Chic-Fil-Gay day.

Started by Brazen Endeavors, August 03, 2012, 08:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen Endeavors

Good morning, everyone.  I'm sure, by now, many of you have heard about the company president's stance on gay marriage and their recent Appreciation day.

I've heard quite a bit about today being Chic-Fil-Gay day, where same sex partners go to their local branch and share a kiss in front of customers.  Of course, I have my own thoughts and opinions concerning this, but I am curious to hear other POVs.  Opinions and the like.  If you have plans to participate, I'd love to hear how it goes. 
..I want you.  I have seen you and I already love you.  My muse begs to lie in your arms; just for a moment.  I need you..
...come play with me?...
.:.o/o.:.intro.:.a/a.:.
(updated o/o - 7.16.12)

Callie Del Noire

Hmmmmm.  I don't think it's worth any sensible persons time to do.  The guy isn't going to magically change his tune, the core customers arent the problem and the ultra conservatives will react badly (as usual) to it.

Of course after I met the CEO years ago, I don't do any business at all with him. And Im not one of the folks he is against. (Personally I support Gay marriage as I think stable relationships of all sorts should be fostered and most of the same sex couples I know have been in secret for a while. Military couples)

Sasquatch421

If they want to then more power to them. I see it as a waste of time though.... All it's going to do is stir the pot and maybe get some people angry. It might start some fights as well, depending on who is present.

Honestly I'm just tired of hearing about it though. I think it's stupid to base where a person goes to eat based on how the CEO looks at marriage. It's his opinion and this eat here if you love religion and marriage being a man and woman, or don't eat here if you support same sex marriage is a bit to far.... What drives where I eat? My stomach....

I'm for doing what makes person happy with in reason of course. Melting down a bus full of nuns might make someone happy, but it's not right so that is out the window. If two people truly love each other then yes they should get married it doesn't matter if they are man and a woman, man and a man, woman and a woman, or a 7'5" man and a midget....

Beguile's Mistress

It's a demonstration of support for same-sex marriage but it's like poking a hornets nest with a stick.  You might get stung but so would everyone around you.  The store is a family type restaurant and is it worth showing a group of children that grown ups can act like two-year-olds?  Hand out flyers or picket near the store but demonstrations of public affection as a protest turn me off.

Personally, I stopped patronizing the place once I learned about their politics and anti-gay stance even though I thing their waffle fries could beat McDonalds hands down.

Silverfyre

Perhaps your stomach rules where you eat but my wallet rules mine.  I refuse to give money to a company that advocates a message of intolerance under the guise of "religious freedom" and "free speech".  It disgusts me that these people would call themselves Christians and act in such a manner.

Oniya

You just jogged my memory to post about crinkle-cut mandolins to all my Facebook friends.  I support the boycott, but the kiss-in... could get contentious.  Many of the posts I've seen about boycotting (when I see any regret at all) have mentioned waffle-fries, so looking one up and posting how to use it is my own way of supporting it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

From what I understand, the issue isn't simply 'the CEO dislikes Gay marriage', but the fact that the company makes corporate donations to anti-LGBT groups. Thus, buying their food is, indirectly, supporting anti-LGBT activities to some fraction.

Beguile's Mistress

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 03, 2012, 09:29:33 AM
From what I understand, the issue isn't simply 'the CEO dislikes Gay marriage', but the fact that the company makes corporate donations to anti-LGBT groups. Thus, buying their food is, indirectly, supporting anti-LGBT activities to some fraction.

This.  And, source.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Oniya on August 03, 2012, 09:34:27 AM
This.  And, source.

Thanks. I had found it as True on Snopes via Google, but Snopes isn't exactly a peer-reviewed journal-level source.

Oniya

I back-tracked it from a HuffPost article - also not peer-reviewed, but link-tracking has been a hobby of mine since before I had a computer.

Florence

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on August 03, 2012, 09:13:00 AM
If they want to then more power to them. I see it as a waste of time though.... All it's going to do is stir the pot and maybe get some people angry. It might start some fights as well, depending on who is present.

Honestly I'm just tired of hearing about it though. I think it's stupid to base where a person goes to eat based on how the CEO looks at marriage. It's his opinion and this eat here if you love religion and marriage being a man and woman, or don't eat here if you support same sex marriage is a bit to far.... What drives where I eat? My stomach....

I'm for doing what makes person happy with in reason of course. Melting down a bus full of nuns might make someone happy, but it's not right so that is out the window. If two people truly love each other then yes they should get married it doesn't matter if they are man and a woman, man and a man, woman and a woman, or a 7'5" man and a midget....

I think what you might be missing is that its not just the CEO's position, its a matter of where the money you're spending is going. It's easy to say that politics shouldn't matter, but if you know that the money you spend is going to go towards aiding political movements you despise, how can you be comfortable spending that money there?

I will say, though... this whole thing is probably giving them no shortage of publicity. I'll be honest... maybe they just don't have any branches near me... but I never even HEARD of Chic-Fil-A until all of this. I mean, this whole fiasco single handedly made me aware that Chic-Fil-A is a THING. Granted its a thing that I will now strictly avoid under any circumstances.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Brazen Endeavors

Ah, Glyph, I contested the same point to a right wing conservative.  She's a good friend and wonderful perso, but we disagree strongly on politics and religion.  I shared a post on FB about this, and she stated, "Don't be fooled, they're demonstrating freedom of speech and freedom of religion."  My response was, "Of course.  Spearheaded by a CEO that provides monetary support to organizations who try to strip Americans of their basic rights".

I don't necessarily support the method of protest, but I do support the message.  There was a brief moment where I was tempted to grab a girl friend and share a kiss.  Mostly, though, I think I'll watch from the sidelines and stop buying from them.

Checkers fries are way better, anyway.  Mmm...
..I want you.  I have seen you and I already love you.  My muse begs to lie in your arms; just for a moment.  I need you..
...come play with me?...
(updated o/o - 7.16.12)

Oniya

Quote from: Brazen Endeavors on August 03, 2012, 09:40:11 AM
I don't necessarily support the method of protest, but I do support the message.  There was a brief moment where I was tempted to grab a girl friend and share a kiss.  Mostly, though, I think I'll watch from the sidelines and stop buying from them.

I'm 100% androsexual (even my male characters like guys) and I was tempted.  O:)

Callie Del Noire

Like I said.. when I met him.. I got some sort of 'vibe' I didn't like. There was just something.. smug and a bit sanctimonious about him. Like the religious types I went to school with and my portion of the south dealt with all the time. (PTL, Oral Roberts, ect). I just.. didn't like him and wouldn't want to deal with him. So, I didn't.

I appreciate the idea behind the Kiss-in but the crowd you're dealing with won't respond to it positively. You're going to have them lock arms, and actually improve his business in some areas. I know folks I grew up with who would literally go MILES out of their way to get one up on the 'sick people' doing this to a 'poor honest christian'.

I support gay marriage, though I am thinking it's more prudent to take a slow long off approach in steps that the rigid moral conservatives taht have hijacked my party (yeah.. I consider myself a moderate republican) need to stay in power. Conflict empowers these folks, they LOVE to feel put upon and persecuted. Moving on a lower level, pushing forward civil unions and rights of couples to the same things as folks with marriage licenses and such. It sucks, I won't lie, but nothing worth doing isn't worth working the long road to get. Rev. King knew that when he got involved in Civil Rights in the US.. it was going to take years. And it did.

I know it doesn't look like it now.. but there has been progress. Once upon a time.. being gay was a 'disease' that could get you locked up. You could be beaten and no one would give a damn..the authorities wouldn't help you. You could be murdered and folks wouldn't give a damn. Now, its' a hate crime, and things are changing.

In this case... I don't think confrontation will do anything but empower him and his.

Brazen Endeavors

Quote from: Oniya on August 03, 2012, 09:42:23 AM
I'm 100% androsexual (even my male characters like guys) and I was tempted.  O:)

Inorite?  I'm married with two hellions, and I was thinking of taking the whole family +1 and share a kiss.

Callie, I agree with a lot of what you say, and I do think we're on the right track.  Ten years ago there was no same-sex marriage, period.  Now, state by state, its encroaching.  Slowly, but surely, its becoming more accepted and normal.

It was disheartening to see the coverage given to Chic-Fil-A over all of this, and to know its continuing today.  Boycotting really does seem more effective, and with far less of this lucrative media coverage.
...come play with me?...
(updated o/o - 7.16.12)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Dr. Martin Luther King, Letters from a Birmingham Jail
Prior to reading Gandhi, I had about concluded that the ethics of Jesus were only effective in individual relationships. The "turn the other cheek" philosophy and the "love your enemies" philosophy were only valid, I felt, when individuals were in conflict with other individuals; when racial groups and nations were in conflict, a more realistic approach seemed necessary. But after reading Gandhi, I saw how utterly mistaken I was.

Gandhi was probably the first person in history to lift the love ethic of Jesus above mere interaction between individuals to a powerful and effective social force on a large scale. Love for Gandhi was a potent instrument for social and collective transformation. It was in this Gandhian emphasis on love and nonviolence that I discovered the method for social reform that I had been seeking.

I do not want to give the impression that nonviolence will work miracles overnight. When the underprivileged demand freedom, the privileged first react with bitterness and resistance. Even when the demands are couched in nonviolent terms, the initial response is the same. So the nonviolent approach does not immediately change the heart of the oppressor. It first does something to the hearts and souls of those committed to it. It gives them new self-respect; it calls up resources of strength and courage that they did not know they had. Finally, it reaches the opponent and so stirs his conscience that reconciliation becomes a reality.

I have come to see more and more the need for the method of nonviolence in international relations. While I was convinced during my student days of the power of nonviolence in group conflicts within nations, I was not yet convinced of its efficacy in conflicts between nations. I felt that while war could never be a positive or absolute good, it could serve as a negative good in the sense of preventing the spread and growth of an evil force. War, I felt, horrible as it is, might be preferable to surrender to a totalitarian system. But more and more I have come to the conclusion that the potential destructiveness of modern weapons of war totally rules out the possibility of war ever serving again as a negative good. If we assume that mankind has a right to survive then we must find an alternative to war and destruction. In a day when sputniks dash through outer space and guided ballistic missiles are carving highways of death through the stratosphere, nobody can win a war. The choice today is no longer between violence and nonviolence. It is either nonviolence or nonexistence.

I am no doctrinaire pacifist. I have tried to embrace a realistic pacifism. Moreover, I see the pacifist position not as sinless but as the lesser evil in the circumstances. Therefore I do not claim to be free from the moral dilemmas that the Christian nonpacifist confronts. But I am convinced that the church cannot remain silent while mankind faces the threat of being plunged into the abyss of nuclear annihilation. If the church is true to its mission it must call for an end to the arms race.

A wise man.. this is not a fight that can be won by kissing someone beloved in the lobby of a fast food restaurant. This is a fight that will be one by patience, tolerance..and like the Dr. said.. loving those that hate us. We are all human beings, we feel.. we hurt, we bleed, we live.. we die.

My guiding principal this election isn't to vote for the 'lesser evil' but to listen to the men and women asking for my vote..and voting for the one who doesn't rely on fear. Who doesn't point the finger and defines his foe as the 'evil corrupting this country/world/hovel'.

It started before 9/11, but since then I feel .. we vote our fears. Something in us, as a country, has withered and sickened. We vote out of fear. In fear of what we might lose, or what others might 'take' from us, or force on us.

I'm done.. I'm calling family and finding out what they are doing.. I want to hear about my nieces and nephew, in-laws and what my brothers are doing, how my mom and dad are doing.

Torch

I'm not sure why folks are surprised by Mr. Cathy's views. This is a company that is closed on Sundays, ostensibly to give their employees the day to worship with their families. The fact that the Cathy family does not support gay marriage should not come as a surprise to anyone, especially folks from Georgia (like me) who have long known of the family's support of conservative Christian causes.

This is not exactly a revelation, it's old news where I come from.  *shrug*
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Beguile's Mistress

It's not old news to those of us who are only now or have recently heard about this.  While the company has been in my area (Western Pennsylvania) for many years it's presence isn't a major one.  I've bought food there about a dozen times over the years when I was unaware of the nature of their politics.  Now that I know I won't eat there again. 

I'm 32 and don't know everything, yet.

Oniya

I haven't known everything since I was about 16.  ;D

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on August 03, 2012, 09:39:07 AM
I think what you might be missing is that its not just the CEO's position, its a matter of where the money you're spending is going. It's easy to say that politics shouldn't matter, but if you know that the money you spend is going to go towards aiding political movements you despise, how can you be comfortable spending that money there?

I will say, though... this whole thing is probably giving them no shortage of publicity. I'll be honest... maybe they just don't have any branches near me... but I never even HEARD of Chic-Fil-A until all of this. I mean, this whole fiasco single handedly made me aware that Chic-Fil-A is a THING. Granted its a thing that I will now strictly avoid under any circumstances.

I don't even think we have a Chic-Fil-A here in the great state of Nebraska. If we do it's probably in Omaha or Lincoln... So me spending money there is a moot point.

Torch

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on August 03, 2012, 10:45:39 AM
It's not old news to those of us who are only now or have recently heard about this. 

Well, that was sort of my point. Companies don't give up 1/7 of a week's worth of profits just on a whim, they only do it because they have to (i.e. state or local blue laws) or because TPTB want it that way.

All the folks who are shocked never bothered to figure out that the Chick Fil A corporation is Christian-based? Really? Why did they think the stores are closed on Sundays? Just for the heck of it?

Come on, no one ever connected the dots?
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

On's and Off's

Torch

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 03, 2012, 08:43:03 AM

Of course after I met the CEO years ago, I don't do any business at all with him.

Callie, did you meet Truett or Dan?

The reason I ask is because I met Truett years ago when I was in college (He was the guest speaker at a symposium I attended in Atlanta). I actually liked him a lot, he was very personable and was patient with all of our questions. I've never met Dan (the currect CFA CEO) so I don't know what he's like.

On's and Off's

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Torch on August 03, 2012, 10:58:38 AM
Well, that was sort of my point. Companies don't give up 1/7 of a week's worth of profits just on a whim, they only do it because they have to (i.e. state or local blue laws) or because TPTB want it that way.

All the folks who are shocked never bothered to figure out that the Chick Fil A corporation is Christian-based? Really? Why did they think the stores are closed on Sundays? Just for the heck of it?

Come on, no one ever connected the dots?

It's not so much that they didn't bother but that they didn't notice.  The company kept themselves pretty much under the radar that way.  I don't shop much on Sunday so I probably wouldn't have noticed and most people would just accept the place closes on Sundays because some people actually do voluntarily not open on Sunday. 

It takes someone in the know, like the people in Georgia who supposedly knew, to make a noise and get the bandwagon rolling.

Torch

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on August 03, 2012, 11:10:12 AM
most people would just accept the place closes on Sundays because some people actually do voluntarily not open on Sunday. 

Right, and the people that do voluntarily close on Sunday do it because of religious reasons, just like shops in Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods are closed on Saturdays to observe the Sabbath (something that I had never seen until I moved to NYC).

I'm just marveling at all the folks who happily ate their chicken sandwiches last month while never once considering if perhaps the store they are patronizing is closed on Sundays because of the owner's religious views.

I know if I went to a restaurant that was closed on Sundays (traditionally a heavy profit day in the food service industry), the first thing I would think of would be "Damn, they must be hard core Jesus freaks".

On's and Off's