A interest call: 3.5 DnD Unique Devil/Demon Campaign in Hell/Abyss (closed FULL)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, December 08, 2011, 06:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

This is game idea which I joined long while ago but game slowly decayed and died by lack of GM attention. I would like pick up the awesome idea to run game based on unique devils or demons.

The catch is that you can create your char 'race' up to CR 21, use whatever templates and class levels and so forth. But it follows this premise;

All chars have six PC class levels, if they want push to CR +21 CR through template they loose PC levels, minimum 4 PC levels. Meaning max CR through template or creature type is CR 23.

If your basic creature is less than CR 21, the minimum CR is 19 (meaning 8 PC levels). Either way combined CR and class levels is CR 27 creature give or take. However this does not mean you need to have HD 19 or 23 or 27. You may as well have HD 11 and be CR 27 by templates!

Anyways any templates which would not normally affect outsider will work on them. However absolute rule is that all are outsiders and all receive either Baatezu or Tana'ri subtype and the Evil Lawful/Chaotic subtypes. Your type never changes to magical beast, undead etc. Incorporeal is possible (there can be spectral devils/demons which aren't undead). You could have plant alike abilities (think a treant as base creature where you add half-fiend template) but you are not fey nor plant subtype.

Anyways another demand is that either base race or template turns you into outsider. Anyways you do not need stick up with specific abilities granted by the template. Example if you pick vampire template your not undead but you got level drain (and your not immune to level drain). But you could change gaseous form so that you become a cloud of butterflies (same deal, just different visual).

However there is this condition in abilities; You loose all shapechange abilities. Your unique and you should flaunt being unique. Alternative form (like lycantrophe template grants) is allowed but you need avoid using your alternative form ability much as possible. Hybrid form could be your default form but you can be human or animal form for short time but even then both forms are striking unique (so you cannot 'blend in' among normal humans nor animals even if you tried).

Also as avoid spellcasters trump over the place the rule is that you cannot have higher CL than 10 in spells known/per day. But if base creature has spellcasting and you pick PrC which has no perfect spellcast progress is allowed. Also practiced spellcaster feat can be taken once to boost the CL for spell effect and SR bypass. But otherwise no bigger than CL 10 or Manifester level 10 (for psionics). Martial Adept levels are not limited this way.

Zaer Darkwail

Anyways I am asking also do folks prefer be unique demons, or unique devils? As unique demons you fight to carve your own domain in the infinate layers of Abyss among figthing other demons for power. While in Hell there is chance to become Archduke and one layer lords.

Anyways stats are simple; you gain bonus point to your stats based on your class levels only. Meaning 4-6 class levels give 1, while 8 levels give 2 points to spend on your stats.

Now the actual base stats are determined by how they are shown in MM, MM III and so on whatever is your base race source. Note that your base race can be already generic established demon/devil (so yes, you could pick balor or pit fiend as base race and add templates and class levels on it and be done with it but that's boring :P). Or it can be magical beast or other creature subtype (unicorn demon? Nymph devil? YES!).

So if you want high stats focus carefully what templates you take. As most +1 templates give +1 CR or +3 CR with higher HD. Also as alternative instead template you can use CR to purchase outsider levels. Each 1 CR gives you 4 HD as outsider. As note if your outsider HD + class levels go beyond 20, you can select epic feats from Epic Handbook at that point. Also bit repeat; remember at end of creating base creature you get Baatezu or Tana'ri subtype (and it's perks) for free.

Kunoichi

*studies character creation rules carefully*

Ohhhh, I get it.  We start out as a monster of our choice and give it either devil or demon traits (depending on the game), then get to add templates, bonus HD and a mandatory 4-8 class levels until we hit CR 27.

The basic idea being that we play as those lucky few demons and/or devils who manage to make it up to or be born as unique creatures, and then attempt to either advance our own goals, schemes and plots within the complex hierarchy of the Nine Hells, or carve out our own little kingdom amidst the blood of our enemies in the Abyss.

Sounds like fun. ;D

Edit: Though, given that character creation is based on CR, I'm guessing that we won't be gaining levels over the course of the game?

Snake

Hey wouldn't my Kairon character fit the bill? As a unique/advanced Erinyes?

Kunoichi

Presumably so, though I think I'd prefer the Abyssal option. ^^; We could use the Landlord feat and pool our resources to build our own Fortress of the Damned, then use that as a base of operations to strike out at enemies in the surrounding area.  It gives more of a concrete goal to the game, which should help keep things moving.

Snake

Well he's the right hand of Asmodeus which makes him quite powerful in terms of charismatic authority. XD

And it would be fun to do that I think but I have no idea atm what I'd do precisely. I'm not too fond of the big monstrous demon types. I prefer human form ones. makes it easier to corrupt souls :3

Zaer Darkwail

As said, folks vote or we run kinda campaign where is both unique demons and devils (kind of Player vs Player). Anyways true, you rarely get levels but possible 'continued evolution' is possible and of course finding items of power. But I usually give person a choice like 'special ablity, or a level?' kind deal and some adventures could yield XP for level up (but consider; your CR 27 char so expect epic encounters or events yield XP to you).

Also naturally demons and devils can harvest souls to increase their power (or level up) as form of currency.

Snake

Then I shall see what I can doto get in on this. I've learned you Zaer, host wonderful dnd type games :3

So we can't generate our own stats? And add the ability modifiers gained through the -10/-11 method? All the base stats in the MM are all 10 or 11 you know

Zaer Darkwail

Nop, you take the stats directly what they are presented at. Example erinyes haves;

Str 21, Dex 21, Con 21, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 20

Your stuck with those stats. Only difference is one or two stat points gained from class levels (or PrC levels). Plus what you gain from stacking templates up or from magic items. You gain gold eguilevant to a 20th level char (not 27th level char).

Snake

Zaer Darkwail

I cleverly cheated by taking a decent mental stat base race (raksasha) and add tauric template which takes physical stats from it's base animal (which was lion my case). So got quite nice stat range :). Also remember templates which normally change your subtype can be used but they don't change you. So you can take ghost template example to become incorporeal devil/demon and the ghost abilities (possession is nasty with succubi ghost). But your not undead though so it means you have Con score as incporporeal creature but no Str still.

Snake

I'd LOVE a half-hellfire wyrm demon type but they don't have the specifics for tha ton the half-dragon template :P

Kunoichi

Quote from: Snake on December 08, 2011, 12:10:38 PM
And it would be fun to do that I think but I have no idea atm what I'd do precisely. I'm not too fond of the big monstrous demon types. I prefer human form ones. makes it easier to corrupt souls :3

Well, given that these are listed as unique Demons and/or Devils, we can presumably make the appearance whatever we wish it to be, so long as said appearance incorporates all natural attacks and so on.  That said, shapechanging certainly would be a plus...

*contemplates Succubus Lichfiend Demilich and other ridiculous creations*

Snake

as long as we don't have an obvious gay looking one like a pit fiend that's rainbow colored with gaudy frills instead of horns or wings. XD

Kunoichi

Snake

Kunoichi

*carefully rereads limitations*

No, it's CR 20.  It's legal. ^^;

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 08, 2011, 01:36:03 PM

Screw it, I'm going to be a Tarrasque. :P

Sorry, like the original GM I will ban tarrasque even if you can qualify it just by taking half-fiend template with it :P.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on December 08, 2011, 01:44:27 PM
Sorry, like the original GM I will ban tarrasque even if you can qualify it just by taking half-fiend template with it :P.

>:(

Alright, I'll just have to find some other way of being an unholy unkillable engine of destruction, then.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 08, 2011, 02:03:01 PM
>:(

Alright, I'll just have to find some other way of being an unholy unkillable engine of destruction, then.

Fire elemental half-fiend troll?

Kunoichi

Actually, I plan on gaining the Outsider type via the use of the Otherworldly feat, if it's allowed.  Other than that, I'm thinking War-Troll with a few templates.

Can I ask why the Tarrasque isn't allowed, though?  Is it all the HD?  The Colossal size?  The DR/Epic?  The Regeneration 40?  The Spell Resistance 32?  I'd really like to know...

Zaer Darkwail

Tarrasque is not allowed because only a wish can kill it. Also the most rest of package is quite big to swallow in along with that.

But you can cheat with feat yes but troll does not meet feat's racial prerequisite. If somehow you do not get elf blood added to troll.

With fiendish creature template (+1 CR) you get outsider type easy to the troll if need be.

SomeGuy

I'm interested in getting back involved on the forums and this looks like an interesting game, still room available? I'd vote demons.

ECL of 27 with a minimum of 4 class levels and maximum of 8, or am I misunderstanding?

Is there any HD limit that I missed, or is it just whatever it ends up being?

PaleEnchantress

I vote devils, Id love to explore the city of Dis especially. Id also be interested in joining.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Kunoichi

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on December 08, 2011, 02:35:33 PM
Tarrasque is not allowed because only a wish can kill it. Also the most rest of package is quite big to swallow in along with that.

But you can cheat with feat yes but troll does not meet feat's racial prerequisite. If somehow you do not get elf blood added to troll.

With fiendish creature template (+1 CR) you get outsider type easy to the troll if need be.

I'm fine with removing the 'only a Wish can kill it' part.  Replace it with acid or some other appropriate energy type dealing regular damage, if that's the main problem.  What other parts make it problematic?

In one of the Forgotten Realms books, the Otherworldly feat was specifically allowed on characters who otherwise wouldn't qualify if they had an appropriate background.  I was hoping that this campaign would have a similar qualification, given its general subject matter. ^^;

Actually, Fiendish doesn't change a creature to a Native Outsider.  It only changes Animals to Magical Beasts.