News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Legend of Korra.

Started by Wolfy, March 17, 2012, 05:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

You know, that Sequel to "Avatar: The Last Airbender"?

Yeah...it's premiering on April 14th.

Why are there so many days between now and then? It's not fair. >_<

Shjade

While I must say that Avatar:TLA didn't impress me (friends kept raving about it until I watched it, just didn't seem like anything special - good, but not great), what little I've seen of Korra does have my interest. Might be that it looks a little more grown up - older Avatar, plot seems a little less coming-of-age-story. I dunno. Looking forward to it in any case.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Kunoichi

Oh yes, definitely looking forward to this one. ^^

Shjade

Yeah, see, from that trailer? I already care more about Korra's Avatar than I ever did about Aang at any point in the series. She just looks more layered than he ever sounded or felt.
◕/◕'s

Kunoichi

...So, the first episode has been leaked online. ^^; Anyone else seen it?  I found it rather interesting, and I'm really loving how the setting has advanced...

Chris Brady

Quote from: Shjade on March 18, 2012, 08:15:18 AM
Yeah, see, from that trailer? I already care more about Korra's Avatar than I ever did about Aang at any point in the series. She just looks more layered than he ever sounded or felt.
Uh...  All I see is the typical angry female lead trying to prove herself to the world.  How is that more layered than Aang's young boy growing to his role as leader?

I'm not seeing it.  It doesn't look and more, or less, 'layered' than before.

But then I much preferred Sokka.  A non-Bender able to keep up with this Bender friends.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

BCdan

I saw it leaked too, I think a whole lot of people have seen the first episode now because it was leaked. 

Korra is an awesome character.  I don't think anyone has to worry about her. 

~I enjoy random PM's~

Shjade

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 18, 2012, 02:33:22 PM
Uh...  All I see is the typical angry female lead trying to prove herself to the world.  How is that more layered than Aang's young boy growing to his role as leader?

I'm not seeing it.  It doesn't look and more, or less, 'layered' than before.

Mostly it's the difference in how they interact with their respective environments. Yeah, Korra looks like she's a safe bet to place square in the "resentful rebel youth" column in some respect, but she's at least there, taking part in it. Aang was sorta...how to put it...basically, because of a) the time-hop, b) his difficulty coming to terms with being the Avatar, and 7) his preference to stay more or less a kid as long as he could, he ended up fairly detached from the world. He explored it, yes, but he rarely seemed like he belonged in it or was a part of it. The only time I recall him really acting on the world around him in more than a doing-what-I-want-before-I-blow-town sort of way it was when he hooked up with the lead earthbender guy, and that was because he'd known him pre-time-hop. It made him fairly static as a character, since he wasn't willing to let the world have much effect on him, or vice versa if he could help it. This changes more in the last season when shit gets real, son, but by then it's mostly just combat/direct conflict, not really a coming to terms kind of thing. I just never found myself able to care about him because it seemed like he was trying his hardest not to care either for the longest time.

Rebel youth might be cliche, but at least it's a direct interaction with society (specifically rebelling against it) instead of trying to ignore it altogether.

Granted, this is just what I'm getting out of a 90 second trailer.
◕/◕'s

Chris Brady

Quote from: Shjade on March 18, 2012, 04:20:20 PM
Mostly it's the difference in how they interact with their respective environments. Yeah, Korra looks like she's a safe bet to place square in the "resentful rebel youth" column in some respect, but she's at least there, taking part in it. Aang was sorta...how to put it...basically, because of a) the time-hop, b) his difficulty coming to terms with being the Avatar, and 7) his preference to stay more or less a kid as long as he could, he ended up fairly detached from the world. He explored it, yes, but he rarely seemed like he belonged in it or was a part of it. The only time I recall him really acting on the world around him in more than a doing-what-I-want-before-I-blow-town sort of way it was when he hooked up with the lead earthbender guy, and that was because he'd known him pre-time-hop. It made him fairly static as a character, since he wasn't willing to let the world have much effect on him, or vice versa if he could help it. This changes more in the last season when shit gets real, son, but by then it's mostly just combat/direct conflict, not really a coming to terms kind of thing. I just never found myself able to care about him because it seemed like he was trying his hardest not to care either for the longest time.

Which ended at the second season.  He became a lot more focused and determined as the series went on.  But that was one of the hallmarks of the series, the characters changed and grew visibly.

Quote from: Shjade on March 18, 2012, 04:20:20 PMRebel youth might be cliche, but at least it's a direct interaction with society (specifically rebelling against it) instead of trying to ignore it altogether.

Granted, this is just what I'm getting out of a 90 second trailer.
However, as much as I am honestly bored of 'rebel youth', I trust Nick to have her grow and change for the better, like they did with Aang.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Alysanthia

While I desperately want to watch the leaked episode...

I'm gonna be a good Avatar'd and wait till April. xD

But a bunch of my friends downloaded the episode and said it was so freaking mind blowingly awesome.

Kunoichi

I wouldn't necessarily call it 'mind-blowingly awesome', but it definitely did leave me wanting to see the rest of the series.  It was just a generally-great episode all around, and if the rest of the show lives up to that level of quality, it's going to be an instant classic. ^^

Alysanthia

korranation.tumblr.com

They are gonna post the first two episodes this Saturday.

Jag

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 18, 2012, 02:33:22 PM
But then I much preferred Sokka.  A non-Bender able to keep up with this Bender friends.

I liked Suki. ^^
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Chris Brady

Jag

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 23, 2012, 04:26:02 PM
Suki was awesome.  :)

I wonder how her and Sokka's kids turned out.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Michi No Sora on March 23, 2012, 04:27:51 PM
I wonder how her and Sokka's kids turned out.
I think you can find the a lot of fan speculation on DeviantArt.  Although the guy in the trailer who looks at the 'camera' and says 'She's the Avatar' is likely to be a grandkid of theirs.

Jag

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 23, 2012, 04:31:32 PM
I think you can find the a lot of fan speculation on DeviantArt.  Although the guy in the trailer who looks at the 'camera' and says 'She's the Avatar' is likely to be a grandkid of theirs.

DeviantArt also puts Suki with Uncle Iroh and Kitara with Zuko. :P But yes, that guy does look like Sokka and talk like him.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Michi No Sora on March 23, 2012, 04:42:29 PM
DeviantArt also puts Suki with Uncle Iroh and Kitara with Zuko. :P But yes, that guy does look like Sokka and talk like him.

Likely.  I wonder what happened to Toph, to be honest.  Of the Bender characters, she was my favourite, second was Zuko.  It was clear she had a crush on Sokka, and there doesn't seem to have been much of an epilogue for her.

(Admittedly, I need to finish Season 3 of the first series...  I think I can buy it for 15 bucks on iTunes...  Once I get more cash...)

Jag

They don't really show you much of what happens to any of them by the end of the series. The only one that gets an 'after the credits' type of finish is Zuko.

Chris Brady

Admittedly, he was a fan favourite.

Jag

I do wonder if the story will explain what happened with that little scene. Cause it left it open for Zuko to pretty much have his own series, but if this is far enough in the future for a new Avatar, then it's likely that they won't go much into it.

Chris Brady

They could, should they want, to make a movie out of Zuko's life.  However, yes, the new series, according to various sources takes place at least one hundred years after the first series.

Jag

It would have to be at least 100 years since fire is the avatar before air. So there have been two other avatars who have lived out their lives after Aang before Korra comes into the world, plus, Aang had to live out his life span too. I think it goes Earth, Water, Fire, Air for the avatar cycle.

As for movies, they need to find a different director, different actors, and different script writers from the last one before doing another. :P

Chris Brady

I meant an animated film, done by the Nick team who did the original and new series.  Sorry.

Not the travesty that doesn't exist.