Interest Check: Equal Opportunity Butt Kicking!

Started by MadPanda, April 05, 2011, 11:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPanda

Feng Shui, the roleplaying game of Hong Kong Action Movie Reality, has again crossed my boards.

As yet, this project is still on the drawing board, but we've got an Uberkid (sort of) ready to find fellow Dragons to help her dismantle some people who really need to loosen up...and I promise not to inflict that damn Monkey on people this time 'round.

Almost certainly looking to start in the Contemporary Juncture and get weirder later on as the Secret Time Wars heat up with great vengeance and furious anger!

Those without the core book may find the material here to be of considerable utility:
http://www.atlas-games.com/pdf_storage/fs_briefings.pdf
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Kunoichi

*wonders if all the references in the above post will be confusing to people who've never played Feng Shui*

I've got my character for this game completed, so if anyone would like any help making a character, I'd just like to say that I'm available to help. ^^ And also that character creation in this system is both quick and easy, unlike in certain other systems on the market.

Muse

Oh, lord! 

I haven't played this in forever. 

Darn, it, count me in! 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Geeklet

Never heard of the system, but I do love a good fight. Tomorrow when I'm less tired I'll have a look through that link...

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: Kunoichi on April 06, 2011, 12:23:32 AM
*wonders if all the references in the above post will be confusing to people who've never played Feng Shui*

I've got my character for this game completed, so if anyone would like any help making a character, I'd just like to say that I'm available to help. ^^ And also that character creation in this system is both quick and easy, unlike in certain other systems on the market.

Okay do help. I like martial arts games so lets have at it if this game is gonna be played here on the boards via tabletop.

Jefepato

I'm conflicted.  I like Feng Shui, but I don't much care for the setting at all.

ReijiTabibito

Okay, so...the fact that two of my more prodigious writing partners have tag-teamed me into joining (though one doesn't know it) is partly why I'm here.

I'm also here...so I can indulge in my Tequila tendencies.

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

MadPanda

Wowzers!  Guess I'd better think of a title!

So, for the record...any template out of the books is fair game, and if you really gotta play something a bit odd, remember that Mister GM is mildly corrupt.

This will be played out here, online.

We're starting in the contemporary juncture, possibly even with the adventure in the book (to save on GMly wear and tear).

In Memory of Bishrook

Kunoichi

And if you don't have any of the books, all the character templates were made available for free here.

Muse

If you don't have anyone doing magic yet, is a sorcerer's apprentice type acceptable? 

I have the image of a modern girl with the right stuff becoming apprentice to a sorcerer from Juncture 69 and being taken to Hong Kong for training.  Maybe her sifu has now disapeared--was it a deliberate way of teaching her independence, or are more sinister forces involved? 

Alternativly... 

Is there a prehensile hair schtick anywhere?  :D 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

MadPanda

Such an apprentice (most easily done using the Scrappy Kid template from 69AD with adjustments) has one tiny drawback--quite possibly underaged!

But not an impossible situation, if is more of a Scrappy Teen.

So far as I am aware, there is no prehensile hair schtick, but some of the Creature Powers would work.

In Memory of Bishrook

Kunoichi

Yeah, reflavoring the Tentacle shtick would work for prehensile hair. ^^ So... what, Supernatural Creature, Abomination, or Ghost?

*looks through list*

Huh.  Or Science Ninja. Oo;

Geeklet

Looking through things, not that familiar with the rules, is it possible for a character to have schticks that aren't listed under their type?

MadPanda

How so?

Some types are more restricted than others.  Some are unique to a given template.  And some just aren't appropriate (Transformed Animals do not get Sorcery shticks...ever.)

In Memory of Bishrook

Kunoichi

Generally no, but the book does encourage the GM to bend the rules a little in that area if the player's got a good character concept in mind.

Muse

lol  I wasn't thinking someone that young.  More like a modern sorcerer.  Little less rich, not quite so much sorcery, and more diverse skills. 

Does the game assume every charecter is built on template variation? 

MadPanda

No--the templates are the usual way of building characters.

In Memory of Bishrook

Kunoichi

Pretty much, yes. ^^; Like in action movies, characters start out as one of a variety of common archetypes.  What differentiates them from other characters of the same archetype is where they develop from there.  So, you start out as, say, an Everyman Hero or a Karate Cop, customize the character type as far as it allows you to, and then get to playing from there.

It's a very quick and easy form of character creation. ^^

MadPanda

Now for the important question--there will likely be naughtiness from time to time, but I'd like to keep that to side threads and brief when it happens...

Y'all want this Light?  Or Bondage?  Mister GM no likee the non-consensual stuff.

In Memory of Bishrook

Kunoichi

Given that this is the sort of game that allows for cybernetically-augmented, hyper-intelligent primates as player characters, we might end up in Extreme, you know. :P

We probably won't be unless someone decides they want to play a jetpack-wearing, bazooka-wielding monkey, though. ;D

I'm fine with either Light or Bondage, myself.

MadPanda

Errr, no.  That's be Exotic.  Extreme refers to the sort of things that happen in the game.

Feng Shui falls under the Exotic category already (Ghosts, Cyborgs, TA's...)

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Kunoichi on April 06, 2011, 03:15:29 PM
And if you don't have any of the books, all the character templates were made available for free here.

Also, I might be able to facilitate acquisition of the Core Rules, should anyone want to PM me. ^^;

*Ahem*

Rule 5: This server is governed by the laws of the United States. You will not link to or provide warez, illegal pdfs or mp3s, and so on. Threats will be dealt with accordingly.

I have no doubt you simply meant you could provide directions to a webstore where the game could be purchased, right? :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Laughing Hyena

I still need help trying to make a character Kuinochi and whats the setting in place at the moment?

MadPanda

Contemporary Juncture.
Hong Kong, early spring, 1997.

In Memory of Bishrook