News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Iranian president: 9/11 was 'big lie'

Started by Callie Del Noire, March 07, 2010, 01:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

(CNN) -- Two days before his official trip to Afghanistan, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad called the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, a "big lie" intended to pave the way for the invasion of a war-torn nation, according to Iranian state media.

Ahmadinejad, known for his harsh rhetoric toward the West and Israel, said the attack on U.S. soil was a "scenario and a sophisticated intelligence measure," Iran's state-run Press TV reported Saturday.

The assault was a "big lie intended to serve as a pretext for fighting terrorism and setting the grounds for sending troops to Afghanistan," Press TV reported Ahmadinejad as saying.

It's not the first time Ahmadinejad has denied a historical tragedy. In the past, he has denied the existence of the Holocaust, which claimed the lives of some 6 million Jews during World War II, and suggested Israel should be "wiped off the map."

"Today," he said Saturday, "with blessings from the Almighty, the capitalist system, founded by the Zionists, has also reached an end," Press TV quoted Ahmadinejad.

Ahmadinejad's comments Saturday came just two days before his visit to Afghanistan to meet with Afghan President Hamid Karzai, according to the semi-official Iranian Labour News Agency (ILNA).

Ahmadinejad has blamed the "problems in its eastern neighbor" on foreign troops there, ILNA reported Sunday.

The one-day trip is the first for both leaders since their re-election, ILNA reported. Ahmadinejad's re-election last summer prompted thousands to take to the streets of Tehran in protest.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/03/07/ahmadinejad.afghanistan/index.html?hpt=T2

Just the latest of his looney wacky statements.
(Like the comment that there were 'No homosexuals in Iran')
Seriously, how can this guy be believed by his how people? Oh yeah.. he's stuffs the ballot box.

I do wonder how long the folks backing him will continue to do so? Surely there is someone under their thumb who sounds more rational?

Jude

There are Americans who believe the same retarded thing--it's not surprising that Mr. Holocaust denier would pick up on that politically advantageous (albeit it demonstrably false and ridiculous) theory.  This was non-news for me.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Jude on March 07, 2010, 01:12:53 PM
There are Americans who believe the same retarded thing--it's not surprising that Mr. Holocaust denier would pick up on that politically advantageous (albeit it demonstrably false and ridiculous) theory.  This was non-news for me.

True, but most of the deniers didn't make a bunch of capital on it earlier on. I'm trying to find a article  on his past comments about 9/11 but I'm sure he said something along the lines of 'proper punishment' for us to have it happen or some such thing.

Trieste

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Trieste on March 07, 2010, 01:53:05 PM
*cough* Michael Moore *cough*

Mr. Looney Toons thinks 9/11 is a hack job? <I miss his early work..before he went totally bonkers>

Trieste

Don't know. I don't pay that much attention to him, but this Iranian guy is not the only one to make (LOTS) of capital out of being, you know, crazy.

Merlyn

Heh, not only do many believe that 9/11 didn't happen, but many also claim that Osama Bin laden doesn't exist.  Instead he is actually Barrack Obama with a beard and costume.  It really is rather amazing what some people can dilute themselves into believing just so that they don't really have to feel something tragic for what it is.
Check here if you care why I haven't been around.
Why must all of humanity be consumed by such insanity?

"I know not with what weapons world war three will be fought with, but world war four will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein.

Ons and Offs

TheLegionary

I liked your point, Merlyn.

As a matter of fact, I would like to remember that mankind has never reached the Moon. And that there were Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq. Or that the fall of Vietnam would precipitate the fall of other countries in South East Asia. Or that Pearl Harbour was a plot of the English and Russians to draw the Americans into WWII. Or that the Reform of the Healthcare system is the first step towards communist. Or that water causes cancer...

I think not even Michael Moore would believe 9/11 did not exist...

Doomsday

I'm pretty sure Ahmedinejad is just an IRL Troll.

TheLegionary

Thank you for the clarification!!!
I thought he was working for the Mossad or the CIA!!!

Destiny Ascension

I'd love to see him act so tough when we shove a boot courtesy of a F-35 up his ass... >_>
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
Andraste's flaming sword! I know where babies come from!

Callie Del Noire

Actually I'm betting he (and his fundie bosses) are going to wind up hanging from street lights by their turbans like their forebears did back in the first half of 20th century before the Shah took power.

They didn't listen to the political winds back then either.

Trieste

A little on the disturbing side, guys.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Trieste on March 07, 2010, 11:05:35 PM
A little on the disturbing side, guys.

Sorry, look at the way they (him and his bosses) are ignoring the same people that put them into power 30 years ago. It was the folks in the cities that gave them the basis to grab power that voted against him this time and he's had his thugs stomping on.

Strungintandum

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 07, 2010, 11:46:07 PM
Sorry, look at the way they (him and his bosses) are ignoring the same people that put them into power 30 years ago. It was the folks in the cities that gave them the basis to grab power that voted against him this time and he's had his thugs stomping on.

Which is really unsurprising since the root of power for the original revolution was cultural in essence. Those in power in Iran now were put in place by a system developed out of a culture that was heavily reliant on religion for its identity. Since the religion in question is inflexible, so are the powers that be that grew out of the religion. What's happening now is a cultural shift that an inflexible regieme cannot cope with through subtle changes in policy, they have to either come out strongly in the reformist or non-reformist camp. So what they now have is a culture that is amorphizing (and has been for some time) and a government that cannot. As long as the cultural trends continue to diverge from the roots that put that government in power, the government will either be forced to shed the most fundamentalist non-reformists or those non-reformists will have to keep the culture from continuing to diverge (likely through the passage of ever more draconian law and manipulation of the media).

It is also strongly possible that a major world event that threatens the cultural identity or physical borders of Iran might serve to galvanize the fundamentalist non-reformist camp and stymie the cultural divergence. This is why they are always blowing the horn of alarm and spreading fears of U.S. led invasion. This tactic works wonders in a strongly nationalist society, one not need look farther than the United States.

Cythieus

The man lives in a country larger than Texas and thinks there's absolutely no gays existing inside of their borders...can we really take him seriously?