Unusual way to improve diplomatic relations

Started by Swedish Steel, February 25, 2008, 01:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swedish Steel

Were just reading a swedish paper. An 18 year old boy were out last night with his team mates, he is an athlete, celebrating a victory. Out of nowhere, and all the vitnesses say it was totally unprovoced, some guy just punches him out, he lost 4 teeth and got a serious concussion. The man is apprehended on the spot, but is released by the police a few hours later. Why? Seems he is an american diplomat, with diplomatic immunity.
Good job, that, sending guys like this to try improve diplomatic relations with the nations around the world. The thought that he will get away with it really irks me.
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

kongming

I'm surprised the police didn't say "Immunity? Really? So if I did this" (punching him in the face/stomach) "then it wouldn't hurt because you're immune? Cool." and enjoy a good round of "Kick the foreigner" (a sport played all around the world).

I sort of hope they manage to get the EU to decide Russia is cooler than America and to give support to Vladimir Putin, voted political leader with the coolest name.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

NightBird

You know, I'm sure we can find bad apples who work for departments of state all around the world. I make an effort to assess the individual rather than the nation and consider the socio-political situation of the country at the time. It would be really nice to receive the same courtesy in return. Yeah, we've had eight years of problems with the executive branch, and the appointments there have suffered, but it honestly has happened with other nation's governments at other times... rather a laundry list, actually, if you're willing to go back a century or so.

Also, on the global stage, Russia's support for Iranian nuclear systems ought to be more of a concern than a cool name. I don't think they're terribly close to having something functional, but the region is volatile enough (thanks to poor decisions made in the aftermath of WWI by France and Britain) that nuclear capability ought to be a concern.

And to prevent this from rolling over into a rant, I'll just promise that this is all I'll say on this topic in this thread... or likely any other.

Swedish Steel

On Off page:

Elvi

I believe, Nightbird, that this wasn't a critisism over the said person being 'American', I think Swede is annoyed that 'anyone', who has the power to claim 'Diplomatic Immunity', can liturely get away with anything.

Used for the right reasons, Immunity is a useful tool and a safeguard.
Used in the wrong manner, then incidents like this and far worse, happen.

Finally, I am at a complete loss as to your mini rant on the Russian/Iraq/wwI thing comes into this at all.....
And on that matter, I also don't see Kong's last point relavent either....
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Apple of Eris

I remember when in New York City they were having problems with all the UN people driving illegaly, drunk, double parking, and getting away with it since they had diplomatic immunity. So the mayor (might have been guliani, I forget) decided to just ignore that and impound their vehicles anyway, despite protests by the US state department. I always liked that move.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

HairyHeretic

Doesn't diplomatic immunity generally mean if they commit a crime they're removed from service, and tried in their own country? Or is that only for more serious things?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Kazyth

A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Swedish Steel

There were apperantly two options available: either the US revoces his immunity so we can prosecute him here, or they can recall him and prosecute him themselves. Neither is likely to happen, according to a professor of international law that they intervued. He'll get a slap on the wrist, but that's about it.

On Off page:

Swedish Steel

I went back an reread it, and it seems like it was an actual diplomat, not a family member. It was hard to find the article again, for some reason it was filed under sports, just because the victim is an athlete!?!
I actually thought this would've been treated as bigger news, only one of the papers are running with it. This irritates me even more.

On Off page:

Trieste

Poor kid ... although yeah, I'm surprised it's an actual diplomat and not a family member ... Very odd. Very odd. I wonder if he was off some sort of medication or something. Either that or the whole story may not be being shared with the press. *shrugs*

Jefepato

Swedish Steel

There were a short follow up article. Apperantly the fuckup's boss were called to the swedish UD (foreign department) were he recieved a protest and got to look at the police report himself. The embassy is going to start their own investigation into his behavior it seems.
Oh, and the name of the boss? Robert Hilton. I tell you, they are everywhere!

On Off page: