Kingmaker: New Cyre (Eberron; Pathfinder; Recruiting until September 19th)

Started by Dakkon, September 06, 2014, 07:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakkon

Quote from: Interdiction of words on September 07, 2014, 12:17:48 AM
They might trust him or they might not; it all depends on their personality or how they react to a situation.
Well, that's something fairly specific. Why would the prince who's trying to rebuild his devastated nation, trust a random Kobold who's trying to stay out of trouble? Oargev is desperate, but he also realizes he's putting a lot of trust in the four groups of Cyrans he's sending to settle his new lands. He's not going to pick people to put in those groups without good reason.

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 07, 2014, 03:16:44 AM
Yeah, the items must be masterwork plus they get +700 more gp (so every sword costs 1000gp + basic cost of weapon) and can be applied only bladed slashing/piercing weapons. Perhaps +1 diplomacy/intimidate vs other nations and +2 vs Cyrans. It's not related to magic but mere reputation of said weapons handed out only to master swordfigthers which most are patriots for their country.

Okay, that's reasonable. You won't be able to start with them though.

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, idea is not start with such weapon but ability to make them. Specifically only a Derram lineaged weapon smiths can make them (they mix their own blood with dragonshard dust in harnessing and cooling process, their blood is internal component to make the special feature on the blade's surface what the blade is renown for).

Anyways you did not reply about allowing use hero points in place of action points (or do we get action points)?

Dakkon

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 07, 2014, 06:24:56 AM
Yeah, idea is not start with such weapon but ability to make them. Specifically only a Derram lineaged weapon smiths can make them (they mix their own blood with dragonshard dust in harnessing and cooling process, their blood is internal component to make the special feature on the blade's surface what the blade is renown for).

Anyways you did not reply about allowing use hero points in place of action points (or do we get action points)?

Ah, sorry, missed that. We'll go with action points.

Interdiction of words

Quote from: FallenDabus on September 07, 2014, 06:12:33 AM
Well, that's something fairly specific. Why would the prince who's trying to rebuild his devastated nation, trust a random Kobold who's trying to stay out of trouble? Oargev is desperate, but he also realizes he's putting a lot of trust in the four groups of Cyrans he's sending to settle his new lands. He's not going to pick people to put in those groups without good reason. .

He would trust my character because there are few that would get involved and my character has a bit of white knight good in him to do what is right to help others. He would pick my character for the reason of good will to the kobold people and  good faith in his words "Those that give forgiveness often themselves get forgiven." The kobold is a piece of work yes but will do anything for his mother and his six siblings.
Posts are currently: Medium
Darn work and school is getting in the way. I will get posts out as fast as I can but it is going to be hard on me as for you.

Oh my, I haven't posted on our thread? PM me or check out my A&A

Dakkon

Here's a little bit more of an idea about this game and the direction I intend to take with it.

If you aren't familiar with it already, the Kingmaker Adventure Path is focused around three main ideas: wilderness exploration, city building, and nation building. While the first adventure focuses just on the former, it does have an impact upon the latter as well. All of these aspects will be preserved, as they are the heart of the story. 

Now, do you remember when Fable first came out and its tagline? "For every choice, a consequence." I don't plan on every choice have a result in the future, but I do want to present you with some situations where a choice does need to be made, and any of the possible selections would have a profound effect on not only New Cyre, but all of Eberron. Do you turn to Aundair or Redria for extra grain during a famine? Spend some of your nation's surplus money funding an expedition to the Mournlands, bolster your defences against Thrane or invest in Zilargan researchers? Who do make your allies, what Dragonmaked Houses to you encourage in your cities? Which religions do you embrace, actively or passively?

I see this game not only as adventure, but also a Civilization simulator. Like I said in the first post, I plan on advancing the timeline well past 998 YK. What I envision is grand, vast and complicated and I am hugely excited to see how it plays out.

New Cyre is rising. How will you shape it?

Bibliophilia

Fallen, are there specifics on the noble houses involved in the story, or can we create our own?  I've never really read the Kingmaker information, but if there are noble families in that and you are using those, then I definitely don't have a problem doing my homework.  I just want to make sure I'm not boning up on the wrong info.

Dakkon

Quote from: Bibliophilia on September 07, 2014, 12:57:07 PM
Fallen, are there specifics on the noble houses involved in the story, or can we create our own?  I've never really read the Kingmaker information, but if there are noble families in that and you are using those, then I definitely don't have a problem doing my homework.  I just want to make sure I'm not boning up on the wrong info.
Not really. Even if there were, they'd have been majorly adapted to Eberron. Feel free to make your own.

Rajah

Two questions: one, unless I am missing a particular version of it, the Daelkyr Half Blood doesn't HAVE a level adjustment. Were you thinking of something else or is there indeed another resource I should be examining? Two, you mention an "Eberron blog"; the only thing I can find for this is the tumblr linked in your signature. If this is indeed what you meant, is there some kind of sorting tool for tumblr? I went through for like ten pages but it seems to be all artwork.
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Dakkon

Quote from: Rajah on September 07, 2014, 01:06:42 PM
Two questions: one, unless I am missing a particular version of it, the Daelkyr Half Blood doesn't HAVE a level adjustment. Were you thinking of something else or is there indeed another resource I should be examining?
No, but they are fairly powerful, so I wanted to specify that.

Quote from: Rajah on September 07, 2014, 01:06:42 PMTwo, you mention an "Eberron blog"; the only thing I can find for this is the tumblr linked in your signature. If this is indeed what you meant, is there some kind of sorting tool for tumblr? I went through for like ten pages but it seems to be all artwork.
I just switched the themes on it, there will be an archive button on the top of the page. There's not much mechanical right now, although there is a bit about shifters and Dragonmarks.

Latooni Subota

ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Bibliophilia

Maelys Thackeray

Maelys was the bastard off-spring of Duke Neelan Thackeray and a mysterious, irresistible woman he met by chance one evening when he had become separated from the rest of his hunting party.  She came to him in the woods where he was camped on the edge of a spring, and they spent the night together.  Neelan never spoke of the encounter, though the memories lingered long in his mind, even fueling several return trips to that same location in an attempt to meet the hauntingly beautiful woman again.  He never saw her, though, and eventually he resigned himself to his memories and an unquenchable longing.

When the beautiful, raven-haired infant was discovered on the front steps of the manor house with a note addressed to the Duke, she was brought inside and presented to Neelan.  Upon reading the note, which both elated him and drained the blood from his face as if he'd been stabbed, he declared the child his daughter and bid the servants to take her to the nursery.  Neelan already had three children, a boy and twin daughters, all several years older than the child.  His wife was none-too-happy with the fact that her husband was bringing his bastard child into their home and expecting her to simply accept it, but there was little she could do.  Still, while Neelan doted upon the winsome girl, his wife remained cold, and even hateful toward it, though she never abused Maelys where anyone else could witness her actions.

Neelan told his beautiful daughter the story of how he met her mother many times as she was growing up, and they both enjoyed speculating about what her mother could have been.  Even though Maelys looked human, it was clear from her unusual eyes and inherent...otherness that she was not entirely so.  Unlike most bastards, Maelys was given the best of everything, just like her half-siblings.  She had a keen intellect and a prowess with social interaction that served her well in her studies, allowing her to learn the art of political machinations and etiquette.  She was given the chance to put her skills to good use, attending parties with her family when she grew older, though she was treated with the sort of barely-masked scorn that one might expect.

Then, the Day of Mourning.  Maelys was nineteen when her entire family was destroyed by the unthinkable.  She had been to Breland, where her father had located a suitor he considered a proper match for his youngest child.  Maelys had traveled alone, with only a handful of retainers, and she was on her way back to Cyre when everything changed.  She ended up returning to Breland, though the suitor her father had chosen was not someone she desired to marry, as his lust for her barely concealed his contempt.  She and her servants became refugees, all they knew and loved gone in a moment.

It's been two years since she lost everything, and Maelys, never one to crumble under pressure, has turned her misfortune to her advantage.  She has regained some of her status in society, using her skills as a witch and keen intellect to secure herself a, nominal, place among the nobility.  King Oargev knew she would jump at the chance to help rebuild their nation, and knew her political mind and social graces would serve well in that endeavor.  She is determined to secure her position among Cyran noble society, and no longer be subject to the thinly-veiled contempt and jealousy of the other nobles.

I'm still working on her sheet, but that won't take me too long.  I wanted to get her background done, because I wanted to read up a bit on the adventure module's history and whatnot.  Let me know if I've goofed somehow in the story part of it.  Or if you need more.  I'm always willing to provide more.

Interdiction of words

Ok I see but my character would want to help others with no homes since he feels the same way.
Darn work and school is getting in the way. I will get posts out as fast as I can but it is going to be hard on me as for you.

Chulanowa

Question; since we're dabbling in pathfinder / 3.5 crossover here, what's the standard on Racial Substitutuion Levels? Can we take them as a sort of three-level archetype thing, or are they off-limits, or what's going on there?

Dakkon

Quote from: Chulanowa on September 07, 2014, 09:08:38 PM
Question; since we're dabbling in pathfinder / 3.5 crossover here, what's the standard on Racial Substitutuion Levels? Can we take them as a sort of three-level archetype thing, or are they off-limits, or what's going on there?
Good question. Most of them can probably be converted to archetypes. Which one are you thinking of?

Chulanowa

I don't know!  :-\ I was just flipping through Races of Eberron and was reminded, "oh yeah, these exist"

Dakkon

Quote from: Chulanowa on September 07, 2014, 09:28:14 PM
I don't know!  :-\ I was just flipping through Races of Eberron and was reminded, "oh yeah, these exist"
Okay. Well, I've long considered archetypes to be the natural progression of substitution levels, so we should be able to find something workable if that's a route you want to go.

Zaer Darkwail

Here comes my char, along with the background and mention of perks of the Derram family craft.

Darus Derram
Biography
Darus Derram, a male human survivor from Cyre who is from elite craftsman family (close relations to House Cannith in Cyre) but he chose military career as patriot and he was trained in Cyre academy on swordplay and magic and he over the years in war became captain of Queens Roses 7th company captain until when his unit was rolled over by Breland bear calvary and taken as prisoner of war to Sharn. That's how he avoided Mourning and soon after treaty started to be signed he was released...with no where to go.

He opened workshop where he practiced his family trade (and spend evenings grooming in taverns and drinking his sorrow at loss of Cyre) by crafting unique blades (able create unique beautiful blade pattern with using dragonshard dust and mixing it with his blood to create magical blade treatment, masterwork bladed weapons which are highly revered across Five Nations as items held only by master swordsmen).

Eventually House Cannith found him and he was offered position to recreate relationship his family had in Cyre to House Cannith in Sharn and he agreed (he is way too smart to defy them although was not that much thrilled about it). He was however found out by Prince Oargev ir’Wynarn; the prince had found one blades which Darus had forged for another Cyrian (and recognized Derram family handwork and seeing it was fresh forged than old one) and knowing his years of military service offered him a task which gave him a new sense of purpose and life to his mourn filled heart; founding new kingdom for their people in southern wilderness in Breland.

Derram Blades

All Derram blade weapons are masterwork items and they add additional +700gp to the process making them plus anything related to exotic crafting materials. The process creates a unique colored blade surface which is formed when blade is drawn first time from scabbard after sheathing it after final hardening process. Every blade's coloration is unique and to make them crafter needs dragonshard dust and mix in Derram family member's blood and mix it with alchemical hardening oils. Process creates the blade surface and in addition being bit tougher than standard blades. A common myth holds that when swordsman draws Derram blade, the shape and color of it's soul is painted upon blade's surface and thus create it's unique color pattern. So far this myth has not been proven to be correct but nor wrong either, it's a long standing romantic idea of the blades why they sell so high even today. More so as only single family is capable making them. Also they have been commonly given to master swordsmen, so thus having Derram blade is sign of recognition that wielder is skilled swordsman (yet another myth which is well preserved as many nobles could had ordered blade forged for them or they had heritage blade from ancestor).

Because over seven hundred years family tradition (which means blades were forged far before foundation of kingdom Galifar), the blades have high prestige of reputation shared across in Five Nations (especially in Cyre) and many noble families hold at least one blade if not more. Enchanted blades are also fairly common as Derram family had always held close ties with Cannith house, dragonmarked house of making.

Mechanical Advantages: +2 to all diplomacy/intimidate rolls in Five Nations, +4 vs Cyrans, when you possess the blade and people recognize it (most do as they are famous thanks novels and history figures having them but not all do. Thus no bonus if people do not recognize the blade qualities, upon GM's judgment decide). +1 bonus to hardness and HP to the weapon.

Dakkon

Okay, my plan is to make my picks on Thursday September 18. Now, fair warning, I'm at +4 Greenwhich time, so I'm probably a good half a day ahead of most of you. My plan is to pick in the evening, but that's still morning for anyone in North America, so I'd suggest aiming to get everything completed by next Wednesday. I've seen and heard some cool ideas so far, and I'm hoping to see many more! Keep 'em coming!!

Zaer Darkwail

Nice! Anyways stats on Derram Blade okay? The 'rep bonus' is overall GM decided but point is that the blades are pretty and also they had been in novels, plays and also history figures wielding them across five nations. Kind of like legendary brand which is well known.

Interdiction of words

Chulanowa

I've been stumbling around a bunch of concepts. it's like, "Oh! kobold bard! no, halfling sorcerer! No, Hlaf-eld wizard! No, wait...!"[/i]

It happens every damn time. i really ought to just make every damn character that comes to me, and stow it away somewhere in case of emergency.

Anyway I'm looking at going with a Shifter / Skinchanger (Probably Witchwolf or Coldborn), either a Druid or shaman. Core idea, Someone who's already from the "borderlands," recruited to be a guide / expert. I've got one thing ahead of it, but should be able to have it done by the deadline!

Dakkon

Quote from: Chulanowa on September 10, 2014, 12:05:02 AM
I've been stumbling around a bunch of concepts. it's like, "Oh! kobold bard! no, halfling sorcerer! No, Hlaf-eld wizard! No, wait...!"[/i]

It happens every damn time. i really ought to just make every damn character that comes to me, and stow it away somewhere in case of emergency.

Anyway I'm looking at going with a Shifter / Skinchanger (Probably Witchwolf or Coldborn), either a Druid or shaman. Core idea, Someone who's already from the "borderlands," recruited to be a guide / expert. I've got one thing ahead of it, but should be able to have it done by the deadline!
I'd go shaman personally... I've had one person submit a druid to me via PM, so there may be less competition that way.

Dakkon

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 09, 2014, 09:30:05 AM
Nice! Anyways stats on Derram Blade okay? The 'rep bonus' is overall GM decided but point is that the blades are pretty and also they had been in novels, plays and also history figures wielding them across five nations. Kind of like legendary brand which is well known.
I'm still not entirely sure about them. I'll PM you and we can see if we can work something out.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: FallenDabus on September 10, 2014, 05:41:09 AM
I'm still not entirely sure about them. I'll PM you and we can see if we can work something out.

Ok, fine by me :)