The Big Thread For the USA 2016 Presidential Candidates [Poll updated!]

Started by Blythe, July 31, 2015, 04:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePrince

Jeb had to cut the pay of his campaign advisers by about 40% last week. I expect him to be on the offensive tonight durning the debate. This might be a make it or break it performance for him.

I have a feeling we are going to loose a couple of candidates after this debate as well.
RP Request Thread
O/O's
I am what I am. I am my own special creation.
So come take a look, Give me the hook or the ovation.
It's my world that I want to have a little pride in.
It's my world and it's not a place I have to hide in.
Life ain't worth a dam till you can say I am what I am.

Cassandra LeMay

ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

MasterMischief

That was one thing I really think Ryan had right.  They seriously need to stop being the party of 'opposition' and become a party of 'proposition'.  I may not agree with their proposals, but it really does not help the country to simply attack everything and offer no solutions.

Cycle

Watching the debate right now.  So far, I'd say:

+1 to Rubio
+1 to Fiorina

Nothing to everyone else yet.

Update:

-1 to Cruz for attacking the moderators with an obviously rehearsed speech
-1 to 3.0 for his response to the "put me in coach" question--too low energy

Zillah

Ted Cruz is actually saying things I agree with. I'm kind of frightened.

Zillah

Never mind. He's back to being insane.

And Jeb!'s "warm kiss" line was so gross I need to take a shower now. :P Ick.

Cycle

I'm sure Supergirl is headed for the hills.   

Update:

-1 to Carson:  "I believe that homosexuals should be treated equally.  I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman.  There is no reason why the two cannot exist together."  WTF?  Seriously?  Has he been snacking on the Colorado brownies already?

+1 to Huckabee for using the runaway blimp in his response.

-1 to 3.0.  Still no breakout moment.  Just more blah blah blah.

+1 to Trump for his closing statement about cutting the debate down to 2 hours from 3.  Thank you!!!

eBadger

Quote from: Cycle on October 28, 2015, 08:13:42 PM
+1 to Trump for his closing statement about cutting the debate down to 2 hours from 3.  Thank you!!!

Really?  His big contribution to the debate was to have less of it?  If I didn't want to hear more, I could solve that problem in a couple seconds with my remote, not a couple hours. 

Also, watching Jeb! try to go on the attack was just sad. 

Cycle

Salon's Heather Digby Parton: “In last night's GOP debate, Bush sealed his fate. He'll never be president. No way, no how."

New Republic’s Jeet Heer: “This might have been Jeb’s Waterloo, the moment when he lost everything once and for all.”

New York's Jonathan Chait: "Rubio dispatched Bush with a tone so understated, and almost pitying, it marked the instant and widely acknowledged death of Bush’s hopes."

Slate’s Jamelle Bouie: “It was do or die. And Bush died.”

Bloomberg's John Heilemann: “[T]he scale of the failure is now evident for anyone with eyes to see.”

The Economist: “It is hard to see him coming back into contention now.”

National Review’s Tim Alberta: “Swing and a miss. It was the story of the night, the story of the debate, and it might soon be the story of Jeb Bush’s campaign.”

Weekly Standard’s Jonathan Last: “[Bush’s] campaign is cooked.”

The Daily Caller's Matt Lewis: "[Bush] now risks tarnishing his reputation if he continues to run an embarrassing campaign.”

Red State’s Erick Erickson: “It is time for Jeb Bush to take his campaign out back and shoot it.”*

Drudge Report’s Matt Drudge: “Jeb Bush can eat carbs now.”

Ouch.

TheGlyphstone

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Cycle on October 29, 2015, 07:45:36 PM
Apologies for the double post but this is funny.

Apparently Carson got caught lying about his support of a flatulence pill...  XD
His statement about it in the debate was telling enough:

Quote"Well, that’s easy to answer: I didn’t have an involvement with them," replied Carson, a former pediatric neurosurgeon. "That is total propaganda. And this is what happens in our society -- total propaganda. I did a couple speeches for them. I did speeches for other people. They were paid speeches. It is absolutely absurd to say that I had any kind of relationship with them. Do I take the product? Yes. I think it’s a good product."
Source: Politifact

I find it a bit absurd to claim that taking someone's money to work for them several times, even if that work consisted of only a few speeches, amounts to no involvement at all.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Cassandra LeMay

Sorry for the double post, but while we are talking about Carson...

While Carson believes marriage should be between a man and a woman he also says there's no reason you can't be perfectly fair to the gay community.

Why then does his 2016 Committee Super PAC sponsor the World Congress of Families?

Details about that "charming" event at the SPLC

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Oniya

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on October 30, 2015, 02:13:56 AM
His statement about it in the debate was telling enough:
Source: Politifact

I find it a bit absurd to claim that taking someone's money to work for them several times, even if that work consisted of only a few speeches, amounts to no involvement at all.

Paid speeches where he touted the virtues of their product, no less. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQSoHRwtwvI

He actually uses the company name at around 3:30-3:45 ish.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Cycle

The Republican candidates are upset over how the debates are going.

Apparently, they don't like it when moderators ask them questions, challenge false statements, and call them on time.

Okay.  No problem.  How about we do this the next debate?  Two hours, no moderator questions, no moderators at all, no time limits on responses, no splitting the candidates into two rounds, no lining people up according to how they're polling.  All fifteen of you get an open mic, we aim one fixed camera at the stage, go!

Have fun.

Oniya

Quote from: Cycle on October 30, 2015, 01:36:47 PM
Okay.  No problem.  How about we do this the next debate?  Two hours, no moderator questions, no moderators at all, no time limits on responses, no splitting the candidates into two rounds, no lining people up according to how they're polling.  All fifteen of you get an open mic, we aim one fixed camera at the stage, go!

Have fun.

The next Republican Debate

Cycle

See, I'd pay good money for that.  ;D

Edit:  someone came up with a funnier way to do the debates.  I love it!

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Cycle on October 30, 2015, 01:47:50 PM
See, I'd pay good money for that.  ;D

Edit:  someone came up with a funnier way to do the debates.  I love it!

So I was very disappointed. I saw the title and thought it was going to be a satirical suggestion that the GOP candidates actually play basketball. Likely with some sort of crass, subtly racist comment on Carson winning. What I got was pleasantly surprising.

Cycle

Here's another funny one.

Seriously though, why are these people whining so much about "gotcha" questions.  Don't you realize you're looking like wimps?  If you can't handle a question from Becky Quick, how are you going to handle negotiating with Putin?

eBadger

Because of questions like this:

QuoteCARL QUINTANILLA: Governor Bush, daily fantasy sports has become a phenomenon in this country. It will award billions in prize money this year, but to play, you have to assess your odds, wait for a situation that is out of your control. Isn't that the definition of gambling and should the federal government treat it as such?

That's a worthless question.  It doesn't address anything that the majority of the US even vaguely cares about or accomplish anything that should be happening in a presidential debate.  It is a question where the only correct response is not to bother answering: because even a fairly decent response is defined not by its own qualities but by how insanely banal the topic is. 

I'm not a fan of any of the GOP candidates.  But the questions in that debate were a debacle, and that panel was beyond unprofessional.  The entire focus seemed to be on trying to get media sound bites and nearly none on actual issues facing the US and our future president. 

Cycle

I don't know about it being a debacle.  I mean, I watched pretty much the whole thing and sure, there were several banal questions.  But I don't think all of the CNBC questions were unprofessional or banal.  From the transcript:
  • QUINTANILLA: This series of debates is essentially a job interview with the American people. And in any job interview, you know this: you get asked, “what’s your biggest weakness?”
  • QUICK: Dr. Carson, let’s talk about taxes.

You have a flat tax plan of 10 percent flat taxes, and — I’ve looked at it — and this is something that is very appealing to a lot of voters, but I’ve had a really tough time trying to make the math work on this.

If you were to took a 10 percent tax, with the numbers right now in total personal income, you’re gonna come in with bring in $1.5 trillion. That is less than half of what we bring in right now. And by the way, it’s gonna leave us in a $2 trillion hole.

So what analysis got you to the point where you think this will work?
  • QUINTANILLA: This one is for Senator Rubio. You’ve been a young man in a hurry ever since you won your first election in your 20s. You’ve had a big accomplishment in the Senate, an immigration bill providing a path to citizenship the conservatives in your party hate, and even you don’t support anymore. Now, you’re skipping more votes than any senator to run for president. Why not slow down, get a few more things done first or least finish what you start?
  • QUICK: Ms. Fiorina, I — I’d like to ask you a question. You are running for president of the United States because of your record running Hewlett-Packard. But the stock market is usually a fair indicator of the performance of a CEO, and the market was not kind to you.

Someone who invested a dollar in your company the day you took office had lost half of the dollar by the day you left. Obviously, you’ve talked in the past about what a difficult time it was for technology companies, but anybody who was following the market knows that your stock was a much worse performer, if you looked at your competitors, if you looked at the overall market.

I just wonder, in terms of all of that — you know, we look back, your board fired you. I just wondered why you think we should hire you now.
  • QUINTANILLA: Senator Cruz. Congressional Republicans, Democrats and the White House are about to strike a compromise that would raise the debt limit, prevent a government shutdown and calm financial markets that fear of — another Washington-created crisis is on the way.

Does your opposition to it show that you’re not the kind of problem-solver American voters want?
  • HARWOOD: Senator Paul, the budget deal crafted by Speaker Boehner and passed by the House today makes cuts in entitlement programs, Medicare and Social Security disability, which are the very programs conservatives say need cutting to shrink government and solve our country’s long-term budget deficit. Do you oppose that budget deal because it doesn’t cut those programs enough?
  • QUINTANILLA: Mrs. Fiorina, in 2010, while running for Senate in Tech Ridge (ph), California, you called an Internet sales tax a bad idea. Traditional brick and mortar stores obviously disagree. Now that the Internet shopping playing field has matured, what would be a fair plan to even that playing field?
  • HARWOOD: Senator Huckabee, I mean — excuse me — Senator Rubio, Wired magazine recently carried the heading, “Marco Rubio wants to be the tech industry’s savior.” It noted your support for dramatically increasing immigration visas called H1B, which are designed for workers with the special skills that Silicon Valley wants.

But your Senate colleague, Jeff Sessions of Alabama, says in reality, the tech industry uses this program to undercut hiring and wages for highly qualified Americans. Why is he wrong?
There are more but I'm tired of cutting and pasting. 

These look like decent questions, and they seemed that way when I watched it on TV.  Honestly, I think there's a lot of spin being put out right now to achieve a goal...

ReijiTabibito

Just a note Cycle, I read that article you posted a few entries back.

Now, I beg pardon.  But since when is two or three weeks ago 'ancient history'?  And 'abusively fact-based'?  If you don't like the facts that are being told about here, here's a suggestion, Reince - how about you change the facts rather than change people hearing them?  You don't like the fact that the Democrats are winning more and more of the American people because of your insistence on what is a failed policy - rather than the dodge you try and play with the American people by sabotaging policies that don't agree with yours and calling it a failed policy - economically?  Change the policy.  It's not all that hard.  Yes, it means you lose your shiny, big-money donors.  But you know what you get in return?  The common American trusting you again.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on November 02, 2015, 08:34:23 PM
Just a note Cycle, I read that article you posted a few entries back.

Now, I beg pardon.  But since when is two or three weeks ago 'ancient history'?  And 'abusively fact-based'?  If you don't like the facts that are being told about here, here's a suggestion, Reince - how about you change the facts rather than change people hearing them?  You don't like the fact that the Democrats are winning more and more of the American people because of your insistence on what is a failed policy - rather than the dodge you try and play with the American people by sabotaging policies that don't agree with yours and calling it a failed policy - economically?  Change the policy.  It's not all that hard.  Yes, it means you lose your shiny, big-money donors.  But you know what you get in return?  The common American trusting you again.

Poe's Law strikes again, people.

The article he linked is a satire, like everything else the author writes - the Borowitz Report is a 100% satirical column.

DiscoveringEzra

Not sure on If This has been posted and I'll delete it if It has been Sen. Bernie Sanders has proposed a bill to designate "Democracy Day" as a national election holiday to make it easier for Americans to vote.

Edit to Add : What do you think of this Bill?
Why I suck - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=152540.0
My o/o's and Players - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=139223.0
My Plays and ideas - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=178979.0
"I have too much imagination to just be one gender” - Erika Linder

I have taken an indefinite hiatus due to complete computer shutdown, and is still in limbo until I can get another. Sorry.