News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Fire Emblem (Interest Check)

Started by Latooni Subota, November 13, 2011, 11:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silk

yeah, would be fairly tricky given this game concept though, since at least if your just controling the one side, you can go full combat without GM character favortism etc (Sorry got a real jaded veiw of running games because of ungrateful players)

Sabre

Made some slight changes to my stat growths.  If it's alright, I can work on my own sprite sheet to help out - the question is should I stick to the plain allied soldier sprite, or recolor Ephraim's sprite from FE8?  My character image is a recolor of Ephraim after all.  As for progression, I had in mind a Sentinel.

So are we agreed on the GM?  If there's some question or concern over the matter, I wouldn't mind being the GM or co-GM to move things along.

Kunoichi

I actually recolored a Soldier sprite to look a lot like your character image, believe it or not.  It's only one sprite, though, so feel free to work on your own full sprite sheet if you'd like.

ZameRagues

Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues#8888
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Latooni Subota

Sabre, if you want to take over then I have no problems with it, assuming you're up to the task. Your Soldier can be one of our obligatory NPC Allies, yeah? :3
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Sabre

Hm, I suppose I can't control him in battle while also being GM, huh?  Someone else could direct him then, but would it be possible for me to still RP with him outside of battle?  What would you guys be looking for an a GM as far as duties go, and boundaries?

Latooni Subota

Well, it's Fire Emblem, the only system where having a DMPC or three is actually allowed, imo. As long as he doesn't take the focus away from the PCs in plot and stuff, that is. *Thinks*

Like . .  for example you could keep him around for RP and stuff as, say, my noblewoman's bodyguard? If she was actually a princess, or a member of an important noble house?

Edit: Really, I'd focus on thinking up stuff about the setting we're gonna use, or make, first. Then work on the other things after that's squared away.

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Sabre

Not a problem since I had no plans on making him a 'Lord' type of character but a knightly soldier.  On that note, what are people's thoughts so far on the story?  What sort of general plot should we follow, and will we elect a 'Lord' character from among the other players or have everyone follow an NPC?

Edit: Perhaps it would be best if we came up with a short storyline to get used to things.  Kind of like Lyn's story in FE7 which acts as a long tutorial for the rest of the game.

Latooni Subota

Well, there are lots of ways to go about it. Why don't we just brainstorm general ideas for you to pick from, and build on. Stuff like "Mercenary Corps being hired by a particular country (or choice of countries) to help in one of those giant continent-ruining wars".

ZameRagues

We could do a story of searching for an item, as the "prologue", then the main story being using the item against an enemy of some kind. Could throw in a part where we have to restore it's power if it has any. Just an idea anyways.
Pure Impulse Plays
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Sabre

A war of some kind is usually a given, and usually becomes a huge affair even if the story at first only starts with a minor skirmish or coup d'etat.

Off the top of my head, there are a few ideas that justify a rag-tag band like ours, like in every Fire Emblem.

- We're already part of a mercenary company, a Lord's retinue, a popular rebel group, or a city's militia.
- We're mostly lone individuals who are forced together into an impromptu unit.

Both can be mixed together to suit each character, as in a few or most are part of a team already and the rest are forced to join them.

Next comes the goal, but that is even more flexible depending on the initial scope of the plot.  A smaller nation or kingdom or duchy (or even just a free city) facing an invasion from a powerful neighbor; a regional free-for-all between several kingdoms in one part of the world; a minor rebellion, a revolution of peasants/nobles/free cities, or a civil war; a clash between two empires/alliances spilling over or affecting a neutral kingdom; a holy crusade against heretics/monsters; and so on and so forth.

Latooni Subota

A lot of those sound good to me, to be honest. I like the idea of a sudden rebellion against a tyrannical small country (us being some of the people rebellion). Starts things off on a smaller scale, and we can use it to get everyone used to the basic unit types and rules.

If/when we succeed, then we open it up to the rest of continent, where our little coup has made various people nervous enough to throw things off, and the obligatory big bad country decides to take advantage of all the confusion and political stress and starts marching on nearby countries. Maybe via using monsters to supplement their troops towards the latter chunk of the campaign?

Sabre

A small rebellion against a minor tyrant like a count or marquess works I think.  It gives us a simple bad-guy-you-love-to-hate and a quick campaign to get used to the flow of the game, each other, and our own characters.  How this small rebellion is fought on our end is also malleable, and we can either fight straightforward battles towards the tyrant's capital or focus our small party on 'side-missions' that the leaders of the larger rebellion need done (ZameRagues' idea, for instance).

Basically, it'll help our level 1 characters toughen up a little before having to deal with the really nasty things that are sure to come later.  What does everyone else think?

Hoshino

Latooni mentioned this to me from another source, and I've been looking for a Fire Emblem game for a while. It'd be my first time playing with a lot of you, and I do hope I get a chance (and that there's room for one more, of course). Right now, if there is room, it's a tossup between a Cavalier/Social Knight, a Fighter, and a Fencer.

I have to say I like how the starter campaign is shaping up. Maybe some of the more well off players (the knight, the soldier, the wyvern knight) are subordinates of the evil count who are persuaded to the hero's side (another Fire Emblem staple)?

Sabre

If you mean recruiting, then sure.  It's up to the players themselves if they want to join the main party in this way, though they don't have to.  A rebellion doesn't have to be nobles vs. commoners of course, so if no one wants to or if it seems to complicated, we could all be apart of another character's retinue as his/her knights from the very beginning.

From what I see, we're mostly in need of axe users since most of our melee fighters are lancers, but a sword fighter is also welcome I think as we have just one so far.

Latooni Subota

since i'm planning on having Cecilia be one of those wandering minor nobles, she'll likely be one of the people to join the rebellion at the start, if not one of the people STARTING it with the others. She's a good girl! And fights for justice!

Edit: Or a princess. I like playing princesses. Don't I, Hoshino? XD

Edit2: might I suggest at some point pre-statting just a random bunch of character types that you can tweak/level-up, so you don't have to do un-necessary math between every map?

Sabre

Yeah, that's on my to-do list already.  As of this moment I'm finishing up a basic combat calculator in spreadsheet form so I can just punch in a few numbers and get results like damage, hit and dodge rates, and even experience gained.  I still need to add some inputs like the character and class traits.

Mysterica

Another possible idea, building on to what is already there is that the rightfully ruler's position was passed over in favor of the royal advisors figure because the lordling was too young (possible murder plot by the advisor) and he began forcing out new policies and set up diplomatic ties with former enemies (another possible thing that could be expanded upon in 'real' campaign) to set himself up as the permanence ruler and banishing the lord from the kingdom.

Now, years later, the lordling has grown up and sees the wrongs being done in her home and sets out on a mission to overthrow the new ruler and take his/her country back.

Revelation

I was actually going to discuss having my wyvern rider be on team badguys (Be it the main group or whatever the introductory villains are), and having him defect early on. That seems to be something of a cliche/trope for the wyvern riders I feel, and I always like the heel face turn. My character would be a common born soldier, so when the rebellion starts, he sees exactly how the 'knights' and other riders/soldiers are treating the people (oppression/brutality), and turns/becomes a rebel himself. If this is the case though, i'd prefer him not to start immediately with the rebels/good guys, but I imagine at or around the first mission/combat he can defect.

Sabre

For the sake of tradition, I can certainly accommodate a wyvern rider recruitment event.

Quote from: Mysterica on November 19, 2011, 12:55:37 AM
Another possible idea, building on to what is already there is that the rightfully ruler's position was passed over in favor of the royal advisors figure because the lordling was too young (possible murder plot by the advisor) and he began forcing out new policies and set up diplomatic ties with former enemies (another possible thing that could be expanded upon in 'real' campaign) to set himself up as the permanence ruler and banishing the lord from the kingdom.

Now, years later, the lordling has grown up and sees the wrongs being done in her home and sets out on a mission to overthrow the new ruler and take his/her country back.

Yes, some form of dynastic politicking will certainly appear sometime in the game (or throughout).

While I collect (and steal) all sorts of material for maps and sprites and also work on a system to streamline battles, do continue talking shop about where you guys want the story to go, preferably in the short term 'prologue' sense.  A basic framework to build off of is always best in the end, and it'll be possible to have the player characters be more involved with the storyline once we all role play a bit of their character and history.

Also, it'd be a good idea to consider what sort of characters and personalities you'll likely play beyond just class and stats.  Latooni wants to be a princess, or at least a Lady of some sort, Changingsaint a common soldier with a conscience, etc..  What about the rest of you?  And how do you feel about one or more player characters being an elected 'Lord' of this RP to integrate the party into the major plot more closely?

Quote from: Kunoichi on November 18, 2011, 07:13:15 PM
I actually recolored a Soldier sprite to look a lot like your character image, believe it or not.  It's only one sprite, though, so feel free to work on your own full sprite sheet if you'd like.

Actually, just one sprite should be enough at this point in time.  The maps won't be animated of course, nor will any battles so anything more than a single stationary sprite for the map would be superfluous.  If it's not too late I'd certainly like to see what you made though.  No sense in letting your good work go to waste!

It may also be prudent to stick to a general color scheme, or at least one that won't be easily confused with the enemy color scheme.  Since my character portrait is mostly red, a fully colored sprite in this style would not only look cool and dashing, but also just like an enemy!  Maybe I should just stick to a normal soldier sprite (maybe a minimal edit for red hair while keeping the blue scheme) and fix the portrait to follow this scheme.  But I'll deal with the little details later, for now it's all about the macros and programming and mapping.

Mysterica

Well...  If one person is planning on playing a possible princess, that sounds like a very eligible lord possibility...  Just throwing that out there.  I would personally like to start out on the map as a bit of a third party character.  A traveling sword looking to train, and for a cause to rally behind.   

ZameRagues

I like it all so far.

I'll start of as a personal mage to the Lord/Princess, unless someone comes up with anything better.
Pure Impulse Plays
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Revelation

I'll start drumming out my sheet now.

While the group is still being created, I have to admit I am a bit of a sucker for romance - Would any female characters be interested in discussing such? Or of course, I would like that for a plot with an NPC.

My characters personality will be the 'soldier with a conscience', and naturally trying to atone. I imagine initially he was focused on fighting the rebels, though eventually his unit/squadron was moved to a more civilian area, where the kingdom was rather oppressive against the citizens who aided the rebels but didn't fight. He'll be good natured and loyal, but will probably show difficulty adjusting to the rebellion, as i'm sure some will think he is a spy/will not look highly on turncoats.

Silk

I'm more than happy to let you go as GM Sabre, and given the context of the story I'm trying to think of a story for my character, possibly some sort of leader of a small pirate/mercenary group that was hired to train/fight for the rebellion during their uprising. Which if I do go with that, anyone is welcome to really join that group.

Kunoichi

Alright, here's the basic 'Full Cast List' sheet that I'm working up at the moment.  It's still a bit of a work-in-progress, so I wouldn't mind seeing what everyone thinks.

Edit: Updated version found later in thread.