims to be more than a casual Mass Effect fan needs to ... well, at least know the plot!

Wolfy

Picked up Diablo II, it's expansion, and Samurai Warriors Chonicles today. Sweeeeeeeet.

Hemingway

Here's another great example of why "classic" games being superior to modern ones is no more than a nostalgia-induced fantasy: I'm playing Baldur's Gate, I'm murdering my way through several levels of a mine, until finally I get to what seems like the end ... well and good, but I'm short on healing potions, and I can't rest in the mines so I have no spells. I decide to explore the room I'm in, and find ... a way out! Great. I go outside, rest, heal my party, rest again, save, before heading back in. Or ... so I thought. It turns out, you can't go back in that way.

*Headdesk.*

Wolfy

If you're saying that Zelda: A link to the past and Final Fantasy 6 are no superior to their future counter parts, you are silly. :p

Anyway..I also bought Killing Floor from steam, since it was on Sale.

Hemingway

You can't really compare those in the same way. Cyan Garamonde's moustache alone is enough to vindicate FF6.

Unfortunately, I can't really compare those to newer games, because ... SNES FF games are the only ones I've ever played, and have any desire to play. I'm not sure FF6 is my favorite, though. FF4 is pretty great, too, aside from the ... ending, which I have no doubt they wrote under the influence of some seriously powerful drugs.

Still, those aren't perfect games, and I could think of many ways in which they could be made more accessible.

Wolfy

Oh yeah?

Pong.

Think of a way that could have been better.

Two sticks. and a Ball.

:D

...or Super Mario Bros.

Geeklet

As far as the dungeon exit thing goes... Save often, and in multiple places.

Sabby

Quote from: Wolfy on April 01, 2011, 09:25:16 PM
If you're saying that Zelda: A link to the past and Final Fantasy 6 are no superior to their future counter parts, you are silly. :p

Anyway..I also bought Killing Floor from steam, since it was on Sale.

Dude. Twilight Princess destroys Ocarina of Time, and TP isn't even anything special. The only reason older games are held above their newer incarnations is because of what Hemingway brought up, Nostalgia, and probably a bit of bitterness at current era gaming as a whole.

Wolfy

For those interested:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2985-Gamification

:D This is a really good series that discusses the video game industry as well as the impact that games can have on our lives.

Hemingway

What do you mean "impact on our lives"? It is my life, sad as that may be.

Wyrd

pretty much tired of the online play for Halo reach around. Been plating CoD 4 a lot lately, as well as some Dead space.
Ragtime Dandies!

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on April 02, 2011, 08:36:26 AM
What do you mean "impact on our lives"? It is my life, sad as that may be.

Just watch, you'll see....this week's topic was Gamification, or taking aspects of games (Leveling up, Achievements, etc) and applying them to our daily lives to make it not so..boring.

Sel Nar

Still playing Guild Wars. Also Playing InFamous (again) and World of Tanks (I have a Tiger II and a big gun pointing at.... anyone I want)

Wolfy