What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sain

This is semi-news with some rant.

With the terrorist attacks leading to deaths mass media is having an even easier time hiding all the non-lethal assaults, rapes and robbery. News have been having fun times swiping most of those completely under the carpet. We see in Sweden that 77% of the rapes are committed by the 2% immigrant minority (sorry, no English source, but you can find sites citing it easily with google). In Norway Oslo all (100%) of the reported rapes were done by immigrants in the last 5 years, and that was 3 years ago! We had in Finland the amount of reported rapes triple from last summer, but that didn't make even the local news.

Yeah... taking in people who will not be able to properly integrate into a super tolerant and trusting community while allowing mosques that preach a death cult version of Islam to go on unchecked is not a good combination. I know there are plenty of moderates, but we do, here in Finland as well, also have imams who will openly admit in a public interview that they support executing all gay people and who knows what more inside the walls of their mosque. Many of them get funding from reeeaallly dubious sources in the Middle East. Not only that our internal intelligence service is so pathetic that we have proportionally ridiculous amounts of people going from here into IS to fight for them. Then the full tolerants scream racism when someone suggests that Islamic organizations in our country be held to similar standard as dangerous Christian cult or far right nationalist movements. Second hand I know that many moderates here are even afraid and really angry of some of the imams that are allowed to operate, but nobody does a thing as the more radicalized sharia supporting view completely stumps the more vulnerable moderate view. Then the full tolerant parties and media keep on ignoring rest of Europe and saying it'll be different than in Sweden and that our immigrants will be special >_> Hell, we have 300~ likely ISIS members here in Finland that are 'under surveillance' and according to a police slip of the tongue in morning news 2800 immigrants who have completely gone under the radar - the police and authorities do not know their identity or location. It of course was quickly pushed out of the media spotlight.

On the lighter side we had a real funny here where the police shut down the service provider of a free media site and our national newspaper celebrated that in a same issue that they condemned Erdogan for censoring press.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Kythia

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 06, 2016, 11:57:48 PM
And Puerto Rico literally completely ran out of money.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/07/business/dealbook/life-in-the-miasma-of-puerto-ricos-debt.html?_r=0

They are at a negative rate and unable to pay anything. With Negative Rent...I didn't even know that was a thing.
Its being compared to how Greece is in the EU.

*screams into pillow* I blame Congress...and the last three Puerto Rican Governors, its not like this happened overnight this was coming for years.

I was paying a negative rent for a few months at my old place. Just a function of how various benefits stack together. Not saying the situation over there isn't bad, just that I don't think that is the thing to be focusing on.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Sain on August 07, 2016, 03:21:04 AM
This is semi-news with some rant.

With the terrorist attacks leading to deaths mass media is having an even easier time hiding all the non-lethal assaults, rapes and robbery. News have been having fun times swiping most of those completely under the carpet. We see in Sweden that 77% of the rapes are committed by the 2% immigrant minority (sorry, no English source, but you can find sites citing it easily with google). In Norway Oslo all (100%) of the reported rapes were done by immigrants in the last 5 years, and that was 3 years ago! We had in Finland the amount of reported rapes triple from last summer, but that didn't make even the local news.
I call misuse of statistics and distortion of truth on those reports.

https://debunkingdenialism.com/2015/12/12/how-anti-immigration-activists-misuse-rape-statistics/

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19592372

http://www.loonwatch.com/2011/12/gil-ronens-fabricated-statistics-about-oslo-rapists-being-all-muslim/

Yes, a Google search for "Oslo rape muslim" turns up a bunch of articles, but, at first glance, I could not find one of them linking to actual crime statistics. Instead they tend to quote each other in a closed continuum of quoting and requoting each other. never a good sign if one looks for the truth.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Kythia

And further the Swedish one specifically notes that the situation hasn't changed for thirty odd years and that being an immigrant isn't the major risk factor in committing crimes.

Sain

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on August 07, 2016, 04:58:55 AM
I call misuse of statistics and distortion of truth on those reports.

https://debunkingdenialism.com/2015/12/12/how-anti-immigration-activists-misuse-rape-statistics/

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19592372

http://www.loonwatch.com/2011/12/gil-ronens-fabricated-statistics-about-oslo-rapists-being-all-muslim/

Yes, a Google search for "Oslo rape muslim" turns up a bunch of articles, but, at first glance, I could not find one of them linking to actual crime statistics. Instead they tend to quote each other in a closed continuum of quoting and requoting each other. never a good sign if one looks for the truth.

I gotta admit my ability to find and critically judge statistics is pretty limited to science so those were some useful links. The articles didn't really seem to be saying that there isn't still a much higher proportion of crimes being committed by this small minority compared to the native population, but rather that the changes in rape laws and their 'looseness' and some cherry picking with definitions made those numbers bigger and flashier than they would be in reality, or am I missing something?
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Lustful Bride

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Sain on August 07, 2016, 08:18:20 AM
I gotta admit my ability to find and critically judge statistics is pretty limited to science so those were some useful links. The articles didn't really seem to be saying that there isn't still a much higher proportion of crimes being committed by this small minority compared to the native population, but rather that the changes in rape laws and their 'looseness' and some cherry picking with definitions made those numbers bigger and flashier than they would be in reality, or am I missing something?
I must admit I did not delve very deeply into the topic and just tossed out a few links that struck me as casting the topic in a somewhat different light.

That said...
QuoteThe articles didn't really seem to be saying that there isn't still a much higher proportion of crimes being committed by this small minority...
One big problem with the whole topic is what crime exactly one is talking about. With the Oslo figures the problem (as I see it) is that the number cherry picked is for "assault rape". But compared to other acts defined as "rape" there, we are talking aboiut five cases, compared to hundred or more of other acts. That's just not enough to draw any conclusions from that stand on a solid statistical foundation. The sample size is way too small and trying to draw any conlcusions from it - or presenting it as evidence - goes beyond cherry picking in my opinion.

Not that rape statistics are ever easy to deal with. Estimates of how many cases go unreported differ widely, but I would actually not be surprised if foreigners or migrants actually made up a relatively large percentage of those who committ what many people might think of as "rape", i.e. a stranger assaulting a lone woman in a dark alley. Why? For the simple reason that a whole lot of sexual assault and rapes happen among people who know each other, people who might even be in a long-term relationship. Those are also the cases that go underreported. Seems obvious to me that natives of a country (or those who have lived in a country for many years, even if foreign-born) have more opportunities to form relationships that allow for those cases of "domestic rape". It is possible that migrants committ a large percentage of a certain type of rape (which accounts only for a small portion of all rapes), but if you look at all rapes things might look very differently. And the "stranger in a dark alley" situation really is rare, compared to other situations of sexual violence.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Lustful Bride

Two Belgian policewomen ambushed by a machete wielding attacker, who IS claims was one of their own.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/is-claims-belgium-police-machete-attack/ar-BBvlsgs?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

TheGlyphstone

Granted, they've shown a pattern of claiming credit for attacks entirely unconnected to them until after the fact. But I suppose that doesn't matter either way.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 07, 2016, 03:06:21 PM
Two Belgian policewomen ambushed by a machete wielding attacker, who IS claims was one of their own.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/is-claims-belgium-police-machete-attack/ar-BBvlsgs?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Indeed, but it's still unclear. IT seems to me like it's just another madman who did support IS, but wasn't actually part of the organization. Smart move by IS to claim it anyway. Anything they can do to seem bigger and have a bigger reach, they will do.
Fortunately, both women are stabilized...
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

RedRose

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 07, 2016, 02:00:53 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/06/belgium-charleroi-two-police-officers-machete

Somehow I don't see things calming down over here anytime soon...

Agreed. There are constant smaller scale attacks, with regularly someone deciding to "avenge" the victims and attacking a Muslim person or a hallal restaurant.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Renegade Vile

Quote from: RedRose on August 08, 2016, 04:06:34 AM
Agreed. There are constant smaller scale attacks, with regularly someone deciding to "avenge" the victims and attacking a Muslim person or a hallal restaurant.

The insanos on both sides of the argument are lapping it up and are jumping at any excuse to hurt people. I'll be the first to say that Belgium has been letting dubious individuals into the country for decades now through its horrendously lax immigration policy, but I'll also be the first to say that a large portion of people coming in are just people looking to find a job and live their lives; not blow themselves up for Allah. Attacking some poor guy running a restaurant is reprehensible.

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Renegade Vile

I did not expect Kuwait and Croatia to be that high, or Russia to be so much lower than the Western-European countries. Oddly interesting.

Aethereal

Quote from: Lilias on August 08, 2016, 05:17:39 AM
How much do people weigh in different counries around the world?

Let the outrage commence! XD
Weigh on its own tells very little - think of, for example, the general body frame and height differences between countries. It'd be weird is women who average about 1.7m would weigh the same as women who measure around 1.5m tall, for instance...

Lilias

Quote from: Shienvien on August 08, 2016, 05:34:50 AM
        Weigh on its own tells very little - think of, for example, the general body frame and height differences between countries. It'd be weird is women who average about 1.7m would weigh the same as women who measure around 1.5m tall, for instance...

Of course. Then again, frame and height differences can't quite account for the massive difference between American and Canadian averages, for example. :-)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Lilias on August 08, 2016, 05:59:39 AM
Of course. Then again, frame and height differences can't quite account for the massive difference between American and Canadian averages, for example. :-)
Is it all that massive a difference? It's a 10% difference. Is that really all that much?

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on August 08, 2016, 06:03:11 AM
Is it all that massive a difference? It's a 10% difference. Is that really all that much?

It is on an average. To get several points difference, your results need to either center around entirely different values, or the extremes need to weigh in differently.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 08, 2016, 07:08:39 AM
It is on an average. To get several points difference, your results need to either center around entirely different values, or the extremes need to weigh in differently.
I was talking more about personal perception of what's significant.

But if we are talking statistics I'd say it should start with sample size (no pun intended). Margin of error can be a factor, even if all other things are equal.

Aren't statistics wonderful?  :D

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on August 08, 2016, 07:14:47 AM
I was talking more about personal perception of what's significant.

Aaah, yes, I don't know. I don't know about my own perception here, because sometimes I meet guys who I think are much taller than me, but on paper it translates to a few centimeters. So maybe it's the same with weight? A kilogram or two making a big difference overall? Doesn't really sound like it should.

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on August 08, 2016, 07:14:47 AM
But if we are talking statistics I'd say it should start with sample size (no pun intended). Margin of error can be a factor, even if all other things are equal.

Aren't statistics wonderful?  :D

Oh yes, favorite subject in my Computer Science course, definitely. When I started university, first thing I said to myself: I better be getting a full semester of statistics; I want to be writing papers on how much people like a certain coin as opposed to another coin!

Worst subject and exam, ever.

AmberStarfire

This story was on the Aussie news today. I'm not sure of the accuracy but it's the opposite of the dietary advice people were receiving for many years. The only oils I use are olive oil and butter in my own cooking, but most takeaways here use sunflower oil and in Australia, canola oil. It's in so many foods over there. I couldn't even find a birthday cake from the supermarket for my friend that didn't have canola oil in it.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/diet/what-seed-oils-are-really-doing-to-your-body/news-story/e3c6b89c42459afb637957036d5de10f?pg=1#comments

Renegade Vile

Quote from: AmberStarfire on August 08, 2016, 09:06:38 AM
This story was on the Aussie news today. I'm not sure of the accuracy but it's the opposite of the dietary advice people were receiving for many years. The only oils I use are olive oil and butter in my own cooking, but most takeaways here use sunflower oil and in Australia, canola oil. It's in so many foods over there. I couldn't even find a birthday cake from the supermarket for my friend that didn't have canola oil in it.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/diet/what-seed-oils-are-really-doing-to-your-body/news-story/e3c6b89c42459afb637957036d5de10f?pg=1#comments

I have no idea what they commonly use over here. Seems like I should look into that sometime...

Lustful Bride

Coalition airstrikes destroys IS oil trucks that totaled up to $11 Million.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/isil-oil-trucks-worth-dollar11-million-destroyed-in-massive-airstrike/ar-BBvrrhG?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Eventually they will run out of all their money and be left with only sticks and rocks to fight the coalition with.

TaintedAndDelish

I'm finding the negative stories about Rio more amusing than the Olympics this year.

Olympic divers splash into green pool
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/09/sport/rio-olympics-green-pool/index.html?sr=twCNN080916rio-olympics-green-pool1118PMStoryPhoto&linkId=27498931

Rio Games Conspiracy Watch: Did a Kayaker Get Capsized by a Runaway Sofa?
http://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_circus/2016/08/07/did_a_rio_games_kayaker_get_capsized_by_a_runaway_sofa.html

la dame en noir

Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory