The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Mathim on May 13, 2016, 08:14:10 PM
And holy shitsnacks, it looks like the Human Torch has not let Fant4stic ruin his chances of comic book film fame, as Michael B. Jordan joins the cast of Black Panther as an as of yet unknown role.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni59828927?pf_rd_m=A2FGELUUNOQJNL&pf_rd_p=2494921022&pf_rd_r=19AWCFQBF7CZH1K901H0&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_t=15061&pf_rd_i=homepage&ref_=hm_nw_tp1

When I rented the movie (for a dollar) he was the only character I liked. Im glad that movie didn't ruin his career.

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 13, 2016, 08:34:19 PM
When I rented the movie (for a dollar) he was the only character I liked. Im glad that movie didn't ruin his career.

Really? I felt he was a total asshole, not unlike Chris Evans' portrayal of the character, but at least Evans' character had some minor backstory leading to him having an antagonistic relationship with Ben. Jordan's callousness towards Bell's Grimm was out of nowhere (though to be fair, that's likely due to the manic editing resulting from them trying to salvage that train wreck, more than plain character inconsistency if they left everything in.)

Also, the other day Lupita N'yongo was confirmed for Black Panther as well, though I can't remember if it was announced which character she would portray.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Mathim on May 13, 2016, 08:36:56 PM
Really? I felt he was a total asshole, not unlike Chris Evans' portrayal of the character, but at least Evans' character had some minor backstory leading to him having an antagonistic relationship with Ben. Jordan's callousness towards Bell's Grimm was out of nowhere (though to be fair, that's likely due to the manic editing resulting from them trying to salvage that train wreck, more than plain character inconsistency if they left everything in.)

Also, the other day Lupita N'yongo was confirmed for Black Panther as well, though I can't remember if it was announced which character she would portray.

*shrug* Everyone else was annoying and whiny to me, :P

SapphireStar

With the New 52, they totally did away with the whole Batman and Catwoman dynamic. In the old continuity, Catwoman knew about Batman's secret, and they were more heavily tied together. In Hush, Batman told Catwoman he loved her, albeit, Selena was in a coma at the time due to Hush having ripped her heart out. Though in the New 52, Catwoman and Batman had hot and heavy fight sex in the early issues of her series, and that was about it. Pretty much, the New 52 was retconning everything, changing character backstories, etc. Like, Superman and Lois Lane never getting together early on. The New 52 was supposed to bring all the universes into one, which included the titles from the sub-company, Wildstorm. About the only good thing about the reboot was teaming up Deathstroke and Zealot together.

Marvel at least tries to maintain some continuity, but that has floundered over the years. Marvel has done some things similar to what DC has done, but not to the extent of the "Let's ignore everything that came before". The last time Marvel tried to do a reboot was with the Heroes Reborn, where a bunch of heroes like the Fantastic Four, etc jumped through some portal and were living an altered life. Age of Apocalypse was the same, but it made more sense. Legion went back to kill Magneto, but instead killed Xavier when Xavier jumped in the way to save Magento. Magneto became a hero leading the X-Men, married to Rogue and with a child. Cyclops worked for Apocalypse same with Havoc. Gambit led his own outlaw group.

Chris Evan's portrayal of Johnny Storm, seemed in part similar to the early years of the character. Though he has done an excellent job playing Captain America. On a sidenote, apparently there was a rumor that when Man of Steel was being made, apparently they approached Erica Durance to reprise her role of Lois Lane, but she turned them down. She said it felt like cheating on her Smallville co-star.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 13, 2016, 10:08:28 PM
With the New 52, they totally did away with the whole Batman and Catwoman dynamic. In the old continuity, Catwoman knew about Batman's secret, and they were more heavily tied together. In Hush, Batman told Catwoman he loved her, albeit, Selena was in a coma at the time due to Hush having ripped her heart out. Though in the New 52, Catwoman and Batman had hot and heavy fight sex in the early issues of her series, and that was about it. Pretty much, the New 52 was retconning everything, changing character backstories, etc. Like, Superman and Lois Lane never getting together early on. The New 52 was supposed to bring all the universes into one, which included the titles from the sub-company, Wildstorm. About the only good thing about the reboot was teaming up Deathstroke and Zealot together.

Marvel at least tries to maintain some continuity, but that has floundered over the years. Marvel has done some things similar to what DC has done, but not to the extent of the "Let's ignore everything that came before". The last time Marvel tried to do a reboot was with the Heroes Reborn, where a bunch of heroes like the Fantastic Four, etc jumped through some portal and were living an altered life. Age of Apocalypse was the same, but it made more sense. Legion went back to kill Magneto, but instead killed Xavier when Xavier jumped in the way to save Magento. Magneto became a hero leading the X-Men, married to Rogue and with a child. Cyclops worked for Apocalypse same with Havoc. Gambit led his own outlaw group.

Chris Evan's portrayal of Johnny Storm, seemed in part similar to the early years of the character. Though he has done an excellent job playing Captain America. On a sidenote, apparently there was a rumor that when Man of Steel was being made, apparently they approached Erica Durance to reprise her role of Lois Lane, but she turned them down. She said it felt like cheating on her Smallville co-star.

Surprised she didn't show up somewhere in the Supergirl show. Or did she?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Far eyes

Quote from: Mathim on May 13, 2016, 11:00:40 PM
Surprised she didn't show up somewhere in the Supergirl show. Or did she?

Maybe everybody was a sleep and nobody noticed it, we will never know :P
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on May 14, 2016, 08:05:19 AM
Maybe everybody was a sleep and nobody noticed it, we will never know :P

I mean, I know there's tons of cameos on there from previous incarnations, like Dean Cain who was in the Lois and Clark show. But even if Durance was on there, it might not have been as Lois Lane.

SapphireStar

They've had Helen Slater on the Supergirl show, and Laura Vanderoot who played Kara/Supergirl on Smallville is currently playing the villain Indigo on Supergirl. The rumor was that Durance was approached for the Man of Steel movie to play Lois but she declined and the role went to Amy Adams. With the show moving to Canada, there might be the possibility for other actors like Durance to appear.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 14, 2016, 12:57:22 PM
They've had Helen Slater on the Supergirl show, and Laura Vanderoot who played Kara/Supergirl on Smallville is currently playing the villain Indigo on Supergirl. The rumor was that Durance was approached for the Man of Steel movie to play Lois but she declined and the role went to Amy Adams. With the show moving to Canada, there might be the possibility for other actors like Durance to appear.

Durance is Canadian? Neat. I saw the 'Everything Wrong With' video for that Uwe Boll movie House of the Dead, and they pointed out that she was in it, but under a different name, and a good thing, apparently, because of the bad rep most of his movies have.

Anyone have any idea if and when Arrow season 4 and Flash season 2 might appear on Netflix? And/or Legends of Tomorrow?

SapphireStar

They'll probably air after the current season wraps. I think the season finales are either this week or next week. Oh, and apparently, Patrick J. Adams character in the upcoming season finale episode of Legends of Tomorrow has been revealed. Apparently he will be playing Alan Scott! It looks like a Green Lantern will be making its appearance on the show. Could this mean that Hal Jordan will appear on Flash and Arrow? Hmm, i wonder, could Hal Jordan be the mystery man in the metal mask being held prisoner by Zoom?

They've already teased hints at everything Hal Jordan related. Ferris Airways. A guy in a club in a flashback scene on Arrow wearing a bomber jacket with the nametag Jordan on it. On Flash, in the episode when they are trucking the metahumans to the airfield to be picked up by Argus. The airfield belonged to Ferris Air. The airfield was shut down when their test pilot (Hal Jordan) went missing. They've teased Hal's home city which has the partial Green Lantern saying on it.

Mathim

I guess the DCEU doesn't mind that they're using him because the GL movie is SOOO far off, like not til 2020.

Inkidu

Okay, Gotham's Hugo Strange is probably the best ever put forth outside of the comics (though there are scant few to be fair).
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SapphireStar

The Flash is using a bunch of the Speedsters like Jessie Quick, Jay Garrick, Wally West, Zoom, etc while the Flash movie is two years away? I guess, they got permission from the movie execs to use him? Though from rumors it seems likely they might use John Stewart as the Green Lantern.

I've heard that DC is pushing back a lot of their movies. Oh, they just added a new one to their roster. A solo movie for Harley Quinn for Margot Robbie.

Michael B. Jordan is set to play a villain in the Black Panther movie according to rumors.

Far eyes

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 17, 2016, 10:16:22 AM
A solo movie for Harley Quinn for Margot Robbie.

So i know why THEY want a Harley Quinn movie she is popular and they want the $ but how is that suppose to work? She is kind of a character who intrinsically needs others to bounce off of. 
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

SapphireStar

They'll probably add Poison Ivy, and due a take on the Gotham Sirens series.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 17, 2016, 10:16:22 AM
The Flash is using a bunch of the Speedsters like Jessie Quick, Jay Garrick, Wally West, Zoom, etc while the Flash movie is two years away? I guess, they got permission from the movie execs to use him? Though from rumors it seems likely they might use John Stewart as the Green Lantern.

I've heard that DC is pushing back a lot of their movies. Oh, they just added a new one to their roster. A solo movie for Harley Quinn for Margot Robbie.

Michael B. Jordan is set to play a villain in the Black Panther movie according to rumors.

A villain? Good for him. He's only played protagonists so far, that'll give him more range. Like how to my knowledge, Django Unchained was the first time Leonard Dicaprio played an antagonist.

TheGlyphstone

Any speculation on who he might be playing? Ulysses Klaw is the only big-name antagonist of Black Panther I know of, and particularly with him already being in the AoU movie, I was expecting him to be headline villain for the BP solo movie.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 17, 2016, 03:39:52 PM
Any speculation on who he might be playing? Ulysses Klaw is the only big-name antagonist of Black Panther I know of, and particularly with him already being in the AoU movie, I was expecting him to be headline villain for the BP solo movie.

Well he's younger than Chadwick Boseman, which is a little unusual for the villains in the MCU which are typically older or roughly the same age as the heroes. I'm not aware of any villain characters that young being involved in any major Avengers storylines, so I really have no idea unless they're planning on CGI-ing the shit out of him like that one dude who played Kurse. But I'm thinking that because
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
they took Zemo alive, he'll be used in some way to help Klaue in the Black Panther movie, as Klaue will definitely be interested in someone malevolent who successfully killed Wakandan royalty.

mia h

Looks like ABC has decided to move Agents of SHIELD to 10pm on Tuesday's next season aka The Ratings Graveyard. So don't be surprised when AoS gets cancelled next year.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Lustful Bride

I just hope they at least give it something resembling a conclusion, instead of just abrupt ending.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on May 18, 2016, 02:20:53 PM
Looks like ABC has decided to move Agents of SHIELD to 10pm on Tuesday's next season aka The Ratings Graveyard. So don't be surprised when AoS gets cancelled next year.

Well with Agent Carter already shit-canned and Most Wanted dying before it was even born, it doesn't seem wise to scrap their only remaining non-Netflix part of the television side of MCU. But if they get their asses working on something bigger and better, I'm okay with it getting a new name even if it's basically the same thing.

SapphireStar

They said the move was so that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. can go darker with its stories. None of the other shows on have problems with "darker" content in their shows at eight, or nine at night. The eight and nine time slots are the prime real estate in tv. Though not surprised ABC is canning their top shows, and bringing more shows by Shonda Rhimes and others that lean more towards soap opera style drama.

Even if Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. gets cancelled, they can always get picked up by Netflix. Though I wonder if the move has anything to do with Chloe Bennett's (Daisy/Quake) lambastings the Marvel Movie side and the top brass like Kevin Feige. She was on a panel at a comic con, and said that basically the movie side is hypocrites who say that the movies and tv shows exist side by side in the same universe, but refuse to acknowledge said shows and characters. This type of move by a studio/network/showrunners isn't new.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 19, 2016, 03:18:08 AM
They said the move was so that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. can go darker with its stories. None of the other shows on have problems with "darker" content in their shows at eight, or nine at night. The eight and nine time slots are the prime real estate in tv. Though not surprised ABC is canning their top shows, and bringing more shows by Shonda Rhimes and others that lean more towards soap opera style drama.

Even if Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. gets cancelled, they can always get picked up by Netflix. Though I wonder if the move has anything to do with Chloe Bennett's (Daisy/Quake) lambastings the Marvel Movie side and the top brass like Kevin Feige. She was on a panel at a comic con, and said that basically the movie side is hypocrites who say that the movies and tv shows exist side by side in the same universe, but refuse to acknowledge said shows and characters. This type of move by a studio/network/showrunners isn't new.

Is she completely unaware of the relative turnaround time for producing a TV show versus a feature film?

SapphireStar

I think she is referring to the fact that since the second season of the show, the tv shows have pretty much been largely ignored by the movie side. The first season was tied into the movies, Maria Hill made a few apparances, Nick Fury, Lady Sif. Lady Sif showed up twice, and in that time could have mentioned Coulson was alive to Thor who in turn could have said something to the other Avengers. Same with Maria Hill who went to work for Stark in Season 1. But, not even Tony Stark mentioned a word about Coulson being alive. The actor playing Coulson has expressed several times about returning to the movies, but has not happened.

The other actors from the other tv shows have also expressed interest in at least making cameo roles in the movies. Its possible she is aware, there are several actors on the tv show who worked in films. Its the fact that on a whole, the Marvel movies are ignoring the tv shows. Even with the production of a movie, the movie side would be aware of what is going on with regards to what is happening in the tv shows. Both tv shows and movies would have to work out of the same central location. But, so far its been rumored that none of the tv show characters will appear in the movies. Daredevil and Black Panther worked together a few times. Daredevil has teamed up with Spider-man. Wouldn't it be logical to have a brief cameo of Daredevil in Spider-Man? Or, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage?

mia h

The way it's set up at the minute the MCU is working in three isolated bubbles; big budget movies, 'dark, gritty' heroes on Netflix, family friendly viewing on ABC.
The last season or so of AoS has been about the rise of the Inhumans and a new Inhuman turning up every 5 minutes, but that has been mentioned evening in passing in either and on the Netflix series or in any of the big screen outings. As to how the movies link to AoS, well there was Peggy's obituary and a brief mention that the Sokovia Accords exist and that's it.

Part of the idea of there being a cohesive MCU was the possibility of the different bits crossing over in a meaningful way; so if AoS had a situation in New York  why not have Daredevil turn up for a couple of episodes? The simple answer is that despite the MCU publicity machine saying "it's all connected", No it really isn't.

Even Kevin Feige has pretty much said that the different bits don't really connect to each other http://io9.gizmodo.com/why-the-marvel-movies-may-never-cross-over-with-their-t-1770380140
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.