Shadows of Miskatonic University (Hunter: The Vigil 2e, recruiting)

Started by Dakkon, December 31, 2015, 08:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakkon

September, 2015

Thunder rolls. Rain pounds against the glass. Trees creak outside. The city of Arkham, Massachusetts sits with the Miskatonic River running through it, currently in high flood. This city is also the abode of the prestigious Miskatonic University, possibly the greatest academic institution in the Americas. It is a place to drama, adventure, and discovery. It is also everything you live and breathe, your second (or, if you are a freshman, only) home.

Not all is well in on the campus though. Whispered chants stalk the halls. Something not properly alive wakes every night. Howls carry on the autumn wind. You knew this already though. You are a Hunter, a carrier of the Vigil. It is by your Aegis that the innocents ignorant of the supernatural sleep easy.

A new mystery, and with it a new cell, is now taking shape. Professor Julia Cain, of the department of antiquities, has sent you a letter pleading for your help finding a missing friend and colleague of hers, Dr. Brenda West, an ancient but brilliant biochemist. She elaborates little in her letter, but alludes that this may have something to do with Brenda’s Father, a man named Herbert West, who disappeared in shortly before World War II....

System: Chronicles of Darkness (formerly New World of Darkness second edition)
Gameline: Hunter: the Vigil. This game will be crossover friendly, and there is the possibility of the Hunters becoming the very monsters they hunt, if someone wants to take the story there.
Genre: Personal Horror
What I’m Looking For: I’ve been off E for a while, so this is just an interest check for the time being. If it looks like folks are jonesing for this game, I’ll set a deadline for characters to be submitted by. I’m looking for about 3-4 people who are able to post regularly outside of combat situations. As this a Chronicles game, I fully intent to focus on the roleplaying over the fighting.

Compacts: Players may be a part of any compact, although note that I have a slightly different interpretation of the Ashwood Abbey where they react… poorly.. to both rapists and cannibals. Characters may be a part of more than one compact, although the sum of Status within all compacts cannot go above five.
Conspiracies: Players may not begin as a part of conspiracy, although they will have an opportunity to join them as the game progresses.
Tactics: Tactics will be purchasable once the cell as completed a couple of scenes together.
Character Creation: As normal for mortals except…
Each character gets one free dot of professional training, to represent the role they play at the university. This could be anything from a student to a professor, to an athelete, to a librarian, to a security guard. I’m not picky.
Each character gains one free dot of status in a Compact of their choice. If they are not part of compact already, this dot can be held in reserve to allow them to join one (note that this means you can play a Hunter that has not joined a compact, or you could play some poor fuck who knows nothing about the supernatural and has been roped into something way over their heads).
Aspirations: Please select three short-term and one long term aspiration.

RP Considerations
: I’m going to rate this game as Exotic NC to cover all bases, but let me make it clear now that Non Con is not something I allow my players to participate in in my games. Sex can very likely happen in this game, but it has to make sense in terms of the story. Please respect me, your fellow players, and the people your characters represent in this game, or I will ask to part ways with you. Ditto if you don’t post or participate outside of combat.

What I need from you: Stats, background, breaking points, personality, and a photo of your character for the map.

If you have any questions, or if I forgot anything, please let me know.

wander

Interested!

I'm reminded about the open dev for Hunter 2e atm, I have a mortal sheet ready to go, whenever you'd like to see them. :)

Dakkon

Quote from: wander on December 31, 2015, 10:50:39 PM
Interested!

I'm reminded about the open dev for Hunter 2e atm, I have a mortal sheet ready to go, whenever you'd like to see them. :)
Open Dev would be a large reason for this to exist. Please link to or post your character sheet once it's ready :)

Blinkin

This sounds interesting, but I've never seen the system and know next to nothing about the world... so it could be an interesting fit for a way over the head character who doesn't even know that there is a supernatural world...

Down side, I would need big help to create a character and learning the basics... and I can't provide a photo. Would these be huge problems and would someone be willing to walk me through the process?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Dakkon

Quote from: Blinkin on January 01, 2016, 06:28:57 AM
This sounds interesting, but I've never seen the system and know next to nothing about the world... so it could be an interesting fit for a way over the head character who doesn't even know that there is a supernatural world...

Down side, I would need big help to create a character and learning the basics... and I can't provide a photo. Would these be huge problems and would someone be willing to walk me through the process?
Photo's no issue for you. The system shouldn't be a huge problem, but it could be a hiccup.

Blinkin

*Jumps and shouts Boo!*

Cure the hiccups? ;)

I'm generally a quick learner and keep copous notes so that I usually only have to ask a question once. But, if it'll be a significant problem, I'll withdraw interest. I would rather a group have a good time than add problems to it.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

wander

Quote from: FallenDabus on December 31, 2015, 11:44:24 PM
Open Dev would be a large reason for this to exist. Please link to or post your character sheet once it's ready :)

Cool, the guy is done and he's a standard Mortal character. I'll make the slight adaptations to make him a Hunter, such as additions of Compact Status and Professional Training as stated.

Also... Props to the Herbert West: Reanimator reference. Perhaps not one of Lovecraft's best works, but I like the link to the Cthulhu mythos going on with that plot thread. :)

ChaoticSky

Dakkon

Quote from: Blinkin on January 01, 2016, 01:40:26 PM
*Jumps and shouts Boo!*

Cure the hiccups? ;)

I'm generally a quick learner and keep copous notes so that I usually only have to ask a question once. But, if it'll be a significant problem, I'll withdraw interest. I would rather a group have a good time than add problems to it.
How about we keep an eye on how much interest there is then? In the meanwhile, I'll see if there isn't something I can find to help you with character creation.

Quote from: wander on January 01, 2016, 03:35:51 PM
Cool, the guy is done and he's a standard Mortal character. I'll make the slight adaptations to make him a Hunter, such as additions of Compact Status and Professional Training as stated.

Also... Props to the Herbert West: Reanimator reference. Perhaps not one of Lovecraft's best works, but I like the link to the Cthulhu mythos going on with that plot thread. :)
Thanks. It's not all going to be Cthulhu Mythos, Chronicles has more than enough to keep us going, but they'll be there in the background. Herbert West is neat too since there are many ways to interpret what he did.

Quote from: ChaoticSky on January 01, 2016, 08:22:02 PM
Wow. Neat. Id love to get in on this.
Awesome! Toss up a character sheet then!