A question about using virtual dice rolls...

Started by ClockworkShadow, July 01, 2011, 02:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClockworkShadow

I've been pondering setting up a custom dice-roll "system" for a set of consequences in the RP that I am putting together.

There are no known systems that it would be based upon, and all values of the rolls would be preset by me, as the GM of the idea.

If I were orchestrating this on a scrolling-post, roleplay site, I would designate the values in the information section, and the players would "/roll" in the actual interactive "room."  Any recommendations on how I'd go about something like that, here (if it's possible)?

A/A

^ zee-oh-em-gee, it has an update ^
I am back... sort of.  I'm trying, anyway.
o_O

Avis habilis

Check out the Elliquiy dice bot. It's pretty much infinitely customizable, so you could make it work with your homebrew system.

Lord Drake produced a handy tutorial for it you can find here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=83540.0

ClockworkShadow

A/A

o_O

ClockworkShadow

Ok.  New question.

Since I want to include unapproved members in my roleplay, would this:

Quote* Send To: Here you put the user id, if any, you want your roll sent to. This person will be sent a copy of your roll and will testify to it (and tell you the consequences of the roll if he/she is the GM)
So if someone playing with me in a system RP needs me to testify to a dice roll he is about to make... he will put my ID (7761) number in that box.

still apply to them (since they are unable to PM)?  If not, how would I manage this?  Roll for them when I am available to do so?

A/A

o_O

Chelemar

In the past, we've copy and pasted the roll in the game's OOC and everyone's verified that.  You can type in a person's name and ID number and it will give you their roll history.  So, if you are worried that they maybe rolled to get the best roll, it will tell you how many rolls, etc. 

Have them include all the information, IE what game the roll is for, the variables necessary and it will log it for them.

For example:

Welcome to the Elliquiy Dice Server Chelemar! Please follow the instructions below.
Your user ID is *** | View your rolls | View rolls made to you | Make a roll | View recent rolls
Roll Result: Chelemar rolled: 1d6, keeping 3 dice, adding 2to the total
Comment: For shadow
Result: 3,
Total: 5

Chelemar

And I also have had a game manager who rolled for everyone. :)  He used "real dice"  Hated dice rollers. :)

ClockworkShadow

Quote from: Chelemar on July 01, 2011, 05:55:57 PM
And I also have had a game manager who rolled for everyone. :)  He used "real dice"  Hated dice rollers. :)

I admire the man for his ah... dedication?  That's a bit zealous for me, though ^^

I'll have to think about that, some more, and thank you so much for detailing out an example. <3  Also waiting on input from my players in the development thread.

A/A

o_O

Oniya

The nice thing about a computerized die roller is that it doesn't look at you funny when you tell it to roll 3d23.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

ClockworkShadow

<giggles... a lot>  I can imagine a few different expressions, depending on the DM's personality, for that scenario! ;)

A/A

o_O