Toy pulled for date rape drug content

Started by Bliss, November 08, 2007, 10:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliss

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/08/toy.recall/index.html

U.S. safety officials have recalled about 4.2 million Chinese-made Aqua Dots bead toys that contain a chemical that has caused some children to vomit and become comatose after swallowing them.

Scientists have found the popular toy's coating contains a chemical that, once metabolized, converts into the toxic "date rape" drug GHB, or gamma-hydroxy butyrate, U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission spokesman Scott Wolfson told CNN.

The arts and craft beads, aimed at children 4 years and older, have been selling since April at major U.S. retail stores as "Aqua Dots" and in Australia under the name "Bindeez Beads."

Okay, China toymakers - wtf already?
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Cherri Tart

i SAW that on the news yesterday!  *blushes* i have to admit, my first thought was where do i buy it?  that said, i missed the part about kids going comatose...   :-[  >:(

you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

kongming

My 6yo sister likes Bindeez beads. That being said, she's old enough not to eat them, and just makes stuff with them, but still, that doesn't mean they're not a threat to many other children out there.

Kinda' scary.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Bliss

That's good that your sister's been taught to know better than to eat them... but one of the kids talked about in the article is apparently 10, and doesn't seem to know better!
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Cherri Tart

*shy smile* i still have problems eating things i'm not supposed too... ;)

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Celestial Goblin

That's hardly a big deal.
Last time I bought a Chinese toy, it contained ninjas who proceeded to cut everyone's heads off!

Cherri Tart

O/O, Cherri Flavored

kongming

The last time I bought a Chinese toy, Guan Yu emerged and annihilated a city.

But that's okay, it was meant to do that.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:

Cherri Tart

which city?  really, you need to keep your pets on a leash, young lady.  and don't forget to clean out his box!

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Sabby

I was unloading a crate at a warehouse and it was covered in dust. I asked what the hell it was, it said it was China dust. The box had arrived from China, and I have no idea what it was but me and three other employers were out of our minds.

kongming

Opium, clearly.

Wait, opium was sent to China, not from.

Ons/Offs:

Apple of Eris

Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking