Warped laptop screw.

Started by desert ashes, June 12, 2014, 03:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

desert ashes

So, any ideas about getting a completely warped laptop screw out of the case without drilling/using non-common household repair items (ie, rubber bands and screwdrivers, pliers, etc)?  I've tried the rubber band trick, but it was a medium thick purple one so not sure if maybe I should just a thinner band?  I've tried turning the screw using around the head, but to no avail.  I can't lift the screw, either, as it's completely flush against the back of the laptop.

Any MacGuyver ideas would be greatly appreciated!
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Sprikut

would it be possible to get a picture of the screw?

desert ashes

make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin

Sprikut

Ok so 3 things that may work.

There are stripped screw kits cost about 5 bucks but lots of people have them. They are essentially a bit for your screw driver that will dig into steel.

If you dont have that you can try a pair of fine needle nose pliers. Grab the screw around the edges and turn slowly. (If its actually flush with the case this wont work but it looks like there is a small gap). You can use a rubber band here as well to increase the grip of the pliers.

If all of the above fails you could put a knife in under the head of the screw and lever it up but this will damage the case
Finally if all else fails you can try a little bead of plumbers putty in the screw head. The  you press your bit in to essentially reshape the screw head (this doesnt work great)

Ebb

I have no useful information, but wanted to point out that "Warped Laptop Screw" could easily be the name of a thread over in the "Extreme:Solos" section. Or at least a One-Shot.

desert ashes

Quote from: Sprikut on June 12, 2014, 06:08:22 AM
Ok so 3 things that may work.

There are stripped screw kits cost about 5 bucks but lots of people have them. They are essentially a bit for your screw driver that will dig into steel.

If you dont have that you can try a pair of fine needle nose pliers. Grab the screw around the edges and turn slowly. (If its actually flush with the case this wont work but it looks like there is a small gap). You can use a rubber band here as well to increase the grip of the pliers.

If all of the above fails you could put a knife in under the head of the screw and lever it up but this will damage the case
Finally if all else fails you can try a little bead of plumbers putty in the screw head. The  you press your bit in to essentially reshape the screw head (this doesnt work great)

Thanks!  I'll see what I can find for a screw kit, give that a whirl.  :)  I've tried using a pair of fine needle nose pliers with a rubber band, but without any luck as it does sit flush against the case.  I'd prefer not to damage the case, but we'll see what happens.

Quote from: Ebb on June 12, 2014, 08:08:55 AM
I have no useful information, but wanted to point out that "Warped Laptop Screw" could easily be the name of a thread over in the "Extreme:Solos" section. Or at least a One-Shot.

*Gigglesnorts.*  Oh, the ideas my muse just came up with...
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin

Sprikut

Vekseid

Quote from: Moirae on June 12, 2014, 09:24:05 AM
Thanks!  I'll see what I can find for a screw kit, give that a whirl.  :)  I've tried using a pair of fine needle nose pliers with a rubber band, but without any luck as it does sit flush against the case.  I'd prefer not to damage the case, but we'll see what happens.

If you don't have one, you should get a screwdriver that takes drill bits, along with the stripped screw extractors (don't think I've ever seen one sold individually, but then, it's usually the sort of thing you get once in a lifetime).

desert ashes

Quote from: Vekseid on June 12, 2014, 11:02:03 AM
If you don't have one, you should get a screwdriver that takes drill bits, along with the stripped screw extractors (don't think I've ever seen one sold individually, but then, it's usually the sort of thing you get once in a lifetime).

Mm.  I have a battery operated screwdriver that I think takes bits, but I'm not positive.  Definitely something to look into and try!

Thanks, Veks! :)
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin

Vekseid

Well mostly that, it's your laptop, and you probably don't want to risk wrecking it.