Dresdenverse: An Urban Fantasy game (Interest Check!)

Started by Sephora, July 17, 2014, 09:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sephora

The world as you know it is incorrect.  Nearly all the things you see in those fantasy books on your shelf are real...just not in the way you would think.   The real world is a wonderful, magical, and terrifying place.  Wizards exist.  Vampires exist.  Hell, faeries exist.  You don't have to continue hearing about this, most people don't.  It would amaze you just how easy it is to turn and look the other way and never see the world for what it is.  Or maybe there is no going back for you.  Maybe you already know about the world hidden inside of our own because you are a part of it.  Maybe you are a magic user, a vampire, a fae, someone is not-exactly-hiding in plain sight. 

Dum-de-de-da!!

It's a Game set in the Dresdenverse! 

This is a basic interest check to see if anyone would be interested in playing out a group game set in the universe of the Dresden Files.  While the setting would take place in the Dresden Universe, we would just be playing without any Canon characters or specific in-book events having took place.  I feel like it would generally make things simpler.  It also means that anyone who hasn't read the books, or anyone who hasn't finished all of them, would still be welcome and able to play. 

I will be acting Gm, with Wisdomcube316 working as my minion Co-gm. 

So....anyone interested? 

Character proposal section can be found here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=209175.0

Kadigan

I actually had a character for a previous dresden game, expressing an interest.

Sephora

That's great!  Glad to have you on board.  :)  I figure that we will test the waters a bit and see how much of an interest there is, and enough people show up I will create a character proposal thread. 

RampantDesires

I have wanted to play a pixie in the Dresden-verse for, well, it feels like forever now :P but most GMs find the idea a bit too ... "silly" for their group. 

Either way I'm still interested, but if being a pixie is on the table quadruply so!

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Sephora

No such thing as too silly.  I will admit I was going to base everything off of the Dresden RPG book, so I am hesitant to approve the idea right off the bat...Let's take a look at your character concept before anything is set in stone.  Fair?

bubby

I could so get into either Mab-ish or even Leanansidhe-esque. Currently just started reading Skin Games. Color me possibly interested.

Craz

I would certainly be interested! Love the Dresdenverse, and I've got a few character ideas that could be fun.

ElvenKitten

Interested might be in too many games already though  :-(

Dizzied

I recently read skin game and have been dying for a Dresden Files game. ^_^

Are you planning to run this freeform? Or use the Dresden Files FATE rpg system? I've played it, I thought it was very fun, but the system takes a little learning for those not familiar with FATE.

Sephora

Whoot!  Glad So many appear to be interested!  I'll take it as a good sign for things to come. 

Quote from: Dizzied on July 18, 2014, 06:29:27 AM

Are you planning to run this freeform? Or use the Dresden Files FATE rpg system? I've played it, I thought it was very fun, but the system takes a little learning for those not familiar with FATE.

This is a very good question.  Wisdom and I were discussing the pro's and cons in of the system.  I am thinking of making it be freeform for now, just because I don't know how many people have access to the rulebook. 

There is going to be a character vetting process everyone will be involved with, so I'm not too worried about overpowered characters and whatnot. 

RampantDesires:  Would a half pixie be acceptable? 

VonDoom

Hmm. I have been hoping for a reason to actually read up on FATE. How 'up to date' with the books is the RPG system and how encompassing? For example, would a Denarian be workable within its frame?
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Sephora

Here is a list of playable character templates according to the book:

true mortal
Champion of God
Changeling (I.E Ogre blooded or half-pixie)
Emissary of Power
Focused Practitioner
Knight of a Faerie Court
Lycanthrope
Minor Talent
Red Court Infected
Sorcerer
True Believer
Were-form
White Court Vampire
White Court Virgin
Wizard

I think I am going to side with the book on this one, and limit players to these options.  If anyone wants more information about any single one, or just wants more information, just ask.  I'm in the process of creating the character proposal thread for this game now.   :-)

VonDoom

Without any familiarity with the RPG, just going by the names ... I see no actual Order of the Blackened Denarius in there, but 'Emissary of Power' sounds rather like a catch-all template. I'll have to read up on the system later.

O&O

Sephora

Yeah, Emissary of Power is kind of a catch-all.  They are mortals who have suddenly found themselves -for whatever reason- tied to one of the biggies in the Supernatural world.  They can tap into the power of their 'patron' usually with a token item, but it comes with a huge and painful cost.  If someone chooses to be an Emissary of Power, then they are the mercy at whatever being they made a pact with (Vis-a-vis they will be at my complete mercy). 

Ron Don Volante

I believe something like the Order of the Blackened Denarius would fall under Emissary of Power. And yes, you can think of the Dresden Files RPG as a "fork" of the FATE system to use nerdy IT terms.
My character and plot repository

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat about my or your characters, plots, your work or anything that interests you.

DoctorRed

I'm interested!~

I've even got the .pdf files (somewhere)  and stuff, and can help people work on it, if they're interested.
On's and Off's~? 
On's and Off's~!

Crash

Quote from: bubby on July 18, 2014, 02:45:24 AM
I could so get into either Mab-ish or even Leanansidhe-esque. Currently just started reading Skin Games. Color me possibly interested.

Really enjoyed Skin Game.  I may have interest.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

RampantDesires

Quote from: Sephora on July 18, 2014, 08:27:00 AM
Whoot!  Glad So many appear to be interested!  I'll take it as a good sign for things to come. 

This is a very good question.  Wisdom and I were discussing the pro's and cons in of the system.  I am thinking of making it be freeform for now, just because I don't know how many people have access to the rulebook. 

There is going to be a character vetting process everyone will be involved with, so I'm not too worried about overpowered characters and whatnot. 

RampantDesires:  Would a half pixie be acceptable?

Not really interested in playing a changeling. I think I'll just go with a different character concept entirely then.  Have the pdf of the books as well and will kinda flip through it and see what comes out!

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

VonDoom

On second read, the list does leave quite a lot uncovered ... Red Court Infected probably doesn't mean actual Red Court Vampires, nor are there Black Court on there for that matter. No actual Fey.

... pretty sure very few people are going to want to play a Sasquatch, but they're not there either.  ;D

Are there, perhaps, some reasonable fan community expansions, if there are no official ones? Maybe those might be of interest, considering these seem to be working off of a more early-books worldview?

O&O

AndyZ

Putting a spoiler on this post because it's going to have a lot of stuff to explain to Von Doom.  I'm up to Book 11 and I'm interested, and I've played the system before, have the books and would be interested in either freeform or the system.

VonDoom, Order of the Blackened Denarius is way outside the capabilities of a PC in the system, and Red Court Infected means that they haven't killed anyone yet.  I don't remember any sasquatches, but it may well be possible to put one together.

Depending on our Refresh level, I might go with Champion of God or just True Believer.  Wizard can be fun but I've already done one.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Ron Don Volante

The concept of Fate/Free Will is an important motif throughout the books. Mechanically, they handle it by giving characters "fate points" which are similar to Action Points in other games. Mortals have no powers but have a lot of Fate Points to swing fate in their favor. Meanwhile the more powerful magical creatures (including Wizards) "pay" for their powers using those same Fate Points during character creations. So more magical power means less ways to sway fate in your favor. In game terms, if your Action Points go to 0 during the course of the game it's said you've "lost" your character to Fate .

As to why Red/Black Court Vampires and True Fae aren't included, this is likely because they are governed almost entirely by fate and/or creators don't like the fact that having a playable race/class that are basically violent psychopaths. *edited*
My character and plot repository

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat about my or your characters, plots, your work or anything that interests you.

Dizzied

Denarians would probably be an Emmisary of power, although they likely need their own template, akin to Knight of the Cross, to really reflect all they can do. They certainly get an item of power each.

The system also supports 'sponsored magic' which actually gives detailed rules for invoking hellfire and soulfire, so Denarians are probably playable within the existing ruleset. I personally see them as functioning like changelings; they can choose to use some of the power at their disposal, but if they start relying on it, or use too much, they'll quickly find themselves trading free will for a compulsive nature, and thats when they are no longer PC's.

But in the end I think Red/Black court vampires, denarians (who are listed as Supernatural Heavyweights, a few steps below the Faerie Ladies, but still pretty powerful) and things like that are probably best left off the table for PC's. At least, if I was running.

On a side note, I love how the system allows for Pure Mortal characters to compete with the baddies, just like how Karrin can go toe-to-toe with certain monsters in the books. But if we're not using the system, I'll have to think about what I'd want to play...maybe a pure mortal anyway.

VonDoom

Well, we don't even know if we're actually a group or if it's more a self-motivated sandbox-y game like a lot of Vampire the Masquerade ones ... or, well, if we do, I managed to miss it. If I were to propose a Denarian, they would in all likelihood fill an antagonistic role, which doesn't work too well if the group is intended as a friendly alliance, rather than -- well, we know how well some of the supernatural critters play with others.

Seeing as one of the first characters mentioned as inspiration for equivalents were the Leanan Sidhe and Winter Queen, I figured a Denarian might work well and offer plenty of open potential for an evil character that doesn't just mirror what we've already seen from them. Still, it's not like I have to play one if it upsets the RPG system. I just like their style.  >:)

Edit: Okay, saw the new thread ... never mind the antagonistic thing, then!

O&O

bubby