News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Far eyes on April 12, 2016, 06:13:47 AM

Also saw the TMNT2 tailor...   yah no, no...    just no. I have noting ells, just nop. It could work maybe but we all know who this is directed by so it will not. 

What do you have against David Green?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Far eyes

Quote from: Inkidu on April 12, 2016, 06:59:42 AM
What do you have against David Green?

Tailor seemed to suggest it was Bay, but they still look like the monstrosities from the first one and it still prty much looks like the first movie and mostly act like it to. If you enjoyed the first one, thats fine you will probably enjoy this one to.   

EDIT:
My bad Bay has a production credit on it, his name is just the first one that really pops up on the tailor and is the first one i really caught, my mistake

EDIT2:
You know its surprisingly hard to look up David Greens work because he shares a name with a few other people on there but ,managed to find him not much there, so i guess not much. I wanted to see what ells he did hoping to find something good but he only directed another movie i have not seen.
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Mathim

Wow, no kidding about the Turtles. Not only did it basically spoil the entire plot of the movie already, but it feels like all the best action scenes have already been shown.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

Looks pretty good. Definite Inception vibe its got going on there.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Far eyes

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 13, 2016, 07:16:46 AM
Looks pretty good. Definite Inception vibe its got going on there.

Well no not really, maybe a little bit for the visuals but conceptually the trips is about other things. Inception did not invent the idea of inner and other worlds or of bending reality, heck the matrix did it before it did. To bad they never made any more of those Matrix 2 could have been really cool. 
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

A/A

Mathim

Could've been a bit more visually fascinating. We learn a few things:

Rachel McAdams' role is not exactly clear but she's obviously a nurse working at the hospital where he's taken after his accident.

Chiwetel Ejiofor's version of Mordo looks nothing like the comic one, he looks more like a monk than a sorcerer, and carries a sword. Curious.

Strange will apparently be doing an American accent. Never heard Cumberbatch do that before. Hard to tell it was even him (unless that wasn't his voice saying he didn't believe in things like chakras. But then who else would it be?)

This will either be an origin or tell these things during flashbacks. So that thing about Marvel no longer doing origins stories is false, at least in the purest sense.

I'd say this movie will need at least 3 trailers to maximize its hype and profitability (and there's plenty of time, from the sound of things). While it was definitely better than the first Ant-Man trailer, if it doesn't totally blow my mind in the second trailer (which Ant-Man's thankfully did) I'll be a little worried.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Far eyes

I would say at least it looks interesting, and Marvel has not lead me to wrong yet lets just hope this is not the first utter fail :P

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on April 13, 2016, 08:46:17 AM
I would say at least it looks interesting, and Marvel has not lead me to wrong yet lets just hope this is not the first utter fail :P

Just one shot of something like him wielding those runes or electricity like on those magazine covers, that's all I would have needed to see in the trailer.

SapphireStar

They said that Baron Mordo would be different from the comics. Less villain like and more ambigious in his motives. So, he could be like what they did with Ra's al Ghul in Batman Begins. Liam Neeson portraying someone who appeared to be a mentor like figure to Bruce while someone else posed as Ra's al Ghul. And at the end, they did the reveal where Liam Neeson was really the bad guy. Mordo might appear "helpful" but only till he acheives his goals through using Strange.

Apparently, Chris Evans is now expressing interest in continuing to play Captain America through Infinity Wars.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 13, 2016, 02:25:45 PM
They said that Baron Mordo would be different from the comics. Less villain like and more ambigious in his motives. So, he could be like what they did with Ra's al Ghul in Batman Begins. Liam Neeson portraying someone who appeared to be a mentor like figure to Bruce while someone else posed as Ra's al Ghul. And at the end, they did the reveal where Liam Neeson was really the bad guy. Mordo might appear "helpful" but only till he acheives his goals through using Strange.

Apparently, Chris Evans is now expressing interest in continuing to play Captain America through Infinity Wars.

I had heard about that, even though his contract's almost up. His career should be such that he doesn't need to. He must just really love the character. Gotta respect that.

Far eyes

He did a really good job, i mean they would kind of have to be crazy not to jump all over it.

A/A

Mathim

At least until after Infinity War when it's likely they'll do some massive 'Reset' on the whole franchise and use that to recast everyone whose contracts have expired.

Inkidu

Now that I think about it. Doctor Strange could present a problem for the MCU (and I'm talking solely about the movie-verse). Up until now the MCU has been very cautious with its introduction to magic.  Now in comic books they exist in tandem, but in the MCU the world has run more on sufficiently advanced technology more than outright magic, and while Strange has his fans, would he be able to translate into the MCU? Though there is the chance no one will care and that my writer's need for internal consistency is just too finely tuned.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on April 14, 2016, 09:05:09 PM
Now that I think about it. Doctor Strange could present a problem for the MCU (and I'm talking solely about the movie-verse). Up until now the MCU has been very cautious with its introduction to magic.  Now in comic books they exist in tandem, but in the MCU the world has run more on sufficiently advanced technology more than outright magic, and while Strange has his fans, would he be able to translate into the MCU? Though there is the chance no one will care and that my writer's need for internal consistency is just too finely tuned.

I believe it'll work. There are many things, i.e. Inhuman powers, that go above and beyond even traditional science fiction notions. I think somewhere along the line, they'll have to acknowledge that there is a blurring of the line between science we don't yet understand and real magic. Even Thor is probably heading in that direction, and I bet we'll see that in Ragnarok.

TheGlyphstone

I think that's a big part of Strange's purpose here, to be the headline introduction for magic to the MCU, whereas they've hinted and teased at it and stuff like it but never given a full scope focus.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 14, 2016, 09:26:09 PM
I think that's a big part of Strange's purpose here, to be the headline introduction for magic to the MCU, whereas they've hinted and teased at it and stuff like it but never given a full scope focus.

Well they've said it will have Darkforce in it, and that stuff has been treated very scientifically so far, so this does definitely have the chance to dispel that, to reveal unseen dimensions of it via the teachings of the Ancient One.

Dice

My understanding is that Strange will be able to control the quantum mechanics of items, that's where he will get his powers. Again having a semi scientific reasoning for the actions we see taking place.

Mathim

Tch...that'll be lame, then. I hope they at least try to mystify things, like how bizarre it was when Ant-Man went into the quantum realm.

Dice

Quote from: Mathim on April 15, 2016, 08:09:55 AM
Tch...that'll be lame, then. I hope they at least try to mystify things, like how bizarre it was when Ant-Man went into the quantum realm.
My understanding is that in one draft Strange was going to meet him there and send him back.

Far eyes

Not necessarily in books at least i have read scenarios ware magic and science interact on the same principles they just kind of go about it in different ways. We shall see

A/A

CaptainNexus616

There's been tiny hints of magic in the Thor movies. Like the enchantment on Mjnolir, and Loki's magic. It feels like the tech we see in Thor is mixing of magic and tech. Makes me think of the when Tony rebuilt Asgard in the comics after Norman Osborn blew it up.

I agree with Glyph though. Strange will probably be the one to open the door on the subject.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 15, 2016, 12:35:36 PM
There's been tiny hints of magic in the Thor movies. Like the enchantment on Mjnolir, and Loki's magic. It feels like the tech we see in Thor is mixing of magic and tech. Makes me think of the when Tony rebuilt Asgard in the comics after Norman Osborn blew it up.

I agree with Glyph though. Strange will probably be the one to open the door on the subject.

Well, Thor's whole thing has been debunking magic as really advanced science, via Jane Foster. Now that she's rumored not to be returning (how are they going to explain that, I wonder?) maybe they'll stop skirting the issue and embrace real magic.

SapphireStar

Aren't the Infinity Gems basically mystical artifacts? Each one giving the person wielding it incredible power?

The Terrigen crystals could in essence be considered on the mystical end of things. They granted people their abilities. In the comics, Doctor Doom blended science and magic.

It looks like Gambit is up in the air as to whether it is getting made as Channing Tatum has signed on to co-star in the Kingsman sequel. They've pushed the release date back, and there is rumor that the director has signed on to direct another project in the mean time?

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 15, 2016, 07:02:30 PM
Aren't the Infinity Gems basically mystical artifacts? Each one giving the person wielding it incredible power?

The Terrigen crystals could in essence be considered on the mystical end of things. They granted people their abilities. In the comics, Doctor Doom blended science and magic.

It looks like Gambit is up in the air as to whether it is getting made as Channing Tatum has signed on to co-star in the Kingsman sequel. They've pushed the release date back, and there is rumor that the director has signed on to direct another project in the mean time?

Unless he's playing the villain, I don't want any Americans tainting the awesomeness of Kingsman.