British Petroleum's media blackout

Started by Vekseid, June 12, 2010, 03:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Anderson Cooper speaks out on Gulf Media blackout

BP and U.S. Coast Guard Threaten CBS Reporters With Arrest For Filming Oil Spill

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/us/10access.html

Mr. Nelson’s office said the Coast Guard agreed to accommodate the reporters and camera operators. But at about 10 p.m. on the evening before the trip, someone from the Department of Homeland Security’s legislative affairs office called the senator’s office to tell them that no journalists would be allowed.

"They said it was the Department of Homeland Security’s response-wide policy not to allow elected officials and media on the same ‘federal asset,’ " said Bryan Gulley, a spokesman for the senator. "No further elaboration" was given, Mr. Gulley added.

Damning.

Trieste

I bet you they're pissed off because of the backlash from that series of photos of the dying birds. I think it was pelicans? It had people crying all over the country.

Vekseid

They can only bribe and threaten so many. Especially if this ends up hitting North Carolina.

Oniya

North Carolina?  Wouldn't that entail going out and around Florida?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Will

I guess maybe the Gulf Stream could carry it that way?

So why even issue these statements to begin with, that people would be free to talk?  It's easy enough to prove them as liars, as shown in the video, so... why?  I hate to call somebody stupid outright, but wow.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Vekseid

The current hugs the East Coast from Florida all the way up to North Carolina. It won't be nearly as thick as where it hits the Gulf, but still.

Colossal fuckups always involve a healthy dose of stupidity. That's why we call them fuckups.

Oniya

*nods and files under 'Ocean currents' in the Storehouse.*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17