scvhost.exe can suck it...

Started by bubby, May 25, 2015, 03:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubby

Anyone know how to stop this damn thing that's eating my memory and making me have to restart again and again just so I'm not working in a perma-lag mode?

I've perused through some of the youtube tutorials... did 1 and NOTHING changed. (Something about changing a something-or-other can't remember the name to N) Anyone know of a viable solution? As a complete tech newb I'd need a step by step.

Vekseid

svchost itself isn't a specific application on your machine. It's a program that runs services that run from dynamic link libraries (.dll files) - thus the name service host. What you are looking to go through are the services that are installed on your machine.

In task manager, you should be able to right-click on svchost.exe and select 'go to services'. You can then go through them and see which ones you can safely prune.

bubby

Quote from: Vekseid on May 25, 2015, 03:21:02 PM
svchost itself isn't a specific application on your machine. It's a program that runs services that run from dynamic link libraries (.dll files) - thus the name service host. What you are looking to go through are the services that are installed on your machine.

In task manager, you should be able to right-click on svchost.exe and select 'go to services'. You can then go through them and see which ones you can safely prune.

Through my research your words make a little bit of sense, and I do know how to get to said 'pruning area'. This is where my knowledge stops. I have 10 of the sonsabitches running; 2 of them running at high numbers. My knowledge on how to find out which one(s) I could 'safely prune', or even how to do said pruning, is totally non-existent.

Vekseid

Psi

Start > Run > CMD > tasklist /svc /fi "imagename eq svchost.exe"

Use task manager to identify which PID is running high and you might be able to track down which service is running at near 100% and post that

kylie

Your mileage could probably vary depending what you're running...  But I'm kind of thinking, "Oh kill some off one by one, starting with the most apparent cpu hog.  What's the worst that can happen.  You nix the wrong one and have to restart?"  But yes, at least you can see what's hogging memory in task manager. 

I used to have a comp where one memory hog process (around 20-30%) with that name always came on at startup -- I didn't know exactly what was behind it either, but I'd promptly kill it off at each start from task manager, and it was never a problem afterward there.

That might just work out to speed you up, until you figure it out more permanently (it sounds like you're restarting a lot as is, so maybe not a big loss if it takes a couple attempts).  Of course, with friends like these if you're lucky, maybe you can name the culprit behind the mask and directly prune the bugger as well  ;)

EvilBeast

System specs might help us help you. what operating system? Memory? What applications do you have running (that you are aware of)? You may also consider running Malwarebytes to ensure no rogue programs are gobbling up resources.

If you can find your list of services, disable monitoring and update software like Adobe, Apple, Java, and the like.

bubby

Thanks for all the input gang; I truly appreciate the attempt at help, but it's pretty much a futile effort.

Psi

Quote from: bubby on May 28, 2015, 02:47:02 AM
Thanks for all the input gang; I truly appreciate the attempt at help, but it's pretty much a futile effort.
Not futile, but you just need to determine if its worthwhile.   On a computer 3 years old, I would reload the OS, or start considering new hardware.

I have tracked down a service causing problems under the svchost process before.

Once you know the PID using task manager or that command line, you can then use a different command to identify the services using that instance of svchost and then using services.msc, disable them one by one and monitor the state changes.

Some will be system and required, others will not be necessary.