News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Error 404 on some sites--is it me or them?

Started by bubby, November 15, 2014, 02:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubby

So recently I've been making an attempt to do some shopping online, and several sites (Walmart, Target, and just yesterday even Zulily) I've tried have given me the dreaded Error 404. When I have gotten my Google Fu on and tried to research the why's of said issues, to see if it's me or them, it's generally always said  " Site is working, it must be just not working for you"...

... ssoooo...

'Cookies' were mentioned. Is there something, somewhere on my computer I should tick or un-tick that would maybe be blocking these sites? Is it possibly a Google Chrome issue? If it is a Chrome issue, is there a way to figure that out?

Bloodied Porcelain

On Chrome:

Click the three lines at the top right.

Settings

Advanced Settings

Privacy ---> Content Settings

Allow Local Data To Be Set

You should also just try clearing your browser history. :) There might be a bad cookie or temp file in there mucking things up for you.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

bubby

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on November 15, 2014, 08:43:44 AM
On Chrome:

Click the three lines at the top right.

Settings

Advanced Settings

Privacy ---> Content Settings

Allow Local Data To Be Set

You should also just try clearing your browser history. :) There might be a bad cookie or temp file in there mucking things up for you.

After checking, I already had it set at the 'allow local' thing, and I did manage to clear all history/cookies, but I still can't access any of those sites. I dunno man... I guess they don't want my money! Thanks for the help though BP!

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Lrrr

404 will sometimes show up if your Domain Name Service (DNS) is messed up.  If you're using cable or DSL, the DNS is usually set up on your modem/cable box/router.  Try shutting off (not restarting, shutting off) your cable or DSL box and letting it sit for 30 seconds.  Then power that sucker back up and see if the problem goes away.

If you know how to log on to your router you can change which DNS is being used.  Google seems to have a decent primary and secondary set of public domain name servers at

primary:  8.8.8.8
secondary: 8.8.4.4

Record the previous domain name server IP addresses before changing them so you can go back if anything goes wrong!  Good luck.   :-)

If I've been online here on E but I haven't replied to your post or message, there are several possible reasons - none of which involve ignoring you.  Be patient - I'm worth it.
ONs & OFFs Plus Other Goodies!    2018-01-16 Updated A/As

Thesunmaid

I used this on a friends computer and found out it was a problem with thier connection.

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: Caught up (holy shit) Current Status for RP:looking for a few