Dungeon Crawl Mafia - Game Over (Anyone May post here now!)

Started by RedPhoenix, January 26, 2016, 02:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Remiel on February 11, 2016, 01:32:50 AM
Red Phoenix, is there any way we could get a list of what powers everybody had, and what their RP victory conditions were?

Sure! Unless noted otherwise, people were vanilla at level 1 and leveled up by exploring the dungeon.

Blythe
Level 2 - Magic Cop (Limited Rolecop)
Level 3 - Tracker
Level 4 - Hider
Level 5 - Charm Person (could force someone to use their vote however he wanted)

Derwaysh
Had no abilities at all. He just had to find the shiny, which was on Level 3. He had no idea where it was, just that it was somewhere in the dungeon. He also didn't have an RP victory condition, since I figured his was tricky enough as it was.

James Moriarty
The Evil Wizard had a magic amulet that would fool every investigation type in the game. He would have come back as lawful good divine gods worshiping bard. It also leveled him up each night regardless of anything else that happened.

Level 2 - Plant Evidence, 1-Shot (which would make any investigation on anyone else come back bad, unfortunately he used it on RPGuy and was stopped by protection from evil)
Level 3 - Rolecop
Level 4 - 1-Shot BP
Level 5 - Roleblock

King Serperior
Level 2 - Gut Feeling (cop-like role, but his grandpappy's spirit would have refused to even consider investigating either of the half-orcs, or the tiefling)
Level 3 - Bodyguard
Level 4 - 1-shot bulletproof
Level 5 - bulletproof

Madame Professor
Level 2 - Faith Investigate
Level 3 - RP Victory Investigate (this was just in case the bad guys wanted to be jerks)
Level 4 - Hider
Level 5 - Daykill if she acquired the sword

Mintprincess
Leveled up each night she used her power, not exploring. If she had ever entered a dungeon 2 levels above her own it would have killed her.

Level 1 - Cosmetic effect (she made Derwaysh's hair stand up)
Level 2 - Law/Chaos Cop (turned skin colors)
Level 3 - Doctor (but also polymorphed and voteblocked)
Level 4 - Good/Evil Cop (but also stoneskinned and lynchproofed)
Level 5 - Told none (but see below...)

Persephone
Level 2 - 1-shot Lynchproof
Level 3 - Lynch bomb (would have killed the person casting the final vote on her if the party lynched her)
Level 4 - Tracker
Level 5 - PGO (would have killed anyone who visited her in the night)

RPGuy
Level 2 - Protection from Evil (1-shot couldn't be targeted by evil players, got the best possible block for the good guys, worst for bad guys)
Level 3 - Faith Cop
Level 4 - Lay On Hands (Could have cured Vera's plague curse)
Level 5 - Daykill if he acquired the Sword

Seranova
Was permanently level 1. He was told this at the start of the game, that if he ever went to level 3 he would die. He had the option to pick a mason partner day one. He picked Minty. When he died, she got a copy of his role PM.

Remiel
Level 2 - Doublevoter on target
Level 3 - One-Shot Doctor
Level 4 - Doctor
Level 5 - Resurrect (could have brought back one dead town player)

Strangefate
Level 2 - Tracker
Level 3 - Watcher
Level 4 - Would have become untraceable if he performed the kills
Level 5 - Would have been unstoppable if he performed the kills

Verasaille
Vera leveled up any day/night cycle a party member died. If she had ever entered a dungeon 2 levels above her own it would have killed her. Her abilities were all pretty unique (although she didn't like them much, sorry Vera :( ).

Level 2 - Weakness Hex (target and self take one less vote to kill)
Level 3 - Plague Curse (target and self both sick, whoever receives less votes the next day dies)
Level 4 - Shackles of Binding (self and target can't vote)
Level 5 - Crystal Prison (self and target both roleblocked and protected)

Yugi
Level 2 - Cat Form (Hider)
Level 3 - Wolf Form (Tracker)
Level 4 - Eagle Form (Watcher)
Level 5 - Elephant Form (would have gone nuts from being separated from his grove and trampled to death anyone his vote was on if they weren't eliminated)

The Dungeon:
Level 4 contained Minotaurs and a Sword. RPGuy and MP would have received PMs telling them that in their hands, it would have given them the power to perform a daykill. To anyone else it would have been just a sword with no powers.

Level 5 had mad cultists and the Deck of Many Things. A purely random effect would have been drawn if the party had used it. It would have wrecked total havoc on the game. However, Mintprincess could have controlled it if she was Level 5 as well, but she only learned this if the party went to Level 5 of the dungeon.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Derwaysh

Meanwhile in Goblin lands...
Ever emaciated albeit content from greed and blood of liberals, Goblin Trump sat upon his rump and composed his piece of mail to the LIAR-queen of liberals. “I do not like you. Your people don’t like you.” He dictated to another goblin who tried to jot everything down in his neat scrawl; “Even you don’t like yourself. You are too weak on many affairs and lack a team, a great team to get things done. I had a great team and look how well they did. I guided them to victory. My words made it possible for them to win. Some of them are even evangelicals now. Anyway I am building a great wall to separate my people from yours. Considering how many of them returned alive, I expect to be fully reimbursed. Let’s make a deal. Do we have a deal? Let's make a deal.”

He arranged the crown over one succinct head before looking at his goblin minister-in-arms. “Did you write it down? I am telling you, let’s sell this as a memento afterwards, we’ll make a lot of money, let's make a lot of money!”

‘Please remit payment for the cost of the wall, which totals to…’ And before him the minister-in-arms goblin smiled softly, scribbling an entirely different letter. “Have I ever let you down, friend?” He asked and Trump buckled over himself in guffaws of goblin laughter. Eventually as Goblin-Trump was lost in his bid to make dungeon the world great again, his Minister-in-arms, Goblin Cruz smiled softly and made his way to the portcullis, already happy that part one of his plans have reached fruition.
And I, methinks, am gone astray
In trackless wastes and lone.

Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name! | A peek is worth a thousand words!

A/A

Finals Week: Posting delays of up to 1 week/10 days

Galactic Druid

Okay, Vera's powers are a tally pretty cool. Also, you really played up the victim on that, Vera. "She did this you me, kill her!!"

So if Mint had the doctor power, does that mean she actually saved Remi's life?

I was wondering where this game came from, Red. Did you make it all yourself?
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

RedPhoenix

No, the night she used it on Remiel they killed Blythe.

I made most of it up myself, yeah. A lot of the roles are basic mafia type roles with little tweaks on them. :)

Galactic Druid

As we continued, I started to notice a lot of things I recognized, like Vera essentially being the lycan. That threw me for a while though; a lycan is a lycan, but Vera's reveal made me question if my power was a sure way to tell if a player was evil.

Honestly I really enjoyed the concept and the game. At first I was a little frustrated with how little I went in knowing compared to traditional mafia, but the longer it ran, the more I got into it, bordering on too much, lol.

RedPhoenix

Galactic Druid

I think a lot of people did, even when it got down to the wire.

You have a really good setup, if I would change one thing, it would be to have a more traditional voting timeline, a deadline to get votes in by, so people have a chance to make their case if they see themselves getting several votes, and it would also give people a little more time. I was kinda sad I missed the first day.

It was definitely fun to figure out who was who, I wonder if there's a way you could fairly randomize the roles and level abilities to keep things a mystery in future games...

RedPhoenix

For me that is the traditional way. It lets people get rid of discussion which is a totally viable tactic, usually for the bad guys. The shorter days are entirely up to the players. Everyone didn't have to instantly vote to no lynch on day one, for example. Having a deadline as the only day end just makes it so everyone waits until deadline to do that, which I think just draws things out for no real reason. 

Things I would have changed in hindsight, I probably would have not used the D&D alignments because that with the game alignment was confusing. I probably would not have used the RP victories as they were more of a distraction than anything else, and I probably would have had an OOC thread, I should have anticipated people having lots of basic questions about the game etc. I didn't do that mostly because I see too many people using the ooc thread to keep trying to persuade people to their side and I figured no ooc was the lesser evil, but I think having that would have given people more confidence in posting.  I also would have just announced that I had GM poked people and when they would be modkilled, but not who they were and just PM'd that. I think you were right about that, but the main thing with these games is you can't change the rules midway through them because people rely on the rules to make their strategies and screwing with them screws the players in an unfun way.

I also am toying with the idea of making some of the decisions that effect the game setup (the "should we explore") type decisions to be made first before anyone gets voted to be thrown out, so there is something to discuss even when the town players have no idea who to vote for, at least they have something to talk about and go from.

And if I run another game, it will also be built from scratch, I wouldn't run the same setup again. :)

Mintprincess

I have lots of comments but I'm at work but thank red. I had a lot of fun!!!! 

And told you I was good Vera!!!

Mintprincess

Quote from: Remiel on February 11, 2016, 01:33:57 AM
I figured mine was going to be impossible to do and didn't even bother trying.

And then, thanks to Mintprincess' indecision, you guys put me in the perfect position to hold the vote hostage!  I couldn't resist, sorry Guy!
I told you I would wait for you to get it lol.   

Galactic Druid

I don't blame you Remi, it was a smart tactic, even if at the time I was like "Come on man, I wanna win this thing!"

I'd play another of these in a heartbeat. You also gave me an idea for a new mafia type of my own, something sci fi with some options aside from elimination, like a resistance meets mafia thing. Gonna sit on it a while, figure out how to make it work...

King Serperior

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Verasaille

It was a good game. Sorry I have been distracted with real life issues.  :'(

The thing that frustrated me was the powers I had also hurt me. I was afraid to use them, for fear of giving myself away. In hindsight, I should not have used the curse, as it eliminated me. But I did figure out Minty was good. That is why I did not do more to confuse the issue. I wanted us to win and so did the sacrifice.

Let me know when you want to start your game, Guy. I like the use of the rp elements. But I do agree they should not overshadow the game itself.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Remiel

Red Phoenix, I actually enjoyed this game quite a lot, particularly the longer it went on.  It was a very good mix between the traditional Mafia formula and roleplaying elements.  At first, I was a little frustrated because I had absolutely no idea what I was doing; then, as the game went on, I realized that that was the point and that I should just relax and have a little fun with my role (I particularly enjoyed being a chicken!)

I felt bad for Yugi, because he was the first one eliminated and didn't really get a chance to play.  But that's not your fault; it's simply part and parcel of these types of games, and if there's a better way to balance the elimination dynamic so that more players get a chance to participate, I have no idea what it is.

I really, really liked the theme, of the different classes and alignments and everybody having different specialties.  It was a very creative twist on the Town of Salem model, and allowed us to have some fun with the game.  I even liked the rp objectives; they helped add to the flavor of the game and made for some very interesting situations (such as at the end of this one, where I refused to vote until I had achieved my rp victory!)

My only real complaint is that I wouldn't close the vote as soon as there was a simple majority.   I felt like it was unfair to the less active players, those who couldn't log in as much as others could; sometimes they ended up getting skipped entirely.   Ideally, if we were all in the same room, we'd want to have everyone weigh in; that way we'd get information about how everyone voted.   Also, it would allow people who aren't sure about their votes to be able to change their minds.

But I also understand that you also don't want to have the game stall out waiting for one inactive player.  My advice would be to set a hard time limit (I've generally found, from trial and error, that 72 hours to a round is pretty fair) and then close the vote at the end of that time period.  If someone has a majority, they're lynched; otherwise, nothing happens as the group bickers and argues.

That's really the only objection that I had.  Good show, it was fun, and I'd definitely sign up again.  :D

Madame Professor

Quote from: RedPhoenix on February 11, 2016, 09:47:46 AM
I also would have just announced that I had GM poked people and when they would be modkilled, but not who they were and just PM'd that. I think you were right about that, but the main thing with these games is you can't change the rules midway through them because people rely on the rules to make their strategies and screwing with them screws the players in an unfun way.

This was my main issue. Having little knowlegde didn't bother me as much, but telling everyone who didn't post, when there was now kill that night told everyone who the bad guys were. So I felt like I was doomed the whole game. The 24 hour night time deadline was a bit harsh for me, as well. I completely understand why you did it, in an interest to keep the game moving, but it gave the bad guys almost no time to discuss strategy when you consider different time zones and schedules.

Overall, though, I really enjoyed the concept a lot. Leveling and gaining powers is an interesting element to the game. I'd definitely play again.
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Remiel

I agree.  I think you should give the Night phase at least 48 hours for things to happen.

Derwaysh

I had a lot of fun. Thanks for bearing with Der-silliness and if you ever run this or a similar game again, I'd love to join in!

Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name! | A peek is worth a thousand words!

A/A

Galactic Druid

That's also why I mentioned it before in thread, but I didn't want to just say it mid game. What Remi pointed out is what I've always considered the traditional system, based on where I've seen and ran mafia.

The tabletop version I run has completely different mechanics. A person is nominated for the kill. Then every player casts a vote to lynch or not (they live in a tie). If they live, they cannot be nominated again that day, and if we actually manage to go through all the players with no lynch, then it's night. Sadly, that would just take forever on a forum, I can't imagine having 4-7 votes in a single day online. I've always liked the 72hr system, with maybe a little bonus time on weekends.

Remiel

Quote from: Derwaysh on February 11, 2016, 11:44:24 AM
I had a lot of fun. Thanks for bearing with Der-silliness and if you ever run this or a similar game again, I'd love to join in!

Derwaysh, the Trump goblin was hilarious.  I would've voted him for President, even knowing he was probably up to no good.

Galactic Druid

The first two rounds I was really conflicted; let Derwaysh live because he's hilarious, or take the only chance I'll ever get to try and eliminate Trump...

Derwaysh

No doubt the struggle is real, mate. XD

Guy; ...and look what you did (or didn't), he's a King now!

A/A

Verasaille

Oh I thought the Trump Goblin was hilarious!! I did not want to vote for him, just to see what he was going to do next!! Well played Derwaysh!

Remi, your playing was fantastic too. I could not stop laughing at your chicken!!

I totally suspected Guy, I really thought he was a bad one. Good thing that last round went well!

Minty I loved your green haired dwarf! I did not really think you were good until after I had cast the curse.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Verasaille on February 11, 2016, 11:18:41 AMThe thing that frustrated me was the powers I had also hurt me. I was afraid to use them, for fear of giving myself away.

In most mafia games it is no brainer to use powers, like you have the power to investigate someone, why the heck not? I wanted to see if I could come up with something a little more strategic, something that was designed with holding it back until you were sure and then letting it loose on your unsuspecting target. The plague curse was designed for someone who was sure somebody else was a bad guy but who had the town fooled, it was a way of taking things into your own hands. It was a pretty tricky set of powers, definitely the most complex of anyone, I'm sorry it was more frustrating then fun. :(

Quote from: Remiel on February 11, 2016, 11:26:06 AM(Deadline Stuff)

There's probably a compromise in here. Like, at least 24 hours (plus rounding up time) before a majority can be reached, but day ends at 72 (plus rounding up time). I don't like plurality votes, it takes away the challenge of needing to convince people to vote with you and encourages lurking, so I probably won't ever use those, but giving some buffer time for people to talk and vote on any non-elimination thingys is fine.

Quote from: Madame Professor on February 11, 2016, 11:36:10 AM
This was my main issue. Having little knowlegde didn't bother me as much, but telling everyone who didn't post, when there was now kill that night told everyone who the bad guys were. So I felt like I was doomed the whole game. The 24 hour night time deadline was a bit harsh for me, as well. I completely understand why you did it, in an interest to keep the game moving, but it gave the bad guys almost no time to discuss strategy when you consider different time zones and schedules.

Overall, though, I really enjoyed the concept a lot. Leveling and gaining powers is an interesting element to the game. I'd definitely play again.

This was very unfortunate and part of what made me realize it was a bad idea. To be fair though, figuring out who was inactive was something anyone could have read through the thread and seen (and it was based only on posts made in the thread, not night actions) but yeah, announcing it that way made it really hard for you, which coupled with the fact that you had the weakest bad guy role, yeah, unfortunate. I'm sorry. :/

There are also better anti-lurker mechanics I have been thinking of than just starting with pokes and straight to mod kills.

A 48 hour night deadline action is perfectly fine I think. I would use that next time.

Quote from: Derwaysh on February 11, 2016, 11:44:24 AM

I facepalmed so hard when you admitted to being a goblin. Then watched in stunned amusement as everyone saw no problem with there being a goblin. In a dungeon. Happily pretending to be one of the adventurers. Very well done. :)

Overall it was fun for me, I'm sorry not everyone enjoyed it and I wish I had done better and realized these things before running it, but I guess that's life. Thank you very much everyone who played. :)

Blythe

Was a nice game, folks, just wanted to pop back in now that it's done and say that it was great. I was a bit confused at first, but I went with my gut about voting patterns, which seemed to be a decent enough strategy.

Anyways, thanks, everyone--I had fun. ^^

Galactic Druid

Yeah, once again, kudos to Derwaysh for playing his actual role and still winning. XD