Something that didn't make the news

Started by Hunter, November 10, 2010, 03:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyarly

I'd nearly bet there is actually a good explanation for this, that didn't make this news.

It's nearly always like that.

Callie Del Noire

I disagree with the whole 'impeach him cause he's not my vote' outlook out there. It comes from both sides and it's counterproductive 90% of the time.

BUT the guy did have a right to speak up for himself and I guess if it was four years ago and he was waving an 'Impeach Bush' sign and this happened folks at CNN would be offering him a book deal.

It's just not going to be popular to pick on a president the media mostly likes.

Jude

http://www.adn.com/2010/09/03/1438512/security-guards-handling-of-protest.html

Didn't make the news, or you didn't bother to look for the news that it made where it's mentioned that this was private property?

...and apparently he had a gun!

mystictiger

Quote from: Jude on November 10, 2010, 05:08:13 PM
...and apparently he had a gun!

That's in case the United Nations KGestapoB came to get him...
Want a system game? I got system games!

Jude

A valid concern given he was in violation of Shariah Law.

Callie Del Noire

I didn't think the fair was considered private property (but then I'm sure that varies by locality) and a gun can factor into it (that depends on if he had a right to carry license.. my brother does in Texas).

A LOT of elements weren't included in that video.

And what sort of Law Jude?

mystictiger

I suspect Jude was joining in my mocking of various conspiracy theories about what Obama has permitted in the US.

Danger. Sharia-related rant ahead!

Remember that the amendment in Oklahoma was Sharia law -and- public international law. I would love to see how the courts in that state will resolve any question that has any relationship to international trade, extradition, commerce, war-crimes, human rights, or the environment.

Given also that the US Constitution generally regards PIL as a good thing (don't believe me, go read the bit about the powers of congress), I would actually regard such a ban as unconstitutional. But I guess the US isn't quite ready to elect a Scottish Jew to the SC... ;)

Callie Del Noire

'i thought that it was radical Islamic religious law and last I recalled that didn't pertain to this thread as that guy was in the US.

mystictiger

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 10, 2010, 05:42:32 PM
'i thought that it was radical Islamic religious law and last I recalled that didn't pertain to this thread as that guy was in the US.

And in that case you'd be mostly right. Sharia isn't necessarily radical or extreme - it is simply Islamic religious law. You are, however, entirely correct that it doesn'tapply to the US.

Unlike Sharron Angle.

Trieste

Didn't read Jude's link; didn't watch the full video. I watched long enough to notice a few things (I stopped it at 3:51, so if you want to see what I saw, watch it up until there).

* There is no way to tell if he's dealing with actual police officers or simple security guards. Since most security guards do not have the authority of arrest (at least in MA), it's reasonable to say he was probably dealing with actual police officers.

* It is illegal to videotape police officers in some places. It is also illegal to videotape people without their express permission in most places. And in case there was doubt about the express permission part, the cameraman is asked on camera to turn the camera off. S/he fails to respect that.

* There is an adorable little cut just before the arrest itself, after a lot of ranting. There is no way to know if, between cuts, the signholder yelled a threat at the officers, brandished a weapon, did a sudden jig, or began to levitate. There is nothing showing us what led up to the arrest. For all we know, he told someone their mother's a whore and he's going to kill them. That would be arrestable.

* This is addressed by Jude's post, but there's no indication of whether or not it's actually on public land or not. Most fairgrounds are in fact private property, in which case, yes, you MUST leave if they ask you to. Otherwise, you're trespassing and that is a crime.

So it appears that the man was not, in fact, arrested for protesting Obama, but for actually breaking the law. Truly shady, that. Bad, bad policemen.

Vekseid

And no one was arrested for protesting Bush. Oh wait.

Don't get me started on what happened across the river from me at the Republican National Convention two years ago.

The cut at 3:20 just before the arrest is cute. We're supposed to trust video cuts involving LaRouche followers? Not a chance. Show the whole video or don't waste our time, please.

And Hunter, please just embed the direct video:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Serephino

I didn't watch the whole thing either, but I too was thinking about how he was on private property.  As far as I know, state fair grounds are state property.  You can be asked to leave for disorderly conduct, which is what that looked like.

Hunter

Honestly, I watched about a minute of it before I turned it off.  I like politics like most people like getting a root canal.  I was interested in seeing what people here thought, though.

Vekseid

Quote from: Hunter on November 11, 2010, 08:48:53 PM
Honestly, I watched about a minute of it before I turned it off.  I like politics like most people like getting a root canal.  I was interested in seeing what people here thought, though.

Then why did you post it?

LaRouche followers have been the same folks who have been painting Obama as 'Hitler'. Considering that they themselves are considered to be a fascist, anti-Semitic movement, that's pretty rich, don't you think? If we can't trust them to put forth honest arguments, we can't trust a video cut just before the event in question that the video was made about, and you made this thread for.

Sonya

Ooh~ Very interesting *nods* Ecsepcially the comments in the thread that follow. :) It's easy to get riled up with the man, but it all wittles down to technicallityes and yes, I DID miss the fact that there was a video cut the first time around, something I'm SURE it's due to the need to change camera batteries or anything, considering the moment is right before for how ever long it took for the security to finally take down the gentlman. Thus, it left viewers with only how a protestor, not showed doing anything or saying anything, to be tackled down (with crutch mind you) by two huge guys for how ever long a duration of time, leaving with a big distate in our minds.

On the matter on the state fair being private property likliness, if it was, the first two security personnel were obviosuly just allowing him for awhile. I mean, he had al that time for those people to gather and such and sit down and chill behind that sign before the actual take down, leaving us to believe that 'sure, they're ok with that' but something had to had change RIGHt before the cut that WAS the main reason of needed to stop.

Meh, but I guess I'm just overthinking it ;)

mystictiger

I really have severe issues with Obama being portrayed as Hitler. Mostly because the things that Hitler did to make him Hitler are... well... kind of clear:

Obama has yet to invade Poland
Obama has yet to commit genocide
Obama has yet to start a world war
Obama has yet to turn the legal and judicial system into a means of supressing dissent
Obama is taller, blacker, and lacks facial hair.

Oh wait... they both... erm... have dark hair! Clearly they're alike!

Nyarly

The moment someone portrays anyone as Hitler is the moment to stop taking this person seriously. Such a "comparison" (actually it's just an insult) is just mindless mudslinging and a sure sign of a lack of proper arguments. Seriously, you could just say that he eats babies, that's just as nonsensical.

And calling a black guy "Hitler"? Seriously? Calling a Jew "Hitler" would just be barely more idiotic.

Trieste

Quote from: mystictiger on November 12, 2010, 11:09:51 AM
Oh wait... they both... erm... have dark hair! Clearly they're alike!

Wasn't Hitler also a talented public speaker? Obama isn't one of the most talented out there (HI MR CLINTON I MISS YOOOOU) but I like listening to his speeches. The speeches themselves have a sense of humor and he has elocution and poise.

I suppose my support means I have to wear a swastika. Siiiigh...

mystictiger

I missed the obvious connection!

They're both... MEN!

I guess I should go and do a bit of creative shaving. I wonder how that'd go down in class...

HairyHeretic

Well, the swastika has been around a long time, and used all over the world. It just may take a while before it can reclaimed from the association it currently has.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Trieste

They actually have a Hindu swastika symbol on the posters around my campus advertising the Diwali celebration tomorrow night. This one.

Vekseid

Quote from: Trieste on November 12, 2010, 11:51:22 AM
Wasn't Hitler also a talented public speaker? Obama isn't one of the most talented out there (HI MR CLINTON I MISS YOOOOU) but I like listening to his speeches. The speeches themselves have a sense of humor and he has elocution and poise.

I suppose my support means I have to wear a swastika. Siiiigh...

I actually suspect that's why fascists are associating Obama with Hitler. They don't want to be beaten to the punch.

Depressions create lots of vulnerable people who are receptive to charismatic folks giving them hope, and placing prior blame. Democracy is never so weak as it is during moments when so many people are so desperate.

Noelle

I especially enjoy the back-and-forth on his various identities. One minute he's enslaving the white man (still waiting on that one), the next minute he's only succeeding because of his white ancestry. One minute he's a scholar of a crackpot, radical evangelist Christian preacher who hates white people, the next minute, he's a radical Muslim smuggling terrorists over our border and taking a dump on our freedoms while cooperating with the Jew media to propagate his message of elitist commumarxofascisociodictatotalitarianism. It's actually kind of impressive how many contradictions you can pack into one person.

mystictiger

I'd vote for him! He sounds like a superhero!

President Obama, by day a mild mannered American president, and by night a radical muslim. Together, he fights crime!