Your Avatar and what it says about you.

Started by Sherona, June 02, 2008, 11:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherona

Ok we had a small discussion about this and I would love to see it build. I am one of those avatar happy people who do notice and watch people's avatars. I think many of us grab avatars that speak about ourselves personally. What I am asking is why did you choose your avatar?

I will go first.

This avatar I am using just really kind of reflects me on both a mental, and physical level. The physical is obvious for those who know anything about me, I am a redhead and that lady in the avatar has the exact shade of red that I have, though her hair is about a foot too short :P

Mentally the avvie just speaks of a dreamer, of a fantasizer and really isn't that what most people who create fiction are?

The Great Triangle

This avatar contains lots and lots of triangles, and the picture itself also communicates something about me.  Also, it's from the 2nd best anime of 2007.  I'd get a picture from the best anime, but there aren't very many characters from that anime made of triangles. 

*goes off to try and find one anyway*

My other avatars, the vorpal bunny from monty python covered in blood, and the planetary non euclidian triangle, suggest things about me as well.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Swedish Steel

I got mine as punishment. I don't quite think the punishment fitted the crime, I wasn't being that horrible!
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

Elvi

Mine is very simple.
When I came onto elliquiy, I made myself an avatar which to me, depicted the essence of Elvi, it went through one update change and I simply stuck to that.

Many people, after seeing photographs of myself in real life, said it was a lot like the real me, it hadn't been a conscious move, but I have to agree there was some likenesses.

Then Strangely got Daz and I asked him to make me a picture of how he saw me, it turned out very similar to my old 'elvi' and I now use it as my avatar.
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Elvi

Quote from: Swedish Steel on June 02, 2008, 12:50:35 PM
I got mine as punishment. I don't quite think the punishment fitted the crime, I wasn't being that horrible!

Oh yes you were!...

And yes, it was just a simple black and white Hello Kitty, until some really nasty and horrible person attacked it with their paint shop pro.....*grins*

Ajoxer

That explains it, Hello Kitty's fur is white I mean so I heard I don't pay attention to Hello Kitty!

And, uh... I like skulls. And purple. And Tim Burton. I honestly don't put much thought into these things. My personality is hardly stable enough to be determined so easily.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

RubySlippers

Well I was shocked mine worked but it repesents the fact I'm happily gay and really love other women. That and it may be the most distracting one you could think of its so beautiful and hypnotic, just like me.

BK Geno

Mine represents my belief that lately everything has just been FUBAR for me.

That, and I find it funny as hell.
Panic is ALWAYS an appropriate answer!

The Great Triangle

I actually don't have a depressed avatar...

I really have no idea what one for me would look like in the first place.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

HairyHeretic

Quote from: BK Geno on June 02, 2008, 04:19:48 PM
Mine represents my belief that lately everything has just been FUBAR for me.

That, and I find it funny as hell.

You have to like Black Mage. I use him on another forum I'm on, a little screeny of him saying "I'll be up on the roof killing people til it's time to go on" , or something along those lines.

This avatar is the Being of Impure Thought, one of the monsters from the Star Munchkin game. I have it here simply because its amusing, and fairly fitting :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Caeli

I think avatars reflect who you are, but also reflect who you want to be, as well. My current avatar shows her (me?) walking down a path or a road, but also looking back. I love the somber colors, and how it's subtle a representation of future, past, and present.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Cutter

I chose mine because I bear more than a passing resemblance to Mr. Crowe.

*Harold Pinter pregnant pause*

Ok, maybe not. I enjoy his films and regard him a  a fine actor despite his personal proclivity for temper tantrums and he does personify the masculine male, thus that's why I chose this particular avvie!
I am the Dark Unspoken that dwells within, weighted by the chains of your preconceptions. Release me and I shall release you.

My On's and Off's :

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13915.0

Greenthorn

You know..I don't know why I picked it..nor what it really says *frowns*

I just know it's -me-

WyldRanger

well...the only thing about my avatar is that I like anime ^_^ other then that...nothing that I can find, although I do prefer brunettes lol

Jeramiahh

Mine, I feel, emphasizes my relatively secretive nature. I like to keep things to myself, and keep my head down.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Cherri Tart

*shy smile* mine actually looks a bit like me and it's just... well, i thought her attitude was... well, very me too...
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

The Overlord

Don't always expect an avatar to have some deep profound meaning for a user. In other forums that might have been truer for me, but mine here is just a portrait of a character I run.

Kalen

When I first came to E, there was a lockdown on uploading images.  So I chose the best avatar I could find out of the ones that didn't seem to be in use. 

Then, about a month or more ago, I tired of it, and chose the current one.  My requirements... blonde, like me.  Friendly face... smiling.

I was going to maybe do one of Heath Ledger from A Knight's Tale, but as I searched for it, I settled on this one.  It's supposed to convey fun, friendly, sexy.  Your mileage may vary  :P

Sherona

QuoteDon't always expect an avatar to have some deep profound meaning for a user

As I said, Many of us, Not ALL of us Overlord, but thanks for sharing :)

Wow lots of different meanings and reasons :D

Kathadon

Myself I see peoples avatars as "them" on forums like this. I guess it is just the roleplay aspect.*shrugs*
Some of the goofy (to me anyway) avatars relate to the folks personality. So do the more flirty avatars.
Guys with girl avatars I often assume are playing a girl somewhere on site. *yes I realise that is abit of an stretch*

I often change mine but they typically follow a theme as I typically play a rebellious, masculine, and dark character. Not much of a stretch for me but I struggle with morally upright or female characters and can never do them justice. I often re-read my own work and when I do I found it was often over the top, unrealisticly so RP wise sometimes.

My ON'S and OFF'S:

I'll do whatever pleases but I'll bleed 'em in the end.

My BDSM test results.

Old.TheLioness

I never considered what the 'avatar' could say..I suppose I should have found a picture of a Lioness, but decided that of all the things I could have chosen...just me was good enough.  This is the venue I have chosen to be open in my creativity and sexuality..my passionate nature, so i will be visible like my true nature-no longer hidden in the ancient and limiting tradition of the expectations placed on an arab woman, Muslim or otherwise.
We are as water, taking the shape of whatever vessel into which we are poured..choose your vessel wisely.

MagicalPen

Mine has gone through several changes. The current one is the Forum Mascot at another Forum I am a Mod at (and i post as der PanzerPenguin from time to time). My handle on most games is PanzerPenguin, or Penguin if the former is too long, so i suppose its a part of me. There is no R in Silvestine -- relates to people mispelling SILVESTINE more times then I can count (just like they do my last name - its a silent G!) so yeah, very fitting.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

NightBird

There are more comments here. It's an old thread, so there's no reason to revive it, but I remember finding the topic very interesting.  *smiles*

Zakharra

I have mine because it's who I want to be. I found the picture many years ago at Elfwood (which I still visit occasionally). I like the pensive look she has and her figure fit that a drow woman would have. Not all have huge boobs that never sag. She's more.. realistic I guess. *shrug* Her, I want to be.

Elvi

Quote from: NightBird on June 03, 2008, 10:37:51 AM
There are more comments here. It's an old thread, so there's no reason to revive it, but I remember finding the topic very interesting.  *smiles*

It's interesting to read what people said then and what they have said now...